thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,875
    edited November 2016

Lita and Faith, I am sorry to hear about Stepahie's passing. I didn't know her but she was obviously a source of inspiration to many ladies. I remember when I joined this thread Sue who was a pastor passed away and I had known her only three months but in that short time her life made such an impact on me. I pray for comfort for Stephanie's family and friends and her BCO family.

I made it to my mom's but traffic was only going 15 mph on a three lane highway for about half hour. There was a terrible truck accident and it didn't look good. I am thankful that I made it safe and sound.

It is always nice to spend the holidays with family and something I don't take for granted anymore like I used to when I was younger. I will get to meet my mom's new caregiver on Wednesday. I am praying that she works out well. We loved the one who left and will miss her.

I will write when I can and I pray that we can all find many reasons to be thankful this week and always.

Love

Nancy

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited November 2016

So thankful Ellen is doing so well - answered prayer - as well as Lynn's good report. Thankful for Jean's peace and contentment and that Joann's situation is better now. Nancy, have a blessed time with your mom. Lord, we lift up Stephanie to You and pray You would take her Home gently in Your arms, where there will be no more suffering or tears. Comfort her family and grant them peace knowing she fought the good fight and is whole and full of joy in Your presence.

Had to miss an early Thanksgiving with our son's family here as I have the flu and may miss the real Thanksgiving Thursday it seems. When you have no energy in the first place and get this stuff it knocks you for a loop! The bad sinus & gland pain are much better & fevers less so I am hopefully on the mend now. Please pray James doesn't get this as it's be pretty hard for me to be a good nurse for him right now (I slept 4 hours yesterday) & I don't want him to have to go through this. I'm SO thankful his fevers have not returned since the last bout and am thankful that you all prayed for him. We have 2 old cars - a '95 and a '99 and the '95 just died. The '99 has a terminal problem in the rear and now it has to bear the 3 hour each way trips for medical care. Please pray that like the Israelites' sandals this old car will will hold up as there is no money to fix or replace it. Our Father set the stars in the sky and knows them by name, so making a car last is not a big deal for Him.

May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. No matter what our situation right now we will lift up our gratitude and praise to the One who is worthy.

Blessings,

Adrienne

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited November 2016

Prayers of gratitude that Stephanie is home. Continued prayers for my granddaughter Alexia's safety and return. Also for our nation. We are on our way down to the city to see my hubby's neurologist and get test results. I'm grateful for my son driving us. The light dusting of snow is beautiful. We had a wonderful time Sunday at the church Senior Saints Banquet. Great to go somewhere other than a doctor's appointment. Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Dear sisters,

We have so much to be thankful for. I know this is not an easy time for so many of you. Ade, I am sorry to hear you have the flu and have already missed a Thanksgiving celebration. I hope you feel better soon and do pray that James does not catch this from you. I am praying your one and only car now holds out with your much needed trips for your medical needs.

I have to share a praise. My mom does not have a garage and her old car was sitting beneath this old maple tree. There was a prospective buyer for the car so my sister took it over to her house on the other part of town. In the mean time in the heavy winds a big limb blew down where the car WOULD HAVE BEEN. We are so thankful it didn't hit her house or the car. Thank you Jesus.

If I don't have a chance to check it tomorrow have a blessed Thanksgiving whether it be with family or sipping some ginger ale and watching a holiday movie on TV if you are under the weather or recovering from surgery.

I am posting a great Thanksgiving Hymn for you. I LOVE this arrangement of this great hymn.

Love,

Nancy

Oops. Sorry, can't seem to delete the second one.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited November 2016

I just wanted to stop by to let you all know that you are one of the things I am thankful for. I hope you all find peace and joy during this holiday season.

Blessings

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited November 2016

Hi everyone, still prying for everyone each time I read a post.

