Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Sandra, I agree but I have to some kind of lip color, stain, or gloss too. Also need to cover up age spots

Whippetmom, I wouldn't normally get the connection between dog toys and makeup brushes...

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,315

I'm with Sandra.  I don't bother with any of it anymore except occasionally a bit of eyeshadow.  Sometimes I remember to use that Tangee "lipstick" that turns whatever color is best for your skin.  (you can still get it at the Vermont Country Store)

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Hi i agree with Deborah, my PS over filler my 400cc TE by 200cc to reach 600cc and it made my life miserable for 9 months.  

Now trying to find the right implant since i ended up with bad results. 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750

To sort of quote an old Barbara Streisand movie, "Why wear make-up? It's the same old me, just in color." Happy Up until last year I wore it everyday because I was working. But after having a stroke, then all these breast cancer surgeries, I don't care. If I were younger it would be different but I'm 65 now. I earned the right to go without...unless we're talking about eyebrows. Gotta have 'em.

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126

I'm with you Sandra!  I rarely wear it - only when dressing up!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

Over on another thread, they were discussing the best makeup for older/AI-ravaged skin. I bought one brand and tried it last week.

It was like BEIGE SPACKLE!!!! Showed up wrinkles, pores, and defects I didn't even know I had. Seriously. I could have troweled it on. 

Will stick to my "moisturizer/sunscreen only" regimen except for really special occasions.

(Plus, whenever I take my makeup off - with extremely gentle Neutrogena wipes - I always lose more eyelashes.)

Devil

Whippetmom - you are the Retail Therapy Warrior. I heard that Loehman's closed????

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

I keep a bit of a tan all year long so I haven't worn any type of foundation or powder for years and years, probably 25 or more.  I do, however almost always wear shadow, liner and mascara.  My eyes have always been my best feature,  fairly dark brown with quite long, curled lashes.  A bit of color on my eyes makes a huge difference in how 'pretty' I feel.  Takes less than 5 minutes and is well worth it.  That being said, I felt a bit like crap this morning and not very pretty because of it, so my face is naked except for just mascara today......

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Sandra...I am only a year and a half younger than you! Loopy 

Actually, as we age, it is better to use a more emollient and lighter weight (light to medium coverage) foundation, or a tinted moisturizer.  I diligently research the Environmental Working Group - the agency that rates sunscreens and cosmetics for safety and purity of ingredients.   I wear a sunscreen every day, all day, even if I am staying inside all day...and a tinted sunscreen is a perfect option.  I just ordered the Suntegrity 5 in 1....tinted.

EWG Rating of Sunscreens

Suntegrity 5 in 1 - ....or just their sunscreen/primer....an Allure Best Product....

Suntegrity

Okay....that is enough of ME hijacking my OWN thread!!!  LOL

YES....Loehmann's closed and it was a sad day for moi.  

• whippetmom

sweetandspecial:  Why do you feel terrible this morning?

• sweetandspecial

Oh, just some intestinal discomfort for the past few days.  It's very unusual for me to get this kind of bug and I'm not the best patient with this sort of thing Bawling. BMX, TEs, exchange - I can handle all those!  But give me a minor dose of the pottyhouse trots and I fall apart......lol!  I did go home at lunch time and got in about a 20 minute nap which helped a bit with my attitude.  I'm just hoping all is well by this weekend so my California Dreaming getaway is nothing but enoyable Loopy

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Sweetstanspecial hope you feel better soon. I had my second opinion consult today and i am very happy at least now i have hope. The new PS seam to be in the same page as me and he is wiling to try and fix my issue ;) for the first time in 6 months i am smiling coming out of that hospital. I am so happy i still cant believe i will get it fix. ;)

• sweetandspecial

Great news Enerva!  Just another little turn in the road so the journey remains scenic.......

• whippetmom

Feel better soon Lisa Jayne!  

• sandra4611

Good news Enerva.

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Enerva, hoping this is just the start of many smiles and you get what will please you.

S&S, wishing you didn't have to go thru this, better now than next week? So glad you have the new avatar so we can see your beautiful, smiling face. Not that your last one was bad......

