thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited September 2017

Lita, bald is beautiful certainly applies to you. Gorgeous. Arroyo, I am so glad your family is safe. Ade, praying for you and all of your trials. Also praying that everyone here has all of their needs met by our Good Shepherd today. Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,874
    edited September 2017

Chris, remember that the enemy is seeking to steal, kill and destroy and it is our mind and thoughts that are the easiest targets for him. Claim every promise you can think of to fight off those negative thoughts. Put on that armor of God (Eph 6:10-18) and fight with all of your might. I am praying for you dear sister.

Jean, I am praying for you as well.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2017

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited September 2017

Met with palliative care doctor this afternoon. Lots of options out there for pain control. I have learned that I have basically been UNDER medicatingl

Will definitely try the gabapentine for the back nerve pain (and the fact that it knocks you out doesn't hurt either...will help me sleep).

• ladyb1234
    ladyb1234 Member Posts: 1,239
    edited September 2017

Lita, the new look is wonderful on you. I love the color of the lipstick 😀. Glad you are receiving better pain control meds! As always you know I am praying for you.

Prayers to you all for and blessings.

Love across the miles,

angie

• Lita57
    edited September 2017

Prayers for a member of our church choir. Her husband is facing either a stent or by-pass surgery for a major cardiac blockage. They are a very sweet couple and have been a blessing to our church.

It just goes to show....you never know. You could be cruising along thinking everything is fine, and then your heart takes a dive on you.

Blessings for this warm, autumn day.

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2017

Ephesians 3:16-19New International Version (NIV)

16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Lita, praying that you will have better pain control with your newer options and that you can sleep better. Praying for the man in your church needing a stent or bypass. Yes, we can only count on the present moment for sure. We never know what the future will hold.

Susie, it is great to hear from you. How are you doing and how is your family doing coping with their great loss?

Angie, good to hear from you. How are you doing?

Teka, how are you doing? We are having lovely weather here after a long record breaking heat wave.

Have a great day dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited September 2017

Lita, praying the new pain relief efforts work wonders for you. Our church ladies are praying for you!

Nancy, how are things with your mother's situation? Praying the Lord will make straight that path for you. The banners are beautiful and being reminded of how much the Lord loves us helps us face each new day and situation.

Susie, we're thankful you felt the Lord comfort you in such a terrible time. May His love continue to enfold you.

Jean, Chris, Angie, Hershey, Joanne & all - praying for each of you to feel God's loving touch upon your lives and know His comfort and goodness. May He open our eyes to His blessings no matter how bad we feel or what's happening in our lives, and that in all things we may give Him the glory and praise.

My tooth & aching jaw are fixed, (Praising the Lord!). James is plugging away in cardiac rehab (but they still have to cut his exercises short as his BP gets too high) ~ and we still have heard nothing as to if our 2 grandchildren are alright in Mexico.

Hugs to you all,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited September 2017

Psalm 34:4-7New International Version (NIV)

4 I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears.
    5 Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame.
    6 This poor man called, and the Lord heard him;
    he saved him out of all his troubles.
    7 The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
    and he delivers them.

Ade, I am glad you got your tooth and jaw fixed. I continue to pray for you and James. That must be horrible not hearing anything from your family in Mexico. Praying that will be able to contact you and praying they are all fine. Such a horrible disaster they have all suffered down there. Thank you for your encouragement. I do spend quite a long time on the banners and trying to find the one I think the Lord wants for that day.

The search continues on the phone and still fact finding into facilities for my mom. My sister has visited one place and they had one opening and by the time my sister visited the place it was already taken. My mom is on a waiting list there. Trying to reach some of the directors has been pretty much a nightmare. Please pray that my mom will take the news well. I have impressed on my sister that she needs to let my mom know what is going on. I don't think that is going to happen. I will probably be there next Friday for a visit and we will have to let her know what is going on. I hope to visit places when there. Most require an apt so that makes it a bit trickier since I don't know plans yet for her 92 birthday that is coming on Oct. 12. Thanks for asking. It has been a tough time for me accepting that she needs to go into a facility but I am getting better accepting it.

