Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited December 2019

Joanne, I still have that verse on my refrigerator attached to a crocheted pot holder. It was given to me by a church that one of my good friends was associated with when I was going through cancer treatments. They prayed for me and gave me this keepsake as a reminder. I keep it up there because I still look at that verse and it stills gives me comfort in all the other challenges of life. Praying for you in all that is going on with your family.

Ade, I failed to thank you for sending me that link.

Chris, wow what a gorgeous photo. It looks like it could be in Better Homes and Gardens. Such a view. I have never been to CA but maybe one day I will get to go. Enjoy your son. I can feel your excitement!!

One thing that the Lord showed me when I was at my Mom's house in one of the many times I have been there lately I will share. Her house is up on a hill and I remember my Dad struggling to mow that steep hill with his issues from a car accident. After he died and my nephew died it was a struggle to find a dedicated mower. That hill turned into a mess of practically no grass. Some of you that go way back on here with me may remember in my three week stay in May of a few years ago I tried to plant grass seed and spent a small fortune on supplies and seed blankets etc. I stressed over that ridiculous situation and every thing in the world that could have gone wrong did. Basically I spent hours on this project and that meant less time with my Mom who at that point could have cared less about the lawn with her memory issues. Slowly over time some of the grass came back and it looks some better. The Lord reminded me that in the scheme of things what a VERY minor thing this was and to expend all of this energy and stress got me where? So that helps me to look back on things I have stressed over and see how things work themselves out with the Lord's help. So with the things I am stressing over now more than likely I will look back and see how the Lord worked it all out in His timing and that I could have spared myself all the wasted energy and stress over things that if I had only trusted God completely things would have gone so much more smoothly. A lesson for me and one to share with you. BTW we have had an excellent Christian who faithfully mows and does other things for us now.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

I am attaching this document I found in my devotions today which might help some of you going through adversity. This is Dr. Charles Stanley In Touch Ministry.

12 LESSONS FROM ADVERSITY

Growing Closer to God Through Trials and Troubles

By Charles F. Stanley

• OCTOBER 02, 2016

BOOKMARK READ LATER SHARE

A

dversity was a bridge in the apostle Paul's life. Paul's life is one of the best biblical examples of how adversity can be a bridge to a deeper relationship with God. This apostle wrote the majority of the New Testament. Without the revelations the Lord gave him, we would have far less insight into how to live the Christian life. But his closeness to the Father came as the result of loss and hardship. He wrote, "I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord . . . that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death" (Phil. 3:8,10). Through tribulation and difficulty, Paul learned:

1. He could know peace even in adversity. Paul said, "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Phil. 4:11-13).
    2. God would give him supernatural strength in his weakness. He explained that his weakness allowed the Holy Spirit's power to work through his life: "I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong" (2 Cor. 12:9-10).
    3. The Lord was the source for all his needs. Philippians 4:19 says, "My God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." When we fully rely on the Father, He will provide for us.
    4. He could trust in the Lord's faithfulness. "God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it" (1 Cor. 10:13). Paul had learned to depend on the Lord to carry him through any trial.
    5. The Father valued his service more than his desires. Although Scripture promises that the Lord delights in giving us the desires of our hearts (Ps. 37:4), He will prioritize our character development over our comfort. Instead of satisfying Paul's inclination toward comfort and ease, God sent adversity to prepare him for greater service (2 Cor. 12:7).
    6. Even in his adversity, God would strengthen his message. Because Paul was imprisoned, the entire Roman guard heard the gospel (Phil. 1:13-15). The more adversity we face, the more effective our message will be to others. We have our greatest impact when people watch us go through pain and suffering with our faith intact.
    7. It's important to see everything as coming from God. One of the most important lessons the Lord has taught me is that He uses everything, even the wrongs of others, for His purposes in my life. (See 2 Corinthians 12:7.)
    8. God's ways are not our ways. Suffering is often the stimulus to greater closeness with God. We draw near to Him for relief from pain and suffering and, in the process, discover more about how He works. (See 2 Corinthians 12:9-10.)
    9. Adversity prepared him to comfort others more effectively. God uses our suffering to prepare us to minister to others (2 Cor. 1:3-4). We are best equipped to comfort people if we have been through something similar.
    10. God had a specific purpose for adversity. Paul's thorn had a particular function; it was designed to keep him humble and dependent on God, despite the astounding spiritual revelations he had been given (2 Cor. 12:7). Like him, our trials are designed by God to help us become the people He desires.
    11. We can rejoice in the midst of adversity. In Philippians 4:4, the apostle wrote, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" Knowing the Lord is always in control of our circumstances gives us a reason to celebrate.
    12. It is likely you are experiencing some type of adversity today. You can try to handle it using your own resources—turning to your friends for advice, doing the best you can, or escaping into hobbies or addictions. But I guarantee that when it comes to life-changing hardship, such coping mechanisms will ultimately fail. Your adversity will become an overwhelming burden.

