thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• ARCats
    ARCats Member Posts: 105
    edited June 2016

My prayers are with all of you, your family and friends. This is from Pocket Prayers:

"Father rain your blessings on my friends and family today. Give them hope whatever they face. May they recognize that the good and perfect gifts are from you. Thank you that your blessings never end. You give them to us at unexpected times. In Jesus' name, amen."

God Bless

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited June 2016

Jo I'm glad you are doing a bit better. Have you seen an orthopedist for the knee pain?

Nancy I pray God gives you the wisdom on how to adjust your meds.

I went to our church Women's breakfast today for the first time in ages. I almost felt normal. It feels like I've been in a trance for the last 2 yrs and am beginning to slowly come out of it. Thank you Jesus. Love, Jean

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    edited June 2016

After being off this site for just a few days, I found I had several pages to read.

Happy you are feeling a little better, Jo. Even when I am not reading posts, all on this thread are included in my prayers. He knows your needs when I pray for my sisters here.

My interview with Living Beyond Breast Cancer was Tuesday. How they got my name to ask if I would apply to be a representative/community connector, I don't know...but they did. So, I applied and was chosen for a 40 minute phone interview. I was asked a lot of questions and they will announce the 25 women who have been chosen across the country in a couple of weeks. Do I really want to do this?? Not sure, but I feel if God placed this in front of me, I need to "Pay It Forward." I have been so blessed getting through this journey that I want to be a spokesperson and support to other women. IF I am chosen, I will do this. It is an involved 2 year, volunteer commitment. They do provide a lot for women! Look up Living Beyond Breast Cancer. I will let you all know.

Almost midnight and need to have my prayer time asking for a good day for us all tomorrow and give thanks for all our blessings.

Lynn

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,875
    edited June 2016

Good morning ladies,

I hope you all have a good Sunday. I will check in later.

Love,

Nancy

• ARCats
    edited June 2016

TO ALL MY SISTERS AND FAMILY IN CHRIST.

TRAGEDY HAS HIT A CITY CLOSE TO ME . PLEASE PRAY FOR ORLANDO, FLORIDA, AND FOR OUR COUNTRY.

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited June 2016

ARCats I live in Orlando but fortunately I'm not affected neither is my family and friends but will be praying for those in the hospitals and for the families of those who lost their lives. May God have mercy on us.

Aurora

• zjrosenthal
    edited June 2016

My brother in law just moved to the area in Florida from Colorado where there were also shootings. Praying for all. Love, Jean

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947
    edited June 2016

I have not been around much but you are all in my prayers. Tomorrow is my first mammogram since my diagnosis. Since my cancer was found on a mammogram and I did not have a lump, I am feeling a bit nervous. Praying for a clear mammogram.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2016

Good evening dear ladies,

I didn't even know what had happened in Orlando until our minister mentioned Orlando in his prayer today and I still didn't know until I got home and saw the news on TV what actually happened. It is really hard to fathom what prompts these terrorists to do the unspeakable things they do. We know that we live in a fallen world and this is proof of that. We also know that God is still in control no matter how chaotic things look to us. We need to pray for this community who has lost so many, many people and to pray for those who are still in critical condition and for those who were spared and have lived through the horror of it all. We need to pray for the families and friends in their grief and loss.

For those of you living in that community and those who were close to it we pray that you will not live in fear and that the Lord will protect you.

Lynn, praying that if this is meant to be that you get this volunteer position then the Lord will open the doors for you to walk through and equip you with what you will need to do this demanding position.

Glenda, praying against fear as you have your mammogram tomorrow and praying for a good result.

Joanne, praying that your pain will become manageable and that your new knee braces will help you.

I hope everyone has a good night's rest tonight and those in treatment will be able to manage any side effects from both active and inactive treatments.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2016

• zjrosenthal
    edited June 2016

Grateful for getting more strength and endurance as I walk. Grateful for my femara that is keeping me from a relapse. The side effects are a lot better than cancer returning. Grateful for my family who love me and put up with my nuttiness. God is so good to me. Love, Jean

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2016

I too am most grateful for more strength and energy during my treatment this month. We have to pray that somehow this world will find peace and trust that God will be with us. If there is any lesson to be learned from this terrible tragedy in Orlando, it's to never take a good day for granted and to love your family, friends and enemies. God be with all of you tonight and may you sleep well and pain free.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2016

Jean and Faith, glad to hear you both are experiencing more strength and energy. Amen to what you said Faith.

