thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited May 2018

These flags were put in place to remember a special person who served our country in military service. There were over 2000 of them. The first time I saw this display several years ago it was night time and the healing field as it is called was not officially open yet. It was such an emotional impact in the quiet of the night and a few spot lights shining on all of those flags. We are deeply grateful for the sacrifice that all of the men and women gave that we can enjoy freedom in this country. We are so grateful for the freedom we have in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ who gave the ultimate sacrifice so that we can have new life in Him.

Enjoy your Memorial Day dear sisters and remember that the day is more than cook outs and picnics even though those things are great too.

Love,

Nancy

• NeverForsaken
    NeverForsaken Member Posts: 157
    edited May 2018

Jo: I am praying the Cellulitis is healing away..In Jesus' name~Amen! I hope you were able to enjoy your guests and your meal out.

Ade: I'm praying the "thing" under your arm is not cancerous! Also, praying for James ..In Jesus' name ~Amen!

I had a surface reaction in my armpit a year ago..it was from a new (homemade) deodorant..but it got large and painful and scared us a bit. ..And, I thought I was brave when I saved the life of a drowning wood spider that clung to my finger when I was doing dishes last week! Just a couple years ago I would have killed it out of fear..but, I dunno what's going on with me lately! BTW: Wood spiders are not harmless! They bite and when they do it often requires a minor surgical intervention and days of drainage..again, I dunno what's going on with me but this was the second such spider I released back into the wild in just the last few months.

This was my certificate of completion signed by all the sweet staff members at the Radiation Oncology department

My certificate of completion

This is the plate that contained homemade cookies which a new friend whom I met while we waited for our daily radiation surprised me with on my last day there!

This tea set is a gift from an old friend given to me a couple years ago that I filled with fragrant blooms just this morning!

(I wish you could all smell it!)

That is a painting that I did hanging in the background.

I disconnected and moved my computer a few days ago and just got it hooked back up this morning so I have some reading and catching up to do on the posts here..so i will pray for any that I've missed as soon as I can.

Blessings and Love~Lisa

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited May 2018

Lisa, what beautiful pictures! Your painting goes beautifully with the elegant tea set and flowers. I LOVE lilacs! We had two huge bushes in Ohio and I have missed them so much here. Well we just planted 8 bushes across the front of our house and I can hardly wait for them to grow and bloom. They are Texas hardy too. Just so you know - it would NOT - NOT - NOT have offended ME if you had doomed that spider!!! Tarantulas live OUTSIDE and can't get IN the house so that's why that bad boy was spared. If he'd been a REAL spider IN my house his days would have been over! One night I was just dozing off in bed when a spider RAN OVER MY FACE! I brushed it off in a hurry - not realizing I'd sent it to James' side of the bed! I yelled for him to turn the light on and there it was beside him. Well he 'took care of it' but I felt creepy-crawlies for an hour after that and couldn't get back to sleep. UGH! HOW HAPPY WE ALL ARE OVER YOUR TREATMENT'S COMPLETION! May the Lord NOT let the cancer return - EVER!

Nancy, hope you're resting and healing after that trip, and maybe can get back to your swimming and photography again.

This is a blooming Chaste bush in our back yard, native to southwest TX.

Love,

Ade

• NeverForsaken
    edited May 2018

Ade..I love that bush. What an interesting name for it! Does it have a fragrance?

• ade
    edited May 2018

This is what the bush looks like in our yard. (Maggie is on guard chasing away those monster bunnies - it's her job! )

It is also deer hardy - which is a good thing here! Don't know about fragrance - they're out back so I don't wander much out there.

Vitex agnus-castus, also called vitex, chaste tree, chasteberry, Abraham's balm, lilac chaste tree, or monk's pepper, is a native of the Mediterranean region. Scientific name: Vitex agnus-castus Higher classification: Chaste tree

This is the whole plant (I called it a bush but it is classified as a tree).

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

Ade, I have been praying for this place you have. I remember many years ago when I could afford a muscle therapist every week and my insurance covered her I had a swollen lymph node in my armpit. That was long before my bc so I was clueless as to what it was. I know you can have an infection which can cause a swollen lymph node and I am guessing that was the case for me. I am praying that there is an explanation that is nothing serious.