I pray you will choose to see adversity as a bridge to a deeper relationship with your Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. If you are a believer, the awesome power of the Holy Spirit is able to equip and transform you and to carry you through suffering. Through pain and hardship, He demonstrates how much we need His help. The bridge of adversity can take you to a place of indescribable intimacy with Jesus Christ.

This article is adapted from the Sermon Notes for Dr. Stanley's message "Adversity-Burden or Bridge?" which airs this weekend on TV.

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited December 2019

Nancy, that excerpt from Charles Stanley's devotional (I read two of them in the mornings) REALLY ministers to all of us. I will print it and share with James. Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us. Your story about the grass on the hill (or lack thereof) is so true. The things we "get our gizzard in an uproar" over, as my mother-in-law used to say, end up being mole hills when we are on the other side of them looking back at how the Lord dealt with them. It's all perspective and remembering just how BIG the Lord we serve IS compared to our issues! That is something hard for me to remember yet it has happened SO many times. Thank you for the reminder to remember!

Chris I can't even imagine looking at that beauty in your own home (though the shadows forming all day on mountains surrounding us here still takes my breath away). What amazing photos! Thank you for sharing. How BLESSED you are!

Joanne you always have the right scriptures for the right times. Thank you for your Spirit led blessings to us. May the Lord bless your heart this Christmas season and lift you up.

Lord bless and keep all of you in His lovingkindness,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Thank you Ade. "Getting our gizzard in an uproar" made me smile and is a great way of saying let it go. Not to steal the Frozen movie's big song. LOL

I am at my Mom's house now and we will be celebrating our Christmas with our family tomorrow so I need get into the kitchen NOW and get my dish prepared. I got back from visiting my Mom. Poor thing is becoming more nervous about things. It is so sad to see and difficult to deal with on everyone's part. She would never want to be a burden to anyone when she was thinking clearly.

Have a wonderful week dear sisters. Merry Christmas to all of you.

Love,

Nancy

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited December 2019

Hope this encourages us all. Love, Jeanimage

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Jean, that is a beautiful photo and and encouraging verse.

We had our Christmas today. We all had a good time. I know my sister was wiped out as she is always the one hosting the holidays. My Mom did very well and played the piano. She misses her piano as it is still here at the house. We played this game sort of like Scrabble but not. My Mom did very well. She is a whiz at these word search games and crossword puzzles. My niece and her husband were in from Iowa. She is staying until Wed and he had to drive four hours back to Iowa this evening because he has to work tomorrow.

I am not sure what will happen on Christmas Day as we have never celebrated early. I will have presents for my Mom and that is about all I know.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas full of blessings and making new memories.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited December 2019

Jean, thank you for the verse and beautiful photo.

Nancy, so glad you and your mom had a good celebration day. I hope the celebration continues.

We are still celebrating here in our own way with simple meals and much laughter trying hard to keep the four year-old under control until the big day. I am so thankful I am still here. God is good!

• margo53
    margo53 Member Posts: 131
    edited December 2019

MerryChristmas to all of my new ( to me) sisters in Christ! I’m thankful for each of you and the pics and verses you pass along. May you all have the peace that passes all understanding this Christmas season❤️🎄

• Wildcolonialgirl
    Wildcolonialgirl Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2019

Wishing everyone a Blessed Merry Christmas.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited December 2019

Today and every day, the greatest gift is Jesus.