My swimming has been a life saver for me. It just helps everything regarding stress and ability to cope with things. I spend much of that time praying for all of you.

Take care dear sisters. We are now having glorious weather after a week long record breaking heat wave.

Love,

Nancy

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784
    edited September 2017

Ade I have a friend in Mexico who is going to be in Mexico City next week do you want me to ask her if she would be willing to do some searching for your grandchildren? Something simple like if you give me their local phone numbers maybe the communication is easier locally. She’s leaving Wednesday next week. Let me know. In the meantime I’m praying for them as well as everyone involved in that disaster.

Aurora

• ade
    edited September 2017

Aurora it is a very difficult situation. The mother is mentally unstable and took the children back to Mexico where she's from, and abandoned our son and the marriage. He has legal custody and there is a warrant in the USA for her arrest so she will never bring them up here (a heartache). He can't go there as his life would be in danger. Our son has their phone number and sometimes (prior to the earthquake) she would let him talk to the children - mostly not. She may be avoiding him on purpose to be cruel, communications may be down, they may have had to relocate, and I prefer not to think of the worst. So your prayers for their welfare are certainly appreciated. I truly appreciate the kind offer though. Bless you!

Nancy there were no openings for my mom either - and the Lord just made one for us! At first she was withdrawn and sulked (only for a couple of days) but we quickly moved her favorite things in and decorated her little one room 'apartment' with full medical care and she came out of it. They let us move in her own furniture (bed & chair) and decorate the walls. The staff there was mostly Christian women and eve when she wasn't nice they were great to her. When she passed on one of the aids asked my sis & I if she could have the privilege of bathing her before the funeral home came to get her and the woman wept as she ever so gently bathed our mom. Having moved her there we were assured she had round the clock supervision and care and it gave us real peace that she was safe. I hope this is helpful for you. I know it's a hard decision for you but God will make a way. Love you.

Ade

• auroaya
    edited September 2017

I’m sorry to hear about the situation with your grandchildren, you can count on my prayers for them.

Aurora

• Lita57
    edited October 2017

Teka, it was a very small reunion, but it was nice to get away.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2017

Ade, what a sad and awful situation with your grandchildren in Mexico. I pray that you will hear soon that they are okay. Thanks for the encouragement. I will be going down to see my mom later this week and stay for 8 or 9 days. I hope to get to visit some facilities that I have talked to at that time.

Teka, we are in a drought and the arborists are warning of long term damage if we don't start watering now. We have many leaves that have prematurely fallen. Thank you. I remember one of my mom's sisters who told my mom many years ago she was lucky to have daughters. My aunt had only sons.........you get the drift. I have a feeling I will be the chosen one (by default) to tell my mom of her need to move and I will certainly not be one of her favorite people after that news.

Lita, have you started on your new pain meds? If so has is that going?

I had a scary time yesterday. I got lost in the woods. Long story................ Not only that but I found myself in what I would call a briar patch. It was NOT fun. I had tiny little burrs stuck all over my clothes by the time I made my way out. That was something I hope never happens again. Yes, all for the sake of my photography. I know..........I can see you all rolling your eyes from here. LOL

Have a good day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited October 2017

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2017

Amen Ade.

In the light of another senseless tragedy I feel this verse is appropriate. Our prayers go out to all the victims of this tragedy who are still alive and our prayers of comfort go out to the family and friends of so many killed in Las Vegas yesterday.

2 Chronicles 7:14King James Version (KJV)

14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,332
    edited October 2017

During my devotions this morning, this song came over my Pandora. It was healing for me in light of all of this destruction, pain, and death. I know that the Creator of the universe is the ruler of all and He will reign forever. I pray our loved ones will wake up in time and allow Him to be their ruler.

This is my Father's world;
    Oh, let me ne'er forget
    That though the wrong seems oft so strong,
    God is the ruler yet.
    This is my Father's world,
    The battle is not done:
    Jesus who died shall be satisfied,
    And earth and Heav'n be one.

• Lita57
    edited October 2017

I love that song!

