Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

I know I cant be the only lesbian out here?

Options

Comments

• raili
    raili Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2010
    Options

HA, CS, I like that idea!  bumpity bump bump!  Let's keep it in the "Active Topics" list as best we can. :)

• cancersucks
    cancersucks Member Posts: 100
    edited July 2010
    Options

oh, hi everyone (bump bump)

Can anyone tell me what they chose after chemo, I'm having a HUGE dilemma and tamoxifen doesn't seem like it' going to bring me much peace of mind but seems to be the only thing out there for women who are ER+ PR+ Her2- Anyone have any thoughts or care to share your experience?

• raili
    edited March 2010
    Options
    hey CS, not that I'm at all trying to divert traffic AWAY from this thread, but... a great place for advice on Tamox alternatives is the "natural girls" thread in the alternative therapies forum.  Well, if you're open to holistic/alternative healthcare methods!!  Tamox is the only thing out there for us ER/PR+Her2- women according to the oncologists.
  • navygirl
    navygirl Member Posts: 369
    edited March 2010
    Options

Hey ladies, good to see you all again :)

I'm heading to the onc tomorrow for a follow up; I wonder what her reaction is going to be when I tell her I didn't start the Arimidex like I said I would back in January? I'm guessing she's not going to be happy, and from her perspective I understand why. However, I have had a year of hell since I finished chemo ~ not the least of which was landing on the door step of the emergency room before Christmas because my heart rate/blood pressure shot up and no one seems to know why. I'm still on bp medicine because of it. I just in the past 4-6 weeks started feeling human again. The muscle pain, joint pain, fatigue, and heart problems just about did me in. I know I should be taking the drug for prevention, but the real issues I was having on it far out weigh the hypothetical cancer cells that still remain. I can't be wishing I was dead because I'm taking a drug that's supposed to keep me from being dead, ya know??? I'm taking my mrs. with me for back up :)

cancersucks...have you considered having your ovaries out? It puts you in a hard and fast menopause, but the symptoms from that by itself are not that bad in my experience. It was depleting the rest of the estrogen with Arimidex that did me in. I'm ok with reducing the estrogen by taking out the ovaries, and I pray that will be enough for my system to not allow the cancer to come back. Like Cas said; I'm going to live my life as it is. If the cancer comes back, I'll deal with that when the time comes. I was stage 1 and did 4 rounds of DD A/C, 12 weekly rounds of Taxol/Herceptin and then another 4 months of Herceptin every week before I had to stop because I was allergic to it and they just could not control the reaction. I do find it's best not to tell people I stopped, most of them just don't get why I would do that and I got tired of feeling like I was defending my decision all the time. Especially when the people riding me have never been in this position!

On T-shirts; I have one that says "sorry about your daughter" --- I found it dangerous to wear because I definitely DO look gay and there were a couple of men who found NO humor in it! :P

I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow --- hehehe! 

• chainsawz
    chainsawz Member Posts: 113
    edited March 2010
    Options

((((navy)))) I am so sorry you are having such a hard time with the armidex :<  I am er - so I don't have any words of wisdom, but these meds can definitely be easy on one person and totally unbearable for another.  I have a hard time with herceptin, so I can understand why you would stop if you had a bad reaction.   

I love your t-shirt....LOL!!!

• cancersucks
    edited March 2010
    Options

Hello ladies, last chemo today! (((((hopefully, fingers crossed, legs crossed, hands crossed))))

I hope everyone is moving forward and finding strength to beat this cancer to a pulp!!!!!

Navygirl: I'm going to talk about getting my ovaries and uterus out with my doc today. I know she thinks it's drastic but I want the peace of mind knowing I did all I could for it NOT to come back, then I'll probably do Tamoxifen I am leery of going on Arimidex because of boneloss and still not out of my 30's. How has it been for you thus far/ You can PM me with the answer or if it's to personal I understand. I'm in open book I figure if what I'm going through can help someone else decide that would be a bonus.