Merry Christmas to one and all! May your holidays be joyful and bright.

• ade
    edited December 2019

He is the Prince of Peace ~ Blessings upon your Christmas eve!

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Cammie and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. We celebrated two days before Christmas Day and had a great time with our family. On Christmas Day I spent time with my Mom at her facility. I took her church Hymnal and asked if it would be okay if she played the piano in the dining room. She played and some people came into the dining room and were shocked and amazed that she could play. One of the CNA's came up and was totally bowled over that my Mom could play and no one knew it. She is rusty from not actively playing like she used to but she can still play by ear. The challenge is remembering all the songs she used to play. Once it clicks she is pretty amazing considering she is missing two fingers on her right hand. It was a good day and one I had hoped for and planned on for a long time. The people clapped when she played something they knew. It was a great boost for her and for me too.

Joanne, so glad your DH's surgery went well and I hope he is recovering and doing well by now.

It is hard to believe that we are going to be closing the book on this decade. Think back to all of the great things God has done for you. I have heard recently that if you start your day with your gratitude list being longer than your expectations list it will affect the outcome of your day.

Let's try to make 2020 and the beginning of a new decade start on the right foot with praising God for all the blessings He has given us and ask Him to help us with that other list that really tends to bog us down if we let it............ the list or problems and challenges.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited December 2019

Nancy, A very Merry Christmas and Happy 2020 New Year to you. I loved hearing about your mom. God sends blessings in the most amazing places.

Joanne, praising God your DH's surgery went well.

We are all still coughing here--kept us from church again. But God sent us blue skies and a good night's rest. I am looking forward to a good year. Chris

• ade
    edited December 2019

We spent Christmas Day alone this year - no gifts - no parties - no hoopla - just remembering the real meaning of the day...and it was nice. Then on the 27th we spent almost the whole day at our son's house here with his family and it was a wonderful time. His wife, Marissa, has gal bladder problems and they will all head up to Lubbock to see her surgeon. She has been in such misery but was ok for our little get-together, thankfully. Please pray all goes well for her. She is such a blessing to our family.

Yesterday we said goodbye to my dear DEAR friend and sister in the Lord, Betty. She was 88 and a true saint if ever there was one. She spent Christmas with her Lord this year and will be missed terribly here. Sadly, her daughter was in ICU up in Odessa and missed her mother's service yesterday, but she has since been moved to a room and is doing better now. Betty ALWAYS answered her phone, "Hello, Jesus LOVES you!". What a blessings she was to everyone who knew or met her! Hallelujah no more sickness or pain!

Chris, I'm sorry about the coughing - but glad the sunny sky cheers you up - it does me too. I will surely miss these days when we move back to GRAY Ohio winters!

Joanne, I thank the Lord with you for your hubby's successful surgery and pray for a quick recovery with no complications. I pray your new year is so full of God's blessings that you're praising Him everyday, all day!

Nancy, Cammie looks so content in the photo I can almost hear her purr! A happy kitty is therapeutic, as is a dog's wagging tail. So glad your mom got to enjoy piano again. Maybe now it will become a 'thing' there!

The cardiologist thinks James may have Autonomic Neuropathy. If so, that is a bleak prognosis. We would have to go to Dallas to confirm it and that isn't possible, so we may go to the Cleveland Clinic when we move. I am fighting fear and depression over this - but I must trust in the Lord and in His mighty healing power. What a journey this life is. My devotionals have all hit the fact that trials strengthen our faith walk with Christ lately so I will take that seriously, as you all do! We will just run this race with perseverance in His strength.

Sisters, I Pray that each day of our new year of 2020 brings unexpected blessings for you and that you can find joy even when circumstances would not indicate it's presence. OUR joy comes from the Lord, His love for us and His faithfulness, not from the world. He hears every prayer, and understands what we are going through and we are the sheep of His pasture.

Lord bless and keep you,

Ade

• zjrosenthal
    edited December 2019

Praying all here have a blessed beginning to this new decade! Love, Jean

• intolight
    edited December 2019

Teka, love the banner!

