Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• blessings51
    blessings51 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2013

Hi my name  is Andrea I am a Christian, 51 years-old, single, daughter of Jesus, who work with adults and adolescents who are addicted to alcohol/drugs. I have not ask God Why, but I ask him to use me to help others in a different way. I was diaganosed with DCIS, Stage 0,Grade 2 in left breast and 1 week later by way of MRI, LCIS, Grade 2, Stage 0 in right breast. I had a Lupectomy but margins was not clear enough (Lt breast) and (Rt breast excisional biospsy. I am now scheduled for a BM with Reconstruction TE on November 5, 2010.  I cannot make it with out the Lord and happy to connect with other praying Christain Women.  God Bless all of you.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    edited October 2010

Welcome aboard blessings51! Smile

Im so sorry you are going through this, and to have one diagnosis on top of another is rough, even though in the end of course God knows what He's doing. As Christians we ultimately come to that deduction. Some of us are wonderfully strong and say Why not me, and others, well its not so easy. Unfortunately I'm in latter category. I most certainly asked God WHY? and since BC is such a rollercoaster ride, I cant guaruntee Im finished asking that question, but I thank Him that He's teaching me, molding me and making me with this particular adversity. Indeed we cant make it without the Lord. May God give you the strength for Nov5th, and I pray right now that God will be with you in a special way. I pray for the peace that passes all understanding.

Praise His Name.

Musical

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited October 2010

blessings--glad you found this thread!  So sorry you have to deal with all of this.  I have to say that because of what I've been through, I'm walking closer to God than ever.  For me, that makes it all worth it.  It's all about God, and not me.  I know others don't agree that it's ever "worth it" to have cancer--but that's just been my experience. 

God will show up for you and comfort you.  He's done some amazing things for me, and I know He will for you too!  I will pray for you and your surgery.  Let us know how it goes!

Love and blessings

Tina

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2010

Welcome blessing51 and any other new sisters since I've last posted.  I'd rather have this disease as a Christian if I must have it.

Musical, I'm in the first category.  I remember getting the news and 2 days later browsing our church bulletin and noting several children who needed prayer because of various cancers and other life-threatening illnesses.  That put it into perspective for me - "why not me...".   I only wished that I could have taken that child's torment onto myself.  Oh, that just gave me a chill writing that because that is exactly what Jesus did for us.  Oh, to be more like Him. 

Prayers going up for all of my praying sisters here.  HUGS.

• Dollyd
    Dollyd Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010

Hi,

My name is Dolly. I live in Ireland. I was diagnosed in 1990 when expecting our now 19 year old daughter, only child. I have fallen out with The Lord. Our daughter was diagnosed with type   diabetes when she was 5 and has struggted all through her teenager years to control it. Life in betwen was all good, because we may the decision that we must accept the Lords way, which is not always what we would choose. Then in 2002 my cancer reoccured in my lung more hospital stayed etc.

A year later 2 Anysurmns  were found in my brain  and operated successfully. All this time my amazing husband stayed clam and was at every hospital appointment with me and our daughter. 14 July 2009 he was diagnosed with lung cancver and died in January 2010. In November 2009 I had an angiogram to check clipped anysurmns and it cause me to have a stroke, this while my husband was also in hospital. There is no explaination for any of this and I pray every day that I will be around for our daughter. My husband bore his illness with bravery and accepted his lot as Gods will.

If anyone can may sense of my life,  let me know.

Dolly

• SmilingSpirit
    SmilingSpirit Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2010

Jo-5 - your answer was so "spot on" I don't see how anyone could add to it. Dollyd, you are in our prayers.

• SmilingSpirit
    SmilingSpirit Member Posts: 16
    edited October 2010

here is a picture to see that should be peaceful I hope!

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited October 2010
    Dolly: There is a book "When Bad Things Happen to Good People" by Rabbi Kuschner. He doesn't have all the answers, but this book has helped me through some tough times. And I hope that it's written by a rabbi doesn't  throw you off, it's really pretty non-denominational and uses the Bible to explain things.
  • TMarina
    edited October 2010

Dolly, I too wish I had answers for you. Jo put it very well.  I have just learned to "praise Him in this storm".  We live in a fallen world, and there is sin and suffering, and I look forward to a day with no more tears or pain, when I will see my Lord and Savior face to face.  For now, I just pray that His will, not mine, be done.

Prayers for peace, healing, and blessings, are being sent for you.

