Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited May 2013

Dearest snrise!!!! Thank you for posting!! I am so sorry that you are not feeling well!! Hang in there, Hon!!! Prayers are coming!! And you will feel better by your next chemo!!! Hugs!!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited May 2013

Happy Mother's Day, everyone! Sunrise, I'm sorry you aren't feeling well. Sending you a big hug. JO5, I hope you are starting to feel better. Rocket, glad you have turned the corner. Now it's time to rest, rest, rest. Fondak, I love reading about your heart for the Lord. I pray He will greatly bless your marriage. Kathy, I love your cheerfulness and encouragement! Bestock, thinking of you and praying, too. Mini, I hope you are feeling some peace and wellness. I have to say that I am thanking God for feeling so well lately. I mowed the lawn and spread compost last week. It made me feel strong again. I saw my rad onc for a checkup and he thought shoveling was good for the lymphedema, too. I paced myself, don't worry!

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2013

Dear Jeannie!! It is always so good to see you post, and Praise The Lord, that the challenging year you had is over!!! This year will be filled with many blessings, joy, love and laughter!!! Happy Mother's Day!!!!

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited May 2013

Rocket, I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing family members and are feeling better.  I just thank God for that and I hope you were able to sleep on the plane.  I hope JO5's time is going so well.  Sorry to hear about the arimidex causing the cholesterol issues.  It amazes how differently a drug can impact people.  When I hear of someone not having side effects from aromasin it really puzzles me how that can be when I consider how I've felt from it. 

I just stopped for a minute because I heard my husband on the phone with his grandmother.  She's 96 and has an infection in the bone of her foot that they wanted to amputate.  Everyone says she's really mean and doesn't want to hear anything about scripture and I just spoke with her because I could tell she was telling my husband she's scared she's going to die.  She never talks like that.  As I spoke with her she was very receptive to talking Christ.  She is interested for the first time.  I told her as difficult as this times seems, it's actually a gift and an opportunity for her to consider who God is and His love for her.  Please pray for her.  She's in Oregon so I can't see her but told her I would be going through this with in conversation and by praying for her.  She and I have always got along very well.

Also, my son is turning in his resignation at the coffee house he works at tomorrow.  Please pray for him.  It has been a very stressful enviroment.  His manager is very unpredictable.  He has been working 2 jobs for awhile and on Mondays works from 4:30 in the morning until 9.   Last week he did that Mon and Wed because he filled in for someone who needed to be off.  It has really had a negative impact on his health as well.

Thank you all for allowing me to share my concerns.   I can't tell you how it blesses me.

Jeannine, I am so glad to hear about your accomplishments outside.  It is also helpful for me personally.  I went to a physical therapist and the one who took my information on the first visit told me never to shovel.  Then when I went back the physical therapist they assigned me to who told me to work up to those things.  Shoveling was a specific question I had.  Earlier I had asked my oncologist about bowling who said it would be good.  Then the surgeon said absolutely not and not to use my arm bringing in groceries, etc.  After, hearing that from my surgeon it scared me and I favored that arm and ended up with what I would call a frozen shoulder.  They said that I had a torn rotator cuff or cup (I always forget what it's called).  I think that it was from lack of use after my surgery and radiation.  So that was very helpful to hear from you!  I love digging, planting and anything else in the yard. 

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day!  I was thanking God today that each of us was granted another year to celebrate the gift of motherhood and many of you have grandbabies to celebrate as well...what a blessing!  I pray I will be blessed with that someday!

Love you all!

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2013

Dear Fondak, I know all of the lymphedema literature tells us to do practically nothing. It was scaring me and bugging me. Recent studies say lifting light weights is good for LE. Even working up to heavy weights is okay---not a goal of mine! My lymphedema therapist said to try things in moderation and see what happens. If swelling occurs, up the massage, wear the super-duper compression sleeves as opposed to the " fashionable" ones I have and come see her. I have early stage LE, so this is recommended for me, but probably not for others with more advanced LE. Wearing sleeves while doing exercise is a must.

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited May 2013

Good Morning Ladies,

I said prayers for you as I read each of your posts. It feels so good to be home and able to get some l sleep.  I've had two eight-hour nights and I feel like a new woman.  Thanks again for your prayers.  I am now going to get back to a more scheduled routine to include exercise and some fun recreation activities like hiking, cooking healthy meals, reading, and loving my puppies.  I need this! I have a med onc appointment today and am a little nervous about it.  I will be seeing the PA instead of the MO this time and have never met her.  Hopefully all will be well.

Snrise and Bestock, I am praying for healing and strength for you that God would give you everything you need to prepare for the next chemo.  I pray also for effective treatments and emotional support.

Kathy, my mom is doing very well.  Thank you for asking.  She is so happy to be home in Maine where she grew up.  She knows quite a few ladies from high school that live at the assisted living facility.  Imagine that at 88 years old!