Joanne, yes, God's love never fails. if we can only grasp how much He loves each one of us. I think our finite minds can't even imagine the enormity of what that is.

Have a good night dear ladies.

Love

Nancy

• ARCats
    edited June 2016

Joanne,

Amen and Amen. Good morning to all. My Prayers are with you.

• zjrosenthal
    edited June 2016

Jo, you will recover. 4 months ago I couldent even get put of my house and some days I thought I'd never be able to do any more than walk to the bathroom. I'm still fighting for every step and won't give in to the enemy's discouragement. Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2016

Good evening dear ladies,

Kathy, I have continued to pray for your son and wife. With a baby coming in December maybe this will be what they need to to overcome their challenges.

Thank you all who have prayed for me. I have been feeling better and so thankful I have been able to resume my swimming. This is the first day I have not had GI issues for a very long time. I have been hard at work getting my flowers planted and my yard in shape so I can have more time for my photography. I am taking a class in July so feel some pressure to get things done quickly. I bought some new little sunflowers in pots yesterday and this banner reminded me of them. God's creation is truly amazing and we are a part of his wonderful workmanship.

Joanne, continued prayers for answers for you regarding your pain challenges. Praying you can gain strength each day. Hang in there.

Jean, you have come a very long ways and I am thankful you are doing so well.

Have a good night everyone. I hope those of you in treatment are dealing with the SE's and doing well.

Love,

Nancy

• Joy_1
    Joy_1 Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2016

Hello,

This is my first time submitting a comment to this thread. I am wondering about something and hope you all will have some insight. I had a lumpectomy 16 months ago for ALH, pre-cancerous. I've been on Tamoxifen for a year. I also have taken Atavan for anxiety/depression since the surgery. What I an wondering about is this, since we are supposed to rely on God for strength and peace, is it wrong to take something for anxiety? Does it mean I'm not trusting God enough? I just couldn't stop crying and my Oncologist prescribed it, and it helps. What do you think? Do any of you also get emotional help from a prescription?

Thanks

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947
    edited June 2016

Joy, When I went through menopause I went into a very dark place due to lack of estrogen. My pastor told me God should be enough. My faith wasn't strong enough. In reality the loss of estrogen had had an adverse effect on my body and was effecting everything. I left my church, my friends, withdrew and the list goes on. I also could not sleep at night. I talked to my gp and she suggested I try a low dose antidepressant. I took it for several years. Things got better. I found a church that was more supportive and was able to start living again. You may not need it forever. What I found it that with medication I was able to refocus my relationship with God, think more about him and others than myself and when I was ready I stopped using the antidepressant. That was 15 years ago. Allow yourself time to adjust to your diagnosis and when you are ready talk with the MO about stopping it.

• zjrosenthal
    edited June 2016

I also took Ativan during active treatment and still have some for when I need a good nights sleep because of an early appointent the next day. God allowed the wisdom to create these drugs. I don't think it means you aren't trusting Him. Trust Him enough to take the meds you need. Love, Jean

• Joy_1
    edited June 2016

Thank you all for your responses! You have definitely made me feel better about taking an anxiety med. I really was feeling guilty about it and now I see that I don't need to. It's wonderful to meet such a caring, praying group of women. God bless you day, each of you!

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2016

Welcome Joy. I get email notifications of our posts here and my first thought to your dilemma was the very same thing Joanne said to you. If a diabetic needs meds they usually take insulin. Depression and anxiety are symptoms of physical things happening in our chemicals in our brain. We sometimes need meds to regulate those chemicals.

Due to my cancer drug taking estrogen out of my body I have to rely on sleeping pills to sleep. I don't like the fact that I have to do that but it is the reality for my life now. It doesn't mean I trust God any less than I did.

It certainly sounds like you need something to calm you down and I would take the meds prescribed to you by your oncologist. We trust them to give us cancer drugs and to guide us through the physical parts of cancer. God gave us doctors and in this case I believe you should trust your doctor.

I am very sorry that you found yourself in a place of isolation but that is a pretty common thing that can happen when we are going through a tough time. I hope that you can feel like you got your life back after going on these meds. You will start to seeing things differently I think. We will pray for you for sure. We have all been through periods of feeling not our best and in some cases out of control. I believe in the miracle working power of God but I also believe in the wisdom of doctors and God gave us doctors. I pray for healing for you through what ever means you choose to use. We will support you and pray for you. You will get through this.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    edited June 2016

Joy, I too experienced a lot of isolation during treatment. I am done now and slowly getting back to "normal" living. (Whatever that is!) During treatment my faith roots grew much deeper and I was drawn closer to Jesus. Sometimes I was drawn kicking and screaming but the end result of this cancer journey has been positive growth.