In the chemo suite...started Taxol this morning. Feel blessed. Been off chemo for 6 wks. Tumors running amok. They need to die now.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2017

Thanks Joanne for sharing that powerful prayer.

Chris, that is a great hymn with power lyrics that speak to our world today.

Lita, praying for you always.

Dear sisters, things are so complicated at my mom's right now. The caregiver found a snake in my mom; basement. For those of you who have been around for a while know this is not the first time this has happened. My sister is having some minor leg surgery today so she can't deal with it today. She just found out by text last night about this snake.

I will be at my mom's on Friday late so I may be the chosen one. No exterminators in her town deal with snakes anymore so as we say..............we are up a creek without a paddle. Asking for God's wisdom and intervention in this.

Love,

Nancy

• auroaya
    edited October 2017

Nancy I just had a prayer for you your mom and your sister. May you find a solution to all these right now and may God touch your lom’s Heart so she may be agreeable to moving to a home because things like a snake in her basement by herself is not a liveable situation.

Will keep you in my prayers.

Aurora

• ade
    edited October 2017

LITA - YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!

Nancy, perhaps the Lord will USE that reptile to get your mom motivated onto the relocation bandwagon. Trust the Lord to work out all the details (even ones you haven't anticipated!). May He grant you peace and your mom a willing spirit.

THIS IS MY FATHER'S WORLD ~ What a perfect song for now! Thank you!

I'm praying for all of you - and the Vegas victims.

With love -

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2017

Thanks Aurora for your prayers. How are you doing?

Ade, I talked to my mom last night and the caregiver told her about the snake. That was news to me as I didn't think she knew. My mom has killed many snakes in her lifetime but they have been in the yard. She did have one that crawled out from under the sofa many years ago. She got that one too.

She is really more afraid of them now than she used to be but she will probably forget there is one in the basement. She can't go downstairs anymore with her walker so I think it is like another universe to her now. Out of sight our of mind. Which in this case is a good thing.

This verse was in my devotional today and I think it is a good one for all of us no matter what our situation or what is going on in the world now.

I will check in as much as I can since I am leaving tomorrow for my mom's and will be down there for 9 days.

Love,

Nancy

Habakkuk 3:17-19New International Version (NIV)

17 Though the fig tree does not bud
    and there are no grapes on the vines,
    though the olive crop fails
    and the fields produce no food,
    though there are no sheep in the pen
    and no cattle in the stalls,
    18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord,
    I will be joyful in God my Savior.

19 The Sovereign Lord is my strength;
    he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
    he enables me to tread on the heights.

• Lita57
    edited October 2017

I LOVE begonias....one of my absolute favorite flowers Smile.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2017

Hi Ladies,

I made it to my mom's with no problem. Got to see the Cubs win their first play off game. YEAH.

Teka, love your pics. That begonia is gorgeous. I have some yellow ones still blooming but have never seen one with two colors. Beautiful.

My mom is doing well. I am not sure when my sister and I will have the dreaded talk with her but since I want to visit three facilities while here she will need to know some reason I am gone so much.

As I was driving by many cornfields that have recently been harvested it is a reminder of how blessed we are. As the fall colors are changing into glorious oranges, yellows and reds it is a time to be thankful for all that God provides for us daily.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• NeverForsaken
    NeverForsaken Member Posts: 157
    edited October 2017

Praying for our world. This is not always easy to do as there is so much going on at the same time. My heart goes out to all those who are hurting especially at the hands of violence!

I know I'm not on here too much, and many of you may not even remember me at all..but I would like you to please pray for me if you can.

I have been complaining to my doctors about pain in my right forearm for nearly a year now. I was told it was tendenitis.

When I did not get improvement over time, I asked for an x-ray. It showed nothing abnormal.
    My primary doctor did not investigate further. (He seems too busy these days).

A few weeks ago I started experiencing pain in my right shoulder blade radiating down into that forearm again.

I went to my surgeon.
    I went alone..(I did not expect anything but an ultrasound that day.)

He removed a small tumor.
    it was sitting right on the nerve that caused the forearm pain all these months.

I must wait now for the results from pathology.
    I should know by Wednsday.

