Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

JennieK please read the full header up top for Whippetmom to give you an accurate evaluation. If you’re not sure of some information please contact your PS office. Whippetmom os not as active on this board as she used to be hopefully you get the info posted before she pops up next. She is truly amazing with sizing if she has all of the info requested.

Hugs,

Michelle

• veggal
    veggal Member Posts: 261

I've heard that larger silicone implants can be custom made. That way you could get your silicone and the size you want, too. 

• Gloriana1952
    Gloriana1952 Member Posts: 4

Unfortunately custom implants are not a possibility for me. I can only choose one of the two offered (both Mentor). I hope someone will be able to offer some perspective for me. Thanks

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Gloriana - When she checks in, Whippetmom will still need the model # of your TEs as stated in the header. You should have gotten a card from your doc, but you can call the nurse to get that info.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Julia81:

I think that an extra full projection style smooth round Allergan Inspira would be a good style, with a size range of 550 ccs to 620 ccs.. I would not advise going braless. What is holding up the implants? Skin, primarily. Like a rock in a very thin sock.
  • whippetmom

munmunmary

What did you end up with? Hopefully more than 300 ccs.....

• whippetmom

borogirl

You want the implant, in most cases, to be larger than the tissue expander. Every plastic surgeon has a different view regarding sizing. There is no hard and fast rule. A 450 cc implant will be smaller than a 450 cc TE. I am referring to a 450 cc TE, not a 450 cc TE overfilled to 600 ccs. You have to look at the dimensions of the implant and dimensions of the TE.

• whippetmom

TRMTAB

Yes, as Coach Vicky said, so beautiful! Thank you so much for the reminder about gratitude!❤️❤️ I look forward to hearing about your results!

• whippetmom

JennieKeaton

I do not have access to the AirExpander sizing right now. In a reconstructed breast envelope, you would see very little difference between an anatomical implant and a round implant. If you go with an anatomical, I would advise only a high profile or extra full profile. A moderate would be fairly flat in terms of projection.

• whippetmom

I will provide more answers tomorrow.

• whippetmom

JennieKeaton:

Okay, I have the sizing info now for your AirEx's. 12.5 cm width and 8.0 cm projection. There is no anatomical implant which matches the dimensions of your TEs. That is the caveat with anatomicals. The implant needs to match the pocket dimensions, or the implant is at risk of rotating or distorting the pocket. Look at the Allergan Inspira implants - SCF or SRF - (you might like the SRF better) - I will check the sizing and edit this response.

You have several options. SRXbis the smooth responsive gel, extra high profile style implant. In this style, I would suggest 470 ccs or 495 ccs. You would be closer to a C cup with this style. The other option is SRF, the full profile style version. With this style, 415 ccs is my reccomendation.

• whippetmom

Gloriana:

Yes, I had two whippets but we are down to one now. I love greys also.

I think that, unless you planned to lose 50 pounds, you had better go with the Mentor saline implant that overfills to 960 ccs. Many of us lost weight after breast reconstruction, and our bra size increased. The largest silicone will be the Inspira SCX or SRX, 800 ccs. The width is 15.5 cm and the projection is 6.7 cm. Perhaps the Inspira would be an option, if fat graft transfer could add some volume. That is a pretty good sized implant.

One thing to consider is that it is easier to go larger at some point, but not so easy to go smaller. Pocket revision would have to be done to reduce the size for smaller implants, and the pocket narrowing does not always "hold".

• whippetmom

Gloriana: Wait - just read your response to VegGal. Why only Mentor? Where are you that your PS would not have access to Allergan?

• Gloriana1952

Whippetmom, thank you for your advice. I’m in the Ozark area. My PS has stated that she only uses Mentor - I don’t know if that’s a professional preference, or if there’s another reason. But I won’t be switching doctors at this point. I had thought that saline would be more comfortable, since the TEs feel kind of like rocks at this point. Do the actual saline implants have any more “give” to them? Thanks again

• Ebronson19
    Ebronson19 Member Posts: 4

Dear whippetmom,

I'm hoping you can give me some food for thought on implant sizes to discuss with my PS before I schedule the exchange surgery. I had a double nipple/skin sparring mastectomy in June 2018, and just completed chemo, I will not need radiation. I told my PS that I would like to be the same size or a little bigger/fuller so that made me a good candidate for the nipple/skin sparring (combined with my cancer location/margins). Here's my info:

5' 6.5" 125-130lbs, pre-surgery I had a 28" rib, and currently I have a 29" rib. I carry most of my weight in my hips, and have a 'bony' chest/shoulders.

