Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited January 2020

Lunch! (Those are rice crackers and are REALLY good!)

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited January 2020

Ade, I am so glad to hear that James will be able to take this VA apt on Tuesday. Is that in Feb 4 or this coming Tues? I will be praying that whatever doctor he sees will be compassionate and helpful this time around.

Congratulations on a new eating plan. You go girl!!!!!!! Your lunch looks inviting. 5lbs is huge!!!!! That should be a great motivator for you. I have gained to the point I am afraid to get on the scales after coming back from my Mom's. I have to eat carry out a good portion of the time I am there in order to spend time with her and it has taken it's toll for sure.

When I started eating Gluten Free in 2013 after doing this massive blood work with my alt doc and finding out I was severely gluten intolerant I went on this elimination diet as I had 100 foods I had reacted to. It was a four day rotation diet and it was so hard BUT................the pounds stared dropping off at a really fast rate to the point I could hardly believe the scales.

I am not exactly sure what was working but I think eliminating the gluten was a big part of that. I hope you can continue your success and I just know it will help you feel better in all ways. I will be praying for you and for James.

BTW I opened that drawer that was the B and B for my little critter. He popped his head up and I screamed. I was NOT expecting that. So I have a big cleaning project on my list today and I hope I never see his cute little face again. Yes, I am a sucker for cuteness so this war will be hard.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

I thoroughly cleaned out the drawer and threw out most of the contest and I pulled the drawer out last night and there it was. I had bought several traps with little cups and strong as an ox. I caught the one in the drawer. I did put the trap in the drawer. I think I heard it go off when I was in bed. The problem is the first one I saw that I think was hoarding Cammies food is NOT the same type of mouse that was in the drawer. The first one was a gray mouse or shrew ( I only saw it's back side) and the one I got was a field mouse. They look totally different.

So one down and ??????????? to go.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

Two down. Will be resetting the traps.

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2020

I have to tell you all that we are praising God tonight and giving many thanks that my DH’s test for prostate cancer came back negative. NO abnormal findings. We are so grateful for all who have prayed for us. It was such a worry as my DH’s brother died from prostate cancer. Thank you to all who prayed for us.

This is such a wonderful supportive group of women and I’m so grateful that I have this forum to turn to when things seem really bleak. Thank you all for being here, it really helps to know that others are praying for us. There is so much power in group prayers.

I pray for all of you everyday hope that you feel lifted up when things are not as you want them to be and know that God will always be with us in time of trials. These trials are building up our trust muscles. “ Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding”.

Love and prayers,

Faith

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited January 2020

Faith, Praise the Lord indeed! I am so thankful for this answer to prayer. God is in the miracle business.

A good friend of ours is an intercessory "pray-er" for an evangelistic team (his official job title) and recently had a stroke while on a cruise on the Panama Canal. Without going into all the horrific details, he is now home in rehab and regaining his speech and movements. The many answers to prayer from doctors, to international friends who happened to live there, to special airline accommodations etc., are many. Even when things look bleak God shows His almighty Power and answers our prayers. I thank Him everyday and trust Him for His love.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

Faith, that is GREAT news. I know you are so relieved.

Chris, that is a great story of God's goodness and mercy in the midst of the storm.

PT is a challenge and tonight my back is so much worse that when I started. So discouraging and frustrating. Every therapist who has worked with my sensitive body is always amazed and challenged on how little things can set off other areas that weren't a problem to begin with.

Tonight at the PT there was a big search on for finding face masks. I didn't know what was going on until I realized that one of the patients there had just come from China and warned everyone apparently. They finally found a face mask. They went to Walgreens and they were all sold out. I guess no matter how the CDC says we should not panic many people must be doing just that. I was not too thrilled knowing this man was there for quite a while before they found him a mask. He was pretty far away from me but I do feel sorry for the therapist that was working with him. She was the one looking for a mask for him. There is someone in the Chicago area who has been diagnosed. She is in a hospital far away from my town. I have to admit I would not want to be in that hospital at this point in time.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love

Nancy

• ade
    edited January 2020

Faith, I am praising the Lord with you tonight! Oh what a relief for you! True words, Faith & Chris. These trials are SO hard, but we are encouraged us to keep eyes fixed on Jesus and that these things that befall us have to pass through the Father's hands first so He IS in total charge of us. (Aren't we thankful!)