The pain in my arm is gone now..so I am hoping this tumor was benign and this was God's way of taking care of the pain for me..but it all brings back that time when I was first diagnosed! The waiting for a phone call..

Thank you in advance, ladies..I know this is a place to come where others know exactly how I feel..I hope to be more active on here too now that I have good internet and a decent computer once again, as I am not very good with cell phones.

Loopy

Blessings & Love~ Lisa

• intolight
    edited October 2017

Lisa, I am praying God grants you peace while you wait and a good report. I had my initial biopsy while alone when I thought I was just going in for an ultrasound. I know how alone and fearful this can feel.

Chris

• NeverForsaken
    NeverForsaken Member Posts: 157
    edited October 2017

Thank you for your prayers, Chris!

It is amazing that God can give us such a peace as well as bring others into our life who have been through the same.

My husband always goes to surgeon and onco appointments with me, but his work schedule is super busy right now so I went alone. My daughter and her husband asked if they should go, but it was so early in the morning and I figured there was no reason to bother anyone until I knew more. I'm glad the numbness did not wear off until I got home (it's a fifty mile trip one way)!

It did not really "hit" me until the next day though..I'm glad I was not alone that day.

• Lita57
    edited October 2017

Please pray for Northern California. There are many fires (at least six, at last count) in the Napa, Sonoma, Santa Rosa, and surrounding areas burning out of control. Hundreds and hundreds of homes have completely burned to the ground. Wineries have burned, hotels have burned, businesses have burned. The Hilton in Santa Rosa off Hwy 101 is burning as I write this while watching the news coverage. Total devastation.

Police suspect an arsonist. We're having high winds and lots of wind shifts. You can smell the smoke in the air...we're only 60 miles away. One of my DH's high school friends lost her house this morning.

Absolutely heart breaking. Some people were only able to get out with their pets and nothing else.

Pray for the fire fighters, too.

Thank you.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2017

Welcome Lisa. I looked back and I came onto this forum after you had initially posted. I am usually good at remembering names but I don't think you may have posted much when I started. Unfortunately several of the women during the time you posted are no longer with us but in the hands of Jesus.

I am glad you have felt comfortable to come back and share. We will sure pray that this tumor is benign. I am thankful that you are no longer in pain. It is too bad that when we express concerns sometimes it is dismissed as nothing when it is actually something. I am glad you were persistent and followed up with this. Praying for peace in the wait time.

Chris, how are you doing?

Lita, it is unfathomable to me that people actually start fires on purpose but we are living in a crazy time with crazy people. I watched a documentary on the fires a few weeks ago as they followed up with some different families. I pray that the families that have lost everything will have the emotional and financial support to rebuild their lives and their homes. Praying that the weather and the wind will cooperate to make this disaster a less devastating event. Praying for the people and their pets that many will come out of this without bodily harm.

It has been a very busy time since coming to my mom's. We had a little family celebration yesterday at her favorite restaurant and then this Thursday we will celebrate on her actual birthday when she will turn 92. My sister and I spent several hours today visiting two facilities. Both of them have waiting lists and required deposits. We put down a deposit on one which looks to be a perfect place but they have a low turnover. So I would appreciate your continued prayers for wisdom and guidance. We have still not talked to my mom about this yet. There never seems to be a good time for this dreaded discussion.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love

Nancy

• intolight
    edited October 2017

Nancy, I am doing ok. Got my flu shot today in preparation for my trip this weekend and thankfully it appears I won't have the months of pain that I had last year from a poorly placed shot. I am travelling from San Diego to New York to visit my son. Then we will fly to St Louis to visit my other son and wonderful wife and their 2 sons, ages 3 and almost 1. I am expecting a marvelous time. I have begun to experience a slight pain in my arm but I am not going to let it control my mind. I am scheduled to see my MO in November once I return anyway. I got a new stove this past weekend because my other one quit and it would cost as much to fix than for a new one. I just wished it had happened before the remodel so we could have had it changed all at the same time. It has been a very expensive couple of months for us. i am praying God moves mountains for you and your mother.

I have attached a picture of my grandsons. They always make me smile!

Here is a picture of my new kitchen...It is small but very efficient.