Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

Comments

• Imkopy2
    Imkopy2 Member Posts: 214

concerned81- It is too soon to tell you need to take a step back away from the mirror (I know easier said then done) allow yourself time to heal and for things to settle in. Gentle hugs!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Whippetmom - Congratulations - hard to believe this thread is on page 500. Quite an accomplishment. You have unselfishly helped so many of us over the years. I want to offer a BIG THANK YOU for all that you do. You are a gem!!!

• spankyg
    spankyg Member Posts: 12

Thank you for your response Whippetmom. It is much appreciated.

I was in to see my PS today for another fill and am currently at 720cc in both expanders. The Lat Flap breast is much more substantial than the other. Even my PS is now re-thinking his notion of same size implants in both sides. He mentioned that there was a lot of fat that came along with the Lat Flap so threw out the idea of going smaller on the implant for the Lat Flap side. He's left it up to me though and my head is spinning with all of this stuff.

I guess my biggest concern overall is ensuring I get the appropriate diameter for my rib cage circumference. The PS said I was wide chested (approx 36cm width under the expanders) so I don't want to end up with implants that look like golf balls because I was fretting about projection over everything else.

Given my measurements what are your thoughts on the following implants?

-Mentor Round Xtra High Profile (790cc / 14.8cm diameter / 6.7cm projection)

-Natrelle Inspira SCX (800cc / 15.5cm diameter / 6.7cm projection)

Are those diameters wide enough?

Also if I need to go smaller on the Lat Flap side, can the Inspira SCF implants be used in combination with the Inspira SCX? I'm thinking for the Lat Flap side maybe the SCF 745 (15cm diameter / 6.1cm projection) or the SCF 770 (15.5cm diameter / 6cm projection)

The whole process is so confusing.

From your experiences are there any preference between the Mentor and the Allergan implants?

Thank you so much for your help.

If photos will help, I can PM you.

Spanky

• Cat5
    Cat5 Member Posts: 8

TO ALL YOU LOVELY FIERCE LADIES- PLEASE WEIGH IN : )

getting bilateral end of this month , please comment on any experience with sizing; (currently 38-40 C/D) 5'8-180lbs

gummi bears being inserted directly after mastectomy/ no expander- meeting with plastic surgeon next week-

any guidance so appreciated! post surgery expectations, helpful hints- brobes? etc

hoping to avoid "had i known then" & "things no one tells you before /after " etc

peace love & light to all....

• crossh
    crossh Member Posts: 28

I hope I haven't already asked this question here, I'm still figuring out how to find things on this website Happy

I'm 5 weeks post TE to implant replacement surgery, 13 weeks post BMX. I'm 58, 5'3" 130lbs, small upper body, used to wear 36C underwire bras which lifted my slightly saggy post breastfeeding breasts into a decent size with cleavage.

I currently have Mentor High profile smooth 400cc. They look ok in a bathing suit, but appear small when clothed, smaller than my real breasts. However I'm only wearing low impact sports bras right now. It'll be a while before I'm comfortable in anything else.

In two weeks I'm going back under for some skin fold over the implant issue, next to my armpit. He's going to pull it under my armpit to smooth it out. I am also scheduled to replace the 400cc with 500cc. I looked online and they are only 3/10 centimeter larger projection, 1 centimeter wider. Will this even make a difference? My skin feels tight now, do I even have room for it? I thought I wouldn't have to wear bras, from what I'm reading it looks I will. Do I have to wear supportive bras or are light sports bras ok?

• trmtab
    trmtab Member Posts: 863

Cat5, whippetmom will reply with more details when she can, but seeing your post is still waiting for some reply...I am your size 5'8" 180. I have SRX700 (Whippetmom's suggestion for me) and am very happy. I am solidly a 38D...and with an underwire bra wear a size larger than D but the look is a D, implants are wide so the underwire needs to not sit on the implant. But I am fully a D, so if you are looking for more of a C look...then perhaps something slightly smaller. Has your PS given you an estimate? TT

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Spanky:

I would think that either style of implant would be fine. You do need a wider base implant and the ones you mentioned are fine. I think that you need to settle on Mentor vs Allergan. Are you also sure that your PS has access to both? You have Mentor TEs? I ask, because you have Mentor TEs.

Yes, your PS could use a different projection on the lat side. That is what I would imagine he will need to do. I suggest that he bring three different styles and volume implants into the OR to make sure he gets the right fit and achieves symmetry bilaterally. EDITED TO ADD: No, one manufacturer is not better than the other. The Natrelle Inspira implants, however, are the newest generation on the market

• whippetmom

Cat: As TRMTAB states, something in the 700 cc range is preferable. Certainly not less than 650 ccs. B

• whippetmom

crossh

500 ccs seems like a better size for you, based on what you describe about the 400 cc implants. Personally, I would wait another two months before going under again. Give your skin time to stretch out a bit more. P

• spankyg
    spankyg Member Posts: 12

Thanks for the reply whippetmom.

