Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited September 2010

For tomorrow:

in memory of septer 11 2001

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited September 2010

Congratulations Barbe!!  My little grandson will be one on the 26th.   He was born 9 weeks early and is doing great!  He makes me forget all my troubles :)

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited September 2010

Congratulations Barbe!

• Unknown
    edited September 2010

Okay, now I know why I dreamed about holding babies and giving birth!  WOW!  That's a lotta babies!!  So wonderful!   I'm still raising teenagers, so grandbabies are a LOOOONG way off for me, but I sure do miss that new baby smell!

CONGRATS to all and give them extra hugs from me!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited September 2010

LOVE the names JO!!!!

• Unknown
    edited September 2010

oh dang JO - I would totally come undone with that many kids under the age of 10 all in one house.  Hopefully they don't stay too long!!

When we get together with my DH's family, there are 6 kids and that is ENUF.  My SIL's don't really keep the kids under control when they're in the house (my MIL's beautiful lakefront summer home), so I'm the hardass.  My MIL thanks me every time I throw the kids outside!

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited September 2010

congrats Barbe on the grandbaby. When my son married in 2005 and he was not quite 20 and in the Navy,m I told him I didn't want to be a grandma until I was 50 trying to encourage him and his wife to wait until he had completing at least a couple of years in the Navy. He is now divorced and out of the navy and I will be 50 next month and still not a grandma.

Sheila

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2010

Congratulations Barbe!  My son, my youngest, got married a week after my bc diagnosis.  He and his lovely Christian wife hope to have children in a few years.  I just can't wait to be a grandma, but I also want them to enjoy just being a newly married couple for a while. 

Enjoy that new baby smell.  You certainly have a lot going on right now with packing and a new grandbaby.  How wonderful!

JO I bet holidays with the grandkids must be crazy and awesome at the same time.

• Rocket
    edited September 2010

JO - I will certainly pray for this urgent situation with your dad.  God always knows best even when we may not.  I'm thankful that you are with your dad at this critical time.  Praying for a good resolution for all of you.  Keep us posted when you are able.

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

Dear JO, your Dad is in my prayers as are you and your family in this very scary time. May God grant your father peace in whichever way he choses....

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited September 2010

JO: Lifting you all up in prayer.

• TMarina
    edited September 2010

Jo--I also will be praying for you, your father, and your family. 

• badger
    edited September 2010

{{JO}} prayers for strength and peace coming from Wisconsin!

• Rocket
    edited September 2010

Sweet JO, tears welled in my eyes reading your request.  I lost my beloved dad three years ago and the memory is still fresh in my mind.  He was not, to my knowledge, a believer but I was extremely close to him.  I'm so thankful that your dad knows the Lord.  I will be keeping you and your family in my prayers.  Gentle (((HUGS))).

• barbe1958
    edited September 2010

When my Dad was dying we actually talked about what it would be like "on the other side". We didn't use the word Heaven, but we were talking about it all the same. I thought it was kind of cool and was even a bit envious. I asked him if he was scared and he said, "Not of dying, just of the pain." This was while he was still at home.

We've probably felt more pain at other times in our lives, but I think most of us fear the pain of dying. Fear of the unknown added to the mix makes it a very scary process. We put my Dad into hospice so he would be pain-free and he thanked us. 

• kmccraw423
    edited September 2010

JO ... I am so sorry to hear about your dad.  You will see him again only he will be completely restored in mind and body.  I know the fear of pain when dying is strong; my Mother had my sister promise not to leave her in pain.  My sister made darn sure she had a morphine drip.  I wish they had had hospice when my Mom died.

• kmccraw423
    edited September 2010

Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you ladies that I decided to get a new primary care doctor (a woman) and find out if all the things I have accepted as 'normal; and part of the aging process had a cure for them.  No such luck.  The pain in my legs, hip and back are due to arthritis and my left hip is bone grinding on bone.

At least this doctor took me seriously!  She ordered lab tests, ultrasound of my kidneys and carotid arteries, sent me to a cardiologist, etc.  My former primary care doc would simply dismiss my concerns.

