thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,875
    edited November 2016

Tracey,

There is certainly nothing wimpy about facing your surgery coming up. BTW Be sure to let us know the exact date (Jan 5 at this point) when it is coming so we can be praying for you before, during and after it is over. Christians have emotions and there is no reason to apologize for that. We experience fear and anxiety when we hear the word cancer just as everyone in the world experiences that. We do have an anchor to hold on to and lean on and you will find that your faith will become more real to you than ever before. Your cancer journey will be a marathon and not a sprint so I am not surprised that the word patience was given to you.

Having the date of your surgery changed is very unsettling especially when Christmas is in there too. I have had cataract surgery in both of my eyes and when my first one was scheduled I was up at the crack of dawn and all prayed up and prepped emotionally and got a phone call soon after I got up that my surgeon was sick and the surgery had to be postponed. It affected the date of my second surgery as well and I had to be there for my mom's cataract surgery and all these dates had to coincide. It was not cancer surgery but none the less we build ourselves up in preparation in all ways and then when things change it is NOT easy so I can completely understand how unsettling these changes must be for you. God's timing is not our own and that is not easy to deal with when it doesn't coincide with our plans.

Will you have your DIEP surgery at the same time as your initial surgery or is it later? It sounds like you may be having it at the same time.

We will be praying for you. I understand that having more time to think about this can cause more anxiety but I will be praying that you will be able to actually enjoy Christmas this year and that it will be a pleasant distraction. If your surgeons thought for a minute that waiting would not be in your best interest then they would not be waiting.

We have a lot of new people on this thread and continue to get new people. Just jump in and feel free to say hey I am a basket case and I need prayer NOW or whatever the case may be. We are all from different backgrounds and from all over the country and the world but we are all in this club together that no one ever thought they would be in or signed up for. There is strength in community so I hope you and all the new people will feel welcome.

Love,

Nancy

• quiltspice
    quiltspice Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2016

Thank you Nancy for just the right words!!!! Yes, my DIEP surgery will be at the same time...... they told me it would be a 12hr surgery! yikes. I've never had surgery before.

Thank you for mentioning Christmas!!!! I so need an attitude adjustment over it...... my daughter and her husband, newly married are coming up ...... I'm so excited to see them, but a large part of me just wants to crawl in a hole and not face Christmas at all. My other daughter is coming up Friday - and she will be back for a month in Dec........ I know it will all work out. And God's timing is perfect. I have my husband and my 3 grown boys who are willing to help post surgery.

I have SO much to be thankful for. So much. And I am so thankful for you all here on this forum..... and allowing me to sort out these crazy emotions.

~Tracey

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited November 2016

Hi everyone and welcome to those new to the thread, the first weeks/months after initial diagnosis are always full of anxiety but with time and prayer comes calm.

I was finally able to talk to the nurse and she told me the doctor agreed to lower the dose on the Xeloda and sent a new prescription to the pharmacy to deal with the mouth sores. Also thank you all for your prayers the pain has gone down sufficiently that I was able to do my PT exercise this morning.

In more good news I found out that the cancer institute that my oncology clinic in Orlando belongs to has 4 clinics in the Naples area so switching my care over there will be simple. I also researched public transportation for handicapped people which I rely in to go to my appointments is also available in Naples and since I'm already certified in Orlando I can use the service in Naples 20 times while they process my application over there .

I would like to request prayer for God to guide my daughter as we search for a house to live in in Naples whether is for rent or possibly even buy one in the area.

Sorry to take so much attention but this thread gives me hope and feel the prayers are reaching heaven and the blessings are coming down.

Love in Christ,

Aurora

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Aurora, that is wonderful how God is working things out for you and your family. I do hope that the lower dose of Xeloda will help and this other med to help the mouth sores. What a blessing that they have an cancer clinic in the Naples area associated with the one you go to. I will be praying that your daughter can find just the perfect house for your family whether it be a rental or she can buy. Don't ever feel like you can't post a request on here. That is what we are here for.

Tracey, no wonder you are anxious with a twelve hour surgery and it is your first. I have had many surgeries but I remember my very first one and I was a basket case because I had no idea what to expect and it was a very simple one at that. That was many years ago. I am glad you have family that will be able to help out.

I live alone and God worked out all the details when I had my cancer surgery. I had no family that could come up but God allowed me to have so much support with my community of friends and former coworkers and retiree friends. I realize that your surgery is going to be way more than I had but God will work it out for you I have no doubt.

