Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• lovewins
    lovewins Member Posts: 570
    edited September 2013

Terri...I Praise God who is our healer.  I pray for your stength and peace of mind while you go to your meeting before, during and after.  I ask and pray for you to feel the Lord presence beside you strengthing and comforting you as you hear what you hear today so that you my continue on the journey feeling God's peace and reassurance in your spirit.  In Jesus name I ask and pray. Amen.

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2013

Amen to these lovely prayers.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2013

Such beautiful prayers, thank you!!! Dear Mini1, I am lifting you up in prayer!! You are a faithful servant, and Our Lord will take care of your every need!!! Take this time to heal from your surgery.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2013

Dear Rocket!! I am lifting you up in prayer as well for your bone scan on Friday!!! May you feel peace and calmness, knowing Our Lord is right beside you!!! Love and Hugs!!!!

• Rocket
    edited September 2013

Thanks so much Kathy! I certainly do need and appreciate it.

• keepthefaith
    keepthefaith Member Posts: 856
    edited September 2013

Lovewins,

Thank you so much for your beautiful prayer! It made my day:).

HUGS and peace to ALL of you as we travel on this journey together!Smile 

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2013

It made my day as well. You ladies are such a blessing. Even as I go in and out of the thread I think of you ladies. I have good support from both my church family and my own family, but I can't imagine going through this without you all. Having BC is a lot like pregnancy. You've heard the stories, watched the movies, and you know someone whose been through it. You think you know what to expect. You're confident that you have all the info. Then you go into labor and realize that you know nothing. And the only people that truly understand are the women that have gone through it too.

Love Wins- I'm about an hour away. We'll be your way this week for Art Prize. :-)

Blessings

• keepthefaith
    edited September 2013

Now my onc appts are over; will probably be getting a second or 3rd opinion on chemo...wasn't too crazy about the MO; RO and nurse coordinator were great.  Sounds like chemo is in my future b/c of the grade and receptors. Does anyone know how effective TC is w/o A? Worried about SE on heart. Both parents have had heart problems and my mom has diabetes. MO said not out of the question to do only TC...but I want another opinion. Then, the surgery decision. RO says lumpectomy and Rads could be a good possibility unless I am leaning towards MX. Won't be able to see BS until the 3rd...don't know what I am leaning towards right now. Not too crazy about Rads, either.

Have any of you done only TC? Same basic SE's?

Going to try to go get some rest. I am now in the "Analysis Paralysis" mode!:)

Rocket, praying your scan goes well on Friday.

Bless you all~

• keepthefaith
    edited September 2013

Mini1,

I love your analogy! Amen!

• cynthiaintx
    cynthiaintx Member Posts: 66
    edited September 2013

Good evening, ladies!  I love reading everyone's stories, prayers, all the testimonies.  I have good news, I just put a deposit on a townhome - I'm going from a 600 sf apartment to an 1100 sf 2-bedroom townhome, and one bedroom will be totally dedicated to sewing!  I hope to revive my sewing business, focusing on bridals.

Does anyone else here sew?  I'm going to make my future DIL a simple rag quilt for Christmas, she and Tommy are visiting in December, along with my dad.  It's our little family reunion!

It's amazing to hear how the struggle with BC has brought so many of you closer and deeper in faith, pressing in during the difficult times.  Can I share my short story?

I thought 2013 was going to be a great year.  I was born on the 13th, and 13 has always been my "favored" number - I don't believe in luck, I just thought this was going to be a great year - it started out with losing 30 pounds, and going on a ski trip to Colorado in February.  Came home, fell into routine... and things started sliding downhill.  I gained that 30 pounds back again!  And I was hoping to meet someone special, well that hasn't happened... and top it all off with breast cancer!

Anyone else would say it's a crummy year.  But you know what?

I have drawn so close to the Father - my faith has grown by leaps and bounds.  No fear, no sadness, just incredible... almost a joy in suffering!  Does that even make sense?  My heart's cry through all of this was not to make it easier, or less painful, or anything like that.  It's been for God to USE me where He sees fit, to put words in my heart and mind to speak to those He brings into my path, all for His glory.  And finally, at 53 years old, I'm a "mature" Christian! 

So, while others may think this year has been rough, or bad... no!  It has been glorious!  I wouldn't trade the faith-building experience for all the vacations, parties, or even weight loss in the world!

Silly rambling... it's late, I've been packing... oh my goodness, that's tough work!  Thankfully I have some vicodin left from the surgery, and I took half a tab.  I want to get as much done as possible this next week or so, because who knows how radiation will affect me.

Everyone have a great tomorrow - prayers for His favor and covering on all y'all!

• Granna1948
    Granna1948 Member Posts: 67
    edited September 2013

I hate to act so dumb, but I simply don't understand all of the abbreviations. I don't know what TC w/0 A means or MX, etc. could someone please enlighten this old woman! Anyway, prayers to everyone!