Love your pics of your bush. The spider pic...................well let's just say that I feel the same way about spiders as I do bees. I am scared of both. I have been swimming a couple of times this week and with a few good night's of sleep in a row I am doing much, much better than when I first got home. I did get out with my camera today but about got too hot. I am involved in this forest preserve photography contest again and I needed to get some pics in before the month was over. My mom had a hair apt the day before I left so I had some time to get some hummingbird pics before coming home.

Today I was photographing some wild irises and at one point I just about ended in the water. I had a big bumblebee that decided it wanted to land on these same irises.

Lisa, I love your painting and your tea set with the pretty flowers. Is that white flower Lily of the Valley? I am glad you are finished with your rads and I pray now that you can keep the bc at bay for many, many years to come.

Chris, how are you doing?

Jean, how are you doing?

Teka, good to hear from you.

Hershey, hope you can make that trip to see your family.

Lita, haven't heard from you in quite a while. How are you managing with the SE and your treatment's

Faith, praying your bathroom remodel gets finished and praying that your heart issues can be resolved.

Joanne, praying for this cellulitis to BE GONE and all swelling and bites to disappear. I am glad that the itching is gone.

Here are some pics I have taken the last few days.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited June 2018

Neverforsaken, congrats on completing your radiation. This is a big milestone and worth celebrating.

Nancy, I LOVE the hummingbird picture. It is a winner for sure. I am glad you are doing better and that you got out some and got to take some pics. We sometimes get bees in our elevator and I am frantic until I get out--very afraid of them. I swell up big with a mosquito bite so I suspect I am allergic. It is a slow elevator even for 4 floors.

I am doing ok. Next week my DD goes on her annual service trip for her school and I have the DGD for 4 days. I am praying she will sleep in her own bed while her momma's gone, and that I have enough energy to keep up. She has a birthday the following week and she is so excited to turn 3. I also have my 3-month onc appt during that time. Looking for a sitter so my DH can go with me. I have had a tough weekend after my infusion, but I am doing better now. I never had problems before but I hurt all over for 4 days. Always something!

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited June 2018

Good morning all. Hope everyone has a blessed weekend. I am doing well with my HepC treatment. Almost 1/3 finished. Only side affects are mild headaches and fatigue. I got blood work done yesterday to check my viral load to see if it is working. Results in 1-2 weeks. Love, Jean

• mysunshine48
    mysunshine48 Member Posts: 915
    edited June 2018

Hello all,

Checking in on my Christian online friends and reading your posts. As always, everyone here are in my prayers daily.

Jo, last summer I was bitten on my feet by many red ants. Itched like crazy and got red and swollen and hurt. I had to go to doctor and get 2 antibiotics and some kind of salve. Not fun so I hope you are getting better!

Praise to our good Lord. I am so very thankful that I am healthy again (at least I think so) and raise my arm to the heavens each day in gratitude. Praying the same for all.

Lynn

• NeverForsaken
    edited June 2018

Nancy, that is the best shot of a hummingbird!!!

I have one that comes to greet me each evening at the window. Had one die in my hand last summer though..It was bleeding so it probably hit something when I found it.

Jo..I'm still praying for your skin/bites to heal.

Intolight..I pray that your energy will allow you to have a good visit with your granddaughter and also for a good checkup for you!

Ladies..guess what I did today...

Jeff and I had to go get the oil changed in our truck..Our local S.A.F.E organization was there at the dealership and so I adopted a four year old chihuahua! I was knelt down talking to someone and didn't even notice the little fella until he clamored up to my leg..as soon as I scratched behind his ear he clamored all the way up into my arms and laid his little head in the crook of my arm and relaxed! I needed a snuggle pup so bad..My dog Bud is a sweetheart, but will not snuggle! We are going out of town next week for a few days, so the lady who is fostering him said I can pick him up when we get back.

Here he is:

That's not me in the photo..I can't wait to bring him home next week!

He is four years old and microchipped already so all I have to do is get him registered to my address.

When i mentioned to the lady who is fostering him that I have cancer, she told me that her son who lives in colorado has a PHD for working with cannabis and she has a husky with cancer who she's been using the oil on. She says her huskies' tumor has shrunk a LOT in a pretty short time. She asked me if I wanted to research cannabis oil for myself..I have been thinking about this subject for a few weeks now (for pain) and I've also been really wanting a small lap dog ever since last year when I had to give up my cat (she went to my daughter) because my husband has developed a cat allergy. I can really see how God is at work in all of this coming together today!