• budrfligal13
    budrfligal13 Member Posts: 105

Hi ladies.  I thought I would kindly ask an opinion, per the suggestion of others on Exchange City.

Rib cage, just below expanders:  36 inches

I have Mentor expanders.  I will be getting Mentor silicone gels in either 700cc or 750cc

My PS told me she only uses high projection, not ultra high. (this is her preference with expansion surgery).

Is there anything else you need?

Thanks

• budrfligal13

OOps, sorry.....I am 5'6 and 150lbs.  However, I am losing weight, as I Spin everyday and eat extremely clean.  I have no fat on me except for the chemo pooch.....

• budrfligal13

OOps, sorry.....I am 5'6 and 150lbs.  However, I am losing weight, as I Spin everyday and eat extremely clean.  I have no fat on me except for the chemo pooch.....

I am on the athletic side.  Not thin, but not heavy, except for the pot!

• sandra4611

Bud,

What is the size and capacity of your TE's. There are many different sizes and kinds.

• budrfligal13

Exchange is July 25th.  I saw my PS today because my left one never seems to hold the saline like the right side does.  She explained that my left side is "sweating" through the port.  I am going back next week to see if she needs to fill the left a little more again.  She also said that she will fill it 4 weeks before the exchange if needed and even at the time of exchange as needed.  She believes the right side is maxed out.

• budrfligal13

Exchange is July 25th.  I saw my PS today because my left one never seems to hold the saline like the right side does.  She explained that my left side is "sweating" through the port.  I am going back next week to see if she needs to fill the left a little more again.  She also said that she will fill it 4 weeks before the exchange if needed and even at the time of exchange as needed.  She believes the right side is maxed out.

• budrfligal13

Sandra, My mentor expanders are low high contour profile, style 6100. Fill to 550, however, my implants will be 700 or 750.

My skin has great elasticity.  My PS does not give cards for the expanders, only the implants, which I know.

• whippetmom

Thank you Sandra....ThumbsUp  Saved me asking that question....

budrfligal13:  The sizing sounds fine to me.  Perhaps 700 ccs would be sufficient, since you have plans to lose some weight.  But again, your PS will have both available in the OR and determine which fills the pocket best.  

Deborah

• budrfligal13

Thank you whippetmom.  ThumbsUp

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

budrfligal13 - LOVE your avatar!!!

• dorthi
    dorthi Member Posts: 10

I just met with my PS and am stressing about what he had to say. He wants to do immediate implants after the surgery which I guess  fine but he said the Dr that's going to do the radiation wants me to have a space of 5 cm between the implants so she can do her job without the implants getting in the way. He said that's pretty far apart. Am I going to look hideous when this is over? 

• dorthi

I just met with my PS and am stressing about what he had to say. He wants to do immediate implants after the surgery which I guess  fine but he said the Dr that's going to do the radiation wants me to have a space of 5 cm between the implants so she can do her job without the implants getting in the way. He said that's pretty far apart. Am I going to look hideous when this is over? 

• dorthi

• sandra4611

Dorthi, 5 cm is 1.9 inches. How close does your breast surgeon recommend? Mine are about 1 inch apart. I had direct to implants too. I suppose a lot will depend on what size and kind of implant you are going to get. You sure don't want them so wide that they are under your arms. The real expert on this forum is Whippetmom. If you will post your height, weight, measure around your chest under your breasts, and tell her what you want to look like after surgery, she will have a recommendation for you.

Having radiation after implants are placed means you will get a chance to heal from the surgery before your skin has to undergo the challenge of radiation. Doing reconstruction after mastectomy is not always successful because radiated skin has a higher than normal chance of not healing. (My plastic surgeon says only about 50% of women with radiated skin are successful.)

• Huz
    Huz Member Posts: 8

Hi Whippetmom,

I met with the PS and the she recommends the Sientra 425cc high profile shaped. She concluded the 410 may not be as nice on me as they would not be as round/full on the bottom as the Sientra. MyTEs are 400 but she recommends 425 to maintain the approximate same size. She also confirmed she will do some fat grafting. Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks again for all your expertise.

Huz