Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited June 2013

Dear cmbernardi!!! So glad that you were chosen for the shorter version of rads!! You will done in no time !!! God is Good!!

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited June 2013

Blessings to all. I have been feeling so down lately without really knowing why. So many of you have far more going on than I do. I have so much to be grateful for, I know. I know that it is not God's voice telling me the negative things I hear in my head. Your words bring me comfort. I am so grateful for each one of you and your willingness to share your ups and downs of your journey.

• Kindergarten
    edited June 2013

Dear Mini1! I am lifting you up in prayer! I have had those days of sadness, uncertainty and fear!! What would we do without faith and prayer!! Just coming here, lifts me up, I hope it does the same for you, knowing you are covered in prayer! We all have different journeys, trials and challenges, but we are all God's children! His plans for us are well laid!! I hope you feel better tomorrow, you are allowed to have days like this!!! God BlessYou!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited June 2013

Mini1, how I can relate to your feelings of sadness, etc.! I try to remind myself that God gave me emotions, that they are neither right nor wrong, it's good to feel them and then, hopefully I can move on, taking it day by day or moment to moment, if need be.

Bestock, praying you can have a good visit with your sisters and that your MO can come up with some way to help you feel better and enjoy life more.

I enjoy praying for you all. Sometimes I pray for you when I'm in the shower. Uh-oh, TMI??? Not a good visual, believe me....

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    edited June 2013

@Mini1, I just had nearly a month of anxiety/the blues, and many here prayed for me. I so often forget to pray when I am upset about something, so it really helps for someone else to pray for me! Another thing I often forget when I get upset is to check for tight muscles. There is a book called Progressive Relaxation, written by a doctor many years ago. The basic idea is that muscle tension leads goes hand in hand with emotional tension (and sometimes the emotional tension leads to more muscular tension, creating a self-perpetuating loop), hence relaxing the muscles will assist in relieving anxiety. I am so glad I found out about this idea--so often people with cancer are advised to meditate to relieve the anxiety and stress that come with the territory, but I've always had qualms about doing so. Even when it isn't overtly religious, it seems to me that the worldview underlying meditation--at least the forms I've read about that involve concentrating on the breath or the like--is much more similar to that of the Eastern religions than to a worldview based in the Bible. My doubts about exactly what I'd be buying into if I did that type of meditation have kept me from pursuing it any further. But for me, remembering to relax my muscles doesn't raise any concerns of that kind. I have a recording I got in the class where I learned about this. I think it was made by the teacher and not published anywhere, but I expect there are commercial recordings available for the same purpose.

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2013

Friends, please pray for one of my good bco friends. We have been pm-ing for a year and a half. She's a pistol, very strong. She had bmx, chemo and rads. She just had her exchange with oopherectomies. Her PS told her today that lobular, her primary cancer, was found on an ovary so now she is stage four. She is about to open her very own bakery/cafe. She's not married, not a believer that I can tell. Her best friend, who accompanied her to all her chemo and other appointments, died suddenly a few months ago. My friend's name is Diana. Please pray for her as she tries to adjust to this news and that I could encourage her in the Lord.

I want my one remaining ovary OUT!

• Kindergarten
    edited June 2013

Dear Jeannie!! I am so sorry to hear about your friend! I just lifted her up in prayer! If any one can help lead her to The Lord, it is you! Thank you for telling us about Diana! She will be covered in prayer!!!

• FridayGirl
    FridayGirl Member Posts: 137
    edited June 2013

Dear Jeannie, I am sorry to hear about Diana's diagnosis.  Her mind is probably in turmoil right now, I know that mine was when I received my bad news, and it is good that she has a Christian friend like you around who can ask us all to pray for her.  I will pray that she opens her heart to The Lord, and is given His wonderful peace to help her through this.

Curveball, I agree with you entirely about relaxation techniques which do not have any New Age or Eastern Religion flavours about them.  So many of our problems are caused initially through a form of muscle stress which then goes on to hit us with anxiety.  It has been proved that if you can keep a relaxed, serene outlook, even though things aren't going the way you would like, you will be healthier and more likely to be free from worry and despondency than if you allow your body and your mind to become stressed.  I know that this is easy to say and difficult to do, but I believe that it can be done.