Ade, continuing prayers for you and James.

Nancy, hoping you are having a good time with your mom. I miss mine especially this time of year.

I am praying for a New Year full of blessings and love for everyone.

• bandwoman1234
    edited December 2019

Happy almost New Year to all.

Ade, I pray Marissa can get some relief soon from her gallbladder problems and that she will feel comfortable meeting this surgeon. I am sorry for your loss. My aunt that we recently lost was named Betty also. Knowing they are rejoicing in heaven with past family and friends takes the sting out of the loss somewhat. I know you are so concerned about James and I pray that you can not get overly burdened with the what ifs until he is actually diagnosed. I know that is easier said than done but Jesus will take all of those burdens if we can leave them at His feet. ( I have to remind myself of that over and over.)

Chris, is this a new cough or what you have had from a long time ago? At any rate praying you all can get well soon. My Mom went to another get together on Sunday. Her church closed it's doors in June but the members were so close they still get together once a month to stay in touch. My Mom went to this for the first time and my sister and I were with her. She had not been to church for a long time as it got very challenging. She played the piano and again everyone was amazed and didn't realize she played and some didn't know she was missing two fingers. My Mom was master at hiding it from everyone even in her state now.

Jean, I hope this New Year will be a good one for you and your family.

Teka, I LOVE that banner. My photography allows me to do that so that is why it is such a gift. Praying we can all take time to smell the roses. I realize that may take months for you in snow country!!!!

Have a good night of ringing in the New Year. When my Mom was at her house I would open the front door at midnight and scream Happy New Year. I am sure if anyone heard me they would thing I had lost my marbles. It always gave my Mom a laugh and that is why I did it. I won't be doing that now but I will smile thinking about it. Afterall, I don't have that many marbles left to lose!!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited January 2020

Joanne - Yes! So appropriate for today - thank you for sharing that prayer & banner too.

Thank you all who have prayed for James & I throughout this year. Know that you're all in my prayers too. May the Lord grant you every blessing that He knows you need in 2020.

New years blessings to you all,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

Joanne, very timely words from Billy Graham even though they were written twelve years ago. Thank you for those wise words from a great evangelist. Your banner looks like the fireworks I set off last night. LOL Just kidding.

Ade, thank you for your prayers and you know we all are praying for you and James.

I always start each year with great hope and a fresh beginning. I am praying for a great year. I hope you are too.

Love,

Nancy

• Serenevictoria65
    Serenevictoria65 Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2020

Hello all. It's been awhile since my last post, due to continuing issues since my lumpectomy at the end of August, but I won't go into that long diatribe. I went in for a follow up mammogram and ultrasound last week, and my breast cancer has returned. The oncologist is recommending another lumpectomy, but the surgeon wants to do a mastectomy. They both want another PT and bone scan to make sure the cancer hasn't spread elsewhere. Also, even though my Oncotype test was a 1, meaning chemo wouldn't be of benefit, the surgeon is still recommending chemo before surgery. Feeling very disheartened, as I thought this cancer was in my past. Obviously not. Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and best wishes for a blessed New Year! 💖

• zjrosenthal
    edited January 2020

O dear Serene, how disappointing. You must be quite overwhelmed. We will be praying for you. Jean

• ade
    edited January 2020

Nancy, beautiful banner! We do serve the God of HOPE and we never know when His blessings are just right around the corner. The Bible says to encourage one another with the reminder that He is coming for His Bride soon - maybe this year! We look up, for our redemption draweth nigh!

Tori, we pray for wisdom between/among the doctors for the best treatment, peace and encouragement for you that the Lord can do ALL things, and for healing for your body no matter the diagnosis or prognosis. Please keep us updated.

Sending you a warm hug,

Ade

• intolight
    edited January 2020

Serene... I am sorry to read of your news and feel the fear and pain of your decisions. I will pray God sends you the best medical advise and help for this situation. Sending personal hugs too.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

Victoria,

I am so sorry to read your post and the new diagnosis you have received. I went back to read your posts from the past to get a fresh idea of your stats and treatments. If I am remembering correctly from what I just read did you have a sentinel node that was positive? I remember your Onco Type of 1 and the big difference in the size of your tumor from when first diagnosed.

