Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

Here is a picture from Sept 9th late at night after a long day of stressful waiting. My DD had an emergency C-section but everyone is good!

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited September 2010

Wow, that baby has a lot more hair than I do :)

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    edited September 2010

Oh Barbe, what a beautiful picture.  You are so lovely and the baby so precious.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2010

ditto what Mary said - great pic!

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2010

He JO - how are you?  You're posting so guessing everything went relatively smooth on Saturday.  You were on my mind all day.

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2010

Wonderful picture Barbe!  Nothing better than holding your grandbaby...

• Unknown
    edited September 2010

Hi Ladies -

Took a few days off the discussion boards so I could try to forget about cancer.  Didn't work entirely, but enjoyed the break from the square screen.

JO - my condolences on the passing of your father.  even though you are certain he is with the Lord, the loss is still significant and I pray you will find peace and comfort in the days and weeks to come.

Barbe - beautiful grandbaby!!  congratulations!

I'm up for chemo #2 on Wednesday; have really enjoyed (maybe too much!) the past 10 days of feeling good.  Hair started coming out last Wednesday, so had it cut down to nubs on Thursday, and now dealing with the little tiny hairs that fall out on their own.  At least they won't clog the plumbing!

Hope everyone has a good week ahead.  Blessings!

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

JO, so glad the funeral felt right. You Dad may come to you in a dream to let you know he is alright. Both my parents did. I spoke at both my parent's funerals and am glad I did. I think it honours them.

Too freaky about the room! When my Mom passed we went back to her place and were eating JuJubes (which she loved) when a racoon came by (she LOVED them too) and begged for some. Have never seen a racoon in their city before or since!

What are does packs?

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2010

JO - I'm thankful that you and your husband have felt the Lord getting you through all you've been dealing with recently.  Wow you've had a lot on your plate.

Barbe - You look too young to be a grandma, but you are a lovely one!  And what a gorgeous baby!  Congratulations.

I went for the BRCA testing this past week and should know the results in about a month.  I'm praying they are negative.  I've been having a tremendous amount of pain in my shoulders and arms from the Arimidex.  I'm not sleeping well as a result.  I'm going to try taking it in the morning instead of the evening to see if it makes any difference.  I'm keeping my DH awake at night because I awaken so frequently.  He's been such a trooper though.  I'm so very blessed to have him!

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited September 2010

Hello all, I am a Christian also ,all of my life, I,m 59 and did  some backsliding, but God got my attention, I first thought I was being punished for not going to church like I should have, I did go to church but let other things stop me. So when I was diagnosed in 1993, I asked "Why me?", BUT why not me, I have been very instrumental in helping many, many women through my becoming a Survivor, so I see that God never meant for me to die from this, but Only to experience the journey, to help get others through.  This is my PURPOSE, and I do it Proudly.   I am married to my wonderful husband, that God sent just in the nick of time, to be the support I needed, in fact we were making wedding plans when I was diagnosed, I have seven stepchildren and loads of grandchildren, and a wonderful family, God Bless Us.  msphil  

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited August 2013

I hadn't been on since about sept 15 and want to say thanks for all  the prayers. I got my severance package today and bought me a new laptop. The one I was using was borrowed from my son and it was on it's last legs.  Last week I put in applications to two different companies for various jobs that I did at my old job (I did a variety of jobs). Right now I am enjoying staying at home I have worked since the mid 80's with only time off from working for various medical procedures.

Sheila 

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited September 2010

This is my first time to check in in a long time.  Haven't had time to read back to see what all has been happening with everyone but will try to in the morning.  Am so glad to see this thread still up and going strong.  God is so good.  A short version of my nightmare life is you all remember when I broke my leg, well it took 7 months to heal, then developed osteoporosis, then had knee surgery, recently had shoulder surgery, had torn a biscep and they had to remove part of my collar bone and some spurs.  I still have 7 more weeks of PT to go then I must find a job.  My husband (soon to be ex) has been arrested for molesting a child, we had preliminary court last week and he is going before a jury trial in feb of 2011, his family bonded him out after 3 months in the county jail but he will end up probably spending the rest of his life in prison.  So life has been pretty much of a nightmare but I am determined to make 2011 a good year.  God has carried me through a lot of this because I did not have the strength to do it on my own.  I certainly hope everyone is doing well and hope to check in more often and catch up with all of you.  Sending everyone much love and a big hug.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2010

Jo ... I am happy that the Lord was with you and your father.  Msphil is correct - it doesn't matter how much you prepare for the end, it is still a shock when it comes.  May God continue to bless you with strength and love.