Mini1, once you get down it is very difficult to get up again.  I am so pleased that you recognize it is not The Lord who is getting you down, once you know that the battle is nearly over.  I am sure that the "other fellow" would like nothing better than to knock down a loyal servant of The Lord, so I pray that you will be protected from this.

Bestock, I will pray that your oncologist gives you some medication to prevent your sickness coming back and let you have a good time with your sisters. 

I don't know how many miles away from you I am here in Ireland, but I thank God that I know you through this website and have the chance to pray for you all.

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited June 2013

Hi Sisters,

I am finally back from my long and eventful weekend. My Ds, DIL and granddaughter, Erin, came to visit. Erin is 15 months old and she began to vomit three hours into the 4 1/2 hour trip to our house. She developed a fever and then my DS and DIL got sick as well with diarrhea. Whew, I worked constantly all weekend caring for them, doing laundry, etc. I am praying that neither my DH or I get it. So far so good.

I now have a crew of five men in my house painting several rooms. We are also expecting company this weekend for the next three weeks non-stop. If I can make it through the summer without collapsing, it will be only by the grace of God.

I have been catching up on all of your posts. There has been a lot of activity on here. I have prayed for each of you as I have read your posts and have written them all down so that I can continue to pray.

Mini - I can totally relate to your feelings of sadness. I have been experiencing that for the last few weeks. One day, I just couldn't stop crying and it was for seemingly no reason. I just felt overwhelming sadness. I think maybe my hormones are messed up. My thyroid medication is continually being adjusted after having it remain stable for many years. I have no clue what is up with that.please know that every woman here understands those feelings, including our precious Savior. He never leaves or forsakes us.

Bestock - I am sorry you are suffering so greatly with these side effects. The Magic Mouthwash might just help with the mouth sores. They prescribed it to me when I went through chemo, but the taste is disgusting. It does work however. I am praying for strength both physically and emotionally so that you may enjoy time with your sisters.

Jeannie - I am heartbroken about your friend Diana. I will pray that through your ministry God will speak to her heart and she will come to know Him in a very real and personal way. She has had so much heartbreak. I pray for you too that your fatigue lessens.

Netter - I am praying that the bone pain you are feeling will ease quickly. I remember feeling like that going through chemo and it was miserable and intense. I hope these side effects ease and that your treatments are completely effective at eradicating any remaining cancer cells.

FridayGril - I pray that your bones scan will clearly show the area requiring radiation and that the treatments would be effective to eradicate the tumor and the pain. Your faith is amazing and strong.

Curveball - how are the injections going? Do you experience many side effects? You are a tough cookie to be going through treatments along with remodeling your house! Keeping busy however is a good way to take the focus off your anxiety. At least it helps me. When I have too much time to think, I struggle a lot more with fear.

Kathy, Fondak, Jo, and Patoo - you are all in my prayers as well.

Loving you Ladies,

• Rocket
    edited June 2013

Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:37-39

• Netter
    Netter Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2013

All of you........your Christian faith is such a blessing!  I have prayed soooooooo hard the last 3 days in the hospital.  Dehydration, dry heaves, and terrible body ache!  Finally get home and the awful gas pains and diarrhea set in!!!  Made it through it and now just have bad pain in lower back.  Can handle that with Extra Strength Tylenol.  I am going to be 64 next month, do you think older women have a worse time?????  My doctor is afraid I will have to go through this each time, (3 more), don't know if the body can stand up to it................  Continue to keep me in your prayers and I am praying for each and every one of you!!!!!

• Rocket
    edited June 2013

Netter, can they give you more medications for the nausea? I was given a lot of anti-nausea meds before, during and after chemo. I never vomited once. I pray you don't have to go through that every time!!!! I had the same chemo meds that you are getting.

• curveball
    edited June 2013

@Netter, I got gas from chemo too. It caused constant, low-level stomach discomfort, belching etc. My oncologist said it is because the cells of the gut lining are rapidly dividing, so the chemo affects them too. You might ask your doctor if it is OK to take simethicone (that's the generic name), which is an over-the-counter medication for gas. Or maybe there is a prescription strength or a stronger med if you have that SE more severely than I did. I tried probiotics first, but they didn't help this kind of gas at all.