Anyone check out Melissa Ethridge on the grammy's, couple years back. (I think I spelled her last name wrong, bad lesbian, bad, bad) It was when she was going through treatment. She came on stage bald and fierce and sang "Take another piece of my heart." It was incredible. Okay, time to take a shower and get ready. Enjoy the moment folks!!! CS

• navygirl
    edited March 2010
    Options

Hey ladies, I hope everyone is as happy to see Friday come as I am...sometimes it's hard to waste a beautiful day inside an office - ok, it's ALL TIMES hard! :)

Thanks chainsawz...it's always nice when someone gets it, it makes up for all the other knuckle heads that don't. Herceptin wasn't horrible, I just threw up a lot and was very tired on it. The vomiting was a bit embarrassing at times but I figured being bald covered me so I didn't have to explain when I darted out of the room...or the meeting...or the restaurant...yuck. Don't miss that one bit. 

Today wasn't so bad after all; my onc totally understood why I didn't want to start back on the Arimidex. (of course it's not too personal cancer...anyone who knows me knows it was hell) So... I had major issues with joint pain and muscle pain but the those were the least of it. The worst thing was having my blood pressure and heart rate skyrocket about the 4th month into it. I had pulmonary hypertension and couldn't breathe - in the beginning I thought I had pneumonia. Not quite. I'm still on blood pressure medication for this, I've lost about 14lbs of the steroid weight I put on when they put me back on prednisone while they were trying to figure out wtf was wrong. I had migraines, rashes on my face and torso, fatigue as bad as chemo fatigue. I don't even remember what else :) So my reaction to it was pretty extreme. I am scheduling a full ankle replacement tomorrow with my ortho; after I am well on the mend from that I agreed to start femara; I'm willing to try it and see how it goes. I sure hope it goes better than Arimidex, hahaha! She brought up Tamoxifen but I won't even consider it. I have a liver disease already that I didn't even know about until I started the chemotherapy; my favoritest (yes, that's a word) Aunt in the whole world died of liver cancer 4 months before I was diagnosed, so I won't do something for 5 years that's known to be hard on the liver. No thanks, I have a much better chance with BC than I do LC so I told her no way on that one. Femara is a good compromise, so we'll see how it goes. 

Yes...I remember the Grammy show you are talking about, it was phenomenal - and you're right, you spelled it wrong and that makes you a bad lesbian indeed! :) I laughed out loud on that one...bad lesbian is what I say because I don't really care for the Indigo Girls. I don't dislike them, I'm just not into them as much as I apparently should be :P

Off to do home work...really, working from home when you're salaried sucks !

C u all later! 

• chainsawz
    edited March 2010
    Options

Gasp!  Navy...you don't like the indigo girls? LOL!!  I love the song 'closer to fine'....some of the others I can do without.  If you own a pair of birkenstocks then it will all even out :>

• raili
    edited June 2013
    Options

LOL, you two are funny! :)  I love the Indigo Girls... even moreso now, because, confession time, I have a total crush on my amazing surgeon and she played the Indigo Girls and Sarah McLachlan for me in the OR during both reexcision surgeries (which I was conscious for!).

I had my postoperative check-up with her today, and I'm so sad that I don't have to see her for 6 months!  I mean, I'm glad I've healed so well that I don't have to go back to her, but I will MISS her!  [further details deleted 3/14/10]

• cancersucks
    edited March 2010
    Options

Navygirl:  *Holy*Shite* What a terrible time, I had a good talk with my onc about my options. I taped it, she actually listened to me. :^o I have read so many books, studied so many hormonal therapies. I was all about Arimidex, thought it was such a better solution....nope. It was kinda like "Meet the old boss, same as the new boss, oh ya new boss wreaks havoc on your healthy bones, see ya in 5 years!" I was ready to challange my onc. Heard the same ole same;  "Tamoxifen has only a 1% chance of giving you a secondary cancer (hmm.....it's a little higher) and not to mention bloot clotting (I think that's where the aspiren comes in which I will happily take) Fatty Liver, Joint pain, thickening of the uterus lining, etc. My onc did say some women "tolerate" Tamoxifen well, I'm a gay woman, I hate the word tolerate!!! Arimidex isn't any better, but I finally decided on what I'm going to do. I wish I was a more brave soul, and told everyone "Okay, I'm done" Now I'd like to go on living my life now, no more drugs in my body, I'll leave my fate up to the Goddess above. What's next for you, where do you go from here Navygirl?