My PS told me that he uses both Mentor & Allergan depending on the patients needs and preferences.

• whippetmom

Spanky: Then I would go with the Inspira - probably the SRF - the responsive gel, because the cohesive gel -SCF - might be a bit too firm in competition with the lat side.

• desertpup
    desertpup Member Posts: 18

Hi! New here but so happy to have some information. I'm week 5 after a bmx with straight to implants. I too think mine are too big. One is larger and droopier than the other and I too feel like they're too close to armpits and when laying down are headed that way. I massage my scars and wear my compression all the time as advised so I think I'm doing the right things. I just hope my ps will see the lopsidedness and agree to go smaller and away from my armpits more. I would not be happy staying where I am. Is that common for a patient to have a redo? Or will they say wait until after fat grafting or radiation, etc. I'm not in a hurry, just want to know how this works.

• minustwo

Desert Pup - please read the entire header and provide all the requested information so Whippetmom will be able to answer.

• beasgirl
    beasgirl Member Posts: 4

Hi--I have a hypothetical question about expanders. I am looking at a possible mastectomy on my right breast, having had a diep recon on my left 10 years ago. Since then, the right has been at least one size larger than the left. Is it possible that I could have a smaller implant and skip the expanders, to even things out? Not sure if this is ever done.

Another question, since I'm here--how weird does it feel to have one side implant and the other tissue recon? Do I have any other option?

Thanks. Amy

• minustwo

BeasGirl - you might also post this on the Exchange Thread (link below). There's lots of discussion about different kinds of surgery & reconstruction.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topics...

• GaGrandma
    GaGrandma Member Posts: 6

My exchange surgery was a month ago. I am 5'5" and 125 pounds/ small-framed with a narrow chest/ measure 31" at the top of my ribcage and repeatedly told my plastic surgeon I wanted to be a C cup. I know doctors don't like to talk "cups" and it is difficult to gauge exact size outcomes. I don't understand "cc's" very well. And therein lies the problem.

Every time I was "filled", I would remind my doctor that I wanted to be a C cup (which is what I was before the mastectomy) and he kept saying I should go bigger with the fills. So, I ended up with 700 cc's of saline in my expander. My expander did not look that big to me...I guess because there wasn't much in the way of cleavage. But, boy oh boy, my implants seem VERY large.

When I went for my post-op visit, the doctor estimated that I was a DDD. I was floored! I went to the nearest department store and he was right. I could wear 32DDD and 34DD bras. Although I measure 31" at the top of my ribcage, most 32 band bras are too tight. I was wearing a 34 before the mastectomy.

After talking to the doctor and explaining that I just couldn't walk around with that large of a breast, he agreed to do a revision. I am meeting with the him next week to discuss implant size for this time. He thinks he can go down 200cc but maybe more. He is going to look at me and decide at this appointment.

I presently have ultra high profile Mentor implants. One is 750cc and the other is 700cc. Do you think going down 200 cc will give me the size I desire? (Of course, I will take what I can get at this point.) I just don't know what to expect. (I am pretty sure he always uses Mentor if that helps.) I would appreciate any and all advice.

• PRides
    PRides Member Posts: 9

Dear Whippetmom,

Planning on meeting with my PS sometime over the next couple weeks to discuss implant, surgery scheduled 5/8. I know nothing so any advise will be extremely helpful. I am 5'8", 135lbs and my ribcage circumference is 31". I have Natrelle 133MX-14-T 600cc TEs. I was previously a 34D. I am currently filled 360cc on right and 200cc on left (popped and had to have replaced, needs to catch up). We are possibly doing 1 more fill on right, total 420cc in both. I am an extremely active 50 year old, enjoy running, biking, etc. I really do not care what size I am I just want to turn the page on this chapter. Thanks for your thoughts.....

• SuQu31
    SuQu31 Member Posts: 73

whippetmom, I have an appointment in a few weeks to discuss exchange surgery with my PS. I am somewhat overwhelmed by all the options available and hope you can provide some guidance. I am 5'4", 130 lbs, 31" ribcage. TEs are Allergan 133MV-13-T 400 cc. They are overfilled, but I'm not sure by how much. I wore a 36C bra prior to double mastectomy. I had LD flap reconstruction on both sides. I understand that the implants will look slightly smaller than the TE. I don't want to be a lot bigger than before, but I would not mind being a little bit bigger - the last fill on my TE gave me a nice upper definition that my saggy breasts did not have (but I will admit it looks less natural and more "shelf-like" than before that last fill). Also, I have a professional work wardrobe that I don't really want to replace, although everything I've tried on thus far has fit just fine. Any guidance you can provide would be much appreciated.

