Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited October 2019

Faith and Nancy, yes I am in Missouri. I don’t struggle here like I do in Colorado. Thank you for remembering! The grand babies are precious and I was able to hold the youngest last night (2 months) and he smiled and “talked” to me like we are dear friends. But I started coughing late last night and my throat is sore this morning. I don’t know if it is the weather change or this cold picking up. My DDI doesn’t worry about it and my son also has a sore throat so I don’t feel like an invading germ. My coughing has stopped this morning so hopefully I’ll be ok. I am here ten days so a dr visit is not a good idea.

It has been too warm extra late this year so the trees are just beginning to turn—they’re still green. I didn’t come for the trees anyway.

Faith, I am praying for you and your DH and a quick resolution for your tests.

Nancy, sorry every little thing has to be so difficult. I know how much work it is for you every time you leave.

On a good note, my DD got a call yesterday and they have an opening in January in nursing school and they want her so that will happen quickly. She has been trying for a couple of years to get in. I praise God for this answer to prayer.

Have a blessed day.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited October 2019

Faith, may our Lord grant you and your DH GOOD results from your tests and give you His supernatural strength so that you're an UNCOOKED noodle!

Nancy, praying blessings upon your trip and Mom visit - and NO SNAKES TO BE HAD! (Can they not send you that code via cell phone instead of snail mail?)

Chris - great news about the nursing school admission for your DD! Glad for your good visit with the little grands. I pray all will be well soon whether allergies or colds. Enjoy your visit and rest whenever you can.

James has been 48 hours fever free!!! He pops back pretty quickly ("Pop back" is just not in my vocabulary - but I'm used to it!) But I am rejoicing to have him "back" once more. We have two more medical trips up to Odessa & Midland yet this month so I pray he will remain fever/migraine free!

It is a gorgeous morning today in these parts. The oppressive heat is beginning to subside and I plan to bake some Irish bread, make an Irish stew and have friends (They're Irish!) over for a long-postponed supper tonight. Thanking the Lord that small blessings are also BIG blessings when you haven't had them in a while.

Nancy, that doctor appointment that took me two years to finally make - they CANCELLED it because of a schedule conflict!!! I just had to laugh.

May the Lord bless and keep you all,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited October 2019

HI all,

I have a prayer request. Long story short I cleaned out some of my outside water fountains on Monday and there was a healthy film of algae from all of the rain and crazy weather we have had. I was storing one away for the winter so had to do alot of up close scrubbing. I had sort of a hacking cough. Later that day I felt like my airways were constricted or something was caught. I was gone most of the day yesterday and spent time with my elderly friend who is 90 with dementia. I knew I was still feeling uncomfortable. So here I am today and possibly some better but I am supposed to leave tomorrow and need wisdom in how to proceed. I have not had any emergencies with my new primary to see if I can get in. I could go to urgent care. I have so much to do today to get ready for leaving tomorrow. I would appreciate your prayers. I don't have asthma or any breathing issues. I have had pneumonia once many years ago but it didn't feel like this. I do have lots of allergies. I did take a Benaydral (sp?) last night and when I was in bed I thought it felt okay. It is scaring me a little.

Love,

Nancy

• jack-bear
    jack-bear Member Posts: 169
    edited October 2019
    I would call my PCP & give them a chance to fit you in. Walk-In Clinic is my next. But that can also mean a trip to the Hospital & ER if they want a greater range of testing available to make an accurate DX
  • bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Thanks Nancy B.

I called my primary doctor and waited for quite a long time and I just hung up and got an appointment with the urgent care that is located in my cancer clinic. They have a whole imaging center there so I chose that location knowing that I could go right there for any diagnostics. I am actually feeling better but my apt is not until 5:15 and at this point would rather be safe than sorry if I end up downstate and get worse.

Thanks

Nancy

• jack-bear
    edited October 2019
    That sounds like a better plan. Our Walk-Ins are in Pharmacies. When they send you to the ER, it makes me feel defeated because I was trying to avoid that.

Keep us updated, Please❤️
    NancyB
  • faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited October 2019

Thank you all for your prayers, my DH had a clear ultrasound so that's all good. I saw my PCP about the kidney issue and I will have an ultrasound but he thinks it is just a cyst so I'm not too worried yet. However, while I was there, I got my flu shot and now I think I have every side effect listed and then some. I sure hope that's what it is since we have family coming this weekend and a big dinner out with them and a few others who live in the area My DGD is coming from Philly to run the Chicago Marathon and her parents are coming from Boise, ID to watch, So I can't be sick!