BTW ... by not following a diabetic diet and keeping my blood sugars under control, my numbers on my lab test were all over the place which is why she wanted to check my kidneys!  I am trying very hard to stay on track.

Love to all.

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited September 2010

Sorry to hear about your dad. Just this past February my grandmother passed away, she was 95. My mom had called that morning to say that Grandma wasn't doing well and my parents were with her at the nursing home. I was shopping with my husband for his supplies he takes in his truck and after we left the store we went home and were planning on going to the home when we got the call that she was gone. My parents were with her and she was sleeping comfortably and quit breathing, the hospice nurse was the first one to notice she had quit breathing.

I don't know if I posted it but I am officially laid-off from work. looking for jobs but not many prospects that I want to do. We will survive on my husband's paycheck for a while.

Sheila

• TMarina
    edited September 2010

awww, jo, so sorry.  prayers and hugs for you

Sheila-- sorry about the lay-off.  I will add you to my prayers.

Tina

• mbtlcsw01
    mbtlcsw01 Member Posts: 250
    edited September 2010

Jo, I am sorry for the loss of your dad.  I thank God he went peacefully.  Shelia, hang in there, God is always up to something. 

• LadyinBama
    edited September 2010
    Jo: My condolences. I'm sending up prayers for you and your family.
  • barbe1958
    edited September 2010

JO, my mom worked hospice in a hospital for years (8) and it was uncanny how many people "waited" until they were alone to pass. Sometimes she even had to run to the elevator to let the family know before they left that their family member had just passed!

So your Dad is sitting at the right hand of God today. Glory be to Him. 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2010

JO, my dear twin, so very sorry for your loss.  Condolences and prayers for you strength.

HUGS.

• kmccraw423
    edited September 2010

Jo ... my deepest sympathy on the loss of your Father.   It doesn't seem to matter how old you are, with the loss of a parent, you feel like an orphan.  Hugs and prayers.

Barb ... I really like your new avatar (well, new to me!).

Sheila ... so sorry to hear about your layoff.  I pray good things come your way very soon.

Prayers and strength for all my sistahs.  I love you all.

• Rocket
    edited September 2010

JO - my heart both breaks and rejoices with you. The pain of losing a parent is like no other.  I rejoice that your dad, as Barbe said, is sitting at the right hand of God where there is no sickness, pain, grief, or sin.  What a blessing to know a faithful Savior! My prayers continue to be with you and your family.

Sheila - I will pray that God will reveal to you what He is doing with the employment issue.  He is always faithful to care for us.  He never leaves or forsakes us.  May He bless you today.

Loving you all.

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited September 2010

Jo, just sending my love and prayers. It is so hard losing a parent, it's like losing a part of yourself.

I come and read but don't post often, don't post too often anywhere these days. Barbe, grandchildren are wonderful, my little one is nearly two and a real cutie and does she talk, its so funny.

Big hugs to everyone.

Alyson

• badger
    edited September 2010

JO, I lost my dad several years ago so can empathize. Praying for your family.

Sheila - happy hunting, job hunting that is.  Praying for your job search.

And as always, praying for all my sisters here.  {{hugs}}

• lbmt
    lbmt Member Posts: 49
    edited September 2010

hello, and welcome to all the new bc sisters.

i too haven't been on alot lately. we have a had a very busy summer, but it all has been good.

i was so exicted a met a lady the other day, she is going thru treatment and needed someone to visit with. it felt so good to be busy in the Lords work.

we are having lots of chilly weather here, so we got our garden all harvested.

God bless all of you.

• LadyinBama
    edited September 2010

lbmt: My brother is making a trip to Montana this weekend, he lives in Colo. and they're going to Jackson Hole, then on up to MT just because they've never been there. He said he's heard it is beautiful but COLD. Cold sounds good when you are in the midst of an Alabama summer.

Just want to say hello and prayers to everybody. I'm feeling better, 4 days post treatment, nausea is subsiding and planning a lazy day watching football (it's half time of first game now:)

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited September 2010

LadyinBama - feel better.  HUGS.

Prayers going up for all.