Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited February 2020

Praying for you Victoria and asking for prayer by you dear ladies for a very large challenge I have been facing facing in my marriage. Love, Jean

• ade
    ade Member Posts: 720
    edited February 2020

Jean, I am praying for your marriage and that the Lord will hold you close right now.

With love,

Ade

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited February 2020

Nancy, your orchid pictures are just beautiful. You really have a gift for capturing them. I hope your PT is helping you and not making things worse.
    Praying for everyone here, especially Jean that God will help you find your way to each other in peace.

Ade, sending prayers that James’s fevers go away for a long time and that you have the strength to help care for him. It is such a worry, I know, especially when we don’t feel well either.

Chris, I can’t remember if I told you how happy it makes me to know your scan was good and you’re over the side effects of your infusion. I pray you continue to do well on Ibrance, my MO just mentioned the first patient he put on it five years ago is still doing well. Also, I’ve been reading that if there is some progression, there’s other meds to stop it and then go back to Ibrance. I think there’s lots of indications that this MBC will be a chronic disease instead of an end stage one.

Victoria, so glad to hear your surgery went well and you’re on the road to recovery. It’s not easy but it does get better. I had my mastectomy in 1991 and I’m guessing things are much improved by now.

Teka, happy also to hear your eye surgery also went well. Yes, it is great not to wear glasses or contacts anymore.

Prayers for all here, I’m sorry if I forgot anyone’s special needs but God knows who you are and He is watching over us, even if it doesn’t always feel that way. As Nancy has said many times, it’s only later that we see how God has been working in our lives and the world.

Love,

Faith

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited February 2020

Jean, I saw your post before leaving church this morning. I have been praying for you. I am praying for especially that God would give you wisdom and that He would draw you close to Him for peace, comfort and direction.

Faith, thank you for you nice comments on my photos. That always means a lot to me. I sure hope you are doing better. I have been praying for you and your back and leg pain. I hope that is improving. My PT has been very painful and I will be at a crossroads this coming week on how we will move forward. I see something things improving but I am in more pain and in more areas that I started. With my fibromyalgia my PT in the past has always been a challenge but nothing like this time around.

Have a good week dear sisters. As we are getting closer to March I am very anxious for spring.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

I posted a scripture this earlier this week and it has disappeared.

I continue to pray for all of you.
    Love,
    Nancy

1 Peter 5:7 New International Version (NIV)

7 Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Know that whatever you are going through God's love is enveloping you to give you peace and strength and courage. Love casts out all fear.

Ephesians 3:16-19 The Message (MSG)

14-19 My response is to get down on my knees before the Father, this magnificent Father who parcels out all heaven and earth. I ask him to strengthen you by his Spirit—not a brute strength but a glorious inner strength—that Christ will live in you as you open the door and invite him in. And I ask him that with both feet planted firmly on love, you'll be able to take in with all followers of Jesus the extravagant dimensions of Christ's love. Reach out and experience the breadth! Test its length! Plumb the depths! Rise to the heights! Live full lives, full in the fullness of God.

• ade
    edited February 2020

Beautiful, Nancy! Thank you.

Blessings,

Ade

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Smile

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 706
    edited February 2020

A powerful, uplifting, and most lovely message. Thank you, Nancy.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Thank you Ade and Hershey.

Ade, I have been praying you would be able to move and God would provide the help in doing so. Of course praying for James' healing.

Hershey, it is good to hear from you. How are you doing? How is the work situation going? Your Mom?

The Lord has really impressed on my heart that he wants good things for us. I am reading the book Relentless. I had posted an interview with the author a few weeks ago and I ended up buying the book. I may not get this right but I believe her name is Michelle Cushart. She has a cancer story but I have barely gotten into that yet. She has such a beautiful way of expressing the Garden of Eden and how God planned for us to have beauty and goodness around us. In my prayer time now I am also realizing how much beauty and abundance he wants for us. I was thinking about how many different types of orchids exist. That is just one flower in the whole universe that God has created. Why did he create all of this beauty? For His satisfaction and for ours. Of course we know how that one wrong decision in the Garden set our world into death and destruction....................but that is NOT the end of the story. We will have that beautiful Garden of Eden what ever that may look like after this life. I just know it is going to be wonderful and absent of pain and suffering and disappointment. It is going to be full of joy and the amazement of God's glory for those who have accepted Jesus as their Lord and savior.

