Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited January 2011

LOVE the picture Jo!  You can find Beth Moore studies at Christian book stores, but to get the most out of the study you should watch the DVD that goes along with it, and I assume that is expensive.  You watch Beth on the dvd (she is a very passionate speaker!), discuss, and then there is 5 days of homework. You can also download each segment from her website, but I think it costs $4.99 each and there are 11 (it's an 11 week study). This study goes through the captivity of Israel and comes mostly from Isaiah, 2 Kings and 2 Chronicles, although your Bible gets a good workout as she jumps all over!

• IHOP
    IHOP Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2011

I wanted to attend a Beth Moore event when it came to town but the tickets were $60!  She is well worth it, don't get me wrong but its outside alot of folks price range in this economy.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited January 2011

My pastor said something that really hit home today. The saying God never gives us more than we can handle isn't found in the bible anywhere first off, and second he does give us more than we can handle which makes us turn to him for our strength. I really gave me a sense of peace to hear this today.

• marxi
    marxi Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2011

I have seen her on Life with James Robison.

• TMarina
    edited January 2011

So true Kira!  Another saying you often hear is "God helps those that help themselves".  This is not Biblical either.  God wants us to depend on Him and lean on Him, ALL the time!

We had a young lady with a potter's wheel and the Pastor spoke about God being the potter as she made a pot.  It was interesting to see how that is really done, and relate that to how God shapes us into the image of His Son.  1st the air bubbles(areas of sin) are pushed and squeezed out (not a pleasant process!), then the clay is centered on the wheel and started spinning (don't we sometimes feel like we are spinning?), then the potter firmly guides the clay to make a pot, with a good foundation so it doesn't wobble.  The finished product has the fingerprints of the potter on it!  Many more details were added, but you get the idea.  And many Bible verses were used also.  "We are God's workmanship..." Eph2:10a

Have great day everyone!  We'll be cheering for da Bears and Steelers today. :)

• kira1234
    edited January 2011

We are also cheering fir da Bears.

I like your potters story Tina. It is so true, and he shapes us the most during the hard times.

• kira1234
    edited January 2011

tempted is one thing JO, I'm not talking about temptation I'm talking about pain and suffering that's another thing altogether. God wants us to turn to him with the pain and suffering.

• kira1234
    edited January 2011

Jo, Thanks for explaining I guess I sort of got cought up in my own troubles. It has been very hard what with Dad dying, a coworkers Dad nearing the end, and another one's husband who died on Sunday. Add to that my next door neighbor died on Saturday. It just doesn't seem to end. Plus I found out my grandson just got kicked out of daycare today because of his behavior due to his being bipolar or scisphrenic problems not sure which it is yet still being tested.

With that being said the only way I have the strength needed for all these dear friends is through the lord.

• TMarina
    edited January 2011

kira--lifting you up in prayer!!

• kira1234
    edited January 2011

Tina and Jo, It is greatly appreciated. It seems so much is on my platter these days. I am trying to stay positive for those I love, but hard with my own fears having only 6 months behind me with my own cancer diagnosis..

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited January 2011

Kira: ((HUGS)) and prayers to you.

• LadyinBama
    edited January 2011

PS: Jo, I thought you had a good idea about posting pics so we could all know each other a little better. So I posted  a pic as my new avatar. This was taken soon after my hair came out. I was trying on a new hat.

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    edited January 2011

Hi ladies.  I was doing a search and came across this group.  Im so happy.  I just wanted to ask anyone if they have come across other people of faith who question them about their faith in God when it comes to treatment?  I had this happen and it still gets to me and I am having such a hard time with it.  I was told that if I would have more faith in God he would heal me.  That I dont need surgery and that my faith is strong enough.  This person has know idea what I have been thru with a God that I love so very much and have given my life to, so to say this just upsets me so. I dont know why I let it get to me like it has, but I have to deal with this person on a daily basis, so it makes it rough.  Thanks for the room. 

• TMarina
    edited January 2011

Paula--I understand how that would be upsetting!  That person must be listening to too many of those "prosperity" evangelists  (we're all supposed to be healthy and wealthy, right?).  Try not to let it upset you.  Give it to God.  I would be praying for that person, because they don't have the Truth.  Be confident in what you know, and continue asking God for wisdom.

We live in a fallen world, and there will be times of trouble (disease, etc.).  Even Paul, that great man of God, had an affliction that God chose not to heal. From 2 Cor. 12  8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Paul actually boasted about his weakness!  He delighted in it knowing that God's power would be shown through it.  I love these verses!! God's grace is sufficent for me!