Anyway and now for something completely different. Navygirl I didn't care for the Indigogirls much either I always thought Melissa Ethridge was the 3rd Indigo girl, I was clueless, and then a gal I had a HUGE crush on made me a tape (Oh ya, be still my beating heart) She put "In Love with your Ghost" Like a girly girl ((((swoon)))) I melted on the floor into a big puddle.

ChainSawz: I don't own birkenstock, not one pair, but I will out any straight woman walking by my side, BAM!!!! I'm that gay looking and now no chest, so now it's a life of "Sir....sir.....ummm.....sir?" So now I'm just going to lower my voice and say "Ya, what up?"better then saying  "but.....I'm a girl, I'm a girl! I do get checked out by straight women but that's because they think I'm a boy hmm......what to do?

Raili: Hello to you :) I swooned over my surgeon as well. There is something about Beautiful intelligence, an altruistic soul, a humble genius with confidence, when is that not sexy and intoxicatingly alluring? A person whose made it their mission in life to try and save people.  How can one not fall? Have you seen the movie "A Single Man?" I recommend it highly, I saw it the other day, it spoke volumes to me, the loudest message was, enjoy the moment, be in the moment, I was hardly ever in the moment, I am now.  

I'm off for that much needed walk. Everyone have a beautiful weekend!!!

• GML
    GML Member Posts: 46
    edited March 2010
    Options

I'm here too...just haven't stopped in in a while.  I was called Sir before I had no boobs...now I'm thinking should I correct people or just go with it?  I had a woman actually leave the women's room while I was washing my hands mumbling about having the wrong bathroom, only to return a few minutes later....lol.  Thing is, I don't think I'm that butch.  Not like I'm wearing my wallet attached with a chain or something...and everything I wear is women's clothing...except for the socks in winter...women's socks suck and are not warm enough.  But I do wear jeans a lot and sweatshirts and other ambiguous clothing.  People in Walmart seem to have the most difficulty ascertaining my gender....hmmm....they should do a study on that particular observation.  I have one fake boob but have not ordered the other yet.  Don't see me ever wearing them but my partner says insurance covers them so I should get them.  Found myself thinking, "Well, maybe I'll wear them on special occasions".  Then wondered, "What kind of special occasion would call for fake boobs?"  Maybe Walmart trips....

Anyway....I just started on Tamoxifen three days ago which means I quit smoking three days ago.  Grrrrr....I hate quitting when it is someone else's idea.  Oncologist was adamant about not smoking due to blood clot issue and I agreed that it would suck to survive chemo hell only to die of a blood clot.  I too tossed around the idea of having my ovaries removed.  My chemo ended in late January and it put me in menopause (I enjoy the hot flashes btw...I have frozen my ass off all of my life), but I may get my cycle back.  We left it at:  lets see what happens....if my cycle does not return by November of next year (I'm 45), they'll do the arimidex (sp?). If it does, well, then we'll consider the ovary thing....except I told them to take the uterus and the damn appendix while they're in there...anything I don't need.

I decided, after consulting with several physicians, not to have radiation therapy, even tho there is a 20-40% chance it will recur in the chest wall.  I have Lupus and it acted up during the chemotherapy (it is not supposed to, but it did) and we are all concerned about what it will do in reaction to the radiation.  I was feeling kind of "doomed" for a while there but that is lessening.

My partner has been fabulous throughout all of this.  I occasionally still ask her if the no boob thing bothers her.  She continues to say that it doesn't, that she's glad to have me around as long as she can have me.  I still think it was harder on her than it was on me and I would still rather go through it all again rather than watch her go through it once.

In terms of enjoying the moment....I've waited for an epiphany like that....still find myself thinking the exact way I have always thought.  Still getting pissed off at other drivers, still worrying about stupid things.....and I know when I get back to work I'll still wish away my weeks in favor of the weekends.....I suppose it could be worse.

Glad to see all my people here.  Hugs all around!

• chainsawz
    edited March 2010
    Options

CS - you are too funny!!   I don't get the "sir", but I got the butch thing from friends.  I was always very femme - long blond hair, big boobs and lipstick.  Now I am fatter, short darker hair and flat as a board....so they make butch comments now.  I shouldn't have made so much fun of them in the past....it's all catching up to me now..LOL!!!  However, my lipstick is still firmly in place so they can stick it!! 

