Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• marxi
    marxi Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2011

it's true...people really do want to hear that you are fine and nothing else...this is the trap i got into and am now experiencing the emotions of grief and loss.  i did such a great job of convincing everyone that someone i convinced myself.

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited February 2011

To Jo-5

When I had the mastectomy and reconstruction and 17 node removal 28 years they didn't do anything else. No drugs, no chemo, no radiation. I went to the library (no computers either) and looked up arm exercises.  I did see my plastic surgeon often due to having a drain. But after 3 weeks I was allowed to go back to work and begin running again. My arm felt really weird; like ants were crawling all over the inside and every now and then it felt like hot water was being poured on the arm (on the inside) These things different hurt and only happened from time to time. I had no lymphedema (sp?) that I was aware of. 

So, yes things have changed a lot I know---so many options now and so many new terms to learn. I'll let you all know what the surgeon says on Monday - really anxious to hear if any nodes were involved.

PS I began some very slow jogging yesterday (8 days post-op) nothing hurt, but I got tired easily---

• lynniea
    lynniea Member Posts: 336
    edited February 2011

Just got out of church.  I feel very peaceful about all of this.  It's good to know I am no longer a newbee I have graduated.  yea now I can post anytime.  I love you all here and the prayer is wonderful.  We need to trust in him no matter what is going on.  Thanks for all your support.

• lynniea
    edited February 2011

Thanks Jo for the prayers.  I had a great weekend in Maine  with my daughter sister and cousin and niece.  Had some great food Lobster.  Did some great shopping in Freeport Maine where there are a lot of outlet stores. LL Bean, North Face Bass shoes to name a few. 

Now back to the real life I saw my oncologist today. She said I will need to have Chemo, Surgery and Rad in which order I don't know.  I have to have a pet scan to.  I see them both on the 28th of Feb to decided my plan. I just want to get this started.

• msphil
    msphil Member Posts: 185
    edited February 2011

Hello sweetie, I too know the pain of losing a parent, my dad passed 5 yrs ago and he was my best friend, I miss him dearly, but I get so much pleasure knowing he is with Our Lord, and Our dads are with HIM(Praise the Lord) God Bless and keep you and family and ALL of US here and our families.  IDC, L mast, chemo, rads, stage 2, reconstruction didn,t take, and implants were removed, use prothesis, tamoxifen for 5yrs, and cancer Free for 17 yrs(PRAISE THE LORD).  msphil 

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited February 2011

Well, I saw the surgeon today and got a copy of my pathology report. Good news--the sentinel node was cancer free!!

There are some things in the report I don't understand, but I guess the oncologist (whom I see next) can explain them.  Nowhere is a "stage" mentioned but I have a nottingham histologic score of 6, and glandular differentation is a 3, nuclear pleomorphism is a 2 and mitotic count is 1.  I will look up these on the Internet. There are some B9 vascular microcalsifications and the pathologic stagin is p21b, pNO(i-)  ??????

Thanks for the good wishes guys!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2011

Dear Lynniea!!! You are in my prayers daily. I know you will handle this journey with such grace and strength. God bless you, Kathy

• lynniea
    edited February 2011

Thanks for all the prayers.  I have a pet scan on the 24th.  Praying for good news for the scan.  I sat with the social worker today to see if there is any financiale help.  Now it is time to get this show on the road. 

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited February 2011

Will keep you in prayer Lynniea

• LadyinBama
    LadyinBama Member Posts: 993
    edited February 2011

Sr: Stage is based on tumor size, node involvement and whether or not it has mestasized. Based on your stages (small tumor, no nodes), I'd say you are Stage 1. There is a site somewhere that explains all this, but I can't remember which one. Just Google "breast cancer staging" and I'm sure you can find it.

• Sherryc
    edited February 2011

Got word on my Dad today and he has non-small cell lung carcinoma (Squamish) and it has mets to his ribs.  We all know here that is not good news.  I have to take him to get his simulation for his rads treatments next wed and they will also do a pet scan instead of ct scan for the planning and that will also give us the rest of the information we need like if it has gone to his lymph nodes or other places.  He has said he does not want to do Chemo, but I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there.  I do hope he changes his mind, but I have to remind myself that it is his decision to make. He is not in good health and his first wife died of cancer so he knows what chemo does to the body and he says he just does not want to go through that.  I remind him that research has come along way and yes chemo is hard on the body but they have made improvements since his first wife died.  My mom is not taking this very well at all.  I think it is just way to soon since I was diag and she just is not coping very well.  She was pretty good about llistening to what I said about me and I think not trying to worry but now she keeps asking me over and over if I am going to be OK.  I keep trying to assure her I was early stage and I have a very good prognosis, but she still worries.  She has always been a take charge person and we all know how cancer does not let you take charge, you learn to cope a little differently so it is driving her crazy, the waiting etc.  Please pray for my family it has been a rough couple of years as my sister in law died a year ago of breast cancer, then me diag with BC  5 months ago and now my dad with lung mets.  I am ready for cancer to leave my family alone.

• LadyinBama
    edited February 2011

Sherry: Prayers going up for you and your family!