Have a wonderful day dear sisters. I pray for you all the time. I pray this often in my prayer time. I pray that God will allow me to see the blessings and be a blessing in the day.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited February 2020

Nancy, love that version of Ephesians 3. It makes it so personal. How are you feeling?

Ade, still praying. I know God has something amazing in store for you and James.

Jean, I have been praying for your marriage for a long time and I know it must seem longer to you. I know first-hand how God can strengthen marriages and help us through rough parts even when there seems to be no answer. God can make a way!

I am in the process of setting up a trip the end of March to AZ to meet my three half-siblings for the first time. Some of you may remember they found me using ancestry.com a few months ago. They have decided to fly out and meet me when I visit my Auntie who happens to live near my new sister. I am going alone so pray I feel well enough to make the trip. I have been learning how God makes beauty out of ashes through a lot of tough situations.

• etnasgrl
    etnasgrl Member Posts: 185
    edited February 2020

Hello ladies!

I have recently been diagnosed with a new primary in my left breast after being NED for 4 years in my right breast.
    I love these message boards and have always received so much support and a lot of education.....however, I would love to join this thread to connect with other Christian ladies going through breast cancer. Support from anyone is wonderful, but there is nothing like the support of your sisters in Christ! Not to mention, I enjoy giving that support back.
    Anyway, I hope that y'all don't mind if I join in? I just had my lumpectomy/sentinel node biopsy and port placement done yesterday. It was a rough day, I felt like I was hit by a Mack truck, but today is MUCH better. I have a follow up appointment next week and by then the pathology should be in and we can discuss next steps. I know that will consist of chemo and Herceptin, as this time I am HER2+, but I am not sure of the schedule.
    Once all the treatments are done, I plan to move forward with a double mastectomy with reconstruction. Now that cancer has touched both my breasts, I am ready to have these girls gone! We did a lumpectomy first because my tumor was small, only 8mm, and I wanted it OUT asap.....that and recovery from a lumpectomy is much quicker than a mastectomy, which means I can move forward with chemo faster. The sooner I can start, the sooner it will be over and I am ready to get this behind me!

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Chris, I am doing fine. I appreciate the Message Bible as our former pastor used it a lot in his messages. It has a way of speaking in plain language that we can relate to. I had PT tonight and my tailbone is very painful to sit and has been like that for some time. My back is improving and as I had suspected my therapist is requesting more sessions. I have two more left and to be honest it didn't quite feel like graduation thinking of my last session for me because it took some time before I could feel positive changes. If I could sit without being in pain I would be fine. I had no trouble sitting before PT but it is what it is. I was wondering about your "new family". That is awesome that you will get to meet some of your half siblings and that they are flying out to meet you. That has to be so exciting and feeling like your world has greatly enlarged since that ancestry.com happening. I will pray that you will be able to successfully make this trip alone.

I will be having a mammogram and breast ultrasound on March 18 and I am battling the fear that really took me down the rabbit hole last year when I thought my cancer had returned. There are two lymph nodes that are suspect from a CT chest scan I had in the fall. This is the follow up US for that. I am taking one issue at a time. My back first and then my breast scans.

Etna, welcome to our little Christian community. You are certainly welcome and no one needs to join. I am really sorry to hear that you have to go through this journey again. You are doing great to post the day after your surgery. You are doing much better than I did the day after surgery. There is one our our ladies on here that is HER + and maybe she can weigh in and let you know her experience. I do remember three week infusions for HER+ for one of my friends who used to be on this thread. You sound very positive and knowing your plan always helps. We will be here for you and there is prayer power here.

Please feel free to post anytime.

Love,

Nancy

• etnasgrl
    edited February 2020

Thank you Nancy, for the welcome!