Nancy I am so sorry about your back. You're doing the PT to FIX your problems and it seems to make others worse - how frustrating! Happy the mice are getting "picked off" one by one. Hopefully you can get them ALL...SOON. I pray your back will feel better soon and your PT can resume to HELP you again, AND that the fella there at PT is NOT sick with the Corona Virus! A Chinese nurse says people there should not leave their houses and that there are actually 90,000 cases! Thankfully it doesn't prove fatal for most - only some. James' doctor tried to get him to take a flu shot today - but that particular shot was decided on a year ago and totally missed the types of flu going around this year! Each year's formula is an 'educated guess' and DOES miss the mark... a LOT. It will not protect against this new one either as it isn't designed to target it. A fella who is beset with fevers has no business introducing flue virus into his system anyway.

We did get to go to the VA clinic over an hour away today and James got to Skype with a doctor 4 hours away. It was pretty impressive. The doc asked MANY questions and SEEMED to hear what James told him (unlike the last one!). The next visit will be from home via Skype too so we won't have to travel. Poor James started another fever before we even got home and at 6:30 he was in bed with those violent chills again that hurt his insides. His temp was still over 101 an hour after 3 Ibuprofen and he was miserable. I feel so helpless watching him suffer. I just pray FERVENTLY and do the "nurse" things I know to do but it really stresses me and depresses him. I am / WE are - so weary of this ongoing battle. This has been YEARS and is getting worse. Please pray for a healing for him. I think it may be another long night ahead. Signing off for now...

Love,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

Ade, I know this has been so difficult and scary and frustrating for you and James. I am praying that this new doctor will have some answers and solutions for this illness that has eluded the doctors that have seen James. I am so glad you can Skype from home. God is working already. Hang on to Jesus as tightly as you can.

I am praying.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited January 2020

Thank you so very much Nancy (and others who have posted and messaged me) for your kind understanding and prayers. Just knowing you care and are lifting this up to the Lord is such a comfort and I don't feel so alone in this time of trial. Please pray that MY health/strength can hold up so I can care for him until the Lord heals him. That is a real concern for me. He's in bed again today - I think the fever bout has been 4 days now. I am SO thankful it subsided long enough for the VA appointment yesterday. I can't see any way we can consider a move and all that entails until he improves, yet the better health care is in Ohio. We just need for the Lord to step in on HIS timeline I guess. Anyway thank you all.

With so much gratitude,

Ade

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited January 2020

Thank you all for sharing in our joy and relief at this good news of no cancer for my DH. I know I’ve said it before, as have others but it really is wonderful to know people are praying for us as I am praying for all of you.

Ade, I’m so sorry that James fevers and headaches are so relentless. How exhausting and scary for both of you. I can feel how discouraged you must be and I marvel that you continue to wait and trust in Our Dear Lord. We know it’s all in His timing not ours but it has to be so hard to continue to wait for the Lord. I’m keeping you both in prayer.

Nancy, I’m so sorry that PT is causing you more problems. I know that can easily happen to anyone. My DH went for PT on his back and ended with more problems in his knee. It’s all connected! I’ll pray that all your issues can be resolved.

Chris, thanks for sharing your story of the “pray-er”. It just continues to show us that prayers work miracles. Our parish has a few volunteer “pray-ers” but I never knew it could be a real paid job. It’s nice to know how other communities work. Wherever we are, we can see God’s hand and help at work in the world.

Sending lots of prayers and love and thanks

Faith (in the future).

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

Ade, we're all praying for you and James. I am praying that this Skype doctor visit will reap great rewards. How is James today this evening? I know when I have felt like I was hanging by a thread the Lord has smoothed out the terrain where I feel more confident in handling it all. Sometimes nothing changes except my perception of the problem. I am trying to keep my gaze on the Lord and when I start feeling defeated I know that I have been gazing on the problems. I know...............it all sounds so easy and simple but of course we all know that when you are in the thick of it nothing seems simple or easy. Hang in there. We are all pulling for both of you.

Faith, I think I have decided that I am going to have to be more forceful with my therapist and just say that I cannot continue down this path or I am going to have way more problems than I bargained for. She is sort of hard to read and pretty quiet unless we are talking about PT things. I do my exercises twice a day. If I could hear her say just do them once a day I would be thrilled because I think that is going to be what it will take. I would have never signed up for this otherwise.

Chris, have your had your infusion yet? I know you talked about feeling sick afterwards. Praying for you too.