Joanne, hopefully someone will weigh in on your question. I had my first senior flu shot this year and didn't notice any reactions and you know I am very sensitive too. Hopefully with time you will be able to find out if it is your cholesterol meds or maybe just a case of having a virus.

Have a good evening dear ladies and I pray that those who are in pain and having SE and fatigue and discomfort will have some relief.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited November 2016

Tracey, it is so hard to have surgery posponed. God spoke to me before one of my surgeries I was starting to obsess over. He said "Jean, how many times do you want to go though this surgery?" Of course He meant in my head as I was picturing and imagining all kinds of things. Of course you're scared I would be concerned if you weren't. Many here will be praying for you to it and through it. Enjoy each day as it comes and don't be robbed of its beauty. God is good.

Tonight I am so grateful for the powerful intercessory prayer meeting at my church last night. The words "second chance" came up a number of times as we were praying for our nation. What a privilege to be allowed to be involved in what God is doing. I am so blessed. Love, Jean

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited November 2016

Welcome to all the new ladies here. This thread has been a wonderful comfort and resource for me when I am feeling low and I pray it will be for all of you also.

Nancy, thank you for your earlier post about those of us who are stage 4. Twentyfive years ago when I first had breast cancer, I was scared as is everyone but I never really felt that it was the end for me. I believe it was and is my faith in God that keeps me going even now when I have so many fears. It's also all the prayers from so many here. You mentioned that you know there are many who pray but don't post often and I feel I am one of those. Sometimes it's fatigue But often it's just too overwhelming.

Please know I am most grateful for everyone's prayers and I am also praying for all of you.

Faith (in the future)

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Ladies I will post later but I wanted you to remember to pray for Ellen today as she is having her other hip replacement today. I will be praying for you today as I swim laps and I have already been praying for the expressed needs. Thank you Faith, Jean and Joanne for your posts and will respond later.

Love,

Nancy

• capinva
    capinva Member Posts: 53
    edited November 2016

Good evening everyone,

I saw the surgeon from my gall bladder surgery yesterday and all is good. Thank you so much for your prayers. I see the onco tomorrow and now I have a pain in my sternum. Praying that the ascites is not building back up.

Sorry I don't remember all the names and needs but I do pray and ask Jesus to be with all of you. Only He really knows what needs we each have.

Have a good evening

God Bless each and everyone.

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Charlotte, I am glad things are going well post gallbladder surgery. Praying your ascities is not back.

Faith and Joanne and anyone else who may feel fatigued and/or overwhelmed. I think we have all been there and understand what that is like. I know I certainly understand when you are not able to post and appreciate your prayers whether they be individual or collective and whether you are able to post or not.

Joanne, I am praying that this spot will be nothing serious and you can start to feel better in all ways.

We pray that Ellen is resting comfortably tonight after her hip replacement surgery today and pray that Patty is starting to feel better after her bilateral mastectomy.

Have a great night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited November 2016

Jo - - I had my flu shot during a chemo cycle, and I was fine. Hope your throat gets better. There are some cold viruses floating around out there, so be careful.

L

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2016

just wanted all of you to know that the surgery went well. I got to my room about 3pm EDT and still with no pain 12 hours after surgery. Due to some additional meds I wasn't nauseous or sick this time. Blessings to all who are praying for me. Physical fitness in the morning!!

Clyde and I have already found an opportunity to witness.One of my nurses lost everything in Hurricane Matthew..including 2 pets. She is currently living with one of her sons, a 90 minute commute from here. She is exhausted and getting very little help from FEMA. Please part for God's mercy and help. Her name is Linda.

Beginning to see that my writing is not the best. Thank you for your prayers....Praying for you as well...Ellen

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Wow, Ellen. You are doing awesome! I didn't think we would hear from you tonight. Praising God for answered prayers.

Lord, we ask that you would help Linda navigate the waters when it comes to dealing with FEMA. We asked that you could intervene for her and help her in this awful situation she has found herself in. We pray strength into this lady and pray that you will give her the courage and perseverance and patience to go through this tough time. We ask you to work behind the scenes of the bureaucracy in her behalf. Thank you Lord. Maybe this will be her divine apt meeting Ellen and Clyde and coming to know you Lord in a personal way. In Jesus name we pray. Amen

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

In my devotional today.

Philippians 4:6-7 New International Version (NIV)

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

• auroaya
    edited November 2016

Amen

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2016

I am so grateful for no cancer found in my rectum after the sigmoid test today. I was a bit concerned since the 2 bleeding episodes last week. Ellen I am so glad to hear your hip surgery went well. Will continue to pray as you go through healing and rehab. Love , Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

That's great news Jean. I thought I could hear a big sigh of relief!!