Barbe ...  heartfelt congratulations.  You are so beautiful and the baby is a gift from God.  How elated you must be!

Msphil ... I can certainly relate to your posting.  Every so often the Lord uses a 2x4 to get my attention and then I get back on the straight and narrow!

Sheila ... I hope somehing comes up soon for you.  What a crumny thing to happen.

Spar ... your plate is so loaded.  I pray the Lord watches over you and continues to give you strength and courage.  I also pray that 2011 is a banner year for you.  Love you.

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ Spar }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}  Here's to 2011 !!!!

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

Leap and the net will appear.

That's another one I like. I open make my next step "without light"!

I thought 2008, the year I turned 50 was going to be "MY" year. That was my cancer year....sigh. Now I know that EVERY year is MY year! hehehehehe

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2010

Oh Spar, I am praying right now that God will impart peace and strength for each day.  You have such a formidable positive attitude and that is a gift from God.  It is evidence of His grace working through you.  He does and will carry you through this difficult time.  {{{{{HUGS}}}}}

Jo, thank you for the suggestion about the muscle relaxer.  I will see my onc tomorrow morning and will mention it to her.  So far taking the Arimidex in the morning instead of the evening hasn't changed the intensity of the side effects, but I keep hoping.  No matter what, I'm determined to get my full five years in on this drug.

My daughter is moving back in today (she's 26) because her apartment is being renovated.  She's a strong believer and I'm thankful to have her here for a few weeks.  I have missed her.  She lives about an hour an a half away.  We see her about once a month, but I hope we get to spend some quality time together while she is here.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited September 2010

Spar I have seen you on FB and glad that you are recovering fine. I will pray for strength and peace for you as well.

I am glad my son (25) has moved back home with me while he is in the local college after 5 yrs of service in the Navy, Monday night my car battery was weak when I came home from quilt guild, but yesterday it was completely dead and he had to boost my car off so I could get to town and purchase a new battery. I have a 2002 Ford Focus I purchased used but the battery was a Motorcraft battery that was in the car when it was new. We had previous problems with it corroding but when it did and we had it tested, it tested good but it finally quit charging. 

The insurance company for the church has finally settled since the fire in May and we are starting the demolition of the damaged fellowship hall to prepare for the rebuilding. the ladies group is planning some improvements in the layout of the kitchen to make it easier to work in when we have large meals planned. The old layout was more like a home kitchen and when you got more than 3 people in the kitchen at a time, you were running into each other.

Sheila 

• kmccraw423
    edited September 2010

Good morning sisters in God!  It looks like it will be a fine day in the Nation's Capitol.

Spar ... I am still reeling from yesterday.  I know the Lord does not give us more than we can carry but there are times when He really pushes the envelope.  Just remember all the prayers being said for you and all the love going out to you.

Sheila ... same thing with my car - only its 15 years old!  Finally got a new battery.  Now I am looking at newer used cars - gosh, they are so expensive.

BTW, I changed primary care doctors (original was a man who seemed to dismiss my symptoms without ever checking anytthing!  This one is a woman who has already had me in to see cardiologist, had x-rays of my shoulders, neck, knees and hips, ordered a 24 hour urine test and had ultrasounds of my carotid arteries and kidneys!  My aches and pains might just be old age but I prefer that be confirmed.

I pray that all of you have a great day.

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

Oh Kathleen! So glad to hear you have stepped up to a real doctor! Good luck on all the tests sweetie!

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

I found it awfully slow when you did JO, that's why I didn't respond. I thought you had it diagnosed just right!