GML - maybe we need a tshirt to wear to walmart that says "I'm a girl...stupid"...ha ha ha!!! 

• cancersucks
    edited March 2010
    Options

GML: ((((((Big gentle hugs))))))) and I'm going to add a very uncool fist bump because that's how I roll even though I heard dapping was "not cool" anymore (My friends who are younger than me informed me of this.)

I think we are in the same place regarding treatment. I think I mortified my onc because I have done my share of research, is it me or does it kinda seem like they don't want you to do any research? I kinda feel like she's thinking "Hmm...you ingnoramous, how much could you learn from google?" I don't google, I read, a lot. Knowledge is power and being your best advocate is key, of course I did not follows these rules of thumb early on. I was a good patinet "Yes doctor, my lump is from coffee, oh ok (2 years ago) Another second opinion (6 months later) "Oh okay doctor, just take these antibiotics and my lump will go away, sure. I loved these two doctors though, they were gay, female, good bed side manner, smart but unfortunately they were wrong.  I am so glad that you having a loving partner (that is key) and you are doing the best treatment for your health right now.  What part of NY do you live in? God, how I love Manhatten but WHOA is that place stressful, talk about the city that never sleeps. My first visit to NYC, I stepped out of Penn station and tried to remember my mothers advice "DON'T LOOK LIKE A TOURIST, LOOK ANGRY SO YOU WON'T BE MUGGED AND KILLED." (((Gulp)) thanks mom.  People in NYC were nice to me, directions, etc.  So, I'm on Christopher st., I see a man who aparently is homeless dancing with a rat caught in a trap by it's tail, okay, I move on. Yes, it is very weird having hot flashes and completely relating to my 80 year mother who is staying with me through treatment, she insist and I love her company.  Today, I asked, how many hot flashes did you have, she said "5" I said "I had 8, I beat you." We both smiled, it is what it and you keep moving forward, but nope, it's not easy, but I try to find the humor in the cracks and the beauty in between.

Chainsawz, what's up with that my friend, mi bella amiga.....I wear the keys with the chain, is that bad ;) ...but....but...I'll lose the keys without the chain. Ibutch, hmmm..so not butch, I kinda look butch though, I like ties, guilty as charged, oh and sneakers. I  look pretty darn androgynous but I'm not giving up my old man plaid pants and my random shirts, one being my favorite, it pleads "Ask me about my grandchildren" Ya know what stinks!? I bought that shirt when I was 25, and people would joke with me "How are ya grandkids???" Ha ha ha! (we both chuckle)

Now.....I wear it (over 10 years later) people get this serious look on their face and then the dreaded question "How are your grandchildren, ma'am?" Ma'am, then I have to be happy because at least they didn't call me sir? Ugg :(.  .. I hear the bones creaking, time to order Readers Digest big print and stock up on my Depends, I hear Ensure is on sale at CVS this weekend, Woot Woot!

• navygirl
    edited March 2010
    Options

Ok...I don't have my note pad so I'll try to keep my thoughts together as much as possible here :)

1st...Raili, we need to talk about your stalker potential (LOL), seriously - the "tattoo my chest" cracked me up. It sounds like a little bit of mutual flirtation is going on there :)

Cancer ~ all those issues with Tamoxifen are all the reasons why I said no F/N way to that! I will try Femara and see how it goes. If I have some of the same issues I'll know it's the estrogen depletion my body doesn't like and just say "See Ya" to all the AI's. I won't be stubborn enough to discount the femara altogether, but I won't be foolish enough to be miserable either. I'm scheduled for ankle replacement surgery on April 21st so I'll start the femara once the rehab from that is well on it's way.

Chainsawz ~ I hope I'm not going to get kicked out of the club here, but, I don't own a pair of Birkenstocks either. I do have a pair of Dr. Marten's, does that count? LOL  And as hard as I try, by looking at your profile picture one could never tell that you'd get the butch thing even without the long blonde locks and big boobs! I on the other hand, have been told I clean up nice, but I can "man up" too! I'm still not sure if that's a compliment :)

GML...welcome aboard! You had me cracking up about the special occasion fake boobs, especially when I picture a trip to Walmart! I got the sir thing when I was bald...God it used to irritate me..on particularly bad day my steroid induced response was "I'm not a sir you idiot, I'm a woman with CANCER", and out the door I went. I sure hope he considered that and paid more attention to his customers the next time! I considered that for a T-Shirt! The problem with wearing the "I'm a girl..stupid" at Walmart is, people there won't or can't read it! Have any of you ever seen the emails with the pictures of shoppers outfits there? They are FUNNY! Disturbing, and funny.

