Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited December 2019

Jean, what an inviting picture. Your cat seems to love it too! I have not used my fireplace in 11 yrs. Guess how old my cat is. LOL She is the reason.

I did make it home safely on Sunday evening. I have a CT of the chest on Tuesday and I am a little nervous about this. This is because of my persistent cough. I thought it was going to be of the lungs so the chest scares me a bit.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited December 2019

Nancy, glad you made it home safely. I will be praying for your scan. Next week? Or was it today? I know you are nervous about it and I will pray God grants gives you peace and a good report.

Jean, love your cozy fireplace. We turned our heat off at the breaker (it was a poor radiant heat system in the ceiling) when we moved in six years ago and only use the fireplace for heat when needed. The advantage of San Diego. Of course we have a constant use of blankets, and I use a space heater when I am achey in the bedroom. We go through a cord of wood a year so that’s not too bad. The condo is over 40 years old and not very tight, but we rarely drop below 63* inside. I’ll send a picture once I get my DGD into bed.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Chris, my scan is next Tuesday. Thanks for asking. Getting blood work today for that.

My new allergy doctor has put me on an antihistimine spray. I don't usually tolerate antihistimines in oral form. I will also be doing bloodwork for my thyroid later as they have to be done in two different labs. I am concerned that the side effects of this nasal spray could interfere as the symptoms could mimic either too much thyroid or not enough if i did end up changing my thyroid meds. Loopy

Chris, did you meet your half brother this week? How did that go if you don't mind me asking?

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited December 2019

Nancy, I did meet my half-brother and his wife and had a lovely time. He is quite a character, but honest. He had lots of stories and brought a photo album for me to keep. For example, my grandfather was a train robber (and got caught!) and I am part Comanche. Lots of stuff I would have never known! One interesting fact is he had breast cancer 10 years ago, and is doing fine. It is rare for a male to have a mastectomy as they usually don't catch it all in time. He also brought me four books my dad wrote and published. I have yet to start them. My dad was also a musician and like me played many different instruments. I appreciate the acceptance from the family. Thanks for asking.

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    edited December 2019

Hi Nancy and Chris,

I haven’t checked in here in a few weeks and just wanted to touch base. It’s very refreshing to be with Christians , even online.

I had my first chemo treatment on Monday. Doing ok, so far, I think. Just tired, face flushed yesterday. Today tongue is a little sore and knees hurt, I assume from the Neulasta. Taking Claritin for that. It has really helped knowing what to expect and when. Glad I put my Christmas decor up before Thanksgiving, as I knew I would feel up to it later.

Nancy, I’ll be praying your scan turns out good next week.

Love to all,

Marg

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Chris, wow, what a story. I am so glad the family was so accepting. That was very nice for them to bring a photo album for you to keep. Finding out you are part Comanche is interesting. Your grandfather must have been a character. I hope this will open a new chapter for you of many more meeting with your half brother and family.

Margo, I have been praying for you and I am glad you have the first chemo under your belt now. I am I correct in that you only have three more chemo treatments. I say that not meaning to minimize that at all. I am glad you have all of these things in place for counteracting side effects. You sound well informed and ready to take it all on. I will continue to pray for you.

I passed my blood work so I am good to go on this CT of the chest.

Not doing so well with the nasal antihistimine but will hang in there for a few more days and see what happens. Things that make most people drowsy can make me agitated and hyper which is what I have experienced. This stuff would end up being pricey and I would have to pay a copay every three weeks which is certainly not what I was planning on. Oh well.

On a possibly good note...............I was emailing my VA advocate today and sending him the latest letter I got from the VA. I asked him if I should be concerned as they were acting as if I had not even started the claim process. He made a call to the VA handling my claim and emailed me back saying they have completed the claim on Dec. 2 and I should be hearing from them in 7-10 days. I am really hoping this will be my best ever Christmas present and if not I will be able to deal with whatever.

On a sad note my Mom's sister went into hospice on Monday of this week. I don't think my Mom knows this or would remember if we told her but I am hoping she can call her sister and have a good possibly final talk on the phone.

Joanne and her family could use your prayers. I won't say specifics without asking her.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited December 2019

Chris what a wonderful gift before Christmas - for you AND your half brother!