Nancy, I hope by now, you've seen a dr. and are feeling better for your trip to your mom's tomorrow. I'm sure you're also thinking I CAN'T BE SICK. either. Praying our DEAR LORD, the great healer is listening tonight.

Chris, it's wonderful that your DD got into nursing school. Two of our DGDs are nurses and have great jobs in a hospital. I'm glad you're having a nice visit with your other grands and pray you won't be sick. Our grandchildren are mostly grown now and we really miss having little ones around to cuddle and play with.

Ade, so happy to hear James is fever free and will pray he stays that way. I'm sure it's a terrible worry for you. Also, really sorry about your canceled Dr. appt. I know sometimes it's really hard to make some of those appointments. I hate to go for tests anymore since they always seem to find something we weren't expecting. Most of the time it turns out not to be much but it sure clauses lots of anxiety in the meantime.

Nancy, have a safe, healthy trip and wishing your mom a very happy birthday.🎂🎁🎉

Love and prayers for all,

Faith

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Hi dear ladies,

My internet connection is having huge problems so I hope this goes through. It has been a very long night and I have to get to bed. I have read everyone's post but I hope you understand I just can't respond to everyone right now.

By the time I got to the urgent care I was having alot of tightness in my chest. I had several tests for heart and lung and a breathing treatment. The doctor diagnosed it as reactive lung disease. I have an inhaler and prednisone. She suggested waiting on the steroids until morning since they can cause sleep problems. I really needed the inhaler tonight so it can also cause sleep issues but I took a chance on that. She thinks that I should feel better in a couple of days and if not to go to the ER downstate. Because Legionnaires has been a problem in this general area she mentioned with my water in my fountain that is where those germs can start.

I am happy to hear about James and Faith and her DH but NOT happy about Ade and your doctor cancelling on you. Devil.

I am planning on going ahead with my trip tomorrow and I am praying that I will get better and not worse. This whole situation is a first for me. Thank you for your prayers and good wishes.

I will post when I can. Remember at my Mom's facility she has no internet.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Hi dear ladies,

I am still at home and had some added complications today. I doubt if I will be going to see my Mom anytime soon. I am having some bad side effects from the meds and feel worse. I don't want to take a chance and get downstate and then end up in the ER if things get worse. That is what the urgent care doctor said I would need to do if I get downstate and got worse. She said the typical urgent care would not have the needed things for me.

Everything I have read about this disease sounds scary as if it can become chronic. Very cold here tonight and I need to protect some of my plants but just don't know if I feel up to it. I just bought a bunch of mums recently.

My diagnosis after looking at the written summary is mild intermittent reactive airway disease. I am a bit scared of what this might mean long term.

Stay warm everyone.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited October 2019

Oh Nancy, I am so sorry to read that you are not feeling well and your trip is postponed. Staying and recovering at home, though, do sound like the prudent things to do. Best to not take chances, especially when travelling out of town. I pray for a speedy recovery and no complications.

• intolight
    edited October 2019

Nancy, I am so sorry to hear of your delay. Stay home and get well. It is hard but take care of you. I am praying for you today.

I need to follow my own advice as my sore throat is not letting up and I coughed all night so I didn’t sleep. I am on my way to Urgent care now. We will see if they will touch me with my diagnosis and being out of state.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Thanks Hershey. I haven't talked to my Mom but will call her today. Not sure how much she knows of my sickness yet. She knew I was to come for her birthday but with her mind and her no sense of time who knows.

Chris, I am so sorry that you are sick. I pray that urgent care will treat you with the proper treatments with NO hassles. It is bad enough to be sick at home but to be sick miles from your home is really a challenge. Praying for healing for both of us.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    edited October 2019

Nancy, I’m so,sorry you are not feeling better and had to postpone your trip. You mentioned the meds are making you feel worse, well whenever I’ve had prednisone, it makes me feel awful. I’ve stopped taking it except for real emergencies. I pray your lung problem won’t become chronic.

Chris, I’m sorry also that you are feeling worse. It’s never fun to be away from home when we are sick.

Joanne I hope all you are dealing with are flu side effects, that’s bad enough. I’ve never had a reaction like this before. Really makes you wonder if it’s worth it. I think I’m over the worst of it but last night we were out to a big family dinner and my stomach was giving me lots of problems.

