Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• marejo
    marejo Member Posts: 655
    edited November 2010

I would love to join this group.  I, too, am a breast cancer survivor.  Dx in June 2005.  So far doing great and thankful each and everyday.  I have learned so much in the past 5 years and God has fulfilled His promise....."for we know that all things work for the good of those who love Him and were called according to His purpose."  Romans 8:28  My life is very different and much happier since my breast cance dx.  I've learned true dependance on our God and have a new and different relationship with Him.  I am thankful! 

Thanks for starting such a great little group here at breastcancer.org.

Mary Jo

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited November 2010

Welcome Marejo!

• arnie2two
    arnie2two Member Posts: 374
    edited November 2010

Hello ladies... haven't posted in awhile but think of you all often!  I spent the morning cooking and listening to my bible cd's and it's always so refreshing to be listening to the word of God!  So much to be thankful for...

Marejo... I don't regret going through the bc treatments either... had soooooo many opportunities to give hugs and lift people up.  God just gave me soooo many opportunities!  This is an amazing journey...

Hope you all have a blessed day~

((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))

• Unknown
    edited November 2010

Hello Ladies,

I've been away for a bit, had my last AC chemo on November 3rd and it was the worst of all.  SEs came on the next afternoon and didn't let up until a week later, and slowly at that.  I slept a lot just trying to get through it and I'm so glad I'm finally done.  Now just purging the poison from my body and trying to get stronger day by day - it's a really slow process.

When I was really struggling, I would read daily devotions from Streams in the Desert.  I found it amazing how each day's reading was so appropriate to what I was thinking/feeling that day.  There are no coincidences, I believe, and I felt so peaceful knowing that God was right there with me through the sickness and occasional despair, and that His plan is in the works even though I have to go through this.

Now that I'm feeling better I'll try to login more frequently and catch up with everyone.

Blessings!

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2010

Mrs. Nice--glad you are done with that awful AC!  Isn't it wonderful how God shows up when you need him most?  I've had experiences throughout all this that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.  I hope I can share my faith and experiences with others.

Do you have any more chemo or rads to do?

• janet in virginia
    janet in virginia Member Posts: 923
    edited November 2010

Just want to wish each of you a blessed Thanksgiving surrounded by family or friends and knowing that we have a generous and loving God -- and of course all that comfort food!  God bless.

• LadyinBama
    edited November 2010

Ditto, blessings to all my BC friends who have become like sisters these past few months. You've all been a blessing to me. Happy Thanksgiving.

• blessings51
    blessings51 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010

Thank you for your prayers. I hope that all is well with you.  I had another episode not related to breast cancer last week. I was readmitted back into the hospital for trouble swallowing and EKG off. I am now on medication for a gastritis/ esophageil strictive Thank God again their was a Gastrologist at the ER who performed endoscopy.  My EKG was off due to that horrible experience, which felt like I could not breath, and trying so hard to breath and swallow.  God is good.  I am now recuperating I also had to get my esophagus strectched 12-3-10, then came home and my roommate moved out without telling me anything, just left the keys on the table, but God giving me strength. I have been crying praying, praying. My family and a few friends are helping me with rent.

• blessings51
    blessings51 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2010
    Hi I like what you posted, cancer changed me for the better in a strange type of way, also.  I am recuperating from surgery but using this time to reflect, prayer, praise and worship, and looking forward to kingdom building. God stopped me to become more intimate with his spirit.  God Bless you and take care.Laughing 
  • barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    edited December 2010

{{{{{{{{{{{{ Andrea }}}}}}}}}}}}}}

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited December 2010

Hi Ladies,

{{{{{{{{{{Andrea}}}}}}}}}} 

I've been away from the boards for a while.  I've been busy just trying to get life in some kind of order.  I've been going for weekly PT treatments for Axillary Web Syndrome, and they are excruciatingly painful.  I've been taking Vicodin prior to each treatment.  The first one lasted an hour and by the end of it I was a sobbing mess.  The therapist rolls and massages each cord to get it to break, but mine have been extremely stubborn.  I've now had three treatments and fortunately they are getting less painful.  I'm scheduled for weekly treatments throughout January!  UGH!

A real praise however, my sister who had a mammogram with a BIRADS 4C, got B9 results!  What a huge relief for our family!  I'm praising God for His grace and mercy.

• LadyinBama
    edited December 2010

Yes Jo, weird isn't it that at a time of year we are celebrating our Lord and our blessings, we are too busy to check in and say Hi to our Christian friends? I pray for all my BC sisters daily. Everybody have a wonderful Christmas.

• Rocket
    edited December 2010

Hi Ladies - PT continues for the AWS.  I have some very stubborn cords and they are not breaking quickly enough for my liking.  My PT is very kind however and is still doing her best.  I go every Friday for therapy and I have begun to dread it as the weeks wear on.  I pray for God's mercy and relief from these painful cords.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2010

I get very personally spiritual this time of year to ignore the wrong reason for the season. I am still me, but very protective of my Christianity. Do you know we aren't allowed to say Merry Christmas? We have to say Happy Holidays. Sheesh!!!!!

• Unknown
    edited December 2010

Barbe - I, too, try to turn inward during this time of year.  I was appalled when the stores started advertising that they're opening at 3 a.m. on Black Friday.  Who needs to shop like that??  That just ruins it for me.  I try to be respectful of others' personal celebrations, but I typically say Merry Christmas unless I know someone is Jewish or of some other culture.  Everything is so "politically correct" these days . . . or ridiculously irreverent for the sake of humor. 