I am so glad the weekend is here, I am ready for a Saturday sleep in and some time getting the chores done I neglected all week because I was working on a job application package. (I'm not getting a new job per se', just applying for a special program at work)

I'm off to surf some of the threads and then research phones...I've had it with ATT so I'm kicking them to the curb! I've been dealing with a phone that hasn't worked right since I bought it and since my dog decided to use it for a chew toy, I figured nows as good a time as any to find a new carrier!

I hope you all have a great weekend!

• navygirl
    edited March 2010
    Options

Cancer..we just missed each other...you are too funny! 

GML...I forgot one thing...before you have them yank out the uterus, look into bladder support. I have mine so I don't know how prevalent this is, but I've "heard" that the uterus supports the bladder and when it's gone you can have issues with "leaking" --- I don't mind issues with CREAKING but if I start leaking I'm gonna be pissed! My friend had to have some type of sling procedure done to her bladder after having a hysterectomy years ago. Just a thought!

• chainsawz
    edited March 2010
    Options

LOL!!  Docs are just as good as birks so you guys are safe! 

• cancersucks
    edited July 2010
    Options

Hey Chainsawz, Ok, with your permission I think I found you on Facebook and damn girl (I won't say your age) and now it sounds like your 67 but you look good, much younger. I friended you so I hope that's you and I left you some mail as well.......wait........I think I left you some mail but if I didn't, I'm going to blame it on chemo while I still can.  

Navygirl:  Whoa, thank you for the tip hmm.....if there was going to be leaking, you we're going to be pissed. (pardon the pun?) I think everyone tries to make their treatment something they can live with, I started reading "What your doctors may not be telling you about breast cancer" and my whole body went numb (but it might've been a hotflash) when I got to the part regarding chemo and Tamoxifen, umm........wow, not what you want to hear when that's what your future holds and then the suthoer (a doctor) ends it with, "go natural or else it sucks to be you?" Umm....thanks Doc! (floating in limbo) I want my money back?? No matter what stage you are I firmly believe that cancer is cancer, it's still freaking scary, support is crucial because I know this first hand (having homophobic siblings sure hasn't been in a blessing) but it is what it is and you move on.....usually organically. Peace, Love and hope to all and I'm leaving you all with a bump, a loving, warm, beautiful, non confrontatonal, unconditional bump, I think we should start to convert some of the women on BS.org.... What'cha think ladies!? I need a new toaster!!!!

• raili
    edited June 2013
    Options

Wow, we're awesome, this is the 49th post in this thread in 9 days! So glad we dusted off the lesbian forum and made it come alive! CS, you're so funny; I will Fed Ex you a toaster if you get some converts in here!!

[...]

Annnyyyway...

GML, I'm glad you're here!!! This CRACKED ME UP - "Found myself thinking, "Well, maybe I'll wear them on special occasions". Then wondered, "What kind of special occasion would call for fake boobs?" Maybe Walmart trips...."

CS, I can't believe people seriously ask you about your grandkids, geeeeez!!! And being called "ma'am," yeah, it's weird. I often don't even answer because it doesn't occur to me that someone could be talking to me. :D But more frequently, people think I'm a college student or even a teenager, and it drives me crazy.

oh people at the door gotta go even though i wasn't done!

• cancersucks
    edited March 2010
    Options

Hey Raili,

I think when you go back and see your surgeon you should ask her out for a latte, Chai or Mocca, I could be your wingman...err...wingdyke. I make a pretty darn good wingdyke or is it wingwomyn, oh what's in a title?  You have everything to gain and nothing to lose. Did you find out what kind of music she likes? Get their greatest hits as a token of your gratitude for the sparkles and sunshine that she restored within you at a pretty scary time. Girl, I say go for it. You're only young once. If were you I would but I think I might be a little more hmm.....forward than you, it comes with age and knowing what you want :) Hope the knock on the door is good news. We only end up regretting the things we wanted to do, fear of rejection is pretty potent stuff but I think it's worth a shot (wink wink, nudge, nudge)

This thread is smoking ladies!!!!!! After a productive day or a lazzzy dasicle day (are those even  words?) It's nice to show the thread some love and to all who stop by. You are very welcome here. My Goddess above, am I corney. Thrive on folks!!!!!