Well, my family and I are confused, after much prayer and requests for prayers from others, it seemed God was willing to let us leave Orlando and move to Naples to what I considered a great opportunity for my daughter's career. It seems I misread the signs because at the beginning my daughter's father said he would help with the moving expenses, he and my daughter went to Naples TWICE to scout for a house to rent, and it wasn't until she was ready to submit an application for one of them that he decided to tell her that the "help" was really a loan ($6000) and was expecting my daughter to pay him back. We can't afford another debt even with the new job, so we've had to drop the matter entirely and my daughter will have to write the nice people who offered her the job and decline it. All three of us (daughter son-in-law and I ) are not sure how to interpret spiritually this change in plans. Fortunately God did not leave us high and dry because the law firm which she has been temp part time has offered full time employment and once she gets her Law Bar license which should be by the end of this month, they'll hire her as an attorney, right now she is a legal assistant.

I am telling you all this because I feel inadequate to answer my daughter's and son-in-law questions and doubts of faith regarding God's will. The reason I feel inadequate is because I myself was never able to learn to make good decisions according to God's will. The whole issue of God's will vs our freedom of choice is confusing to me as a Christian even after years of following Jesus as my savor.

So if any of you have any ideas, suggestions, books to read on the subject I would appreciate the help, and as always please pray for my family. As the oldest one both chronologically and spiritual I feel I should be a guide to this children that God has put under my care but like I said I feel like I am inadequate.

Thank you for listening to me.

Aurora

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Aurora, I found this article which might be helpful. I agree with everything he says. I know this is a subject that many Christians have wrestled with. I hope this helps to shed some light on this subject. I have had to walk though doors when I didn't have clear direction but I always knew that God would either close the door or open it. If I stay close to God I know He will not allow me to stray. The Bible says your word is a lamp unto my feet. Seek God always and stay as close to Him throughout the day as you can. Stay immersed in His word and He will not fail you. One of the points in this article which I think is key is that you must be open to God's will even if it is not your will and your plans. I think that contentment comes when your desires align so closely to God's will that your desires are His desires for your life.

God bless you dear sister. I have had God close a door that I was sure was going to open and as I look back at how it all worked out I would have been very unhappy if he would have allowed me to go through that one door. He had something much better in mind for me. I have to believe that is the case for your daughter as well.

Love

Nancy

http://www.biblestudytools.com/blogs/chris-russell...

• auroaya
    edited November 2016

Thank you Nancy I'll share these keys with my daughter. One aspect in my walk with God that has been failing is church attendance since I depend on my daughter to drive me if she doesn't feel like going I don't get to go. I need to pray about that.

Auror

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2016

Today I am very grateful for everyone of you on this thread. You've been a support and a blessing to me through all of my breast cancer treatment and beyond. We had a wonderful visit yesterday with my husband's neurologist who gave us the great news that his disease is in remission. May our good Lord God be praised. Thank you Jesus. I wish every one of you here a blessed Thanksgiving. Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Thank you Mini.

Jean that is great news about hubby.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• ARCats
    ARCats Member Posts: 105
    edited November 2016

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. No matter what we are going through God is faithful and deserves our thanks and praise.

God Bless

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited November 2016

Aurora, does your church have an active board of Deacons? I used to be a deacon at my church b4 cancer, and the deacons would provide rides to parishioners who were sick or elderly and couldn't drive. We'd provide rides to Dr appointments too.

Blessings to you all for Thanksgiving.

Lita

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Today I am thankful for the snake that tried to crawl up the bathtub drain as I was getting ready to take a bath at my mom's house. It showed me that I am alive and still capable of a blood curdling scream even at my age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay tuned for Part 2 in the snake saga.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

I am glad I amused you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

The part 2 may be one of these scenarios

or

or

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited November 2016

Nancy, thanks for the laugh. Happy Belated Thanksgiving everyone!

Praying for all your needs.

Hugs, Faith (in the future)

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited November 2016

Blessings to everyone surviving T'day. I had a decent two days. Cooked my Italian family's lasagna yesterday and turkey thighs & legs with homemade cranberry sauce today. Back and hip held up pretty well, and Mr. Cancer didn't invade my thoughts too much. Went for a nice long walk with my rescue Bulldog, Sofia, and DH. Haven't done that in over seven months (cancer has invaded the bone marrow of my right hip and given me five compression fractures in my spine, so I have to be very careful walking or doing anything for that matter), and it was nice to do something semi "normal" for a change.

Sofia loved being out and about for a change.