I did install my new smoke alarm today so that is one big thing off my to do list. I don't see where there is condensation in the attic so I am praying it won't get knocked out again because of that until I get a guy to go up and put insulation around the pipes. I would not dare attempt it as there is no flooring up there and couldn't you just see the whole thing like an episode from I Love Lucy with me coming crashing through the ceiling into my second story. I live that episode to Lucy.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited January 2020

Nancy, I did have my infusion on Friday and was pretty much bed-ridden for Saturday through Monday. Yesterday and today have been pretty good--thanks for asking. I even took Bria with me on my own to the yardage store for more yarn and did great. I once cut short my PT from a shoulder issue and was thankful I did as I did better doing the exercises on my own. She helped me initially but I felt that the later sessions only caused more problems. I don't recommend this for everyone. PT usually is a remarkable thing, but you know your own body.

Ade, I am praying God moves many mountains for you and James.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2020

I found this when using my Biblegateway app. I hope this works because it was SO powerful.

Chris, I am glad you are feeling better. I am sorry you have to go through this after every infusion.

Ade, continued prayers for you and James.

It looks like this link is working. It is worth watching the 2 or so min. video after reading the interview.

https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2020/01/gods-unfailing-presence-an-interview-with-michele-cushatt/?utm_source=bg&utm_medium=bghome&utm_campaign=blog

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Joanne,

What happens when the ground hogs differ? Phil says early spring. Our IL groundhog says 6 more weeks of winter. I think that means I am moving to the early spring location!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either that or I am going to wear a blindfold for the remaining winter!!!! If I can't see it it's not there Happy.

Teka, how are you now post cataract surgery?

Victoria, haven't heard from you a quite a while. Let us know how you are doing and how we can pray for you.

Ade, how are things?

Love,

Nancy

Psalm 46[a]

1 God is our refuge and strength,
    an ever-present help in trouble.
    2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,

• intolight
    edited February 2020

Hi all. Just received an email from my MO that my PET scan results look stable. The only uptake is to the hyler node but it is minimal and not measurable so she is not concerned enough to change anything. Most of the areas where previous tumors were located are noted as "no pathology" I don't see her until the 20th so I am happy she took the time to send me a very complete report. Those of you who are not Stage IV may not understand all of this, but just note that after 3 1/2 years on this medicine with multiple metastases to bones and liver, that this report is good, and I know God has touched me. The medicine usually only works for two years. Thank you all for the prayers. God is good!

Ade, how is James doing today?

Nancy, how are you feeling? Any better?

Prayers for all who are stressed about test results and struggling everyday.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Chris, that is fantastic news. Definitely answers to prayers. If I were you I would go celebrate!!!!

After my PT today I am half way done and I continue to be a challenge to my therapist. My body just does not react to things as most do. I just hope when it is all said and done that I will not be so bad that it will take forever to get back to where I was when I started. I am praying for wisdom in all of this.

Ade, I hope things are improved with James. I hope you got through your taxes. I just finished mine yesterday so I can drive them way out of town to my tax guy. I do all the work and he gets all the money!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited February 2020

Teka, lovely view. That is the only part of winter I miss since we moved from Colorado.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Teka, what a beautiful view. I live in a state with NO mountains so I enjoy seeing anything besides flat!!! I hope your follow up apt for your eye surgery goes well and that you get a good report. My snow guy hasn't come one time this season. However that might change after today's snow. We have had trouble with ice over snow and when that starts there is no way he can do the job if he doesn't get here fast enough.

We have a new pastor at our church and he has really infused the congregation with excitement and anticipation of what is to come. He called our church today peculiar in the fact that we have such a diverse congregation from many, many different countries. I guess I never thought of that as unusual but I have many times believed that is what we will experience in heaven.

I took my first pictures of the year yesterday. With my PT it has made it difficult. It is always a way to be in the moment and have all the cares of the world slip away even for a short time.

Take care everyone and have a good week.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited February 2020

Chris what a blessing to get a report like that! You probably hold your breath with every test until you hear the results. We praise the Lord with you and pray for continued good news and healing.

Teka what a beautiful sight!!! We actually got snow last week - a rare and fun thing here. It leaves us quickly (which is good!) but is a novelty when we do get some. I will post a pic of our snowy mountains for you.

Nancy, is your PT lady LISTENING to you? I surely hope so, as her job is to make you feel BETTER! I remember the ice on top of the snow form when we were in Ohio. You could walk on top of a snow drift without sinking into it. But Oh the walks and roads were slick! Do be careful out there in car or on foot! Glad you got a little PT in (Photography-therapy!).