Tina

ps

I too have a diabetic daughter.  Went through a very difficult time in her teen years, with depression and an eating disorder.  Didn't think she'd survive. She is now 25,  happily married and a mom of a 1 year old little boy.  They are working on adopting a handicapped boy from the Ukraine.  Because of her diabetes she gave birth 2 months early and was told she shouldn't get pregnant again.  Of course, she knew that might happen and always wanted to adopt anyway.  God has answered my many prayers for her, and she really is a miracle!  If your daughter is not using an insulin pump, I highly recommend it.  I will pray for her too.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 814
    edited October 2010

Dolly, if I could, I would like to give you a fair dingkum big ol hug. A cyber one will have to do Smile. I can relate to people who "fall out with the Lord" but I definitely hope you dont stay fallen out. I pray that God would gently draw you to Himself. We're all different in our make-ups, and Scripture says it the best.....

2Co 1:3 Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
    2Co 1:4 Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.
    2Co 1:5 For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ.

Typically true Christianity stands apart from all other belief systems where our main focus is looking outward. All else in the final analysis is looking inward. 

We can see that we go through stuff so we can empathize with others, and I empathize with the "underdog and the struggler" Been there done that. .Since God chastises those whom He loves as a father does his son, we can see the end is better than the start Smile....

Heb 12:11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

At the end of the matter there is NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT THAN GODS WILL!!! Even the the wisdom of Solomon cant hold a candle to it.

Blessings all

Musical

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited October 2010

I posted this on another thread, but I think it bears repeating. It's a good read:

Only hope we find GOD again before it is too late ! ! 

The following was written by Ben Stein and recited by him on CBS Sunday  Morning  Commentary.

My confession: 

I am a Jew, and every single one of my ancestors was Jewish.  And it does not bother me even a little bit when people call those beautiful lit up, bejeweled trees, Christmas trees...  I don't feel threatened..  I don't feel discriminated against.. That's what they are, Christmas trees. 

It doesn't bother me a bit when people say, 'Merry Christmas' to me.  I don't think they are slighting me or getting ready to put me in a ghetto.  In fact, I kind of like it.  It shows that we are all brothers and sisters celebrating this happy time of year. It doesn't bother me at all that there is a manger scene on display at a key intersection near my beach house in Malibu .  If people want a creche, it's just as fine with me as is the Menorah a few hundred yards away. 

I don't like getting pushed around for being a Jew, and I don't think Christians like getting pushed around for being Christians.  I think people who believe in God are sick and tired of getting pushed around, period.  I have no idea where the concept came from, that America is an explicitly atheist country.  I can't find it in the Constitution and I don't like it being shoved down my throat. 

Or maybe I can put it another way: where did the idea come from that we should worship celebrities and we aren't allowed to worship God as we understand Him?  I guess that's a sign that I'm getting old, too.  But there are a lot of us who are wondering where these celebrities came from and where the America we knew went to. 

In light of the many jokes we send to one another for a laugh, this is a little different:  This is not intended to be a joke; it's not funny, it's intended to get you thinking. 

Billy Graham's daughter was interviewed on the Early Show and Jane Clayson asked her 'How could God let something like this happen?' (regarding Hurricane Katrina)..  Anne Graham gave an extremely profound and insightful response..  She said, 'I believe God is deeply saddened by this, just as we are, but for years we've been telling God to get out of our schools, to get out of our government and to get out of our lives.  And being the gentleman He is, I believe He has calmly backed out.  How can we expect God to give us His blessing and His protection if we demand He leave us alone?' 

In light of recent events... terrorists attack, school shootings, etc..  I think it started when Madeleine Murray O'Hare (she was murdered, her body found a few years ago) complained she didn't want prayer in our schools, and we said OK.  Then someone said you better not read the Bible in school.  The Bible says thou shalt not kill; thou shalt not steal, and love your neighbor as yourself.  And we said OK.

Then Dr. Benjamin Spock said we shouldn't spank our children when they misbehave, because their little personalities would be warped and we might damage their self-esteem (Dr. Spock's son committed suicide).  We said an expert should know what he's talking about..  And we said okay..

Now we're asking ourselves why our children have no conscience, why they don't know right from wrong, and why it doesn't bother them to kill strangers, their classmates, and themselves.

Probably, if we think about it long and hard enough, we can figure it out.  I think it has a great deal to do with 'WE REAP WHAT WE SOW.' 

Funny how simple it is for people to trash God and then wonder why the world's going to hell.  Funny how we believe what the newspapers say, but question what the Bible says.  Funny how you can send 'jokes' through e-mail and they spread like wildfire, but when you start sending messages regarding the Lord, people think twice about sharing.  Funny how lewd, crude, vulgar and obscene articles pass freely through cyberspace, but public discussion of God is suppressed in the school and workplace. 

Are you laughing yet? 

Funny how when you forward this message, you will not send it to many on your address list because you're not sure what they believe, or what they will think of you for sending it. 

Funny how we can be more worried about what other people think of us than what God thinks of us. 

Pass it on if you think it has merit. 