• Lita57
    edited November 2016

I love Philippians!

Lita

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2016

Good evening ladies,

Just wanted you to know that I am back at home and resting comfortably. The surgery went well, and it appears that therapy will start next week. Thanks for your prayers...compared to some of you, this surgery and recover is not a big deal. The prayers gave me such piece of mind.!

Praying for all of you daily.

Love, Ellen

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2016

Wow Ellen....home already! Isn't God amazing. Prayers going up for therapy to go well. Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Ellen, you are doing GREAT! I am so glad you are home and we will continue to pray for your rehab and therapy. Thanks for letting us know how you are doing.

Lita, I am with you on that too.

This banner is for all the answered prayers that we have experienced on this thread and for the upcoming Thanksgiving Day coming soon.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Ladies please pray for Joanne. Her family has been through so much stress and still having this court case hanging over her grand daughter's head regarding custody of her children. She has been battling flu like symptoms and can hardly talk today. On top of all that their washroom in their basement flooded and they could not flush their toilets. They got some guys to pump out the water after waiting for hours. Then when they flushed the toilet it flooded again so the guys left saying they did not have the proper tools to fix the job. I know Joanne is at the end of her rope and I hope she doesn't mind me asking for prayer for her. She doesn't usually ask for prayer much but this has been a really tough time for her and her family with enormous stress regarding the welfare of their great grand children. I know she would appreciate your prayers.

I will be leaving on Monday to go downstate and stay with my mom for a week and I will post when I am able. Have a restful night dear ladies.

Love

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2016

Praying for Jo.

• auroaya
    edited November 2016

Prayers for Joanne sent up to heaven.

Aurora

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2016

Good morning ladies. Just prayed for all here to have a blessed Sunday. I am grateful for a lovely time with my great-granddaughter yesterday. She has gotten very comfortable with me and goes out with me happily for a walk without my daughter who is back with her husband and things are working out for them. She spoke to John, Valentina's father, and it seems they will be able to work out custody and visitation amicably. God is good. We had a dusting of snow overnight and the woods are beautiful. I feel very content. Praying you all feel a sense of God's peace today. Love , Jean

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    edited November 2016

Hello All,

I have been reading posts and pray for all of you. Ellen, you are a strong woman. Aurora, great on your good news. You will love Naples. Jean, praying for you....and Joann. Nancy, you are amazing.....keeping up with everyone.

I had my 3 month checkup with oncologist and surgeon and all is good. Thank you God!

Getting ready for daughter and family coming for Thanksgiving.....staying for 5 days.

Happy Thanksgiving to All. God is so good......Be Thankful and continue to trust Him.

Lynn

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Jean, I am glad you are having peace about Valentina and glad the custody is being worked out without issues. That is lots of answered prayers.

Joanne, was able to get their water problem fixed for a premium off hours price. She is feeling a bit better. I am sure she appreciates your prayers.

Lynn, you look amazing in your new avatar. I think your life is agreeing with you for sure! Glad you will have family coming for Thanksgiving. I will be leaving for my mom's tomorrow. She had a tree limb blow over into her driveway yesterday and miraculously her car had been moved over to my sister's because there is a prospective buyer. God is good.

Take care dear sisters and I pray that all of you have a wonderful Thanksgiving week.

Love,

Nancy

• Lita57
    edited November 2016

Please join me in prayer for Stephanie. She is a beloved woman on these threads. I just read that she is now unable to rise from her bed, is being cared for on a 24-hr basis, is not talking, and is probably going to transition over in a couple of days, or possibly hours. She has touched so many lives with her writing and support of all women on these threads.

God speed and flights of angels carry you home, dear one.

• Lita57
    edited November 2016

I just read that Stephanie passed away at 9:26 Pacific Time this evening. She taught us so much about facing death with love and acceptance. The warmth and power of her soul will resonate here for years to come.

She is finally home. She is no longer in pain

May the love of God, the peace of Jesus Christ and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with us all as we remember her great contributions to this board.

Blessings to you all,

Lita

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited November 2016

Lita, thank you for letting us know about Stephanie's passing. She has been on my mind and in my prayers everyday. I'm glad she is finally at peace with our dear Lord. She was such a font of information and wisdom and will be greatly missed.

I've been reading and praying for all the needs here as there are so many and it makes me count my own blessings even as I deal with my own cancer and the mostly minor issues compared to others here.

Hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving. Nancy, enjoy your week at your mothers and prayers that you can get her affairs settled.

Hugs, Faith (in the future)