Jo, praying that your digestive issues settle and that you can enjoy the remainder of your trip.  I had to eat very carefully while I was away as I knew my stomach wasn't ready to handle anything heavy.  Hang in there and know that I'm praying for you.

Jeannie, it's always nice to see your encouraging posts and to know that you are enjoying the outdoors.  Have fun, but be careful too.

Fondak, it's wonderful that you got to speak with your DH's grandmother about the Lord. I will pray that the seed that was planted will bloom and grow in her heart.  I will also pray for healing for her physically.  Sorry to hear that your son is having a rough time.  I hope he feels better after he resigns from the one job.  I know from experience that working two jobs is very difficult.  I'm also praying for your relationship with your DH.  Is the counseling helping to move things in the right direction?

Mini, how are you doing?  I hope all is going well with you.

Well I have am going to go exercise, shower, and then get ready for my appointment.  I also have my water therapy class this afternoon and look forward to seeing all my water buddies again.

Take care each and every one of you.  You are precious in His sight and mine.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited May 2013

I'm glad you're feeling better Rocket. I've been a little out of sorts lately. I go see my doc on Thursday. I don't know what's with me, but I had a complete meltdown Sat. over something that would have normally maybe upset me a little, but not full on sobbing. Weird. Hopefully she will be able to help me and my cranky pancreas. :-)

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited May 2013

I have not been on here much lately just got back from a trip to see my grandkids, SF bay area. I only got to see one because of sickness in the other family. I miss my grand aged 4 so much.

I have been having neuropathy that extends to my neck and face, lips and tongue..

it is very uncomfortable and a bit frightening. I just pray that the consult with dr this friday will show me what the next step will be, I am on abraxene(taxol based) It is harsh anyway, but need to keep the ca-27-29 going down, so I can have a break...and mets will shrink all the way (i hope)

Please pray with me.

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2013

Dearest bestock!! I am lifting you up in prayer right now!!!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2013

Dear Bestock, thanks for letting us know what is going on. I am praying for you!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited May 2013

bestock, prayers going up as I pause here as I type.  He is right there hovering around you.  Close your eyes and feel His warmth.

Sorry friends that I have been off more than on here but I do think about you all often and you are in my daily prayers during my morning devotional. 

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2013

Thank you,Patoo!!! It is always so nice to see you here!!!!blessings!!!!!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited May 2013

Father, help Bestock right now I pray.  Give her strength, courage and victory over this illness.  Please help the neuropathy that she is feeling.  Rush to her aid and embrace her in Your tender, loving arms.  Let her feel Your very presence surrounding her.  Give her peace and grace I pray in Your Son's holy name. Amen.

Love all you ladies and glad to hear that you are feeling better Jo.  I am as well, almost back to normal. Blessings to each of you lovely gals!

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2013

Amen!!!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2013

Amen, Rocket! I'm so glad you feel better. Bestock, I hope you feel our Father's strength and love right this minute and that your pain is relieved.

I had some good news. Some skin lesions I was worried about are just fine, according to the dermatologist. Also, the DEXA scan showed my osteopenia is stable. Hopefully the Tamoxifen will strengthen my bones. On the other hand, I officially have lymphedema in both arms, which is discouraging. I also am enduring our annual flea infestation---they only bite me, not the dog or DH!---which is an LE worry. Time to call Fleabusters!

God bless each of you.

• bestock
    edited May 2013

Oh sisters thanks so much I just needed your prayers, I will embrace the peace of Christ today. Tomorrow, I will have to discuss with my onc re what to do, I have had 18 taxols with Ovarian cancer and 7 abraxenes with this bout of BC. Please pray he (onc) has wisdom. this neuopathy is not going away.. so  unusual in the face and trunk.

Thanks Jeannie, Kindergarten, JO-5 , Patoo and Rocket.. and all the others who are so supportive. I am praying for all of you as well

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2013

JO-5, I was hemming some pants today and my pins fell to the floor. An LE nightmare! But I managed not to prick myself. Cellulitis would also be bad for me because I'm allergic to most antibiotics. I don't spend my time worrying, though, a hard-learned lesson.

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2013

Dearest Christian Sisters!! May you find peace and strength daily as you all deal with your challenges and trials!! You are all my heros!!!

• snrise
    snrise Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2013

Dear friends, Thank you all so much foe everyday prayers. I have my second round od AC yesterday..even with all kinds of anti nausea meds I am still so sick...can't keep anything down... very very nauseaous, please pray for me, it took about 3-5 days last time..

you all are in my prayers..take care and have a wonderful day!

• bestock
    edited May 2013

I am praying for you "snrise" today for relief from your side effects and comfort and JOY in our Lord to be your strength.