If not, then just discard it... no one will know you did.  But, if you discard this thought process, don't sit back and complain about what bad shape the world is in.  

My Best Regards,  Honestly and respectfully, 

Ben Stein

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited October 2010

Andrea ... similar experience only I "thought" I was having a prophlactic mastectomy on the right but it had DCIS too.

Dolly ... I have adult onset Diabetes and I can tell you its hard.  I can't imagine what it is like for a child and then young teen.  It is so important to feel like you "fit in."  Fortunately, as we age, we tend not to care what other people think!Smile  Hey, there has to be something left to us as we are dragged into old age!  Seriously, please accept my condelences on the death of your beloved husband.  I pray that you find peace.

BTW ... I, too, raled against the fates about not just getting breast cancer, diabetes and just about everything else in my life and I can honestly say that Breast Cancer made my life better spiritually and emotionally.  I am still coming to terms with the reality of a flat chest.

Jo ... you are such a beacon of light for those of us who are just 'beginners' in Christ  You have a special talent for putting everything into perspective.  Thank you and bless you.

• Jwatrlily
    Jwatrlily Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2010

I don't have much time right now but wanted to ask for prayer for a friend of mine from my church.  Please pray for Nancy Danielson and her family.  She has a grown daughter, a 1 year old grand daughter and her husband and a 10 year old son.  Nancy would be in her early 40's.  Yesterday she ordered no more Dr and no more treatments.  Her breast cancer has mets all over with a tumor that has grown outside her chest wall and is protruding in front and over the weekend it is in her brain and moving at a raging pace.  While is it of no consequence now, her case was mishandled from the beginning over 2 1/2 years ago with a surgeon who missed a second tumor that sat in her breast (and she admitted she had ignored even though she know it was there) for over a year before he removed it.  She had went through several chemo regimens and was doing radiation until this week and she said no more when it got in her brain.  All of this breaks my heart.  It scares me but our situations are so different but I've seen her at church so much and her faith never wavered and last I knew she was still not giving up, until yesterday as her prognosis is so bleak and she feels she has had enough of the struggle.  Thanks for your prayers.

Love, faith, hope, and prayers,

Juanita

• Jwatrlily
    edited October 2010

I messed up on a post but I'm pretty upset so it's not a surprise but I'll try to repost later.

Juanita

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited October 2010

My sisters - God put you all here for a reason. You are all a blessing.

Dolly - the fact that you could even come here and post says a lot. HUGS.

• Dollyd
    Dollyd Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2010

Thank you all so much for taking time to respond. The Lord and I often fall out we have a very human relationship. My husband and I had a golden rule we always parted on good terms.  His last works to me were "and I love you too".  Our daughters name is Faith,

love to all

Dolly

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited November 2010

It's been quite some time since I've posted anything.  My family has struggled quite a bit this year, and the battle continues.  I come from a family with three brothers and three sisters.  I'm the next to the youngest.  About 8 years ago one of my older sisters was dx with bc.  She was treated and is doing fine. My eldest sister (age 65), who helps me out with our elderly mom (age 86), was dx with squamous cell carcinoma late last year.  She was treated successfully with surgery.  Her husband was dx with prostate cancer late last year as well.  I was dx with bc in Jan. 2010.  This same sister had a mammogram last week and was given a BIRADS score of 4C (suspicious for malignancy).  Both of her breasts showed microcalcifications that were clustering that didn't show up six mths. ago.  Last week, our mom, while she was staying at my sister's house, had a bad fall and put the back of her head through the bathroom door.  Fortunately she wasn't seriously hurt.  The door didn't fare so well however.  In the meantime, I've still been struggling with the extreme bouts of fatigue.  My cardiologist lowered my heart medication hoping that it would help with the fatigue, but so far it hasn't done anything except increase my abnormal heart rhythm.  I'm giving it more time and am praying that God will remove this fatigue from me.  I'm normally a very high-energy person, but I'm having a very tought time right now just to make it through each day.  I would really appreciate your prayers for my family - especially my sister.  She has an appt. with a surgeon at the cancer center on 9/16.

I know through all of this that God is in control.  He never leaves nor forsakes us.  What a comfort that is!  We serve a mighty God!

• TMarina
    edited November 2010

Rocket--praying for you and your family now!

• barbe1958
    edited August 2013

Rocket,  may God smile down upon you and your family. May He hold you in His hands and infuse the joy of life with re-newed energy! God bless. He can do all that, but YOU have to fix the bathroom door! OUCH!! Yell

JO, I don't get #5. It seems contradictory to #6.

• barbe1958
    edited November 2010

Thank you JO that did help (#4 and #5). I thought it was saying to not try anything on your own because you can't do it, but now I see it means do it with the guidance of God.