Some people think I'm crazy because, while I hate cancer, I'm thankful that God allowed me (He didn't give it to me!) to go through this because I've learned so much about Him and have drawn so much closer to Him.  That alone makes this all worth it.  We were created for God's glory (Isa 43:7), and sometimes God uses our illness or other troubles to show the world who He really is.

Having said all that, I do believe God still heals people, and I will continue to pray for healing!  I will be persistent, as His word tells us to be! 

Hope this helps a little Paula--I will pray for you and this other person right now.

Tina

• LadyinBama
    edited January 2011

Tina: Like Jo, the first thing I thought of was "has this person never heard of Job?"

I was at lunch with a friend the other day and I said something about my first husband, who died suddenly 8 years ago (I was widowed at age 44; I remarried a year ago). Later she said something about everything being done by God for the best. And I said "I'd just as soon have my sweet, first husband back, if it's all the same to Him"; I was half joking. But then she said "well, maybe He wasn't working in your life, maybe He was setting it up so that Mark would be happy." I was really floored. That she would think God made me suffer for 8 years so that my current husband could have a little happiness?

Anyway, I try to ignore it when people say stuff like that. It's human to try to explain everything and to think if we just live right or do the right things, tragedy and illness will never hit us. I like the saying "God makes it rain on the just and the unjust." That's just the way it is. My God is so much bigger than our feeble, human minds can grasp and He defies easy explanations.

• Paula66
    edited January 2011

Thanks girls.  Its good to hear that Im not the only one.  I never even thought of Job.  I see this person daily and wonder what happened the the person I once knew and who is standing in front of me now.  I pray regularly for him and I just ask that he wakes up from whatever it is holding him this way.

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited January 2011

Paula ... someone said something like that to my Mom .. later he came back and apologized.  Just pray that these people actually 'see the light' and realize, as everyone here has said - life happens.

LadyinBama ... that's a new one on me!  I'm not as knowledgeable as some on here but I'm pretty sure God does NOT work that way.

• kira1234
    edited January 2011

I want to thank all of you for the prayers. It has been a long couple of weeks, but as Jo has said God is with me through it all. I am so  thankful God is with me through all the pain. Without Gods faithfullness I know I would not be able to handle it all. I do feel sorry for my one coworker who isn't a believer, she is so angry at taking her husband at this time in there lives.

To add a very personal prayer request, a student I had last year lost her mother and brother today in a very bad car accident. She was flown to the local hospital in critical condition. Her namer name is Heather, and she  needs all of our prayers we can lift up today. By the way she is in 3rd grade.

• marxi
    marxi Member Posts: 40
    edited January 2011

Praying for Heather.

• kira1234
    edited January 2011

marmax, Thankyou for praying for her. She is truly one of the  children who will change you with her joy of  life with and excitment about learning.

• Paula66
    edited January 2011

Lifting heather up in my prayers.

• LadyinBama
    edited January 2011

Please God be with Heather and give her your comfort and peace.

• TMarina
    edited January 2011

oh Kira!  That poor child! Will definitely pray for her!

• kmccraw423
    kmccraw423 Member Posts: 885
    edited January 2011

Prayers for Kira. 

• kira1234
    edited January 2011

Thanks for all the prayers for her. When I went to school today there was a make shift memorial along the side of  the road where the accident happened. I feel so sorry for her and her dad loosing a mother and a brother are something I can't even imagine. Her dad feels it will be best for her to get back to school as soon as she can, so that is the plan at this time. I had her for 2 years since I moved from 1st to 2nd with that class, so needless to say I think of her more like my own child than a student.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited January 2011

Dear Spar2, I just your introduction to this thread, I sure say Amen to that. This sounds like such a nice board, very calming and peaceful. I was going a little crazy there for awhile. Hope you don't mind if I get on board here. God bless you, Kathy

• LadyinBama
    edited January 2011

Welcome Kathy!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2011

Dear Ladyin Bama!!!! Thank you for welcoming me. I lived in Hoover, AL from 2007-2008. We transferred back to IN with USS. We just loved Alabama. Have a great evening. Love, Kathy

• mikita5
    mikita5 Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2011

I just wrote a book and lost it!  I'll be short and say I'm Kathy and I've been on here for almost 2 yrs, which was when I was diagnosed with bc. I learned all I needed to know from this site to make my bc treatment decisions.

I hope you'll let me join you fabulous ladies!

• TMarina
    edited February 2011

Jo--I'm glad you posted that.  I've had both cancers and have been told that there is no correlation (and I've had genetic testing done for both also), but I always hear from others who insist that there is, because they heard that from someone they know who had one of the cancers.  The only relation between the 2 is that once you've had one cancer you are at higher risk for getting another.

Welcom to Mikita and Kindergarten!  May God richly bless you today!