• intolight
    edited June 2018

NeverForsaken, what an adorable snuggle pup! I would love to have a dog but I live on the 4th floor and would not do well taking him out during the day. Lots of people in our condo do but I cannot imagine keeping a dog in all day. But I do have a cat who loves to snuggle. In fact, if I don't pet her when she is in my lap, she nips me (gently of course!) Fortunately I also get lots of snuggles from my granddaughter who lives with me. God knows what we need.

• NeverForsaken
    edited June 2018

Intolight..I love our cat, Mia..i got her from the shelter in November 2016..She is the purrfect (yes, I just did that, lol) cat, but we only could keep her for six months before we had to give her to our daughter who lives in a nearby town. My husband, jeff developed an allergy to her..and she loved him most of all. Recently Jeff said how much he missed having her live with us, but I told him since he was on so many prescriptions already I didn't want him to need to take another pill in order to keep her..at least we can visit her sometimes. I think a chihuahua is the next best thing to having a cat, lol! Our last chihuahua lived almost seventeen years, and she was a sweet dog too.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

Chris, praying you have enough energy to keep up with your grand daughter while you will be looking after her. Praying your check up coming up will be a good one. Thanks for your encouragement on my hummer photo. I can't enter that unfortunately in this contest I spoke of because all those pics have to be in their forest preserves. I may submit it to my newspaper though.

Jean, glad you are tolerating your Hep C treatments and praying it will do the intended job.

Lynn, great to hear from you and so glad to hear you are doing well.

Lisa, congrats on your cute little puppy. I have only had cats as an adult but I live on a corner and love to watch all the dog owners go by with their cute dogs. Thanks for you nice comments on my hummer pic. I haven't got my hummer feeder up yet. Trying to do too many things at once after getting home from my Mom's. I will have to post some pics sometime of the hummingbird festival I went to last summer. It was so interesting how they tag them and then try to keep track of them. I get such a kick out of them and I tell everyone it is the cheapest entertainment you will ever get just watching them. I got this picture at a nature center.

I can only imagine how excited you are to get your little dog home to stay. He is a cutie and you obviously made a connection with him right off the bat. You'll have to post some pics after he gets to his new home.

Debbie, I miss seeing your encouraging posts. How are you doing? I continue to pray for you.

Joanne, SO GLAD you found the culprit who has made your life miserable. I hope this helps your doctor in determining what is the best treatment. I sure hope you don't have to go to the hospital. Praying that everything will heal are your arm and legs. BTW the secret to freezing hummingbird action is for me anyway using a tripod and using the fastest shutter speed I can and lots of patience and persistence and practice.

I started on my yard work today and realized my roses were not worth saving............soooooo I decided I just didn't have it in me to plant five new bushes and take out the old ones so I am hiring it done along with a new tree. I still have plenty of grunt work to do in my flower beds. My neighbor gave me his opinion on the sewer line sinking along with the front porch. He doesn't seem to think it is a sewer line issue but just the ground settling. I have a contractor coming next week and he jacks up the existing cement and hopefully that is all that will need to be done. Otherwise I would NOT be having new rose bushes planted. Praying my neighbor is correct in his assessment. He is a realtor and does home inspections too.

We are experiencing some glorious cool weather after some really, really hot days. I used to march my bands in the Memorial Day parade every year and this year they canceled the parade because it was too hot for the bands to march. I don't ever remember that happening in my career here. Strange weather we are having for sure.