Rocket, this may sound cruel, but my DH and I get through all our stress with humour.  We can actually laugh (not hysterically) and say "How low can we go?" It has helped keep our sanity. I don't know of anyone who could go through what we have gone through the last 7 years. We actually moved from a city where we were for those 7 years, hoping for a fresh start! God Bless.

• Jwatrlily
    edited November 2010

Rocket, so sorry for what all you are going through and I certainly will pray for you and your family.    It sounds trite to say it but God never gives us more then He knows we can handle.  You are strong in your faith and made of the entire strength of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.  He will give you what you need to get through.  Keep your eye on Him.

Juanita

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited November 2010

Thank you lovely sisters for your prayers and words of encouragement.  This thread has been such a tremendous blessing to me.  You provide such encouragement as you point those you serve back to the foot of the cross.  That's where I'll be!  It's where I return often for comfort.  God's grace is sufficient for me.  An old friend of mine used to say, "Where His finger points, His hand provides."  It is so true.  Life is sometimes very complex.  The great thing is that I have a Savior who is greater still.  The cross is undeniable proof of His love for me, an undeserving sinner.  He even provides wonderful, caring friends like you to remind me of His love.  I believe very strongly in the power of prayer.  God longs to hear from us - to have a deep relationship with us. 

JO - My D level was checked at my last oncology appt. a little over a month ago.  It was at 59 ng/dl.  I have been taking 5,000 IUs of D3 daily for six months except during radiation. I'm going to buy a glucometer and check my blood glucose level to see if it's low when I have one of those fatigue attacks.  I don't think that's it, but I'm desperate to figure it out.  Don't worry, I'll prick my non-lymphedema hand. Wink

Barbe - You're right, humor helps a great deal.  I haven't really laughed hard in a long time.  I have chuckled a few times though.  I'd love to have something really hysterical to laugh about.  Well my chemo hair is pretty fun, but that only inspires a chuckle not a gut-busting laugh.  I'll have to ponder this more and look for funny things to laugh about.  Thanks for the reminder.

All of you ladies are just the best!  Thank you again for your ministry to me and the prayers for my family.  I'll let you know how my sister's appointment turns out with the bs after 9/16.

{{{HUGS to ALL}}}

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited November 2010

Sheila I bet the art was amazing.  Can you email me any pictures and I could post them on facebook?  JO  what is happening with your arm, can you email me about it?  Are you on antibiotics for cellulitis?  Since the shoulder surgery on of course the mastectomy arm I have developed lymphoedema also but it is an area right under the crack of the arm and side of breast where it rubs all the time.  Just irritating right now, hoping the massage therapy will take care of it.  I am praying for all of you to be well, pain free, and extra blessings in everyway.

• spar2
    edited November 2010

I forgot to say welcome to all the new Christian women who are joining in and sharing their lives.  I am praying for a new start in 2011.  2010 has been even worse than the cancer year and that was bad.  Things are getting better slowly but surely.  God has a way of taking care of his people even when we feel helpless and hopeless.  He never forsakes us and he has been holding me up this whole year throughout this whole nightmare.  God bless each and everyone of you.  and hey Patoo, I miss you girl and love you bunches.

• janet in virginia
    janet in virginia Member Posts: 923
    edited November 2010

Jo - what a great piece.  Thanks for posting it!  I get angry about the malls that have no religious symbolism at all during the Christmas season - just snowflakes & polar bears.  Christmas isn't about polar bears!

• spar2
    edited November 2010

JO, thanks for posting that.  People seem to forget Jesus is the reason for the season.  His birth and death is what saved us with his blood.  Also, I had noticed some of my bras are too tight and cause a lot of pain so am trying to wear only the ones that feel good.  Life is getting better or I am getting use to it.  I know our God is a mighty God and is with me all the time and small miracles have been done in my life.  I am hoping another miracle will be done and I get to keep my home. 

• barbe1958
    edited November 2010

Spar, I recently lost my house, but was able to scrape myself into a townhouse (I think you guys call them condos?). Surprise! I am happy here too! It's scary being in (100%) commission sales. Banks hate me.....sigh. I know I can never be off work or sick; a very scary predicament for sure. My DH has 3 brain tumours....sigh. Lots of sighs today....sigh.

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited November 2010

Condos/townhomes are great, I have a garden home (some call them patio homes). I just have to have at least a small yard because I've always got dogs and have to have a spot for some flowers and a couple of tomato vines! But I'm way over having a big yard.

• barbe1958
    edited November 2010

We have a wood deck; enough for loveseat, table and 2 club chairs. Enough to hang Christmas light off!

• janet in virginia
    janet in virginia Member Posts: 923
    edited November 2010

It has been so mild here where I live, I'm thinking of putting up my lights now instead of waiting until it's 30 degrees outside! :):)   (won't turn them on until after Tksgiving)