Jo, I hope the ortho can help you. Love, Jean

• Joy_1
    edited June 2016

Hi Nancy,

Thank you so much for your comments. Knowing that there are women who care is a wonderful blessing. When I had my surgery, they took a much bigger section than I thought they would. I thought I was going to be strong and it would all be no big deal, and I was really wrong! I had the support of my husband and family, but I just fell apart. Not strong, just a blubbering scared mess. I needed some help. I was mostly disappointed in myself! They had given me some Atavan before the surgery and my doctor said that it was fine for me to keep taking it. I am learning as I go that trusting God is the only way to really be strong. I was concerned that the "peace" I feel was chemical and not spiritual. I guess it can be both.
    Love,Joy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2016

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited June 2016

Good evening ladies,

Joy 1, I'm adding to the other responses about taking meds for depression and anxiety. I have actually had a pastor make the statement about we shouldn't need that type of medication if we trust in God. (He turned out later to be a liar and deceiver.). I took an anti depressant in earlier years when going through a divorce..stopped it soon after I remarried and started a new life. After my first breast cancer diagnosis and treatment , the Tamoxifen and menopause had my hormones in total turmoil. My oncologist prescribed the generic of Effexor to help regulate hot flashes and it also helped with mood and emotions. I'm still on it , 5 years later. I thank God for all the options of treatment for Side effects.

Satan always wants us to doubt our faith...the Lord knows your heart and your struggles. I found the medication also helps me feel better in general, which allows me to serve God and share my testimony.

Praying for all you ladies today...

Ellen

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited June 2016

HI all.

Joy, you have gotten wonderful information from these amazing ladies. I'm glad you found this thread and encourage you to come around often to post or just read as either way you will get inspiration and support and will definitely always feel the love that they send your way.

I haven't been posting too often but do read through the thread, praying for each as I go and you can be assured that a prayer has been sent up for you as well and will continue going forward.

Blessings, Phyllis

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited June 2016
    Good evening ladies, I was intending to post tonight about how grateful I am for another good day of feeling good and upbeat after having lunch with an old friend and then spending two hours at a crowded, hot drivers facility to renew my license and taking my first driving test in 60 years, and the passing the test which really had me worried. Should not have worried and trusted in God. I came home tired but happy and I really am feeling very blessed.

However, after reading some of these threads tonight, I am sad and concerned for so many but one in particular whose daughter has metastatic breast cancer and she is the one doing all the research and breaking the news of bad test results to her daughter and SIL and other family members and feeling very stressed, so I am asking you all to join me in prayer for her and her daughter. She seems so stressed, it's heartbreaking. I pray that God will give her the strength she needs to deal with everything.
  • bandwoman1234
    edited June 2016

Lord we pray for this lady whose daughter has metastatic breast cancer. We pray that you will give them both strength for this long and hard journey that they are on. We pray that you would guide and direct her treatments and that you would draw all of their family closer to you. If they do not know you we pray that you would place someone in their path that could share the good news of your salvation with them. Help them to relieve the stress that comes with these difficult challenges.

Faith, congratulations on renewing your drivers license. That is a great accomplishment after so many years. PTL

Have a good day dear ladies and look for the blessings in this day. They are all around you.

Love

Nancy

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited June 2016

Hello everyone, I just wanted to thank you all for praying for my mother and my aunt. Praise God my aunt came out of surgery with flying colors inspite of her being 86 years old. they removed a BENIGN cyst. it was really large but it was benign which is awesome. My mom finished her antibiotic treatment yesterday and she stayed away from alcohol at least for the week it lasted so she can now recuperate completely from the UTI she had. Again thank you for the prayers.

As far as things with me everything is going pretty good. I started a new treatment two months ago and this one is much more tolerable than the chemo I was n, my hair is even starting to grow!  I do get a little nauseas sometimes but not bad.

I read all of your posts and lift you in prayer as I read.

God bless.

Aurora

• zjrosenthal
    edited June 2016

Joy, welcome to the world of the normal faith filled breast cancer patient. I don't think there is one woman here who wasn't scared. We ALL have had meltdowns. Please be gentle with yourself. You are handling things just fine. Courage isn't a lack of fear, it's being absolutely terrified and going through the treatment anyway. Love, Jean