Enjoy your weekend dear sisters. You know I am regularly praying for each of you.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited June 2018

Amen

• ade
    edited June 2018

CASTING CROWNS - JUST BE HELD
    Hold it all together

Everybody needs you strong

But life hits you out of nowhere

And barely leaves you holding on

And when you're tired of fighting

Chained by your control

There's freedom in surrender

Lay it down and let it go

CHORUS:

So when you're on your knees and answers seem so far away

You're not alone, stop holding on and just be held

Your worlds not falling apart, its falling into place

I'm on the throne, stop holding on and just be held

Just be held, just be held

If your eyes are on the storm

You'll wonder if I love you still

But if your eyes are on the cross

You'll know I always have and I always will

And not a tear is wasted

In time, you'll understand

I'm painting beauty with the ashes

Your life is in My hands

CHORUS:

Lift your hands, lift your eyes

In the storm is where you'll find Me

And where you are, I'll hold your heart

I'll hold your heart

Come to Me, find your rest

In the arms of the God who wont let go

CHORUS:

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

Ade, Casting Crowns is MY favorite current Christian band. Their songs speak to me in the rough patches in my life. Thanks for posting that. I am getting reading to go to my new gastro doctor in a few minutes and then schedule those fun tests.

I am praying for you as I know this season of life has been very tough for you. When to you see your onc. Praying for peace in the midst of the storm. I'll praise you in the storm...........another favorite of mine from Casting Crowns.

Love,

Nancy

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited June 2018

This has been my theme song since BC:

"Blessings" by Laura Story

We pray for blessings, we pray for peace
    Comfort for family, protection while we sleep
    We pray for healing, for prosperity
    We pray for Your mighty hand to ease our suffering
    And all the while, You hear each spoken need
    Yet love us way too much to give us lesser things

'Cause what if your blessings come through rain drops
    What if Your healing comes through tears
    What if a thousand sleepless nights are what it takes to know You're near
    What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

We pray for wisdom, Your voice to hear
    We cry in anger when we cannot feel You near
    We doubt your goodness, we doubt your love
    As if every promise from Your word is not enough
    And all the while, You hear each desperate plea
    And long that we'd have faith to believe

What if trials of this life are Your mercies in disguise

When friends betray us
    When darkness seems to win
    We know that pain reminds this heart
    That this is not,
    This is not our home
    It's not our home

What if my greatest disappointments or the aching of this life
    Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can't satisfy
    What if trials of this life
    The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
    Are your mercies in disguise

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

I know I have posted this before but I know some of you might need this today. I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me.

Praying for you Joanne and for DH as he goes through his tests. Praying you will get results from the new AB and that DH will get some answers.

Ade, praying for you and James.

GM, I love that song as well. That song was written in a very hard time as Laura's DH was having a medical crisis so it comes from a point that we can all relate to.

Debbie, praying for you.

Teka, praying you are enjoying some nice spring weather in the north country.

Lita, praying for you always.

Lisa and Chris and Faith praying that all of you are doing well. Chris, prayers for strength as you take care of your almost 3yr old granddaughter as her mother is away.

Lord, I pray for all of the dear sisters on this thread. Many are dealing with such storms in their lives and I pray that you would calm their hearts as the storm rages. I know many times you allow those storms to continue to strengthen our faith and develop our faith muscles. Growing is never a pleasant experience but as you prepare our hearts for glory we trust in you to complete that which you have begun in each of us who call ourselves yours. Give each dear sister what she needs this day to deal with all of the challenges, disappointments, fears and anxiety that may overwhelm us. Give us complete trust that you have only good for us even though our human eyes can't see the big picture that you have for us.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited June 2018

AMEN, Nancy! You are ministering to all of us as the Lord speaks to you. Praying your GI tests will be a breeze for you and not a source of anxiety and that simple remedies will be found.

Joanne - praying for answers that bring God's healing for you and that you are well enough for your husband's procedure. He holds you in the palm of His hand.

One week from today for my onc appointment & James' VA appointments in Odessa. Praying for good news and answers.

Lord bless you all,

Ade

She stands watch bravely and diligently to guard the porch against vicious would-be attackers!

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

Ade, thank you. That pick of Maggie makes me smile. I wonder if they are communicating with each other.

This banner sort of reminds me of Carrie Underwood's song Jesus Take the Wheel.

Dear Lord, take the wheel of my life because if I take it I am on a direct path for a collision!

Love,

Nancy

• footprintsangel
    footprintsangel Member Posts: 35,657
    edited June 2018

Amen Thanks Nancy

The Lord has said... I have loved you, O my people,

with everlasting love; with lovingkindness I draw you to Me.

Jeremiah 31:3 TLB

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

• ade
    edited June 2018

AMEN, Sisters! May the Lord bless and heal you and grant you His perfect peace.