Heart
    That fear before a mammogram and ultrasound is so real and can be debilitating! Especially when you thought the cancer had returned the last time. ((((Hugs)))) If God has taught me anything during this "journey", is that we have absolutely NO control. It's a scary reality.....but we know The One who controls it all and He is faithful. I am slowly learning to trust Him. It's not easy and I tend to give Him my worries and doubts, only to snatch them away from Him, lol! Thankfully, He is patient! I truly believe that He allowed this cancer to touch me twice in order for me to learn to depend ONLY on Him and not on myself. Granted, I don't know all the reasons why I'm battling again and I may never know.....but I do know that He's got me and that's enough.
    He's got you too Nancy and He will never let go! I'll be praying for you!

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Thank you Etna. and Joanne. Our church has been selling some clothing and hats etc that says "God's Got This". I bought a tee shirt as a witness and reminder of that fact. He's got this for you and for me and for ALL of us. Yes, we have no control and for someone like me who likes to check off lists in my mind or on paper it is especially challenging to give up all control but that is what trust and surrender are all about. I am praying for you, Etna that you will make a speedy recovery so you can get on with your treatments.

Joanne, I can't believe you are about to hit your five year mark. God is good!!!!

It is hard to believe that Lent is upon us already. Have a blessed day and rest of the week dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

• etnasgrl
    edited February 2020

imageTo be honest ladies, I've been struggling with trusting God. I have allowed the overwhelming fear and uncertainty to just crush me. I had a long conversation with my husband last night about all of this and he said something that just grabbed my heart...…"Karen, you need to trust God and set your face like flint! Don't listen to the enemy when he whispers lies, instead set your face like flint and trust God!".

Knowing that was a scripture, I looked it up. It's Isaiah 50:7 and it is now the verse I will stand on!

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited February 2020

Etnasgrl, thank you for that scripture. I am so thankful the Bible is full of people who also struggled with trust so I know I am not alone in this. But God continually reminds me that He will strengthen my faith if I will only ask.

• bandwoman1234
    edited February 2020

Etna (Karen) I am glad that you have a supportive husband who is a Christian and is wise to give you a powerful verse. That is a great verse to stand on. Every single one of us on this thread who are Christians have battled fear. You would not be normal if you didn't. I have been reading a devotional for several years that a sister from this thread sent me. It is all about keeping your eyes on Jesus and staying in His presence. That is the key to victory over whatever you are going through. If the enemy starts to whisper lies, audibly shout (literally) you are a liar from the pit of hell and I am trusting in Jesus. I find such power rising in me when I take authority over the devil and my speaking out against him instills strength in that moment. Hang in there. We will all support you as you go through your treatments and while you are still in recovery.

Love,

Nancy

• etnasgrl
    edited February 2020

Good Morning ladies!!!
    I know that I have only been with your group for such a short time, but I am so thankful for your responses and support. Thank you for such a warm and lovely welcome. What a blessing you girls are.
    I have my follow up appointment on Tuesday with my surgical oncologist. All the soreness from the lumpectomy on Monday has faded....yay!! I am READY to meet with the medical oncologist, find out my chemo treatment and cycles, then MOVE FORWARD. The only way OUT is THROUGH....so let's do this.
    I'm praying for each of you, and hoping that y'all have a peaceful and joyful weekend. Please let me know if you have a specific prayer request, I would love to lift you up.

Heart

• Blessedteacher37
    Blessedteacher37 Member Posts: 297
    edited February 2020

Good Morning ladies,

I read through the messages.this morning and felt led to post. I still read your messages and pray for you all. Six years ago I received the DCIS diagnosis ( unwelcome surprise) but good came from it in that I found this community and have gotten so much encouragement. An added bonus ...I've made friends that I may never see on this earth but will be in Heaven with me...

Jo and Nancy, I'm coming up on that yearly mammogram and physical too; although I trust Jesus I am very human and have a little anxiety. I will be in prayer for you.

We are doing pretty well...Clyde has officially retired from active pastoral ministry, but we have joined a new church "start" for the worship, fellowship, and service opportunity. The pastor has been very accepting and offers Clyde an opportunity to preach every few weeks. Some of the members are people we knew from pre-ministry days, while the others are younger military couples with kids. No pressure, and a real sincere worship experience!

Clyde's youngest son Tyler arrived safely home from Afghanistan and has flown in for the weekend. All the grands are fine, and their parents ( our kids) are busy with daily life. We are blessed!