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited September 2010

Barbe, you look gorgous in that picture!!  Very lovely

JO, so sorry about your dad though I bet he is a happy man now in heaven with the Lord.  Have missed you guys a lot.  It is still hard to type for very long.  PT is lasting longer and longer, they keep adding more exercises to do but it feels so good when its finally over and get to go home and rest.

lvtoquilt, I hope we are friends on facebook, if not please befriend me.  I think we are

So much has happened but I have to say God has carried me through and it is hard but I do have a peace in my heart.  It is weird being alone after all those years of being married but I am gaining self confidence.  I can now add my own brake fluid, oil, and change a flat.  Learned to use a riding lawn mower.  Things are not as intimidating now as they were.  I will be glad when he goes to prison though cause I am kind of scared of him but keep the doors locked, the jury trial will be Feb 2011 so he is out on 50,000 bail until then.  He is not suppose to set foot on this property.  Anyway I know God has my back and my church family has helped me a lot.  They took me for this shoulder surgery and did stuff around the house I couldn't do.

Has anyone got to go on any vacations or had visitors?  Would love to hear about them.

Kathleen, I do love your friendship and appreciate all prayers.  Prayer changes things, it is mighty powerful.  Love you guys.

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2010

{{sherry}} good to have you back posting spar2, sending prayers for peace and strength!

This week, I enjoyed the feeling of wind in my hair for the first time since I started chemo in March.  I will never again take for granted these simple things.  God is good and I am grateful.

{{hugs}} to all

• kmccraw423
    edited October 2010

Sherry ... good for you!!!!  It is amazing what we can do when we "have to."  I will continue to pray that your soon-to-be ex-husband stays out of your life.  Thankfully, the Good Lord will pull you through.

With God's help I am trying to be a happier person and I think its working.  It occurred to me that so many members of my family have depression that maybe some of mine is "learned behavior" and "habit" that I might try acting "being happy" until I am!

May God's choicest blessings be upon you all.

• lvtwoqlt
    edited October 2010

Sherry we are friends on FB.

Today I am volunteering at the wig bank with my mother, dad is at home while kitchen tile is being installed. tonight is the Through Healing Eyes 2011 Calendar gala and since my mom and I were models in 2008 we are invited to attend.

Sheila 

• barbe1958
    edited October 2010

Kathleen, there is an expression "Fake it till you make it." It works for depression too! Smile, act happy and your body will "fill in the gaps" and you'll BE happy! Seems to easy, but really, life is simple, it's us humans that make it harder than it has to be. Learned behaviours are tough to break!

Sheila, network tonight and maybe a job offer will appear!!!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited October 2010

thanks JO - I get frustrated with BCO sometimes, too. Slow-downs happen every morning around 4:30/5:00 when I like to have my tea & oatmeal and read/post. It's like a clog in the pipe, nothing gets through until it finally bursts open.  It's been happening evenings too.  Sometimes you'll see numerous posts all made "a few seconds ago."  If you have the time or the inclination and want to stay on, the only thing you can do is wait it out. Yell 

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited October 2010

Yes, it's BCO, it's slow and won't load for me lots of times. I'll click on it and go and do something else while I wait on it!

Kathleen, I read something once that said if you smile, it actually re-wires the brain into thinking it has something to smile about; it can improve your mood just to smile. So, I try it when I feel like slapping somebody, I'll smile instead and hope my mood passes, ha!

Spar, hang in there lady, you can take care of yourself with God's help. My first husband was a truck driver who was gone from home a lot. I did all our yard work; pretty much took care of everything. I learned to ask for help when I needed it and he wasn't around. Don't be afraid to ask friends and neighbors for help when you need it. That's why God has us all here, to help each other.

• barbe1958
    edited October 2010

Beautiful JO!

I love this time of year when God takes up painting again...sigh. In our new place we're painting grey, burnt orange and a dull gold. Just like the fall colours now! With a splash of red of course! Just bough the first 3 cans today though we don't move until Thursday. That means Friday up and at 'em!!

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited October 2010

Brought tears to my eyes JO--a wonderful prayer!!

Barbe hope all is going well for you in your new place--the colors sound wonderful!

I finished my chemo today!!  God has been so good to me.  I told Him its my LAST chemo--EVER!! :)  I start rads in about 3 weeks.

• barbe1958
    edited October 2010

Tina, sounds like you made a solid deal with God. You did your part, now it's up to Him to hold His end of the bargain! Congrats of finishing chemo!!!