Margo - good to hear your first chemo is over and tolerable. Now it's a countdown.

Nancy, I just had a thought. My mother was on a blood pressure medication and coughed for a full year before they (she!) discovered that was a complication of her med. The cough stopped when she discontinued that medication. Hoping that quick fix might apply to you. I am sorry to hear about your aunt and hope that in this case your mom's memory issues are a blessing.

We're in the thick of a fever bout AGAIN. This one came far closer to the last one than ever before. Prior to this James had really bad migraines last week so we are running thin on energy around here and don't get good restful sleeps so, we nap daily. These REALLY wipe him out and we are concerned about the toll they may be taking on his body. I am left with taking care of him (my privilege and act of love) and running the house, but sometimes (most of the time) I wear thin when it comes to strength. I had 2 meniscus knee surgeries in the past and now the same knee is acting up again. I walk like Chester from Gunsmoke. We haven't even decorated for Christmas and am not sure we'll even do it this year. But that's ok, I plan to do it in a big way once we get moved to Ohio. There is an old farmhouse just down the road from my brother-in-law & his wife near our old 'stompin' grounds. It is a fixer-upper (sigh) but if they'd come down enough we would hire it all done as we can no longer do that kind of thing like we used to. Still praying we don't get out of God's plan for us.

The VA didn't even take into consideration the severity of James' migraines even with a journal he kept so they turned down 2 of the 3 claims and just gave a 20% increase for the hypertension even though James had 2 heart attacks & open heart surgery which can definitely relate to hypertension. We are beginning a Higher Level Review and hope for better results. Nancy I pray your mom's claim gets good results.

Joanne I am praying for you & your family & sending you a hug.

Jean - LOVE your fireplace photo!

Lord bless and keep you all,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

In my part of the world when we are in winter weather and the leaves have all fallen off the trees and things seem barren and devoid of life it can play on our emotions especially when difficulty comes our way. I love this Psalm because it portrays a strong and compassionate Lord who knows what we are going through and how difficult it is for us. If we could only see how He shields us from many things which we will never know in this life on earth. He loves us so much and He is whispering in your ear I know what you are going through and I am walking with you through it. You will get through it.

Ade and James have been walking through tough times which seem unending. Lord we ask that you would be the lifter of their heads and that you would envelop them with your peace, strength and healing.

Joanne's family has been through many trials and another one has come up with Joanne's husband. We pray Lord you know in the end what is best in this situation and I pray that the outcome will be in your will and decisions will be made for this situation that will in the end give you all the glory. However while they are in the middle of this I pray for complete peace that will surround Joanne knowing that you Lord are greater than her worry.

As Margo goes through her chemo treatments I pray Lord you will surround her with support and encouragement and I pray that she will be able to handle all of the side effects with your strength and love.

Have a good day dear sisters in the midst of all the trials.

Love,

Nancy

• margo53
    edited December 2019

Thank you Nancy for your faithfulness to pray. Your posts are very uplifting, which we all need so much

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Thank you Margo. I am sure there are more than me here praying for you.

I am ramping up my best efforts in my photo competition for this year. Here is one from today.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

I just got sad news that my Aunt (my Mom's last living sibling) died early this morning. I am pretty shaken up. I had just sent her a card in the mail yesterday. I didn't figure she would go this quickly. They put her in hospice on Monday. Now my plans are really up in the air. I don't know whether to cancel my CT scan for Tuesday or what. I will definitely be going to the funeral.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited December 2019

Nancy I am so sorry. May the Lord grant you comfort and wisdom in your plans. Your photo is beautiful.

Thank you all for the scriptures, prayers & banners. When you post these you never know when someone is needing just that ministry.

Joanne, the Lord is your glory and the lifter of your head. He is faithful and will see you through ALL of the trials.

James is day 5 in bed with fevers. Our nights are long and days are weary. Nothing comes to us unfiltered by the sovereignty of the Lord Who loves us. (He never says, "Oops - I didn't mean for THAT to happen!".) But He is NOT a mean or careless Heavenly Father. He has a purpose for everything and a plan always for our good, even if we can't comprehend it in the here and now - so we praise Him in the storm. Amen?