I know this has to be a huge shock. In March I thought my cancer had come back and it sent me in to months of an emotional tailspin. During that time I had researched if a surgeon would do a lumpectomy twice in the same breast and my findings were that they usually don't. Before I had my biopsy I had an apt with my surgeon and I point blank asked him if my cancer has returned would you do another lumpectomy and he said no. When he said he would refer me to my oncologist I assumed that meant chemo as well even though my Onco Type was 16. The good news for me is that my cancer didn't come back but it was scar tissue. My surgeon didn't really want to discuss the what ifs until my biopsy results but I got the info out of him I was looking for.

It makes it very difficult for you that your medical team is not on the same page. I am praying for wisdom for you during this most difficult time and for peace after you make your decision. If your surgeon wants chemo he/she must think this is a fast growing tumor. This surgeon would know this from the path report and it would be the proliferation rate.

Please let us know what decisions you make so we can pray for you whatever kind of surgery or treatments you may have. I know you have your daughters for support and of course the Lord. I will be praying for you.

Love

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited January 2020

Dear Victoria, I am so sad to read the disappointing and painful news. Please know that we are here for you. I pray that the upcoming CT and bone scan are negative. Sending you a virtual hug as well.

• Serenevictoria65
    Serenevictoria65 Member Posts: 23
    edited January 2020

Thank you all SO much for your replies! Nancy, what your surgeon told you about not doing another lumpectomy if your cancer had returned is in line with the research I've found online since yesterday. So it looks like a mastectomy is in my near future. I will send an update once my scans are done and more is determined. Thank you all again! 💖

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

Victoria, praying that the scans will help your doctors know how to proceed. Praying for peace for you. Let us know what your find out.

Dear sisters, I have reached a very low today and I could use your prayers. I met with the VA guy again today after the denial of my claim. I cannot tell you how many hours I have put in on this initially and then after the appeal. I spent five hours on Friday night with my cousin and her husband who was an auditor for the state for 40 hrs. This form was a challenge for him and nothing like the older forms my cousin used for her Mom. He felt my Mom should be eligible right now.

The long and short of it is that the VA guy seemed very sheepish when I walked in. This was a big turn around from his volatile and somewhat cocky attitude before. He basically said I am afraid I gave you wrong information back in the summer in how to calculate your Mom's net worth. So the bottom line is she is not eligible at this point in time. I felt like crying when I left. Then when seeing my Mom tonight one of the CNA's who is so worried about her not eating suggested talking to her doctor about an appetite stimulant. After researching this for the elderly my sister and I are both not on board with that idea as the side effects can make things worse. We are now working on prepaying a funeral so that is some progress. I will be coming home on Friday and still so much to be done here. I will be in weeks of PT for my back and leg when I get back so making another trip back to my Mom's isn't going to happen unless an emergency arises.

I could use your prayers. I am not handling these things very well as we feel like we have been bombarded with unexpected issues. My sister lost one of her hearing aides when we were at church yesterday and still hasn't found it.

Oh Lord, give us the strength we need when we feel we have none left. Help lift us up when we feel defeated, scared and discouraged. Help us to go through difficult things in this life with grace and courage. Help us not to give up. In Jesus Name. Amen,

Love.

Nancy

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2020

Nancy, lifting you up. I havent been on in a while and I just read your last post. It will take weeks to get caught up on all the post.

I pray that everyone is doing well and had a blessed Christmas and New Year.

• intolight
    edited January 2020

Nancy, Sending prayers God will sustain and hold you today, and send you peace. I wish I could visit you in person and just be there for you. I have prayed that somewhere in the many emotions around your mom compounded with your own personal pain that you may find a place of strength with a little joy thrown in. Throughout this difficult journey I am learning to look for mini blessings in simple things.

Victoria, I am praying for wisdom for your medical team to find the right solution for you.

Yesterday started 18 months of watching my granddaughter while her mommy started nursing school. It is going to be a long 18 months! But I am thankful I can be part of her life. God gave me strength for the day, and I can still walk today! I will be thankful one day at a time.