Please pray for all the other St IV ladies who are having a really tough time with nausea/vomiting and Mr. D this week. What an awful way to spend the "foodie" holiday! No Black Friday shopping for us; we wanted to spend time together as a family. I am really happy that TJ Maxx and the Home Store put out their commercials saying they would NOT be open on Thanksgiving. It's all getting too darn commercial. When I was a kid, no one went shopping on Friday...we just stayed home, watched football and ate leftovers!

Blessings to you all,

Lita

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2016

Lita, how wonderful. Considering the challenges you are dealing with, doing all you did over the holiday was amazing. I'm glad you had some "normal" time. Nancy, your snake story was too funny. I once found one in my washing machine! Today I'm grateful my bleeding issue wasn't a return of cancer, my hubby is in remission and Thanksgiving with the family was a joy. Yesterday I was pretty much a slug. Did very little except gorge on leftovers! Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Dear ladies of faith,

So glad to hear from all of you and for some that we haven't heard from for a while.

Lita, I am so glad you were able to get out for a walk. Love your pic with you and Sofia. I am glad you were able to do all that cooking and have some good days. That is surely a blessing.

Faith, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving and glad I could give you a laugh.

Ellen, praying for you as you have your PT and praying a for a good recovery.

Patty, I sure hope you are doing well in your recovery after your surgery.

Charlotte, hope you are doing well from your surgery.

Jean, so glad you are to a place of rest and a place where you can see the blessings around you.

Aurora, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving with your family.

Arcats, hope you are doing well and good to hear from you.

Mini, hope you had a good Thanksgiving.

Joanne, hope you are feeling better each day.

I hope all of you dear ladies have a wonderful weekend and I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2016

Still praying for the salvation and safe return of my granddaughter Alexia and for salvation for my great granddaughter's father John. I took my sweet great granddaughter Valentina out today and we spent time exploring the toy aisle in a local store. We had such fun together and I am grateful she is willing to go with me and give my daughter and son in law a break. What a gift. Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Since it is officially the start of the Christmas season I thought in saying goodbye to fall I will post some of my favorite photos I have taken the last few weeks. Enjoy.

imageimage

• faith-840
    edited November 2016

Lita, I'm so impressed that you were able to do all you did for Thanksgiving, just hearing about it wears me out. You look wonderful!

Nancy, I had a good Thanksgiving with half of our kids and grandkids, the other half live too far away. Thanks for asking. Your pictures are beautiful!! Safe travels back home.

Jean, still praying for your family and your granddaughter's return.

Joanne, praying you feel better soon. I've never heard of such a terrible reaction to a flu shot. I've only had to deal with a nasty bruise that is taking forever to go away.

Keeping everyone here in my constant prayers.

Hugs, Faith (in the future

• auroaya
    edited November 2016

Reading all the posts seems that everyone had something to be thankful for. Nancy your pictures are excellent they have professional quality seriously! We had the traditional turkey dinner Thursday and today my daughter made empanadas with the leftovers. Things have been a bit crazy because my daughter has two job offers one here in Orlando and the other in Naples Florida. No sooner we reach a decision and something happens. First we had no money for moving, the employer in Naples agreed to pay moving expenses but only if my daughter became accepted by the law bar association before November 30th. No sooner we had resolved to stay in Orlando when my son in law went to get the mail and my daughter's acceptance to the bar was there. Now we need another miracle, we need a second car because in Naples we would be living outside town and only one vehicle wouldn't be enough. So my daughter applied for financing of a second car and we will know Monday if the bank approved the credit. I know some of you or perhaps all of you have been praying for my family and I'm grateful for that. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Aurora

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Good morning dear ladies,

Thank you for your nice comments on my pictures. They do mean a lot to me.

Jean, continued prayers for Alexia.

Ade, how are you feeling now? Praying you are doing much better.

Tracey, how was your Thanksgiving. I hope you had some pleasant distractions as I know you have been anxious about your upcoming surgery.

Lynn, praying your few days at home with family was a great blessing.

Faith, I am glad you got to see some of your children over the Thanksgiving holiday. How are you feeling? Did you get some insurance things resolved. I am still trying to figure if my night meds are truly a Tier 3. My phone calls have only gone to voice mail.