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited February 2011

Sherry, Lyn, and Lady--I've responded to you on different threads--but i'll say it again--I'm keeping you in my prayers!

I had a CT and MUGA on Monday, and saw my onc and had Herceptin today.  Everything looks good!  I wasn't even nervous about the CT--God gave me peace about it.  Now I hope He does the same before my mammo and MRI in March!

God is GOOD!  Laughing

• lynniea
    edited February 2011

Thanks for the prayers.  I feel so helpless right now.  I just want a plan to know what is going on.  I have a pet scan tomorrow and will hope and pray it will get paid for. My God can take care of all thing.  They had prayer for me at church yesterday.  It was vary powerful and felt peaceful I know my God can do all things.Trust and obey that's the only way.  So I just need to trust him.

• LadyinBama
    edited February 2011

Lynniea: I've said a prayer that all goes well with your scan. My scan is Friday and I see the doc next week to see what's next.

• Sherryc
    edited February 2011

Lady in Bama will be praying for your scan

Lynn-I'll be praying for yours as well.

• lynniea
    edited February 2011

Thanks for the prayers they mean so much.  My doctor's meet today at a tumor board to discuss my treatment plan and what is best.  I ask God that he will heal me or guide them for what ever is next.  I have my Pet scan this morning.  Sometimes we go through things just to know we have faith in God and he will see us through not how we wanted it but what God wants. 

• TMarina
    TMarina Member Posts: 297
    edited February 2011

lynniea--you have such a sweet spirit.  I will pray for you now--and for the docs, and the tests!  No matter what--God is good--all the time!

• Sherryc
    edited February 2011

and All the time, God is good!!!

• lynniea
    edited February 2011

Yes he is  I don't know how patients can go through this without God.  I am so blessed to know him.  And it is great to know people who feel the same.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2011

Wow, Lynniea, I was just thinking the same thing, how do people go through challenges without faith. I too feel so blessed to be on thread with ladies that feel the same, too. Every day, I wake up saying"Let Go, let God. I am praying for all of you that are going through this challenging journey. God bless you all, Kathy

• lynniea
    edited February 2011

Thanks Kathy for your prayers.  I know that I could not do it without him.  I have a brother that will go with me to my appts.  It is a blessing when you have a tight family to turn to in times like these.  You also are an encouragement to me to know a lot of you have already been through this.  Yesterday be four my test went by the chapel in the hospital and said a few words.  He hears and answers us the very minute we speak.  Sometimes it's not our way but the Lord's.  God Bless You All Have a nice day.

• LadyinBama
    edited February 2011

Ladies, coming home from my scan today, I was flipping radio stations and ran across a station that I thought was a Christian station. The guy was talking about a friend of his who had cancer and after he gave his life to God, the cancer was cured. He said the friend had cancer because he didn't have God. He said "where does cancer come from? it comes from God." I was so mad!!! How can you say God strikes us with this disease. I have never believed that I was being singled out or punished by God for anything. And God was and is in my life; before, after and during cancer! He "makes it to rain on the just and unjust"; it's just part of life that I got sick. I wish I had paid attention to who this bozo on the radio was so I could write/call him and let him know what I think of his little theory about God and cancer. But I was so pissed off, I just changed the radio station.

Hope you all have a good weekend!

• Paula66
    Paula66 Member Posts: 1,572
    edited February 2011

I get so upset when I hear silly things like that Bama.  T was told God would heal me if I just had more faith in him.  I dont know what go thru some peoples mind.  I have been drawen closer to him since I have been diagnosed.  Why is it when you tell some people you have cancer, they say the strangest things.  I have a SIC who ask me everyday what she can pray for and to me that is the biggest blessing that anyone can do is just pray. 

• lynniea
    edited February 2011
    Good Morning Ladies
  • lynniea
    edited February 2011

Yea I did it!!  That was fun.

• lynniea
    edited February 2011

I feel the same but not everyone is going to believe in God.  Some people choose to make life worse when you have to go it alone.  God hears us and answer us when no one want to talk . 

I lift my Hand's to Thee

Lamb of Calvary

I was bending low when you reached down for me

Precious King of Kings your my everything

I lift My hands to Praise your Holy Name

• Sherryc
    edited February 2011

I hate when people say stupid things.  When my son died I had all kinds of stupid comments.  I believe that God loves me and does not cause me pain.  If I let him lead he will carry me through the situations of my life.  If I lead I cause myself misery.

• lynniea
    edited February 2011

Home from DR. Appts.  I am having port put in on March 9th and sentinel biopsy the same time.  Pet scan came back negative for lymph nodes but still concerned.  I start chemo on March 16th They are using dose dense AC------>T.  I also have to get echo of the heart for a base line before chemo.  I keep saying one day at a time.

• LadyinBama
    edited March 2011
    Hooray Lynniea!! So glad the pet scan was good. All that is going on is normal. I had the port in (mine was easy, no problems), then they do a "muga" scan to be sure your heart is healthy, they don't want to do chemo if you have heart issues. Hang in there, you can do it!