Well, Merry Christmas to all you ladies here!!  Look for the joy in celebrating!

• spar2
    spar2 Member Posts: 3,631
    edited December 2010

Stopping by to say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  Miss you JO and happy to see Marejo here.  My life is still pretty much kaos but should settle down after the jury trial in Feb 2011.  I think of you all a lot.  Have not been doing any crafts and need to get back into crafting and knitting and spending more time here.  As you know I am not politically correct either.  This is my first year is a long time not to ring the bell for the salvation army but if I was I would still be hollaring out a merry Christmas.  love you guys.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2010

Spar, so good to see you! I, too, have to get back to my crafts as they truly heal my soul. Just have to get my new craft room set up. It's the last room to do, but it will be done! Merry Christmas!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited December 2010

Let There Be Peace on Earth  (Vince Gill & Jenny Gill)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPH4LRASWbo

Love and {{hugs}}  MERRY CHRISTMAS sisters!

• koshka1
    koshka1 Member Posts: 93
    edited December 2010

Hi!

This is a great thread!  I can't believe I did not notice it before. 

Anyway,,,Although I am late...and we are on page 33...I would like to join anyway!

I am 42,,,was diagnosed at the age of almost 39.  And, have been a Christian since I was 11 years old.

My faith has definately brought me through all of this...and so have the ladies on this board and in the chat room.  All have been a blessing to me as I would have not make it through this without them.

I am so glad to see all the Christian ladies posting to this thread as that in itself gives me strength!

I wish you all a very Merry CHRISTMAS (I said it!!!) and all the best for 2011.

Hugs....Kosh

ps...who said we can't say Merry Christmas anyway ???? geeeez

• lvtwoqlt
    lvtwoqlt Member Posts: 765
    edited August 2013

Let me add a big MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY CYBER FRIENDS. (I am not politically correct either)  I too have been busy and not posting as much lately. Welcome to you Kosh.  I have been busy crocheting lace snowflakes. Since last April I crocheted over 10 dozen, I sold 5 dozen to friends and have put many in Christmas cards for friends far away. I have also been making Bible covers and pocketbooks for family and friends. My job search goes on but I am enjoying my time off.

Last night the children (and a few adults) did a wonderful job on the Christmas program at church.  It was a the Christmas story from Isaiah, Matthew, and Luke by a narrator with little vignettes showing each part of the story and the corresponding carols were either sung or performed on a musical instrument while the stage was changed behind the curtain. The director, during practice, included lessons for the children on what and why different things were happening. I heard that one night there was a debate on what frankincense and myrrh were used for but didn't hear how the debate ended.

Sheila 

• lvtwoqlt
    edited August 2013

Jo, I knew years ago that Jesus was older (about 2) when the maji came and brought their gifts. Also the gifts were used to support Mary and Joseph going to Egypt. When my son was about 18 months old, he played young Jesus in the Christmas play for the Maji scene, this year, the boy they asked his mother to bring him so he could be the older Jesus had to work Sunday night and wasn't able to bring him but the Lord worked it out, the littlest girl angel fell asleep in her aunt's arms before the Shepard scene and didn't make it on stage. When they did the Maji finding Jesus, Mary, and Joseph in the house, they carefully carried the 'angel' on the stage and put her in the arms of the girl playing Mary, so we did end up with a young Jesus.

I had a job interview yesterday morning for a temp job with H&R Block as receptionist. He said they were taking applications today and 2 days next week, he would be making a decision by next Thursday. He was impressed with my experience on a multi-line phone, I felt good about the interview.

Sheila 

• janet in virginia
    janet in virginia Member Posts: 923
    edited December 2010

A very Merry Christmas to all!  For unto to us a Son is given...

• lvtwoqlt
    edited December 2010

Merry Christmas to all my friends. Jo I saw that several years ago but it is still precious.

Sheila 

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited December 2010

Merry Christmas to all my friends on this precious day when we celebrate the birth of our Lord, Christ Jesus.

• LadyinBama
    edited December 2010

Thanks for sharing Jo. I hope everyone had a great Christmas! We are having a "once in a lifetime" white Christmas in Alabama!

• Rocket
    edited December 2010

We've had at least seven inches of snow in Eastern NC today.  My DH is sick with a nasty chest  cold and fever.  I'm praying I don't come down with it.  Work has been called off for tomorrow and I'm thankful for that!  Stay warm all!

• patoo
    edited December 2010

I've got about 18 inches with 3-4 foot drifts and work is only delayed until 10:30 am - HA!  After I finish shovelling tomorrow morning they will be very lucky if I get there at all - it's a 45 min drive in good weather.

• barbe1958
    edited December 2010
    Hey Patoo, watch your back!! If you're not used to shovelling it can really do some damage! Yell
  • lvtwoqlt
    edited December 2010

Saturday and Sunday we got about 9 inches in the western part of NC. Although I know other parts got over a foot. Today we are getting high winds, I am letting the winds take care of the snow here. We did enjoy our white Christmas, spent time with family and not a lot of gifts at my house. That is the real reason for the season, spending quality time with the family. My extended family is actually getting together Thursday for a meal and games.

Sheila 

• patoo
    edited December 2010

Yep, my back is feeling it but I'm am thankful that I am blessed enough to be able to still shovel.  Could be so much worse.

Been working at home today also so I'm getting off this puter in a few and relaxing with advil and a book.