Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Irisheyes756
    Irisheyes756 Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2021

Often I scroll over the posts and ask the Lord to minister as He knows best to each one.

Irish

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited October 2021

Do you all remember the song, "Make Me a Blessing". I used to love that song as a kid.

I'll probably have the song running through my head now.

"Out in the highways and byways of life
    Many are weary and sad..."

So true...

Carol

• loverofjesus
    loverofjesus Member Posts: 174
    edited October 2021

Hi ladies! I scrolled through this morning and prayed for each of you. Thankful for you all!

I need prayers sent up for me today. I will be having another breast MRI tomorrow so the surgeon can see where we are for surgery. Please pray for the tumor to be gone and good results. And pray for me and my anxiety as I have this. Being face down in a loud machine for 30 minutes is just nerve wrecking.

Hugs to all!

Shannon

• sunshine99
    edited October 2021

Shannon, I'm praying for perfect peace that is promised in Philippians 4:6-7 for you today and tomorrow.

I also like Proverbs 1:33 - "Whoever listens to me will dwell secure and will be at ease, without dread of disaster. (My emphasis added). I especially love the part about "without dread". Dread and worry are such thieves of our peace. I often forget that until God takes my hand and says, "Um Carol, did you forget what we learned yesterday? Or five minutes ago?" Me: "Yep, sorry about that, God". I imagine He shakes His head a little, and says to Himself, "She never quite gets it".

Carol

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited October 2021

Good morning ladies.

Shannon, I am praying for your MRI and that God grants you a bubble of peace while you are going through the machine. May there be no cancer apparent anywhere.

Nancy, I am praying for you while you are at the doctor's today. I pray you can get some relief and a good solution so you heal quickly.

I also pray for you others as you recover from radiation and chemo and navigate through the stress and personal anxieties that accompany this terrible disease. May God grant us a collective blessing of healing and peace.

I am almost ready to vacate my home tomorrow for it to be termite tented. It has been a chore, and there are still small things to do. Packing up anything edible, including medications, is as hard as moving--the worse chore in the world! I am trying to organize some food to take to the airbnb we will use for the next four days as we don't want to eat many meals out, while still cooking and fixing food while we are still here. I need a personal organizer! You also have to pack away valuables, make sure there are no dirty clothes as the gas they use increases organic growth, remove plants from the balcony, and pack for four days away. All of this is done inbetween daily living and trying to manage medicinal side effects. My DD is having a skin cancer cut from her ear today so she is ready for her new job which starts on Monday, but she will be no help for the rest of the day. I know Esther is going through her tenting right now so I pray she is not too exhausted from all of it. Sorry to rant about a silly termite when so many of you are battling worse things today, but I appreciate the forum!

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2021

IntoLight...I don't know...termites sound pretty bad. We had a flea infestation once, and it was awful. They ignored my husband and daughter, deciding to dine on me instead. It took a solid month of daily top to bottom house vacuuming to get rid of those things. Our cat has since passed, but there's a neighborhood cat that likes to sit on our front porch. I'm forever paranoid that a rogue flea is going to jump through the front door and get that all started again!

• intolight
    edited October 2021

gb, I do hate fleas. We had them in the house once when I was a child and I still remember. They also dine on me. Mosquitos too. I guess we are both just too sweet!

• gb2115
    edited October 2021

I just (frustratingly) had a coworker question my decision to not get a double mastectomy. Asked if maybe I hadn't thought about the risks of not getting both sides removed. This was so frustrating to hear. Of course I have thought about the risks, and it's a difficult decision. And there's no guarantees either way. I have had such debilitation from the cancer side (and it's even worse now), that I didn't want two bad sides for the rest of my life. Yes, I realize it could come back yet again but in the healthy side. I just don't understand how someone can sit there and talk to you like you're an idiot for a medical path that you've walked several times, and they haven't had to walk at all.

I take future risk with a grain of salt, and am big on quality of life, because I just watched my mother die of metastasis after taking every precaution.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 705
    edited October 2021

GB, I can only imagine how frustrating your colleague's questions must have been for you. I'm sorry you were placed in that position.

My mother worked with a busybody for many years. When Cathy would cross a boundary, my mother would say, "now why would you ask such a thing" or "why do you need to know that?" It put the focus of the conversation back on Cathy and not on my mother. In time, she stopped asking my mother inappropriate questions.

• gb2115
    edited October 2021

I like that, "why would you ask such a thing."

• intolight
    edited October 2021

gb, sorry you had to go through that. She is the one with the problem... I also like "Why would you ask me that?" I will have to remember that line. I have had people question my diagnosis since I still look "normal" after five years. What do they expect me to look like? I work hard to have QOL and I know you do too.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited October 2021

Carol, I listened to that song and I am not familiar with it. It is a beautiful song. I can see how it could run through your head all day after hearing it. I hope you are doing well.