@Rocket, I have finished the self-injection with that med. I didn't have any adverse reaction, so I will get the time-release version once a month now.

• Kindergarten
    edited June 2013

Hi, Rocket!! So good to see you, but I am sorry that your wonderful family and Erin were sick!! You are such a good mom and grandma!! They were in good hands, and I pray that you and your hubby do not get the virus!! You do have a busy summer ahead!! We ar currently helping my son and DIL move into the town home they bought!! Lots of painting and cleaning!! Thank you for sharing the beautiful verse from Romans!!!

Dearest Netter!! I am lifting you up in prayer and asking Our Lord to wrap His healing, loving Arms around you!! I pray also for better meds to handle the nausea!!!

• Mini1
    edited June 2013

Thank you ladies for all the prayers. I'm sure it doesn't help that I don't have any hormones to speak of. I told my husband that they said I had the hormone levels of a pre-pubescent girl and that's what I'm like. Whiny, crying for no reason, happy one minute, upset the next. I have got to find some balance. Tongue Out

I am praying for Diana. I can't imagine going through any of this without the Lord.

I think of you all always.

Bessings

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2013

Thanks, everyone, for your prayers for Diana. I have to admit it has thrown me a little since we had lobular and basically the same treatments at the same time. If there is one thing I've learned on this journey, though, it is that BC is not one-size-fits-all. Also, God has determined every day of our lives here from the very beginning. Mini1, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. I hope there is something to help give you more balance. I pray so.

Netter, praying for relief for you! Keep telling your docs how you feel -- hopefully they will come up with something. I pray so.

Rocket, what a weekend! I'm sorry it wasn't what you had hoped and I pray you both stay healthy!

FridayGirl, thank you for your kind and thoughtful words to us. Praying radiation gives you some physical relief.

Bestock, are you feeling any better?

Fondak, Jo-5, Kindergarten, Curveball, Patoo and whomever I am forgetting at the moment, I pray for you regularly, for physical health, greater trust in the Lord and a sweet testimony to others of Jesus.

• cmbernardi
    cmbernardi Member Posts: 853
    edited June 2013

Well, what a day to be reading this thread and shaking my head for ALL of U Sisters and the tough stuff that I have learned.  Prayers to all of you and special super-sonic prayers for Diana.  What an awful, unfailr mess!  I will keep you all and her in my thoughts and prayers constantly so that the Lord allows her to pursue this new and wonderful venture.  Wish I lived a bit closer.  I would volunteer every day to be sure her new biz gets off the ground!  Good, good evening y'all!  Peace, prayers, luv and blessings today and every day in the future!

CB  

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited June 2013

My sister is here with me, she just lost her significant other, and is not a Christian---- please pray for her, her boyfiend had pancreatic cancer and died in 3 months after dx, he was 54 years old.

I go to the doc today, I felt very nausous for a few days and had a lot of other problems, but thanks for the prayers, there are a lot of huge health issues posted, I  will be in prayer thanks for the faithful consistent prayers for me. Pray the Onc has wisdom. Special prayers for Netter and Diana and FridayGirl and all of the others today. Thanks, more later

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited June 2013

Rocket,  Thank you so much for sharing Romans 8:37-39.  I must say when I read about you weekend I thought....wow, every time you turn around there's something.  Then I thought I know it's for good but ....okay...I don't understand....some things I can't understand...I just know it's all good because you are His. 

Then I think of the things here that are challenging and when we handle them in obedience and giving God the glory...though it may not feel good here but will be eternally rewarding.  In other words, it will be deeds that last and don't burn away.  I can see that when you have one thing after another and you post...Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.  For I am persuaded in neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalites, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, not any created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

For me, it is so easy to forget that all these challenges are actually opportunities to glorify Christ.   When I focus on that it totally changes things.

• fondak
    edited June 2013

Jeannie,

I am praying for you and your friend.  I can totally understand where you are coming from.  A friend of mine that I graduated high school with was such an encouragement to me and still is.  Before my cancer I really didn't understand er+ pr+ and all that but when I got my diagnosis we learned that ours was exactly the same except she had 15 lymph nodes removed and 11 were positive, I had 9 removed with 9 postive.  I would see her doing so well and it really comforted me and then during my treatment she learned it spread to her lungs and bones.  Since she has been back in treatment and has been on trips with her friends from work and I imagine there will be more of that to come.  Fortunately, she confesses Christ as her Savior and trusts no matter what He is good and He is in control. 