Hugs to all,

Ade

• intolight
    edited December 2019

Nancy, I am so sorry to hear about your sudden loss. You reminded me to not delay visiting my own precious auntie. Prayers that you make the best decision concerning your scan and that God will cover you with peace.

Ade, only God understands your distress. He loves you and James with an everlasting love. I will plead with you that God removes these fevers from James and sends you strength and joy this season.

Margo, continuing prayers for you as you recover from this treatment and that it destroys this cancer cells in your body. May you find strength and rest.

Jo, I will be praying for your husband's surgery on the 20th and that your whole household will experience a special calm and peace soon.

I will be away for the next week from this site but not from my prayers. God bless you all.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Ade and Chris thank you. I was miraculously able to move my CT of the chest up to tomorrow. Yes, they have Saturday apts now and I am so grateful for that.

Ade, my continued prayers go out to you and James. God refines us in these trials and one day you will understand the whys of this but in the mean time hang on to Jesus as tight as you can. He will carry you both through this very tough time.

Chris, I pray you have a good week next week.

I will be in touch while I can.

Love,

Nancy

• margo53
    edited December 2019

I’m so sorry for your loss Nancy. Praying and knowing God will comfort you during this difficult time.

Love,

Margo

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Thank you Margo. I have my CT scan this morning and then will leave on Sunday as the funeral is on Monday. Continuing to pray for you.

Love,

Nancy

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited December 2019

Nancy so sorry about the loss of your Aunt.

Chris what a blessing to hear about your family lineage, that is so cool. It is sometimes still tricky meeting up with people you didn't know before but most people I know find a connection. Hope it blessed you

Joanne, I am a worrier too. Someone emailed me saying I hadn't prescribed something for a patient who's culture had come back on November 30th and they were in the hospital right up until they saw me so I stupidly assumed they had prescribed something. Thankfully i send it in to pharmacy yesterday but God always humbles me and also if I am not careful I just want to walk away from what I do but then I realize that God is on the throne and will guide me. Stress stinks.

Margo, hoping chemo sends all those cancer cells packing and that you continue to tolerate it.

Ade, gosh when we were standing at the aisle on our wedding day looking at each other we never were truly prepared for the stuff that can happen, I am actually kinda glad I was naive over those many years but boy stuff is tough that is for sure. Praying for you both.

To everyone else, hope you are all well, and praying for you. I am hardly ever on here any more between watching the grandson, working full time, and trying believe it or not to exercise and eat well which takes some planning and time. Take care everyone. Cindy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Cindy, thank you. Good to hear from you. I can imagine you are VERY busy. Praying you have a wonderful Christmas.

Teka, thank you for the beautiful banner and good wishes.

Needless to say it has been a tough time for me and my family. My Aunt passing makes four deaths in our family in the last months and three of them just weeks apart. I am still pretty exhausted but getting back to swimming always helps me in all ways.

My CT scan of the chest did not go as I had expected. It was pretty much a nightmare trying to get an IV in me. So much for hydrating. It took two ladies to get the job done. The results were not what I had hoped for either. I am now facing a future ultrasound on my underarm lymph nodes and a CT or MRI of my abdomen as several things were called into question. I am weary of scans. I have had four MRI's and 1 CT scan in a little over a year and it looks like 2020 will be more of the same.

My Aunt's funeral was emotional and a great tribute to a great person. My Mom took it hard but will maybe forget about it the next day. That may be a blessing.

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• margo53
    edited December 2019

Nancy,

I’m so sorry about your scans and I’m praying for God to give you his peace that passes all understanding.i know it’s been a rough week for you and hope your weekend is better

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited December 2019

Dear Nancy,

I'm glad that you have resumed your swimming. Exercise is important on so many levels. I also hope your next scan goes off without a hitch and all results are benign.

Prayers for a peaceful weekend for everyone.

• ade
    edited December 2019

Nancy may the Lord grant you restful peace in the storms of life and GOOD scan results. Your banner says it all. A good friend of ours' wife was treated for uterine cancer, went into remission, HE was treated for lung cancer & lost part of one lung - then SHE had mets in HER lungs and was given 3-5 years. They had chemo together! Yesterday he gave a report and a praise that she is completely cancer free - no nodes or spots left or anything! Our God is a MIRACLE working God. Don't fear your scans and the "ifs". We're praying for you, Sister!