Irish, I pray for patience and peace in the waiting for you. I know it must seem like an eternity. Thank you for all of your prayers for us.

Shannon, I am praying for peace for you for right now. I pray for peace as you are in the MRI machine and for peace afterwards. We all can fully appreciate how difficult this whole process is. Praying for a great result and for wisdom as you make decisions going forward for your upcoming surgery. Thank you for your prayers.

Chris and Esther, I pray that this whole ordeal of tenting for termites is successful as far as getting rid of all things in the creepy crawly category. I cannot imagine how difficult this whole process has been for both of you. I guess looking on the bright side is that by the holidays this will all be over and you can both sit back and relax. Chris, praying for your daughter as she has this skin cancer removed. I pray that it will be completely eradicated and she will be fully ready to start her new job. How exciting for her when that happens and how proud I know you are of all of her accomplishments.

GB, I think many of us have endured people who like to tell us their opinion on our personal decisions that have NOTHING to do with them. I have never been the type of person to actually say this is none of your business but it is none of this person's business. Hershey's mother's tactic of dealing with this kind of person is choice. I am sure you and your oncologist have discussed the path you have chosen to take. It is after all YOUR choice. Don't let this person get you down. I think that many people that say things like this are really trying to be helpful and are reaching out in concern but just in an inappropriate manner. I know you have your Taxol #4 tomorrow and I am praying that will go well. Hang in there. You are going to make it to the end.

I did see my primary today. He wants me to call him on Friday if I get any worse. He gave me the choice to wait it out a few more days or have new meds added to the mix. I chose to wait it out for a few more days. I still have some congestion in my lungs but I am doing okay. I am not worse but just on the same plateau which is frustrating since I have so much fall clean up outside to do before it gets really cold. Thank you all for your prayers and you all have mine as well.

Love,

Nancy

• faith-840
    faith-840 Member Posts: 926
    edited October 2021

Gb, I asked the surgeon 30 years ago if I should have a double mastectomy and he advised against it which was great advice. I still have lingering issues on that side with the scar tissue and lymphedema and I can only have chemo and blood draws on the non-surgical side. That woman didn’t know what she was talking about. Not only that but when my cancer came back five years ago, it was in my lung not the other breast. I’m still doing good with only letrozole keeping my cancer at bay. Good luck to you with the surgery. Prayers that the surgeon will get all the cancer and chemo will get the rest.

Shannon, sending prayers for your MRI tomorrow, that is not an easy thing to go through but as Chris said, we will pray that there is a bubble of peace surrounding you and no cancer to be found.

Chris, prayers for you also as you have to vacate while your house is tented. What a job packing everything up and then you will have to unpack it all. Prayers for strength while you go through this.

Nancy, I’m so sorry that you have been sick and pray that you will be on the mend soon. Please take care of yourself and get some rest. I’m sure you’re anxious to do yard clean up but the weather is not very good for that, so just rest. It will eventually get done.

Friends, we could use some prayers for our trip next week to our DGD’s wedding. Neither DH or I are feeling very good, very tired and I have some anxiety about the whole trip. I’m worried about our health while we travel. Traveling is so stressful and we are not feeling very strong right now. I would really be most grateful for your prayers. Thank you all. And love and prayers for you too.

Love, Faith, (in the future)

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2021

Faith, I am praying for you and DH as you get ready for your trip. Are you flying out? I know it is a stressful time and I will be praying for protection around you, DH and your family as you help celebrate your grand daughters wedding. Yes, this crazy rainy weather has been something. I have toadstools that have popped up all over my front yard because of all the rain.

Shannon, I hope that by now your MRI is over and you got through it in that bubble of peace that Chris mentioned. Praying for a good result and that you can have freedom from anxiety during the waiting for results.

GB, I know you had another Taxol treatment today. Praying it goes smoothly and you tolerate it well.

Chris, praying you can enjoy your Airbnb once you get settle in for a few days. I pray it will feel like a mini vacation even though I am sure all the work you had to do was exhausting.

I called my pcp back today and told his nurse I would like meds sent in now as I felt like my cough was a bit worse.

Have a good day dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited October 2021

Nancy, I am sorry your cough is worse and I pray the new meds will help and not cause any more trouble. One of my grandsons is really sick with what sounds like a similar cold and cough. It breaks my heart I can't be there to hold him, but my son reminded me I couldn't anyways or I would get sick.