I’m beginning to think the devil in this world doesn’t want Believers to enjoy anything.

Love and prayers for healing for all of us here,

Faith (in the future).

• ade
    edited October 2019

I am so sorry so many are sick right now. Here they are blaming it on allergies and MANY are very sick including our son and his family and me too. We didn't get a flu shot because we read a report from a doctor statistics show that they are NOT effective and the side effects can be far worse than GETTING the flu. Many who do get the shot STILL get the flu. Doctors all push it but we just say no thanks. Can it be that there is a mega bug out there that they are not labeling? Fall is flue time so maybe there is a strain going "viral" pardon the pun. Nancy I think you were wise to stay put and rest. Your mom will surely appreciate a "second" birthday celebration.

Praying for ALL of you!

Love,

Ade

P.S. When the caregiver becomes the sickie - they are STILL the caregiver! Just the way it is.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Hi ladies,

It sounds like many of us are sick. Teka, enjoy your reunion. Stay safe and well.

Joanne, I hope you get over your effects of the flu shot. I cannot have any vaccines in my condition so I won't be having any flu shot any time soon.

Faith, I hope you are well enough to enjoy family that are coming in. I know the Marathon is tomorrow and praying your grand daughter will do well and that you will NOT be sick to enjoy being with everyone coming in.

Chris, I pray you are doing better. Did you get any treatment from urgent care. They didn't put me on antibiotics but I have been on enough of them I am glad they didn't. I do hope you did receive something to make you feel better.

Ade, I hope you and all of your family that are sick will recover quickly. Maybe we gave each other a cyber virus. I know.....NOT funny but did I at least make you smile. Misery loves company so they say.

Jack Bear. Aloha. I am sticking out the Predisone because I feel it might be the only thing that will knock this out of my lungs. I can tough it out for two more days I hope.

Take care dear sisters. Praying for a good and healing rest for all of us.

Love

Nancy

• jack-bear
    edited October 2019

🌺🎶🎶🌌🛌🌌🎶🎶🌺 And, if the flowers and stars and music do not lul you to sleep. You can always count 🐑

NancyB ♥️

• faith-840
    edited October 2019

Thank you all for your prayers, while I didn’t feel great, I did enjoy some nice family time. Our granddaughter ran a fantastic Marathon, finishing in under 3 hours and we are all so happy for her.

I’m still not feeling good and I could use a few prayers as I have to have a barium swallow test in the morning and can’t eat until after the test at 9:30. The worse part is not even water after midnight. Hope I can manage that as I’m always so dry.

I’m praying for all of us here for healing. This “noodle” is going to bed!

Love and prayers,

Faith

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Faith, glad you got to spend some nice time with family and glad your grand daughter did so well at the Marathon. Praying your test tomorrow will go quickly tomorrow. My biggest trouble with that test was I was having trouble understanding the tech's directions. So I hope you get someone who speaks clearly and you can hear and understand them. I can't remember why you are having the swallow test but I hope you get some answers and solutions.

I have only one more day on the Predisone and I will be thrilled when that course is done.

Have a restful night.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited October 2019

Faith, praying you feel better soon and that the prep for your test isn't too unbearable. Praying the test results are good news too. Be strong in the Lord if not in the flesh. Sending a hug.

Welcome Nancy B - if I haven't already done so!

Nancy, when James has to take Prednisone for his fevers he doesn't sleep a wink. It doesn't affect you like that? It doesn't "cure" his fevers but it seems to shorten duration - though he says not. Praying you get to feeling better and breathing better too and can maybe be well enough to celebrate that special belated birthday soon.

We are doing better - not there yet but better and thankful for it.

Blessings upon your week, sisters,

Ade

• jack-bear
    edited October 2019
    Thank you Ade. My little seive brain can't remember. But, I am so blessed to meet the wonderful people here and pray for & with everyone. I read to learn for many reasons. One is to have a better idea of what doctors care to hear about & need to hear.
    ❤️🙏❤️🎶 Love & Respect to ALL, NancyB ♥️
  • bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Hi dear sisters,

How is everyone doing? I have felt pretty awful for a long time and am finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel. I saw my primary doctor today as a follow up from the urgent care visit which seems like a very long time ago but wasn't. I have acid reflux so bad from the Predisone and at this point that is the issue. I have been taking OTC meds for the reflux and the doctor suggested me adding a second to what I was taking. I don't need the inhaler anymore as he thinks it was only a temporary thing. I can't tell you how good it was to hear that because I was thinking it could be chronic from all the research I had done.