I will pray that God will work in Diana's life so that she will have that same comfort, peace and hope.  That is always what saddens me the most.  Our time here is so short and cancer, how horrible it is, is nothing compared to an eternity apart from Christ with no hope of redemption.  Thank you for sharing that so that we can be praying.  You're a good friend! ~ to her and us!

• fondak
    edited June 2013

Hey Bestock,

I am praying today for wisdom for you Onc and relief from your side effects.  I will also be praying that God will use your testimony and the loss of your sister's boyfriend to draw your sister to Him.  I also pray that your time with your sister will be enjoyable and be a help to you.

Thank you for keeping us posted. 

• fondak
    edited June 2013

Netter, I pray you are feeling better and gaining strength. 

Fridaygirl, I am praying for you and that you appointment yesterday went well.

Mini1, Sorry to here you are feeling down.  I think we can all relate to that at one time or another.  Even some of the greatest folks in scripture felt that at times.  I am comforted in knowing that God knew we would at times and gave us those examples even showing us prayers in the Psalms for those times.  It helps me to know others are praying.  I need to start studying more of those.  That is a good reminder for me.  I will be praying for you and I'm most certain I'll need the same in the future.

Kindergarten, curveball, cmbenardi, pattoo, snrise and all of you ladies here I am praying for you and love you!

• Kindergarten
    edited June 2013

Hi, Fondak, your prayers for us mean so much! bestock, enjoy your sister's visit!! I am sure you are a light for her, as she sees your strength! I will pray for he as she deals with her loved one' s passing! You will comfort each other! Jo-5, thank you for sharing these beautiful verses on the power of prayer!! Love and blessings to you all!!!!!

• Rocket
    edited June 2013

Just wanted to hop on quick and let you know that I am praying for you all. I care deeply for each of you.  It's neat how our unique personalities shine on this thread.  Love you Ladies!

• Mini1
    edited June 2013

I take 50,000IU of D now, so I don't think I can up it any more.  But I have a juicer now. I'm hoping all the extra fruits and veggies will help, although you don't get vitamin D from food unless it's fortified with it, but the other veggies can't hurt.

I know besides the hormones, part of it is the malnutrition. Not to mention that within the last year and a half I've lost 2 friends to cancer, was diagnosed with breast cancer, gastric agina, osteoporosis, pancreatitis, and a gluten-intolerance, quit a job that I had for 12 years (cutting our household income in half in the process), started a new job in a new industry 9 months later and had a mets scare. That's a lot of changes in a short amount of time. I think I've just been in crisis mode for too long and now that things have slowed down, everything has just caught up with me.

I know that I'm in God's hands, but I think God knows sometimes we need a little hands on help down here. I'm going to go talk to someone that He has endowed with the gift of helps. :-)

Blessings to all

• cmbernardi
    edited June 2013

Mini1 - Peace and Blessings to you my Dear!

• curveball
    edited June 2013

@Jo-5, yes Progressive Relaxation is still in print--just click on the link in my message, it goes to the book's page on Amazon. Or you might be able to find a copy through your public library. That's where I read it, but the book is no longer listed in the catalog. They might be able to get it for you by interlibrary loan even if your local library doesn't have it. The same author wrote a book called You Must Relax. I've never read it but I think it's probably the same information but written for a general audience. I think Amazon has that too, and maybe a library would be more likely to have You Must Relax than the more technical book.

• Kindergarten
    edited June 2013

Dear Mini1! You certainly have had alot on your plate in the last year! You are in my thoughts and prayers! Please know that you are not alone!! I still have days of fear, anxiety, worry and depression! It helps to come here for prayer and spiritual renewal! my family and husband are wonderful as well, but this wonderful thread uplifts me daily!

Jo-5, enjoy this season of picking and canning!!

Dear Rocket!! Hope you are feeling well !

• cmbernardi
    edited June 2013

JO-5

Yummy, yum, yum.  Enjoy!

• Kindergarten
    edited June 2013

Dear Jo-5!! You made me chuckle!! Enjoy the bonding time with your dear hubby!! God bless you!!!