Pre-surgery I wore 30D or 32D bras mostly. I always wore push-up bras too because my breasts were full on the bottom but there wasn't much in the top half.

My TEs are Mentor 300cc TEXP110RH, and measure 11cm diameter with a 6cm projection. I had a 10.5cm base width pre-surgery measured by PS.

I am currently overfilled to 350cc, and PS told me he would like to stop at 400cc. He prefers to overfill.

My implants (and TEs currently) will also be placed over the muscle with alloderm, and PS plans to do fat grafting. I'm ok with over-the-muscle implants, not sure about the fat grafting yet.

My PS doesn't have a preferred brand for implants, he will get whatever I request. I did tell him I was leaning toward smooth round implants though.

I think I covered everything, whew! I would also be willing to send photos if needed, my TEs look especially strange, since as I said I am rather thin on top and you can see all the tabs on my TEs😲. But overall, I want to maintain my semi-curvy proportions that I had pre-surgery.

Thank you in advance!

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592

Hi Whippetmom - was hoping to get some feedback on my PS selection of TE and just some thoughts on his comments for a implant. I am having a UMX of right breast and probably breast reduction and lift on left breast.

First, my measurements are as follows: Height: 5' 4 1/2" Weight: 132 but that is low due to chemo. I am hoping to retain weight around 135. Rib cage circum: 31" Current bra size, I know this isn't much help, is 34 DD. My right breast, which will have the mastectomy, is larger. I'm hoping to go down to a C or small D.

My PS uses Allergan for both the TE and the implant. TE: He said he would be using Allergan TE 133FX, tall, extra projection. Implant: Allergan gelfilled smooth cohesive silicone round. He will select size based on where we end up with the fills in the TE and will bring in several shapes and sizes of implants to best match the left breast.

Let me know if you need anything further, thanks so much.

• JennieKeaton
    JennieKeaton Member Posts: 24

Hi Whippetmom -

Update - my PS uses Mentor implants. We are looking at the textured. I know it comes with some risk, but it's the only way to get the teardrop look I want with my body size/shape. Would you keep the same cc's in that?

• whippetmom

Gloriana. Saline implants will feel much softer than your TEs

• whippetmom

Ebronson:

Yes..private message me photos. I think you could use the Allergan Inspira SRX or SCX, in the 450 cc to 500 cc range, but let’s look at photos.

• whippetmom

MACTAZ

I would imagine your PS would use a TE - FX - 400 ccs or 500 ccs. It all depends on the width of your native remaining breast. The future implant size will be chosen based on the width of the TE and thesize of the reduced native breast.

• whippetmom

Jennie:

With breast reconstruction, you would not likely notice the difference between an anatomical and a round. But the anatomical would need to match the dimensions of the TE. As I stated, there is no compatible anatomical to compare to your TEs. The closest would be Allergan 410 MX, 410 ccs.

• mactaz
    mactaz Member Posts: 592

Thank you Whippetmom.

• Avefenix
    Avefenix Member Posts: 7

Dear Whippetmom,

Thank you for your input, was very useful, turns out that my PS switched from Mentor to Natrelle, and he used anatomic 360 ccs (he insisted on anathomic vs round), and the projection is just great 7 cm! Nobread buns anymore! Thank you!

• Gloriana1952

Thank you so much. I’ve decided to go with saline implants, sized to about 960cc. Reading on this forum has really helped me. My exchange surgery is scheduled for Feb. 13. Smile

Gloriana

• spankyg
    spankyg Member Posts: 12

Dear Whippetmom,

I'm new to the forum but not to the world of breast cancer. I'm hoping you can give me some advice on this very complex subject regarding implant sizes in relation to body type when doing breast reconstruction.

My History

I'm a 54-year-old female living in Ontario Canada. I was diagnosed in October 2015 with Apocrine Breast cancer of the left breast (Grade 3/Stage 1). In November 2015 I had a lumpectomy of my left breast followed by Chemotherapy, Radiation & Herceptin treatment. I finished all of the treatments in April 2017.