My back and leg issues will eventually be addressed as I have an order for PT. I did tell my doctor that I probably will wait until my visits to my Mom are over. I was able to cancel an apt I had with my doctor for Nov so that gives me a window of opportunity to go down and see my Mom. Just not sure if I will go down twice in Nov or wait until Thanksgiving.

It took a cashier at Walgreens to remind me that we can rise above our circumstances with God. I have never met this lady but she probably saw I was wearing a cross and felt very free to proclaim God's goodness and our victory in Him. I left with a smile and I believe it was a divine appointment for sure.

The last I posted so many were having big challenges. Faith, Ade and James, Chris, Joanne and probably more that have not posted. How are you all doing now. Nancy B. I am SOOOOOOOOO glad the Predisone is over. One night I was awake the whole night.

I am ready to leave for an allergy shot. Tomorrow is dentist and then social worker for the last time probably later in the week. I will be glad to not have apts for a while.

Take care everyone. Praying for you.

Love,

Nancy

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited October 2019

Dear Sisters,

When reading my Jesus Calling this morning, I Saw that I had written on the page..Cancer Surgery, 2010.

Looking back over the last nine years, I am so thankful to be here. Since that surgery, I have seen 3 family marriages, 6 grandchildren, and many blessings. If I had not gone and seen my GYN when the Holy Spirit pressed on my heart to go, it would have been so much more serious.

Praying for all here on this thread and others battling this disease. Making the most of each day the Lord has given me, as I'm sure we all are doing. Celebrating the birth of my first granddaughter last week, and looking forward to seeing all the little ones soon.

Blessings, peace, and love to you all....love, Ellen

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Congratulation to Grandma Ellen.

• ade
    edited October 2019

Ellen, yes, for certain we all value every day more than ever and count our blessings even when the pain and sorrows try to beat us down. Our God is ALWAYS with and for us and His love lifts us up whenever we turn to Him. I'm so happy to hear about a new little grandblessing! Post a pic when you can...we LOOOVE to see new babies!

Nancy, it sounds like there just may be a light at the end of your looong tunnel. You have battled SO many battles on so many fronts that a respite is well deserved, and much needed. When those times of lesser trials finally come we give a big sigh with a "THANK YOU LORD!". I think I shared with you before that James was put on TWO 20mg Prednisone pills for fevers and he didn't sleep a wink! So he cut down his dosage to 1/2 pill and it seems to help with the fevers AND not keep him up. He does hate taking steroids but those fevers can be SO high and go on for 2 WEEKS! He's had some severe migraines lately and told his VA doctor but she said they "couldn't be migraines because they are too frequent". Not only did she chart them as "tension headaches" but she did not chart at all that he has complained of more frequent migraines and more sever pain! She failed to give a stronger dose of the preventative med (his present dosage is way below the normal dose), nor did she give him a stronger migraine med (he is also on the lowest dose of that!). She also said, "You're just getting old" when he mentioned other problems. Isn't that pathetic care? We filed to get another doctor but it has to be reviewed by a board first - so we wait. :o(

Allergies here are the worst! People get actually SICK they're so bad. James & I have both suffered as well as our son & his whole family. I will be glad to be done with this season. There is a large bush that has sweet smelling white flowers and it grows EVERYwhere. That's the culprit. Otherwise the weather is wonderful with blue skies all week long and temps in the 70s - perfect! We made the trip to Midland yesterday for a VA exam (for his claim towards more disability) and were on the road over 7 1/2 hours. It totally wiped us out so we went to bed WAY early and slept like babies. We have ANOTHER trip coming up NEXT Monday to the audiologist for James. We won't have NEAR The driving once we relocate to Ohio next spring or whenever. Our son had to spend 8 days on the border working so his family went up north to be with her mom there. He gets home today and the rest will follow this week. Happy to have them back!

Praying for you all (here they'd say "ALL y'all") with love.

Be strong in the Lord. He alone is our hope and our strength day to day.

Ade

• intolight
    edited October 2019

Ellen, yes, congratulations on the new blessing added to your family. And we do want a picture!