Yes, I am exhausted from packing up the house and am about finished. I am just resting right now. My DH is taking us out for a special early dinner, then we will stop back by our condo for the cold foods we are taking with us before driving down the street (literally) for the airbnb. We are trying to keep things easy. I am glad to clean out everything as it was needed it, but it is stressful.

I have been praying for everyone as it much as possible. We really need each other especially now with the pandemic issues invading every aspect of our lives. I can't seem to get my brain settled much...just too much going on right now.

Take care and God bless us all.

Chris

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2021

Chris, I am glad you don't have to travel far for your Airbnb. I will pray for extra strength for you. My doctor's office just called me and I am a bit disappointed that he didn't add Prednisone to the antibiotics that he prescribed like we had discussed yesterday. When I was diagnosed with reactive airway disease two years ago I was on both of those things and even though I had trouble with the steroid I believe it helped. Oh well. Maybe he saw that in his notes from back then and decided it wasn't worth dealing with acid reflux on top of everything else.

I do hope you can relax and settle in and have a mini vacation.

Love

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited October 2021

I'm ok after Taxol #4 I guess. I'm having a LOT of germ/infection anxiety. I know I probably need to talk with my therapist again. I also might post on the chemo thread to ask them what their ports look like. I don't think I actually have a problem with mine but I worry that the puncture marks seem to be lingering (with now weekly treatments) and the little bit of pink around them is making my anxiety soar. It was business as usual at chemo yesterday, I think if I had actual issues the chemo nurse would have noticed when doing port care. I just can't turn the anxiety off. I'm obsessively afraid of infection (always have been). And I can't stop checking it to see if it's changing. I know it can be uncovered, but I think I need to put a bandaid over it for work today, at an angle where I can't easily peek under it. Maybe that will help. I'm unlikely to pull the bandaid off in the bathroom there. And if I leave it uncovered I'll spend all day peeking under my shirt.

:-(

• gb2115
    edited October 2021

To add insult to injury (quite literally), my germaphobe self discovered new folliculitis in my armpit (waiting for a call back from the nurse on that one), then I managed to gash my hand with my toenail while putting my underwear on. ???!!! How does that even happen, and why is my toenail so sharp? Now I'm worried that whatever is causing the ongoing folliculitis will get into that hand gash, so off I go to wash my hands 100 more times. Sigh.

• sunshine99
    edited October 2021

Nancy, I just wanted to pop in and say that I hope you're starting to feel better today.

Chris, I hope your "move" goes smoothly. We really need to have our garage tented. I store a lot of food out there, and I think they want us to pull back part of the deck so they can wrap the garage. It is a detached garage as we live in a 1910 Craftsman house. I feel for people having to move out, even if it's just for a few days.

Waving "hello" to everyone else.

Carol

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 705
    edited October 2021

GB, just a thought about the pink markings around your port...if the chemo nurse doesn't allow proper dry time for the skin cleanser or disinfectant, a rash may develop that might be confused for an allergy or infection. Is it possible to message the clinic and include an image of your port area?

• Esther01
    Esther01 Member Posts: 229
    edited October 2021

Morning! I've scrolled through so I can pray for each of you for your expressed concerns. Faith, I am really praying for your travel next week for your granddaughter's wedding.

Hershey, I loved your advice to GB with your mother's question, "Now why would you ask such a thing?" I am going to have to remember that!

GB, I'd be doing exactly what you are doing, as it's my nature to keep checking and checking... I'd cover it, too! I thought the bandaid was a good idea. And you're right, if the nurse saw anything concerning, you would know. I hope your skin heals from your toenail. Now that sounds like something I would have done, too.

Chris, I have been thinking of you all week! I know how crazy awful this packing and moving has been. They finally took our tent off yesterday, but we're not moving back into the house for a few more days. My neighbor is so sweet, he got everything locked up and the alarm back on after they left, and even turned our sprinklers back on and rehung our flag so I wouldn't have to drive back from SD to OC to do it myself. I shared this with Nancy ... I had a bit of a scare on the final night, because one of our bedroom Ring cameras alerted me that there was "a person detected in the master bedroom." I didn't see it until hours after it happened, so it was too late to do anything about it. I then saw a second video of a creepy man (well, he was creeping in the still shot) walking past our tent in the backyard about twenty minutes earlier. Turns out no one was in the master, and he was one of the fume crew opening up the vents to start the process of letting out the gas. Whew!

Nancy, I am continuing to pray that you feel better and for the cough to go away. How are you feeling this morning? If those toadstools were in our yard, there would be toads sitting on every single one of them.