In October 2018, I was diagnosed with DCIS of the left breast. As a result in consultation with my surgeons I had a bilateral mastectomy of both breasts (right side was prophylactic measure) with latissimus dorsi flap surgery on the left side (due to the radiation) and expanders placed in both breasts for eventual silicone impants. The surgery was skin sparing, but not nipple sparing.

My Measurements

I am currently 5'7" tall, current weight 195lbs & current ribcage circumference 39 ½". I gained about 35lbs during the latter part of my first diagnosis while on chemo. It was due to stress eating and medication I was on for my emotional state. I intend to lose this weight & get myself back to where I was before all of this.

I was a large breasted woman (36DD before cancer) and 38DD just before the bilateral masectomy. I'm hoping to get to a D cup after all of this is done.

My Expanders

My Expanders are Mentor 550cc Style 9300. As of today I am filled to 660cc (left) & 600 (right) after four fills. I have another fill scheduled in 2 weeks.

From what I understand, my right expander is under the muscle and the left is over the muscle and under the latissimus dorsi flap.

Implants

My PS uses both Allergen & Mentor implants, depending on the needs and the patient's preference. He only uses smooth implants.

From my internet sleuthing on the topic of breast reconstruction, I believe I probably need to go with the large 800cc implant to get anywhere near the D cup that I was hoping for. The profile options however are very confusing. I'm not sure what profile is right for my body type.

My PS mentioned today that he may use the same size implants on both sides despite the latissimus dorsi flap giving me extra size on the left. He said that he considers this in many cases because the latissimus dorsi muscle eventually atrophies and reduces in size.

Thank you so much for providing women with this help.

F

• Macmom81
    Macmom81 Member Posts: 1

Hi, Im new here. Just had my surgery on January 15th for the switch to implant. Im 5'5, 145lbs and ribcage 36. Dr put in 650cc Mentor smooth high profile xtra. What size would I probably be? Had my DMX on Sept 5th.

• concerned81
    concerned81 Member Posts: 1

Hi! I just had my exchange on Jan 18th. I am wondering if the size and look of my implants will change over time. I’m having quite a bit of depression from seeing them yesterday for the first time because they look so small and flat.

Prior to bilateral mastectomy, I was a small A cup. I had a skin sparing bilateral mastectomy and my plastic surgeon put in 300cc Allergan 133MX-11-T expanders. I was only filled to around 260cc and experienced a lot of bruising and increasing pain with each expansion. The plastic surgeon originally suggested that he would use 315cc final implants.

I am 5’3, 110 pounds, with a 30 inch ribcage. After the exchange, I ended up with 255cc SCM Naturelle Inspira Cohesive implants. I’m concerned that they are too small for my body, but I’m not sure if it is because I got used to the projection from the tissue expanders. Also, it seems like most women get a lot larger implants. Is what I see in the mirror now the final look? Does the implant seem right for my body?

Thanks

• whippetmom

SpankyG

I cannot comment regarding sizing too much, because I do not have any way of determining the size or volume of your lat flap breast. I am not sure I would necessarily want the same size implant on both sizes. I have not heard of the flap atrophy issue. The objective is symmetry. Plain and simple symmetry. So if it means a 700 cc implant (which could be a high profile smooth round or a moderate plus profile smooth round, depending on the level of projection you need to gain said symmetry. TYPICALLY, the plastic surgeon brings several sizes and profiles into the OR to try, in order to see what looks best. That is the desire you want to impart to your PS.

• whippetmom

Macmom81: Go to Nordstrom - make an appointment with the lingerie department - and get measured for a bra. If you are not near a Nordstrom, call and ask to speak to a bra fitter who works with breast cancer patients. She can help you determine sizes to order online. Free returns and free exchanges.

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

Macmom81- Our measurements are similar... reconstructed breasts are different than augmented ones, they are wider and in some instances a bit flatter. I'm either a 34DD, 36D or 38C depending on the bra...remember when the band size increases the cup size decreases and vice versa. You may still have some swelling being so close to surgery...you def need support so go with a sports bra or coobie type bra while you wait for swelling to decrease. Good luck