Nancy, praying God straightens out the paths to help you get to your mom and minimize the many medical hurdles you are going through right now. I met a wonderful Christian nurse at the urgent care in MO. I know she was sent by God since I was in an unfamiliar office, with an unfamiliar doctor, out of my regular HMO in a different state. My pulse was so fast she was concerned and said a prayer for me right there. Thank you Jesus who sends us just what we need when we need it.

Ade, praying through the many issues you are facing with James and the VA in addition to your own medical care and moving concerns.

I am finally feeling better--this has been a tough one. My DD has been accepted into nursing school starting in January. We are so happy for her but it means I will have the daily care of my granddaughter starting in January until she starts school in August. My daughter has to quit her job to attend school and paying for daycare at $1000 a month is just nor possible. I am thankful my DH is retired and can help but my health is gradually slipping so I am not going to fool myself into thinking it will be easy. More later...Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Ellen, I hope you saw your congratulations banner because from my laptop it is not visible anymore. I tried to post it again and it only shows this little square thing. This might mean I may not be able to post banners like I do if this doesn't change.

Ade, when I hear people say their doctor says you are just getting old I just cringe. I know that there are some things that come with aging but when that is said when the doctor just doesn't have an answer they need to own that and say I just don't know. I do hope you can find another doctor.

Chris, I am glad you found a sympathetic and compassionate nurse when going to urgent care. It is a stressful time whenever you have to go so having someone there making you feel more at ease is a huge blessing. I am happy to hear your daughter has been accepted into nursing school but I know that is going to make it harder for you. Praying that you feel much better and that God will give you the needed strength when that time comes.

Faith how did your test go? How are you doing?

I am having some GI problems from my new meds combo but in general I have felt much better. I went out after my dentist apt today and took a drive through the Arboretum with my camera. I took pics from my car and I did get out for some short stints.

I was so happy to hear that my cousin drove my Aunt (my Mom's sister) from her assisted living facility to see my Mom at hers. Two days later my Aunt had a mild heart attack and was in the hospital for a couple of days and had to go back on to the hospital on Sunday. I am not sure if my Mom knows this or not yet. I just found out today. My Mom comes from a family of nine siblings and she and my Aunt are the only two left.

Ellen I hope you did get to see your banner before it went poof.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    edited October 2019

Nancy, I'm sorry you were so sick and didn't make it to visit your Mom. I've been thinking of you and praying that all is well with you and everyone here. Thanks for asking about me. It's been a very busy, somewhat stressful couple of weeks here. While I enjoy seeing the family and now my granddaughter passing through on her fall break, I feel like a maid and chauffeur. Adding in my tests and I'm worn out. My Barium swallow test was inclusive as to the reason I have difficulty swallowing so I need to have an endoscopy now. The ultrasound of my kidney shows it's only a cyst, so I'm not going to worry about that. I'm also having PT again for the ongoing pain in my leg and back. I hope it will get better but right now, it's more sore than it was.

Chris, I'm glad you're finally feeling better and that your daughter was accepted into nursing school. However I can understand it's definitely a mixed blessing if you have full time care of your granddaughter. That can be very exhausting and stressful when you're older even if you weren't dealing with cancer. I'm sure we will all be praying that God gives you the strength you need.

Ade, I'm so sorry that you and James have to deal with such awful VA health care and that his headaches and fevers never seem to end. I'm sure you'll be happy to move back to Ohio even if the sunsets aren't as beautiful. And. Yes, I hate it when a doctor says it part of getting old! It's wonderful that you have such faith to sustain you through all the trials.

Ellen, congratulations on the new granddaughter. Grandchildren are so special and bring so much joy to our lives. We are kinda partial to granddaughters but we love our boys a lot too.

I'm giving thanks and praise to God tonight for all His blessings that my DH and I have had as we celebrate being married for 59 years today. It's really hard to believe it's been that long. I guess time flies when you're having fun. 😉 Wehave been blessed with four great children who are married to good people and ten wonderful grandchildren. Life hasn't been all roses and sunshine but we are still here and have so much to be grateful for.

Love and prayers for everyone,

Faith (in the future).

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

HAPPY 59TH ANNIVERSARY TO FAITH AND HER HUSBAND.

I am not able to post my usual banners. Something is being restricted and not sure what is happening. Sorry.

• intolight
    edited October 2019

Happy Anniversary Faith. That is a mighty accomplishment!

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2019

Okay Faith. I am trying one more time. Yeah it worked.