• cynthiaintx
    edited September 2013

Granna, here is the link to the abbreviation key.  I don't use them much, it's easier for me to spell it out.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/131/topic/773727?page=1#idx_1

• lovewins
    edited September 2013

welcome Cynthia...thank you for sharing your testimony.  i am new here too.  It really is mind blowing how God can work in our lives isn't it.  Congrats on your new home.  Welcome to this thread...Praise God! I pray for your stregnth and complete recovery so you my glorify our Father.  In Jesus name.

• saltyjack
    saltyjack Member Posts: 326
    edited September 2013

Hi Ladies - Granna and Cynthia, I'm with you - I knew about the abbreviation key and always have to look up about everything except BC. It's much easier for me to spell everything out.

I just got home from a Beth Moore Bible study of Esther (subtitle: It's Tough Being a Woman). I wrote down so many good nuggets - I figure I'll share them and hopefully they'll bless somebody else, too:

Where your misery is, your ministry will be.

When God doesn't reveal something, He's calling us to faith.

God will work in me until what I will is what He's after.

Our destiny doesn't usually come how we expect it - and it may be in a crisis. Be ready for God's redirection!

and from "Jesus Today"

Do not waste away the opportunity to depend on God more than usual. Trust that He knows what He's doing - that He will bring good out of everything I encounter, everything I endure. He is the Lord of my future and He has good things in store for me!

I'm thanking God for each of you!

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2013

Excellent. Thanks for sharing SaltyJack.

• Granna1948
    edited September 2013

Saltyjack, I love those , especially where your misery is, your ministry will be. I love Sarah Young. I have all three of her books and read Jesus Calling every morning to start my day. Thanks for sharing.

I found out today my tumor markers have gone down 40 points since July. The Lord is good.

Prayers to all.

Granna

• lovewins
    edited September 2013

praise the Lord Granna so happy for you!

• SewStrong
    SewStrong Member Posts: 151
    edited September 2013

cynthia, I sew, but I can't get motivated right now. I'm just so lethargic. It's easier to just sit. Have you ever heard the expression "When I works, I works, but when I sits, I go to sleep"? That's me.

I started in 4-H in 4th grade sewing each year so that I could go to camp. I continued through my senior year and won a Vogue sewing contest. My teacher was an old maid and wouldn't allow us not to finish a project. We weren't allowed to go to camp if we didn't finish. I am so glad I loved that camp because sewing has given me so much pleasure over the years. I used to make my own clothes and coats. I made outfits for my babies. When I look back on it, I can't believe the work I put into all of that. It sounds like such a chore today. I am trying to make hats, if I'll ever get up off of my rump and sew. I have the sewing machine set up in the bedroom on a card table with everything I need. Now, all I have to do is buy some motivation somewhere. Does anyone know where I can shop for that?

Sharon

I changed my username from sharonannebaker to SewStrong. Don't want to confuse anyone, but I didn't want my identity so public.

• lovewins
    edited September 2013

Hi Sharon...good to see you posting.  I am not having the best day either...day 3 after chemo.  I pray we both have more energy real soon...God bless.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2013

lovewins, praying you feel better soon.  I didn't have chemo but reading on here the past few years certainly helps us to feel 'some' of your misery.  It's tough but all on this ghread know that our Lord is right there with you.  What a wonderful feeling to have knowing that!

For everyone who has shared I truly thank you.  As usual it is encouraging to come on to this thread and read your posts, praying as I go.  I love your stories and testimonies.  God certainly brought each of us to this thread for a reason.

Blessings.

• keepthefaith
    edited September 2013

Hi ladies,

I hope you all that are going thru chemo feel better soon. HUGS:) 

Happy for you Granna! It's always nice to get some good news.

I just met a friend for dinner and before I went, I was feeling down and didn't want to go. When I got home, I felt much better;  just getting things off of my chest and having someone who cares, listen to me,  is so healing...and, the glass of red wine didn't hurt either, I guess!

Healing prayers to all~

• cynthiaintx
    edited September 2013

Hi everyone!  So, I'm 3 weeks out from surgery.  Noticed tonight that my energy is way low, and that bothers me.  Radiation starts next week, and I want to avoid fatigue as much as possible.

Did any of y'all have a hard time coming out of surgery?  I'm frustrated because it wasn't a big surgery, maybe a little more than an hour.  I can't seem to get enough sleep.  I'm going to ask the oncologist about this.  Maybe some b-12 shots might help.

Sharon, I'm very unmotivated right now, too.  Maybe after the move... right now I have to pack, and that's taking every scrap of what little energy I can muster!

Keeping all y'all in prayer!