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited June 2018

Two more months and I am off to Rwanda for my missions trip. Found out there will be lots of traveling between cities/villages. It looks like it will be one day of vbs and most of the children we will see are under 4th grade level, which means they haven't learned English yet. It changes alot as far as the Americanized VBS - We decided to throw most of the curriculum out - make a little skit to go along with the Daniel and Babylon story, learn a few songs in KInyarwanda that they would be comfortable singing and I still haven't decided which craft to do. The rest of the time there is building trust by talking and visiting. We all get to go to the neighborhoods that our sponsored children live and when it is your sponsored child, you get personal time with them. I am so blessed to be able to share God's love and learn from another culture.

Oh Jo - Cellulitis is not fun... been there - and been praying that the doctors find the correct me for you. - (I think that is one of my big concerns on this trip I'm taking. I do have antibiotics to take with me. )

May the Lord bless you all today - Imagine sitting on my porch swing and taking a moment to thank God for all the blessings He has provided us.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

Beautiful GM. How exciting to meet your sponsored child. It will be a blessing for sure.

I will have to share later the drama going on in my yard yesterday. Off to church now.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited June 2018

Hi all. Made it through four days with my almost 3-year old DGD while her momma was away, but thankful it was not another hour. She did pretty well although she woke up 3 times the last night. After one day break, today was BDay party day. Ran into my aunt and 2 cousins accidentally in the grocery store last night--they drove out from AZ to surprise me at the BDay party but I saw them in the same line I was in so ruined their surprise. But it was so special and actually gave us extra time together. I am exhausted from today's party at the park and then home with unexpected family. But wouldn't have it any other way!

Had my 3-month MO appt during this week and all news is good. We will stay the course as long as I respond so well and my blood remains steady. I praise God for sending me so many blessings this week.

• bandwoman1234
    edited June 2018

Chris, that is great news on your check up. So glad you had some surprise family in and that you made it through the days of watching your grand daughter and made it through the Bday party. Celebrating your great news.

I had a surprise ENT apt today as I have been on a wait list after my primary doctor was concerned about my ear and wanted me to see a specialist. I have some hearing loss due to noise. I don't have anything other than scar tissue on my eardrum so that was good news. I was a band director my whole career so that probably explains the hearing loss. The upsetting thing is I was given a possible very serious diagnosis regarding this chronic bleeding ulcer I have had in my nose since I was a child. I have to see this doctor in six months after using this nose spray and then possible MRI and further testing. I am not even going to say what he said because I don't want to get more upset than I already am.

I will briefly explain my two day drama this past weekend. We had terrible thunderstorms in the night on Friday and Saturday. Saturday morning I noticed a pretty large branch had fallen off a tree on my parkway which is a city tree but on the side of my house. I was outside to plant a hydrangea bush and I heard all of this commotion. I heard a little bird peeping incessantly and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. This is the first thing I noticed. There are two birds there if you look closely.

I still kept hearing this incessant peeping and then I noticed this.(pic below)

The above pic is two female Downy woodpeckers and the male Downy was on the ground scared to death. I picked up the bird and it seemed to be comforted. Long story short my neighbor came over and spotted me on my ladder that can go quite high and I put the little guy back in with the other two. The branch on the ground had a perfect hole where the parents had drilled and their nest was in the tree branch that fell to the ground.

The next day after another bad night of storms I saw one of the birds still in the broken branch when I got home from church. That evening as I was looking out at my kitchen window I saw a baby on the curb almost in the street. I ran outside and picked this little one up. It was one of the females. The other female was on the trunk of the tree. This poor little thing I tried to put on the ground and it didn't like that and crawled up my pant leg. I put it on the trunk near the other female. The little guy I put in the nest the day before was no where to be seen. I am hoping it flew away but I will never know. Today I didn't see the parents or any of the little ones so I am hoping there is a happy ending to their story.

It was a treat holding those baby birds but I sure hate to see this result when storms hit hard.

I would appreciate your prayers. I have just not felt good for a long time and I am concerned. I just feel washed most of the time and it is an effort to do anything.

Take care dear sisters. Keep Joanne and her DH in your prayers.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited June 2018

Please pray that my husband's biopsies come back negative. He had a ln endoscopy yesterday and for my peace. Love, Jean