Praying for you all as we continue to navigate the BC Journey. May God bless you all with the riches of His grace!

Love, Ellen

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2020

Teka, that robin brings hope of spring. Do you have wintering robins in your north woods? We have them here but I don't see them. I haven't seen any robins yet. Can't wait. Your double egg yolk reminded me of a muppet character. LOL When is your next eye surgery? I was thinking it was coming the second week of March. Praying for a great result.

Etna, you sound more uplifted today. That is a great thing. So glad your soreness is over. Pain has a way of making everything more difficult. You sound ready to move forward. You go girl!!!

Ellen, it is great to hear from you. I am praying for your upcoming annual mammogram. We know how that fear can start creeping in. I am so glad to hear that Tyler is safely home from Afghanistan. I can only imagine the great sigh of relief having him there and in person without that fear for his safety. Enjoy your time with him. I am so glad that this new church start has been a great thing for everyone involved. I am glad it gives Clyde the opportunity to preach without the pressures. It sounds like a wonderful church.

I have been fighting off sickness since Wed. I have decided to do nothing for the next couple of days and that helps. I have not missed any PT and hopefully won't have to. My therapist has added 8 more sessions and we are trying only once a week sessions with her. I hate to draw this out any longer but I knew I was not ready to "graduate" yet. I had hoped to be done before seeing my Mom again at the end of March but that may not happen. Oh well. It has been slow progress but I am seeing progress. Still have pain when sitting. That is a real bummer but hopefully that will go away some time. I didn't have that pain when I started therapy.

Victoria how are you doing?

Have a great week dear sisters. I guess today is the beginning of spring according to the meteorologists. I'll take it no matter who is saying it!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• Serenevictoria65
    Serenevictoria65 Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2020

I absolutely love this, Nancy! I can't wait to see what our heavenly Garden of Eden looks like! It's now known there are millions of galaxies holding gazillions of planets in each galaxy. I've often wondered if Abba will give each of us our own planet to decorate it as we each see fit. Wouldn't that be fabulous? But I still feel that even though we will have a never-ending playground, my heart's home will always be sitting at His feet.

I continue to do well. Still have my pesky drain, which is still putting out between 150-200 ccs every day, just like when I had my lumpectomy. But feeling stronger every day, only taking Advil now for pain and my tummy is finally getting used to the Anastrozole (except for mild diarrhea and moderate fatigue). And all my cancer markers are now in normal range and I've lost 11 pounds in past two months, yay!

Hope you are all doing well...Spring is almost here and it got up to 72 here in Fort Worth today!

Love, Victoria

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2020

Hi Victoria,

Sorry it has been a while to respond. I have been sick all week. I am glad to hear you are doing well and feeling stronger everyday. Yeah on the weight loss and cancer markers being in normal range. All great things to celebrate. I finished Anastrozole at the end of July 2019. I initially had GI issues as well but I toughed it out for five years and I bet you will stay the course as well. I will continue to pray for you.

Love,

Nancy

Here is another take on Romans 8:28. This is my verse concerning my photography and on my photo greeting cards this is the verse I have on every one of them. The Message version has a way of speaking in language we can relate to.

Romans 8:28 The Message (MSG)

26-28 Meanwhile, the moment we get tired in the waiting, God's Spirit is right alongside helping us along. If we don't know how or what to pray, it doesn't matter. He does our praying in and for us, making prayer out of our wordless sighs, our aching groans. He knows us far better than we know ourselves, knows our pregnant condition, and keeps us present before God. That's why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited March 2020

Love that verse Nancy, thanks. We are doing a women's bible study on Psalm 23. The verse where it says that "He makes me to lie down in green pastures" always troubled me a bit. In the study it says "He settles me down in green pastures." I love hearing Him gently say "Ok Jean, settle down now!" especially when I am an anxious hot mess.

• bandwoman1234
    edited March 2020

Jean,

When I was going through my cancer treatments that is when I discovered the online Bible with audio. I listened to Psalm 23 over and over and over again. The spoken word was very soothing to me and gave me peace and strength and hope. I hope you study does the same for you. I think we have all been an anxious hot mess at some point or another. I know I have. God is in the repair and restoration business thankfully!!!!!!!!