Thank you who have prayed for James. He had a week of really bad fevers and now has a migraines today. What a test! He fears those days of fevers will harm his already diseased heart and the violent chills take the wind (literally) out of him. We remain trusting the Lord.

In this busy season take time to sit before the Lord's Presence and let His love for you sink in. He delights in it and you need it!

Love to all,

Ade

• intolight
    edited December 2019

Nancy, I am sorry to hear about your scans and am praying for a miracle for you. God loves you more than you know. I also pray your mom's forgetfulness is a blessing at this time of the loss of her sister.

Ade, continual prayers for James for a miracle there also. Only God knows the source and I pray for either a revelation or complete healing.

I just returned from a week's cruise and I was without internet which was a mixed blessing, so I am sorry if I missed an important response. I did fine and my DH and I enjoyed some quiet and restful time together. I returned home to a sick 4 year-old and I am hoping I can keep from getting sick this close to Christmas. I still have much to do!

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Hi dear sisters. I appreciate all of your encouraging posts. I really need them right now. To add insult to injury I got a denial from my VA claim last night. There were some mistakes made which I can only address after talking with my VA advocate. My Mom's money has to drain a little further and then I think the appeal should be granted. That sent me into a frenzy of activity that continued into the night so I only got 4 hrs of sleep. I took a long nap after church today and am trying to regroup. The sermon was on JOY today and I really needed that. I truly need a tax expert and and my Mom's financial guy to help this time around because this VA form is SO tricky and no matter what evidence you give them if you don't have your details accurately in the right place on their form which is very user unfriendly then they will deny.

Margo, I hope you are doing well as can be with your treatments. Have you had your second chemo yet? I usually am pretty good at keeping track of these things but with all the driving back and forth for funerals and such my brain is mush right now.

Ade, I can only imagine how you both must feel. To say I will continue to pray sounds trite but of course we know that it is not. It is by His might through prayer and absorbing His word into our hearts and minds that we truly understand that He allows trials so we can run to Him and have a closer relationship with Him. I believe in Romans 8:28 as it is my verse I have on all of my photo cards. He will work all of these things for good for us. The hard part is the in between times when we can't see how He is working but of course if we had that special vision to see Him and his mighty army of angels working and fighting on our behalf we would be on our knees worshiping Him. I am praying that he will lift James up and that these fevers and migraines will BE GONE!!!!!

Chris, I am SO happy to hear you got to go on a cruise with your DH. I hope it was fantastic. I am sorry to hear you got home to a sick little one. I will pray she get well and you WILL NOT GET IT.

I have not heard any more from my PA in oncology. The doctor was out of town and she said she will get back to me after she has a chance to talk to him about my situation. She mentioned if he wanted a scan asap and I am thinking NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I don't have time. I am leaving on Friday for three weeks and will be staying at my Mom's house. I am trying to get things done but time is short.

Have a good week dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

This continues to be one of my top songs for Christmas. I never tire of hearing it. I have posted this video with the song in past years but I feel like it needs to be posted again. Somehow it brings home the reality of Jesus birth in human terms. The words of this song really get to me as it has many layers and not only applying to Mary.

Love,

Nancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ClXvC1HVM

• ade
    edited December 2019

Thank you Chris for the prayers. I hope you can get rested up from your vacation (sounds funny but we DO need vacation recovery time) and that you don't end up getting sick for the holidays.

Nancy, you've carried quite the load lately. May the Lord give you His peace with all that you must deal with, and bless your trip to see your mom. The music and video were just beautiful and I will share it for sure. Thank you for your encouragement too.

We have a respite form the fevers & migraines just now but never know when they will hit again. We saw James' cardiologist today and he thinks, as a guess, the fevers may be Autonomic Neuropathy. We would have to go to Dallas (a 3 hour drive to the airport then a flight) to have a specialist test James. The Cleveland Clinic can also do it, which is just a 4 hour drive from where we may be moving to so that may be a better option. The prognosis is not good for that disease and it is pretty rare with no cure, then fatal. I pray that is not the case. The better news is that James' numbers are ok, BP where it should be, and Doctor thinks the fevers will not harm the heart. We just trust in the Lord no matter the trials, for He is with us - right ladies?

I am tired, it's been a long day, and we have company for dinner tomorrow to prepare for so I will go get the jammies on and relax a bit.