• saltyjack
    edited September 2013

Good morning!  Yesterday at Bible study, they played the new Mandisa video, which was also on Good Morning America. If you haven't seen it yet, it's a great way to start the morning.  The Great "I Am" is inside of us - we're Overcomers!

hope this works:

http://gma.yahoo.com/video/mandisas-overcomer-music-video-world-124400300.html;_ylt=AthPpIcsmbj_znWtFlQoXXSo6.d_;_ylu=X3oDMTE2ZGx1dWc1BG1pdAMEcG9zAzMEc2VjA01lZGlhQkNhcm91c2VsTWl4ZWRMUENB;_ylg=X3oDMTBhYWM1a2sxBGxhbmcDZW4tVVM-;_ylv=3

• keepthefaith
    edited September 2013

Cynthiaintx,

I have had major surgeries when it had taken a few months to feel "normal", but when I had a lumpectomy a few yrs ago, I didn't feel tired, really. It's probably your lack of sleep. I have nights where I toss and turn and then drag the next day... Added stress can take a toll on our bodies, also. Maybe your onc can help. I hope you find relief soon!

Saltyjack,

How is your treatment going? You are doing chemo prior to surgery?

I hope you all have a wonderful day today~

• lovewins
    edited September 2013

Good Morning ladies...day 4 after treatment.  I am scared to shower because my hair is coming out so fast.  The nausea medication they gave me lowers my seretonin level so I spent a lot of time in tears yesterday.  I don't know what is worse the dopey feeling or tears?  Not feeling very positive today...I did do a lot of praying yesterday too.  Sometimes I wonder how I can get through 4 more of these treatments.  That 3rd day is really awful for me...I feel so ugly my eyes are all puffy and my skin looks awful.  Just having a pity party today I guess.  Sorry ladies I just needed to vent.  I feel ashamed because I know others going through much worse than me. 

• Granna1948
    edited September 2013

Lovewins, I feel so bad for you. You are covered in prayer. Sometimes, I just go to Him as a small child and picture myself on His lap, and feel Him holding me. It is a comfort.

Granna

• saltyjack
    edited September 2013

Hi all - what a great day I've had - thanks to God and all your prayers!  I went today for a blood test - Friday when I had my second A/C treatment, my neutrophil count was 1.42. The MO said she'd go ahead but it shouldn't be under 1.5 and of course, chemo would lower it more. One option was a neulasta shot but with all the SE everybody's having, I wanted to avoid that if I could - so she set up the appointment today and if the level was below 1.0, I'd have the neutropen shot(s) till the level was high enough. Well, I've felt all the prayers this week - my count was 2.54 - opposite what it would/should have been without the Great Physician taking care of it!

Yes, Keepthefaith (where is Hutto, TX? I'm near Houston) - chemo first then surgery. I'm day 7 and felt pretty much back to normal yesterday - more answered prayers. I was pretty tired (and cranky - I admit it!) on Monday but otherwise, pretty good. Two A/C down, two to go!!

God is sooooo  good!!!

• keepthefaith
    edited September 2013

lovewins,

Prayers are coming your way. I am behind you in my treatment and I know that when you are through with yours, you will be a great mentor to those that need guidance and a shoulder to cry on...it will probably be me!  Right now, you need a shoulder and that's okay. It is nothing to be ashamed of.  Everyone is here to support you.

I am so worried about losing my hair, sometimes I think I am in denial. I have very long, thick hair and will probably donate it, but just the same, I won't be wearing it....I was so out of it yesterday before my onc appts, that I forgot my paperwork that I had filled out, forgot even what facility I was going to. Thank God, my friend was with me to get me through it in one piece! Sometimes we just need to stop and breathe. I honestly don't know how I could do this without you wonderful people!

Saltyjack,

Hutto is about 30 mins N of Austin. So, are you doing AC, then T? I have still not decided on my regimen, so wondering how your SE's have been so far, if you don't mind sharing. I am glad that your counts are up! I will probably be having surgery in the next few wks, but can't be soon enough; then chemo, rads.  You're getting there; keep up the good work!

Bless you all!Smile

• Rocket
    edited September 2013

Jo-5 thanks for sharing! I needed to hear that today.

To all of you ladies going through chemo, hang in there. You will get through this by the grace of God. I also was freaked out by losing my hair, but I had rehearsed losing it over and over in my mind. When the time came and it began coming out in handfuls, I shaved it myself. I didn't even cry. My meltdown happened in my closet, when the hideous bra that I was given with my new prosthetic breasts wouldn't work under any of my V-neck shirts. I called my fitter in tears, telling her I couldn't replace my entire wardrobe. She gently encouraged me that there were other bras that would work. I went right over there and she fitted me with some pretty ones that fit very well and worked with my tops.

My biggest struggle is with life after breast cancer, once treatment was over. I really believe I suffered with depression and I felt traumatized by a horrible breast surgeon. I admit that I am afraid of cancer coming back, and every test fills me with dread. I am happy that many of you don't seem to be struggling spiritually or emotionally. That was not the case for me. I have grown however in my faith and know that I am in His hands. I live by grace for myself and others. His grace is all sufficient.

I pray that each of you feels His presence right now in a way that is unmistakable. Blessings everyone!

• saltyjack
    edited September 2013

Rocket and JO-5 - thanks. Your words and encouragement mean so much because you've been where we are....and experienced the blessing on the other side. 

KTF, I sent you a PM.

Blessings to all -