• chainsawz
    edited March 2010
    Options

Hey CS - I don't have a friend request?  I'm not 67 for sure....LOL!!!  I'll PM you my facebook link so you can find me :>  I gotta run, but I will stop back later!

• cancersucks
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Hey chainsawz, I totally friended your look a like but you still look younger than your age!  WOW, the woman that is not even you is just so sweet, even said sorry to me that she wasn't the woman I was looking for, cute!  Ok. Bubble bath time with candles and plenty of relaxation, I think I might mix it up a little bit with some Sade. Oh my,  I'm sooooo very gay. I need to adopt two cats quickly and go on a Dinah Shore cruise, no wait, maybe Olivia hmm......(little gerbal on wheel running at a frantic pace in my brain)
  • GML
    edited March 2010
    Options

I was laughing so hard when I read these threads that my eyes were tearing.  Everyone is so funny...I love it.  Thanks for the T-shirt idea Chainsawz....but I agree, people will probably not be able to read it....perhaps a picture of a stick woman in a dress and an arrow pointing to myself would work better.  At this point I think if I were walking around there naked from the waist down I would have men approaching me saying, "Sorry about your d***, man".

Cancersucks...that was me with the wallet and the chain comment...and no, that's not bad; I was just trying to sort out what is adding to the confusion people are having about my gender.  Some woman can pull that off.....if I wore one, they would not only think I was a man but a truck driver as well.  Your story about NYC had me cracking up.  I am a psychiatric social worker so I really LOVED and appreciated the story of the man dancing with the rat, lol, lol, lol.  I agree, I don't think the doctors like it very much when you look up information.  The doctor who did my biopsy did not think that removing my other breast prophylactically was "necessary".  I found four research artices (I did "google" I must confess) about ILC and indications for prophylactic mastectomy.  When I told my doctors about them I added that they were research articles and that I did not find them in "Women's Day".  They took the other boob off all right. BTW, I live in Madison County...about 45 minutes southeast of Syracuse.  No one dances with rats in my town...boring.

Navygirl....Thanks for the warning about the uterus.  I really need to add incontinence to my list of problems right now.....at least it explains the purpose of my uterus in particular.  Well, I suppose it could stay.

Raili...I'm pretty sure that I wore deodorant the day of my surgery...did not know about the fire hazard.  You are too funny.  Your doctor sounds great.

Keep these posts coming because I am feeling very entertained and I am still off work for a few weeks.  I am on facebook....how are we finding each other on FB on this thing?

• raili
    edited May 2015
    Options

Sigh... after spending an hour Googling "Doctor/patient friendship" and reading multiple articles on doctor/patient boundaries and all of that, I'm reluctantly deleting/editing these posts in which I've babbled on about my interactions with my surgeon and my desire to be friends.  I think if there is ANY hope in us becoming friends, it will be with clearly-negotiated boundaries, and the first step is for me to not detail it all on a public message board.

SIGH.  PM me about it if you want, though!!  

• raili
    edited March 2010
    Options

Edited to remove more ramblings... argh...

• GML
    edited March 2010
    Options

Raili  --Okay, here's my two cents...I highly doubt, based on your description of her, that she will find out you are posting about her on the internet...but I understand the paranoia about it.  I think sometimes that supersmart people (like surgeons) don't get subtleties.....I have to tell you, I'm with CS on this...think you should be a little more direct with her.  If it's too hard in person....try in an email.  But prepare yourself, she may say yes, mabye, no, or she may start to distance herself from you, changing the nature of your relationship forever....If you think it's worth the risk...risk it....this ain't dress rehearsal and you only get one time around (unless you believe in reincarnation that is, in which case you may or may not have another lifetime to ask her out but maybe won't remember that you wanted to:)  If you do ask her, I think you have HUGE ovaries! 