Love and a hug for each of you brave sisters!

Ade

This was the moon setting one morning last week over the fog capped mountain.

• ade
    edited December 2019

P.S. Nancy we are filing for a Higher Level Review with the VA. It isn't difficult. You can't submit new evidence but another person will look at your case. Here's the link -

https://www.va.gov/decision-reviews/forms/higher-level-review-20-0996.pdf

You can mail or fax it in. Praying for your success! (Ours too!) :o)

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Ade, I hope you can get a correct diagnosis from someone for James. I have had a doctor not all that long ago imply that I might have this autoimmune disease and he had me in a tizzy. This disease ended in death. The thing is the condition he was talking about didn't start as a child as mine did and if what he said was true I should have been dead by now. What I learned from this is that doctor's sometimes speak without using a filter knowing that their words can cause a panic in their patients when they are really thinking out loud and not truly believing what they say but in my case scaring me into having a biopsy which I never did. I won't go into all of it but I knew he was way off base.

I had another doctor tell me I had an infection in my sinuses (this was immediately post surgery of the sinuses) that was resistant to all antibiotics and he didn't know what the #@$$ we were going to do. I truly went home thinking I was going to die. That afternoon his nurse called and said they had called in an antibiotic for me. I was totally relieved and angry all at the same time.

So doctors don't know everything and can say things that really sound scary that do not turn out to be what they said at all.

Doctors are great but they do make mistakes and I am praying that this doctor is wrong.

I was out driving last night and saw the moon looking very cool with the clouds. Looks similar to cool photo.

I have had some really rough days lately but today I woke up feeling much better. I got a phone message from my Oncologist nurse. My PA in oncology consulted with my doctor about the need for the CT scan of the abdomen and now they have added the pelvis the the mix. She said he was fine dealing with it at my next apt which won't be until Oct. or possibly Nov. I haven't made it yet. So I am not going to be too worried if they can wait on it almost a year.

I have emailed a few times to my VA advocate downstate and I have set up an apt with him for Jan. 6. I scaned ten pages of the denial letter which he didn't get but it goes to the Chicago VA office.

Our forms are not the same as I am not applying for disability. They told me the specific forms I can use and in my case I will have to give new facts because our situation deals with net worth and income as the main points right now. My Mom's income meets they expectations but they are saying her net worth is too much. Six months later (at present) her net worth is considerably lower so I will have lots of number crunching to do over the holidays. Just what I wanted to be doing. I do pray that we both can have a good outcome the second time around.

I did feel much better today and I dropped all the things i needed to do before leaving on Friday and I just felt led to go out with my camera for only 30 min. I heard a tip of two eagle sightings at this lake I frequent with my camera. It was very cloudy and I could have used more light but I saw the eagle flying over the lake as soon as I drove by. I whipped my car around to the parking lot and flew out of the car with my camera. I didn't have time to put on gloves and my hat and it was very windy and freezing but this may be the only time I get a photo of an eagle. I will have to post one soon. I wish I could go back when it is sunny but I don't think that is going to happen with all that needs to be done.

It is very late and I need to get to bed. Take care dear sisters.

Thank you for your prayers and support. Life is tough and it helps so much to have friends who pray and understand.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited December 2019

If you ladies who've been around for awhile remember, I had a great granddaughter born during chemo 5 years ago. Well here she is today, 5 yrs old this week. Hope it gives a smile! Love, Jean

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Wow Jean. I can't believe how much Valentina has grown. What a cutie. Thanks for sharing.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited December 2019

Nancy, I am sorry to hear you have been having some rough days. Praying that God sends you some relief and peaceful times this busy Christmas. You don't need the added stress! Glad to read your onc is content to wait awhile for your scans. In all our struggles we can hold fast to the promises of the presence of our Redeemer.

Jean, Valentina is beautiful! Such a blessing and message of the love of God.

Ade, love the foggy moon picture. You ladies are so talented!

My son arrives tomorrow night for his annual holiday visit. I am so excited. My DGD is excited as he promised to take her to see the new Frozen. She has been earning behavior stickers from pre-school just so she can go (bribery works for her!) Here is our view of the sun setting over the Bay and Pacific that we see every Christmas.

imageimage