This Psalm says it all so simply.

Love,

Nancy

Psalm 63:7-8 New International Version (NIV)

7 Because you are my help,
    I sing in the shadow of your wings.
    8 I cling to you;
    your right hand upholds me.

• etnasgrl
    edited March 2020

Victoria......glad to hear that you are feeling better and that your cancer markers are in the normal range, that is excellent! And congrats on the weight loss, you go girl!!

Nancy.....I sure hope that you are feeling better now.

I received some fantastic news on my pathology from the lumpectomy. Clean margins and no cancer in the lymph nodes, thank you Jesus!!! That was an answer to prayer and I am so grateful. I met with the medical oncologist this past week and got my treatment plan all set. Because the cancer was caught so early and had clean margins/no node involvement, I will only have to do Taxol. No other chemo, yay! I start on Thursday, March 19 and will continue on it for 12 weeks, along with Herceptin for a year. According to my oncologist, Taxol is a more mild chemo, so she is optimistic that my side effects will be fairly mild. (I sure hope that she is right!) I do plan on working through treatments, so mild side effects sound great to me.....although I am trying to prepare myself for anything, as you just never know with this cancer game.

I have decided that I will not wait for my hair to start falling out. I really don't think that I can handle that emotionally. I have ALWAYS had long hair since childhood, so watching it fall out will just crush me. I refuse to let cancer steal anymore from me than it has to, so I am taking control and shaving my head the weekend after my first treatment. The girl that cuts my hair will close the salon, so it's just us, and shave it all off. I will bring the two wigs that I bought, so she can trim them up to make them look good on me. I am SO excited about one of the wigs I purchased as it's the same color and style as my hair right now. I think that wearing it will help me feel more like me during treatments.

Oh and I just have to share this with y'all. Yesterday, I had to go in for an EKG and labs, so that my oncologist can have a baseline before we start chemo. I was REALLY nervous because it was going to be the first time using my port and I was so afraid. I stopped at the restroom before going to my appointment and when I closed the stall door, there was a yellow Post-It saying, "Lean On God." with a smiley face. Oh, how I love those Jesus moments!!

Heart Anyway, I go to the infusion center and try to settle myself down. The nurse sprayed some numbing spray, told me to look at something on the TV real quick and when I turned back to look at her, the line was in! Less than 10 seconds and all I felt was the coldness of the numbing spray, I couldn't believe it, lol! I got so worked up over NOTHING. Silly, lol! But now I have peace of mind that when I go in for my treatments accessing the port will not be a big or painful ordeal.

I hope that y'all are having a wonderful weekend! Please let me know if there are any prayer requests, as I would love to lift anyone who needs it up in prayer.
    Much love ladies!

• etnasgrl
    edited March 2020

And Nancy, this is the second time today that I have come across Psalm 63:7-8! Wow!
    I am always so amazed by the goodness of God. He talks to us, if we just pay attention and listen.

Oh, thank you Jesus!

SillyHeart

• ade
    edited March 2020

Karen I am SO glad your journey is off to such a positive start and you're trusting our Lord all the way! What an inspiration you are to others about to embark now. The Lord is good and worthy to be praised!

Nancy I pray you get to feeling better soon. Bless your heart! May the Lord place a sweet robin on your window sill to bless you with his song and may the Lord heal you soon. Rest and heal.

Victoria, glad you are coming along well and pray for continued healing.

James is in a 'well spell' for which I am SO very thankful! His brain MRI is clear but we won't know the 2 CT scan results until he sees the specialist next week. His 69th birthday is Tuesday! We put in an offer on an Ohio house but it was rejected. It's ok...wasn't the one the Lord willed for us. Hopefully it will stimulate James to get moving on prepping this one for sale now (?) I have had migraines the last few days & am seeing 'sparklies' today. Not the end of the world.

Lord bless and keep you all,

Ade

• etnasgrl
    edited March 2020

Ade,

I assume James is your husband? Do you mind me asking what his illness is? I would like to lift him up in prayer.
    And I do hope that your migraines go away soon. I know how depilating they can be.
    ((((Hugs))))