Carol, your 1910 Craftsman sounds lovely. I have always been enchanted by homes of that time period. Did yours come with a little passthrough milk door into the kitchen or were those in fashion later? And how do they expect you to pull back your deck? That sounds quite difficult. Shannon, did your MRI go OK yesterday? I am praying for your next steps.
    Much love,

Esther

• intolight
    edited October 2021

Gb, sorry you are struggling so--and while working too! You continue to amaze me. Praying for no infection and calming peace.

Carol, we are fine after moving out. I am exhausted today and had leg pain all night, probably from all the extra work I did on my feet yesterday. The airbnb we are in is really nice and equipped enough we feel good about it. I knew it would be noisy because it is located on a busy intersection, but for some reason it is reassuring. I also heard the surf from the ocean last night more. If the cloud cover is just right we can hear it from our condo even though it is one-half mile away from the ocean.

Nancy, how are you doing today? I am also concerned about Ade as I haven't heard from her for awhile. I know they were not feeling well.

Take care dear sisters. God holds you in His hands and heart.

Chris

• gb2115
    edited October 2021

HersheyKiss--I don't know if their portal allows for an image. I should check on that. Honestly, the pink area is embarrassingly small. Like, I'm embarrassed to be concerned about it. It's like when you have a paper cut and you get that slight pink around it. My husband pointed out how it's pink around an IV stick afterwards too, so why would this be any different. He has a good point.

At least I can't look at it with the bandaid on...

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2021

GB, I'm sorry for all you are going through. I hope the call into the nurse will help alleviate some of your anxiety. Praying you have no infection in your port.

Chris, I hope your leg pain goes away so you can enjoy your Airbnb and get rested and hopefully enjoy the time there. I too am concerned about not hearing from Ade.

Carol, thanks for popping in. You are always in my prayers.

Hershey, I love how you can help support GB from your own experiences with chemo. I hope you are doing well.

Shannon, I hope you are doing okay. Praying in this awful wait time.

Irish, praying the same as you wait for the genome test to come back.

Esther, that would have totally freaked me out thinking someone had been in my master bedroom. I am relieved that you found out it was just one of the crew and no one was actually inside. Whew. This pic is for you. You made me laugh. I peeked out today and some of the toadstools are gone but some are there but no toads. My toadstools aren't as pretty as this one. They are the boring white ones. Glad your tent is off and hopefully all of those buggers are gone!

I am doing the same. No better, no wor se, no energy. I am on my AB now but it is too early to tell about that. Just feeling lifeless today. I do appreciate your prayers for me and asking about me. This little community is a great comfort to me and I hope for all of you as well.

I believe God loves all creatures great and small............however I am not quite sure about fleas and termites!!!!!!

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited October 2021

Nurse didn't call me back. That's very uncharacteristic. Well, I will keep an eye on things over the weekend. Nothing is doctor on call level, it's all watch and wait.

• Irisheyes756
    Irisheyes756 Member Posts: 47
    edited October 2021

Ladies, what a a joy to some on this site to see how the support brings hope. I have posted to the other 60+ group about the saga of trying to get my ONCOTYPE results.

this morning, I came here I just felt peace,

Thank you

IRISH

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2021

Dear sisters,

Many of us are facing fear of some sort. Some waiting to see what their treatment will be. Some waiting to make decisions on their surgery. Some fearing the treatments while enduring them. Some fearing if there will be a recurrence after treatments. Some facing fear and panic and not understanding any of it while trying to find solutions to deal with it all. Some may be experiencing a vacation from the trials and are in a time of being lead by the still waters. Don't we all wish that those times would be longer. Where ever you are today in your journey of faith know that you are not alone in your trials or your triumphs. You have a friend who stays closer than a brother and His name is Jesus.

Love,

Nancy

• loverofjesus
    edited October 2021

Praying for each of you tonight as I scroll through. Praying peace, healing, love, and joy to be in your lives!

I appreciate you all more than words can ever say. God has blessed me with you all to pray for me and for me to pray for and we walk this journey together.

May you all be at peace and sleep well!

Shannon

• gb2115
    edited October 2021

Work is messing with my FMLA again. I don't understand why they can't get this right. Waiting (again) for HR to call me back. Unfortunately HR is the problem here.

• loverofjesus
    edited October 2021

Hello everyone. I have a praise report .

My MRI came back that Jesus and chemo had shrunk the cancer to less than a centimeter in size!

With me having a DMX there should be no problem getting clean margins.

So excited!

Please pray for me as surgery comes up. I have a lot of prayer requests as it gets closer and I visit with. Drs. And. Surgeons again.

——GB I’m sorry they are making things hard for you! Praying now favor over you with HR. And that for all of this to be sorted out where whatever you need is taken care of!!!

Love and hugs

Shanno