• raili
    edited June 2013
    Options

Thanks, GML!!  At this point, I haven't decided if it's worth the risk or not.  She may very well have a rule against being friends with patients and distance herself from me, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to risk messing that up.  We have a GREAT doctor/patient relationship, and right now I might need that even more than her friendship - if the two are mutually exclusive - because she is the only person on my medical team that I 100% respect and trust and get the most support from.  If my attempt at building a friendship with her failed or ended badly or made things awkward, I'd have to find a new doctor, and I don't think I wanna risk that right now!

It's a real gray area right now.  She herself has been way more personal with ME than any other doctor ever has been, and I'm not sure how much of that is due to me, personally, or to her "style" as a doctor, or how far it can actually go.  I was just reading all these articles on the Internet about doctors' ethics and boundaries and blah blah, about how they are not supposed to disclose personal info and must keep the focus on the patient, be compassionate instead of self-disclosing, etc... but really it varies from doctor to doctor... According to these articles, I am not "supposed" to know anything about my surgeon's family, home life, hobbies, interests, etc., but I DO.  I know about her family, her pet, her favorite music, books she has read, what she did over the weekend, what she does for exercise, what kind of food she likes, etc., because she TELLS me...and I'm GLAD she does! 

Nearly every off-line friend I've told about my fun visits with my surgeon thinks I should just freakin ask her out for coffee already... and oh I WANT to... but now I'm thinking more about it, and I just don't know if it would work.  I found this article that encourages doctors to ask themselves 3 questions before embarking upon a friendship with a patient: "Am I too close to my friend to probe her intimate history and body and cope with bearing bad news if need be?  Can I be objective enough to avoid giving too little, too much, or inappropriate care?  Will my friend comply with my medical treatment as well as she would with the care of a physician who is not a friend?"

Important questions/issues to think about!  Already, I have noticed ways in which my crush on her complicates my decision-making process re: my medical care - e.g. her opinions carry too much weight for me, more weight than another doctor's opinion would.

• cancersucks
    edited March 2010
    Options

WOW,  I just realized Raili, were all giving you advice on how to mack on your surgeon, oh my!  I sent you a message because I could not send it via email on BC.org. Take some time out for you this weekend and try to relax, focus on yourself my dear, this time should be all about you. Ga'night, G~

• raili
    edited March 2010
    Options

Thanks, G. :)  I just got your lovely message!  I will have to write back tomorrow, though... I just took my 20mg of melatonin for the night and soon I'll bee too tired to form coherent sentences, haha!

• casaredonda
    casaredonda Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2010
    Options

today for the first time, I skipped my Arimidex dose and I'm seriously considering giving it up completely.  I'm taking it out of fear and that's not reason.  My bones ache I have more emotional turmoil than I've had in years.  I have 2.5 years left on it and I'm not sure I want to live from side effect to side effect.  my mrs supports all my decisions.  I'd rather plan our 30th anniversary party or our long postponed long weekend vacation over memorial weekend.  I'm reminded of cancer each day with all the aches, pains, insomnia, depression, headaches and other arimidex side effects.

ok enough whining.  Lavender Ladies rock 

• bookart
    bookart Member Posts: 210
    edited March 2010
    Options

Well I'm glad to see this thread rockin!  My partner of almost 10 years says that I get scoped by both sexes, gay and straight (even before BMX).  I don't think I'm that ambiguous, but I've been mistaken for a guy since I was a teenager when I had long hair and earrings and that was 30 years ago.  I get called sir on the phone, even.  I just ignore it or laugh.  I think I move different than most women?? 

So, presenting my other lesbian cred:  - I saw the Indigo Girls in concert a couple of years ago and they are AMAZING!  I had been only lukewarm before that.  And I'm slightly embarassed to admit I wore my Birkies during my whole recovery.  Let's see, I also have cats (and dogs).  And I helped write a song in college that had a lyric - we're after your daughter, we're after your wife! - I don't remember what else but we thought it was hilarious - it was about gym teachers, etc - all the stereotypes.  Hee!

I commented on another thread about the crush I had on my BS - I flirted with her a lot!  Fortunately, my partner understands.  I don't know about approaching yours, Raili - it could mess things up.  Good luck, whatever you decide.

I spend most of my time on other threads directly related to my dx, but I'll drop in from now on.