Joanne, praying you can finally get rid of all of this sickness and start to feel much better.

Aurora, it sure does sound like God is opening those doors we have talked about before. Can't wait to see how things work out for you and continued prayers for provision and direction.

Have a great day dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    edited November 2016

Hello everyone, I'm still praying for all your needs and am grateful to hear that some prayers are being answered. God does work in His own time.

Nancy, I'm feeling ok, still the normal fatigue but no worse. I think I've gotten the insurance thing worked out. After many phone calls, it seems my original ins. Co. Is still going to cover my blood pressure med. wonder ifthey had lots of calls complaining or if as my Dr. said, because it will be generic next year? The games they play! It's hard to believe you can't get an easy answer to which tier your meds are in. My present ins will probably be a little more expensive than switching but they always answer the phone and have been reliable so far. What's the saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ? Good luck with your night meds. Sleep is so important.

God's blessing to all of you!

Hugs, Faith (in the future )

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited November 2016

Happy Belated Thanksgiving everyone!

Praying for all your needs.

Nancy, thank you for the laugh this evening. I'm hedging my bet on scenario #3.

Have a blessed week all.

Love across the miles.

Angie

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Good evening dear sisters,

I made it back home safely. Driving in the dark with rain is not my most favorite thing to do but I am thankful there were no incidents.

I do have a prayer request. My mom has been having some hip pain and it really got worse yesterday. My sister is dealing with some medical things as well and she will have to make an apt for my mom to get in and see her doctor. I will be there for her annual physical in Jan, but she can't wait that long with this hip.

I will be having another thyroid ultrasound this week and we will revisit this issue of whether it needs to come out or not.

Faith, I am glad you have your insurance decisions made and hopefully you won't have to pay too much more. Continued prayers for your fatigue. I think my inability to get through to my new insurance is because I am calling the number for enrollment questions and the State's deadline is already past and I am sure they were inundated with a gazillion calls. I doubt if that will be the same number once I actually start the ins. in Jan. I hope so anyway. I was able to quickly get a 90 day supply of my night meds with my present insurance so I will have plenty to start the year.

Angie, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving. I imagine this is a very busy time for you both at work and in your ministry. I know there is a possibility that their may be some snake lovers here so I may not choose to reveal which scenario actually happened. I love animals but snakes...............NO!

Have a good evening everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

I was just about to shut down my computer and got an email from Joanne. She has had a real nightmare this weekend with her teeth. I won't go into all the details but she has felt awful for a few weeks, Long story short after having xrays of her teeth and nothing showing up she went to a specialist. Three root canals later she had obvious infection. She said after that stuff was cleaned out her ear ache and headache went away. Pray that she can heal from this and start to feel much much better. She does not tolerate antibiotics well at all so pray that she will not need to take them.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    edited November 2016

I'm grateful for a pretty good night's sleep. Still lots of hip, knee and joint pain and stiffness. I am considering the possibility of another hip replacement. Still no word from our granddaughter. Ellen, hope your recovery is going well. Nancy, glad you are home safely. Praying for Jo and her family needs. Prayers going up for all. Love, Jean

• ARCats
    ARCats Member Posts: 105
    edited November 2016

Please know that I have been praying for you ladies. I claim strength, wisdom and peace for you and your families. Only God knows what we're going through. May the Lord guide you and shine his grace upon you, and may he answer your petitions according to His perfect will.

With all my love. God Bless

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2016

Dear ladies of faith,

I read this in my devotional today. I know many of us are going through challenges and this verse was so refreshing to read and think on.

Arcats, good to hear from you. Praying for your needs.

Jean, praying for your pain issues. I am having those as well and am concerned.

Joanne, praying that you will rest comfortably today and not have pain in your mouth from all the work you had done. Praying this will solve the sickness you have had for weeks.

My mom is having an xray today so I was pleased to hear that. I have not been able to email my sister as her service shut down and she didn't know the letters to upgrade were for real. UGH!! Getting communication through her daughter.

Love,

Nancy

Isaiah 58:11New International Version (NIV)

11 The Lord will guide you always;
    he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
    and will strengthen your frame.
    You will be like a well-watered garden,
    like a spring whose waters never fail.