I thank the Lord that James has had no fevers or migraines in a week! However his personality has been altered. He is NOT the kind, gentle, thoughtful, happy, soft-spoken man I married and I am sad. I pray that he can get back to himself and I can be understanding and patient with him when he seems mean. :o( We have had our ups and downs over our nearly 50 years but this is very hard to deal with. I want to say, "Who ARE you and what did you do with my loving husband?" I keep telling myself that this is only a test - trust in the Lord.

Here is a pic of OUR snow and last night's sunset.

Lord bless and keep you all in His loving arms,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Ade, I am sure glad to hear that James has not been sick for a week. I can't imagine what that is like knowing that his personality has changed drastically. I am so sorry you are dealing with this.

I will miss your beautiful Texas pics when you eventually move. Snow would be nice if it appeared and the disappeared after the novelty wore off. Believe me the novelty of snow for this winter has worn off and we haven't even had that much!!!!!

I have PT today and it will be interesting to see what my therapist will say. I now have tailbone pain when sitting after coming home from PT the last couple of times. I told her my body would be a challenge and I wasn't kidding!

Well I have to run. Good to hear from you. I'll post some orchid pics soon.

Love

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Teka, that is wonderful. My Mom at 94 doesn't have to wear glasses except for reading. Me, on the other hand with both eyes having had the cataract surgery I still have to wear glasses all of the time because of my astigmatism. It will be a wonderful cost savings for you going forward too. So happy for you.

I hope to have some time later for posting some orchid pics. I have been working on a photo calendar competition and am finally sending my photos in the mail today. With PT and taxes it has been pretty crazy.

I skipped swimming today. I think I had a touch of a stomach virus the last couple of days and have not done too much but I do have PT late this afternoon. It has been a painful and disappointing ordeal and my poor therapist is trying her best to figure out my body. That makes two of us!!

I know many of us seek peace in our lives. I know some days are better than others in that pursuit.

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

John 14:27 New International Version (NIV)

27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Here are some photos to brighten your Valentine's Day weekend.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited February 2020

Nancy your orchid pix are simply outstanding! They really show God's creativity. Thank you! WOW!

Teka - SO happy for your no longer requiring glasses! (I've worn glasses since 2nd grade except for a teen span of wearing contacts - would LOVE to ditch them!)

Blessings,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Thank you Ade. I really appreciate that. The second pic is not an orchid and I don't know how the third one is considered but I love the uniqueness of God's design whatever they are called!! The first and last are definitely orchids.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited February 2020

Nancy, your photos are outstanding again! I love the colors and variety. You make me want to get out and hike--except I can only walk far on level ground...so the beach it is.

Ade, I have been praying for James and for an answer to your prayers.

• Serenevictoria65
    Serenevictoria65 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2020

Hello, my sisters! Sorry it's been so long since I posted...I feel like I've been hunkered down in a cave to conserve my emotional energy. I had my mastectomy four days ago and spent almost two days in the hospital. My mastectomy incision is very large...I look like something out of a Frankenstein movie. A RN has come twice already and will continue to visit three times a week to check for signs of infection and to check my drain. Because I am diabetic, the doctor wants to monitor very closely for infection and lymphedema. I'm sleeping almost constantly due to the pain meds and feeling like I've been hit by a truck, and feeling nauseous from the antibiotic. But definitely not complaining, as surgery went very well and the healing journey has begun!

Thank you all SO much for your prayers, and please know you are in mine! 💖

• intolight
    edited February 2020

Serenevictoria... I am praying for a quick recovery from your surgery and relief from pain, and that God will be with you during your healing.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Thank you Chris. Hiking along the beach sounds like heaven to me. I will live vicariously through you!!!

Victoria, I was wondering how you were doing and what treatment options you had decided. I am glad your surgery is over. We will certainly be praying for you. I pray that you will have good pain control and that there will be NO infections or complications. I know you have had a long and somewhat confusing journey so far. I do pray that you will get through this to look back and see how God has been with you all along the way.

Love,

Nancy

• ade
    edited February 2020

Victoria, hang in there - it gets better. Sleeping is a blessing early on so take those pain pills whenever it's time, to stay on top of the pain, and for as long as it takes. Once you get the drain out you will feel much more comfortable. I am thankful the nurses are checking up on you often. Also be sure to have food in your tummy when taking pain pills OR antibiotics to reduce the nausea. We're praying for you!

Chris THANK YOU for prayers - MUCH needed right now! I would LOOOVE to walk on a beach about now even though it's in the low 70s here the next few days.

Lord bless and keep you all,

Ade