Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited December 2021

Shannon, I remember that day I didn't wake up thinking about cancer. It was sometime in the middle of the day, and I remember distinctly thinking that I hadn't woken up that morning thinking about cancer. I don't remember how long after my diagnosis it was, but it did happen. I hope it happens soon for you!

(((hugs)))

Carol

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited December 2021

Shannon, I praise the Father for your healing. I remember the day I felt the same healing power and continue to praise Him even in the midst of my current storm. Stormy days do not mean setbacks...they just mean it is time to shelter in His arms. He wants us there.

Today will be a mixed emotion day for me. It started in tears when my DH said it was time for him to care for me after I have cared for him for almost fifty years. This is still a difficult paradigm shift for me. I wake each morning willing to jump out of bed and start the day only to plant my feet on the ground and hold onto the rail so I don't fall. The day will continue as I see my pulmonologist to start a plan for me to transition off these horrible meds for my move. It will continue as I then try to plan for cataract surgery and final packing and all the myriad of mini-hurdles Satan is placing in front of me hoping I will trip. I will not. Not even knowing my son-in-law was here for Christmas with Covid. I then will face the fact I can't stand by the stove and cook for my family, my act of daily love for the past fifty years. When I retire tonight I will remember you all in my prayers once again feeling blessed you are in my life.

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited December 2021

Shannon, I am glad you were able to enjoy Christmas being off the cancer train for a while. You have had quite a ride and I am believing with you that you are healed.

Carol, I am glad you don't wake up every morning thinking about cancer. That is a blessing. I hope your Christmas was joyful and a blessing.

Chris, I feel for you going through this sickness and feeling so weak. You are amazingly strong and your spirit is still shining brightly in the midst of all that is happening around you and in you. I pray that your apt goes well with the pulmonologist and you will leave feeling hopeful. Also praying no one gets Covid because of your SIL. When does your daughter and Bria leave for CO? I believe you have mentioned it but my memory is not kicking into gear today. Allow yourself to be served. I understand how difficult that is. Last year I had to depend on friends and neighbors for quite a long time and it felt very awkward and uncomfortable but I was very grateful to have them as I know you are for your DH being there for you.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited December 2021

Happened to go onto the Oncology portal to message my nurse. I saw that my Dexa results are back. So...I apparently have osteoporosis in both hips, and osteopenia in my spine. Osteoporosis at 43, and about start ovarian suppression and aromatase inhibitors. This sure sounds super fun.

I have pretty bad reflux with possibly something going on with my esophagus. I get esophageal spasms and possibly have had pills stuck before (per GI), so those oral bisphosphonates are concerning. Supposed to have had an endoscopy to rule out stricture and other things, but it keeps getting pushed out because of cancer. Probably won't get that done until March now. I guess I should just remind Oncology (or whoever is going to treat this) of the GI concerns and let them figure it out. Maybe she'll go right to one of the IV products. She wasn't even going to check a baseline, because of my being premenopausal and on tamoxifen for so long, but once I mentioned it she agreed we should check. Yikes.

• intolight
    edited December 2021

GB, so sorry to read of yet more struggles. God cares about the small and the large struggles and I will certainly continue to ask for healing for you. You are in my constant prayers.

I saw my pulmonologist yesterday and feel more encouraged now. We have a 12-week plan to wean me off the steroids. She showed me my CT scan and it was scary how fast it deteriorated in the four days between ER visit scans. No wonder the I was under constant IVs and had so many doctors check on me, but she said it is definitely improving and there is no reason I can't continue my moving plans and let a pulmonologist take over once we are moved. I am praising God for the healing. I have a barrage of pulmonary tests to go through first, like altitude tolerance, baseline function, and a few more, but that is all in preparation. The predinosone has caused diabetes (a known side effect) so I now need to monitor that until I can get it under control once off the drugs too. Not happy! I need to schedule the cataract surgery ASAP and a few more hundred details before I can leave, but I am beginning to feel better. Yesterday was the first day I left the house in the ten days since my hospital visit. The moving truck comes the 7th and my DD and family leave the 8th.

Thankfully my family seem to be safe from the Covid exposure this time. It has hit San Diego heavy right now and places are shutting down again. I am still praying my sweet granddaughter doesn't get it as she loved on her uncle a lot while he was here and sick. They have a special bond and of course we had no idea he was sick.

On this last day of 2021 I join Christians everywhere in the prayer of II Chronicles 17. "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

GB, I am so sorry to hear of more obstacles for you. I am continuing to pray for ALL of the issues that you are facing. You will get through this.

Chris, I am glad you were encouraged after seeing your pulmonologist. I am thankful for the healing you have had so far and I was very glad to hear you actually left the house. That is a huge step forward. I am so sorry to hear that the prednisone has caused diabetes. I am praying that this will be reversed once you can get off of that med. I am glad you are feeling some better. I am praying for strength as you go through your to do list before moving. Will you try to have your cataract surgery before moving? I am glad Covid has not spread to your family. Whew!!! I am praying for your daughter and Bria to get moved without a hitch. I am praying that she will be successful in her new position and that Bria will be excited about the move and will make new friends at her new school.

I am agreeing with that prayer for our nation.

Happy New Year to all of you dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited January 2022

To add insult to injury, the oven broke last night (old and needs to be replaced), and now the brand new washer won't work. I feel like hiding in a closet and crying. We need a break.

• sunshine99
    edited January 2022

gb, I'm so sorry! Enough is enough!