• Ebronson19
    Ebronson19 Member Posts: 4

Thank you Whippetmom!!! You are truly a breast whisperer.

I just wanted to post an update here now that I have had my reconstruction. I had asked for implant size advice around the new year and ended up pm'ing whippetmom a few photos of my expanders. This was her response:

"Thank you for the photos. I would recommend instead, SCX or SRX 340 or 375 ccs. Your TEs are widely spaced. I think they could perhaps be brought closer together ( a bit more medically) at the time of the exchange. Although, I do wonder if it is a structural reason for the more lateral placement. Talk to your PS about this. Otherwise, great size and great symmetry! It is not easy to get the nipples in the right place with a NAC sparing BMX. Yours look great. Let me know what your PS has to say."

Well, she was spot on with her recommendation! I ended up with SRX 340 ccs in both sides.

Please make sure you give her all the info requested at the top of this thread. Per her advice, I did talk to my PS about the size options, and he had given me a range at pre-op appt of 275-340 ccs depending on what fit best during the exchange. It was awesome to go into that appt with the info from this thread, and made me feel so much more confident in my decisions. We also discussed the spacing issue (for the record, I had wide-set boobs, thet never touched in the middle), but he did bring the implants closer together than the expanders. Because I had a NSM, my PS couldn't change the locations/spacing/size too much or the nipples wouldn't end up in the right spot (something I hadn't thought of until discussing the spacing issue with him).

It's only been 8 days since my exchange, but I am very happy with the outcome.

• whippetmom

Amy: Yes, you could have a one-step direct to implants. Have you discussed this with your PS? I would make sure that the plastic surgeon you select is skilled at the one-step procedure.

• whippetmom

DesertPup: Based on what you are describing, it sounds as though your pockets/skin envelope is larger than the implants, hence the migration towards your armpits. You can always private message me a photo

• whippetmom

GaGrandma:

I would think that 500 ccs should be ideal for you. However.....this means the pockets MUST be narrowed. This is called a lateral capsulorrhaphy. Smaller implants cannot be placed in those too large pockets, or the implants will be like a rock in a sock. They will migrate towards your armpits every chance they get. So this is a significant revision procedure which I would not take lightly and you might want to get a second opinion. It is always advisable to get a second opinion when considering a revision, especially when “downsizing.”

• whippetmom

PRides:

I would look at Natrelle Inspira, SRF or SCF - 560 ccs or SRM or SCM - 465 ccs. The latter is a lower profile - much more so than your MX style TEs, but you describe an athletic lifestyle and so you might prefer fewer ccs and less projection.

• whippetmom

SuQ31:

I would suggest Allergan Natrelle Inspira, either SCF or SRF, 485 ccs. This should approximate the appearance you have now, sans “shelf”

• whippetmom

Ebronson:

Congratulations! I am so very glad that it worked out for you! Your post made my day!! Winking

• SuQu31
    SuQu31 Member Posts: 73

whippetmom:

Thank you so much for your response. You are so kind to share your knowledge and information with so many on this board. I so much appreciate your advice - now I can go to the PS appointment with information to compare with what he suggests. I trust him, but I hate being without information of my own, so this means more to me than I have the words to express!

• desertpup
    desertpup Member Posts: 18

Thank you! I will get you that photo. I'm finishing up radiation and my PS says he won't even consider any changes til 6 months to a year after rads end which is fine. Is what you're describing fixable? I honestly just wanted small b cup size rounds. These measure at D cups and seem almost square or too wide. Thank you!

• whippetmom

DesertPup: It is “fixable” , but you need a PS who is skilled at revisions and is on board with your plan

• Doubledone
    Doubledone Member Posts: 2

1. My height is 5'4", weight is 180 lbs, ribcage 36",

2. Allergan 450cc - 133FX-12-T

3. Uses Allergan

4. Pre-mastectomy bra size 36DD, Have ADM underneath TE, TE are under the muscle, thin skin and large double mastectomy size.

Thank you!

• whippetmom

Doubledone:

What do you mean by “large double mastectomy size”? Do you mean you have a large skin pocket overlying the tissue expanders? I ask, because 12 cm width seems narrow for your frame. How do the TE’s look at this point? Are you at full fill - 400 ccs? I feel that you need to be at least in the 600 cc range with implants...Allergan Inspira smooth silicone rounds, SCX or SRX.