• fondak
    edited May 2013

Bestock, I am praying for you today as you meet with your oncologist and for your mets to continue to shrink.  I certainly hope he can give give you something regarding the neuropathy.  I am glad you did get to see at least one grandchild and pray that when the next visit with the others comes you will feel stronger and in less pain.  I also pray that they see the strength you have in Christ and they when they speak of their grandmother in years to come it will not only be of what a strong woman you are to endure all that you have but also how they are seeing the grace of God lived out in you!

Jeannie, Sorry to hear about your LE in both arms being official.  Thanks for the reminder about the sleeves.  I really needed that!  I am so encouraged by the information you gave me about using the arm regarding LE.   I really think that is going to help.  Your DIEP is going to be in July right?  The plastic surgeon is saw told me that he has had many women tell him the reconstruction often helps LE.  He said it is exchanging a lot of the tight, damaged skin from radiation which helps.  I don't know how and he said you won't read that anywhere but it's what many of his patients have told him.  I was concerned about further complications with LE and the surgery.  Mine is very mild.  It improved after I quit favoring that arm.

JO5 and Rocket, I'm so glad to hear you two are feeling better!!!!!! 

Kindergarten, Pattoo, Mini, Snrise, and all you ladies here I hope you all have a good weekend encouraged in all the wonderful ways of our Father and in His word!

I have had a very challenging week which can basically equate to practice at patience, trusting God, being tender-hearted and forgiving sin and having some of my own revealed to me!

Please continue to pray for me and know I am praying for each of you and your families!

Love you all!

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    edited May 2013

^^snrise^^  (those ^'s are praying hands)

Lord, I ask you to relieve snrise's nausea now, to enable her to eat and retain her food and to comfort her in body and mind. Amen.

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2013

Dear Snrise!! I am lifting you in prayer for relief of nausea and strength as you continue Chemo!!! God Bless your continued positive attitude and unwavering faith!!!

Dear Fondak!! Thank you for always praying for us and being such a faithful servant!!! I am lifting you up in prayer now!!! God Bless you!!!!

• fondak
    edited May 2013

Hi ladies.....I need to let y'all know that I just realized something I have been doing and I hope that I haven't hurt anyone's feelings. 

I came to sit and rest a spell and I thought....I'm going to check in with you all and see how everyone is doing.  When I did I saw that I missed posts prior to my earlier post today.  Specifically, I didn't see snrise or bestock's  last post.  When I saw curveball's and kindergarten's I thought how did they know that?

Then, I realized it.  I will start from my post and read down thinking I read things above my last post!   Sometimes I come here and then get pulled away by other things.  I remember when I was on chemo I would fall asleep but I don't think I posted much then.  I was always kind of paranoid when it came to posting for some reason.  Thankfully, God got me past that so I could grow from you ladies here like I wouldn't have otherwise done.

Anyway, I think I came here then left and came back at least 2 hrs later! So I missed the posts in that at least 2 hr period.

If I have ever hurt anyone's feelings by not responding or acknowledging your posts please forgive me and know it wasn't intentional.

Snrise, I'm will be praying specifically for your nausea and strength. 

Kindergarten, thank you for you unfailing prayers for all of us here. 

Love you all!

• Kindergarten
    edited May 2013

Fonda's, you are the sweetest person!!! Always thinking of us!!!! I do the same thing!!!

• patoo
    edited May 2013

Ditto, I do the same thing.  I pray we all realize that we have lots on our plates and don't see or remember everything.  I find that I read the posts without taking notes and then when I respond I'm bound to miss something.  My sisters, let us each remember that there is lots of love here in this thread and no one purposely overlooks another.  You are all exceptional people who are going through so much.  Be gentle with yourself because you are a beloved child of the almighty God.

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2013

Well said, Patoo.

Fondak, when you exercise, ease into it. Don't overdo or you could get a flare-up of LE. But it's good to keep moving!

Snrise, praying for your nausea to get under control! Also, that you would sense God's presence, strength and comfort.

Bestock, thinking of your doctor appt. and hoping you got encouraging info.

Love you ladies,

Jeannie

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited May 2013

Please pray for a dear friend. Her name is Jennifer and she is in ICU after surgery for a brain aneurysm. She collapsed yesterday at the church where she works. She is a beautiful woman of God and needs prayer desperately. Please pray for a miracle; that she will be healed and suffer no permanent brain damage.

Love to all of you ladies. I have this saying posted on my wall at work, but it has special significance today.

No matter how good or bad you think life is, wake up each day and be thankful for life. Someone somewhere is fighting to survive. Author Unknown

• Jeannie57
    edited May 2013

Mini1, I'm so sorry to hear of your friend. It's a miracle she's alive. God bless her and her family and friends.

• patoo
    edited May 2013

Prayer just sent up for Jennifer, our sister-in-Christ. 

Many blessings to all of you, my friends.