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

A friend sent me this today and it was so good I am posting it here as well.

Good morning and welcome to Flight 2022.
    We are prepared to take off into the New Year.
    Please make sure your Positive Attitude and
    Gratitude are secured and locked in the upright
    position. All self-destruct devices: pity, anger,
    selfishness, pride, and resentment should be turned
    off at this time. All negativity, hurt, and
    discouragement should be put away.
    Should you lose your Positive Attitude under
    pressure during this flight, reach up and pull down a
    prayer. Prayers will automatically be activated by
    Faith. Once your Faith is activated, you can assist
    other passengers who are of little faith.
    There will be NO BAGGAGE allowed on this flight.
    God, our Captain, has cleared us for take-off.
    Destination: AN ABUNDANT LIFE
    Wishing you a New Year filled with new HOPE,
    new JOY, and new BEGINNINGS!
    Welcome 2022.

Although I cannot find the author of this message, I hope that it will encourage you as well.

• sunshine99
    edited January 2022

Love that, Nancy! Thank you for sharing it.

• intolight
    edited January 2022

Oh GB, you don't need anymore. I am still waiting for my fridge repair that went out Nov 13th (now promised for Jan 4th). Not to get you down but to empathisize with you. Together we will weather this! You are not alone although I am sure it feels like it.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited January 2022

This must be the season of misbehaving appliances. My washing machine refuses to automatically progress to the rinse and spin cycles. We're having to shut it off after each cycle and then manually run one cycle at a time. It makes for a long wash day. At least the dryer is running like a champ! ;-)

• gb2115
    edited January 2022

The washer wouldn't unlock the lid. It locked itself empty, but my husband was able to remove the front panel and get in there and manually unlock it. It was gunky around the lock, so maybe cleaning it out helped. He ran two loads today, so we'll try it again tomorrow. Hopefully that was all that was going on!

The oven display broke, so while the stovetop works, the oven can't be turned on or set. It physically broke--one of the buttons had been cracked for awhile and a finger went all the way through it yesterday. So we ordered a new one yesterday. It has an air fryer setting...not sure what to do with that! I've hated our oven and stove since we moved into the house, so I'm not really lamenting that this one will be replaced. It never baked stuff evenly, ever. And one of the burners never worked very well either!

New range comes in a couple of weeks I think. Our pork roast that was traditionally going to be today for new year's went into the freezer. We'll enjoy that later.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

As I was praying for all of you today I kept claiming 1 John 4:4 over some of you. I have seen the enemy in my own life try to discourage me through a variety of things that come at me from all directions and the enemy would love for me and you to see ourselves as victims instead of victors which we know we are in Christ. If the enemy can get us to believe his lies even for a short while he thinks he has won in our lives by discouraging us and having us in weak moments believe his lies. When I finally realize what is happening it makes me angry and puts me in a fight mode against the evil one. He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world. No weapon formed against me shall prosper. If God is for us who can be against us. Speak these verses out loud if you need to. For me I feel something rise up inside me when I know that God is fighting my battles as I speak these verses.

The sun is shining today here. It seems lately that this has been a rare event for the last many weeks. I am grateful for a new day and a sunny day. I am grateful for all of you and consider it a privilege to pray for each of you.

I hope this day is a better day for all of us.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited January 2022

Nancy, thank you for your faithfulness in continued prayers. You are a special source of encouragement for us all. God is answering your prayers in many ways.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

Thank you Chris. I needed to hear that today. How are you doing? I know this has been such a tough time for you. I pray that the worst is over and that you will regain your strength. I pray that you will finally get your fridge fixed tomorrow.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

I continue to pray for each one of you. We have been in the deep freeze the last few days and I made the mistake of trying to walk around this lake during this weather and that was a big mistake. It was icy and I was not expecting that. I did finally make it safely to my car and I told myself I am never doing that again. I was afraid if I fell no one would find me as hardly anyone was there and they lock up this forest preserve after sunset with a gate. There are five swans swimming in this lake in winter. Who knew they could tolerate the cold.

Chris, how are you feeling? Did you ever get your fridge fixed? I sure hope so. I know your daughter and granddaughter will be moving very soon and I have been praying for both of them in this move too.

GB, how are you feeling? I hope you family has all recovered from Covid.

I visited my favorite orchid nursery this week and even though I have repotted a few of my orchids this one I have is special and quite big and I took it to have them repot it for me. I was hoping to buy another mini orchid but didn't find any yet. I did take some pics. I will attach a few and I hope they brighten your day.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited January 2022

Nancy, beautiful flowers.

The moving truck comes tomorrow. We are as ready as we can be considering all that has happened. I am feeling well enough I actually packed a few boxes although I rest often. My oxygen has been good so that has not hampered me. The fridge won't be fixed for another week yet as they sent the wrong part. We will manage with a mini fridge. I have no date yet for Cataract surgery or pulmonary testing but I will keep pushing. I don't want to delay getting my next cancer treatment started but I also realize I am still recovering from the damage my last one caused.

Thank you for your prayers. Tomorrow will be a long day but after that I can rest.

gB I am still praying for you and your family..

• gb2115
    edited January 2022

Hi Nancy, love the flowers!

We're doing ok. I still have a cough, and think I pulled a muscle in my chest. Maybe...

I'm in my office hiding from everyone. I'm concerned about catching something else and further delaying surgery--I have no doubt some of them are ill--I can hear the coughing from inside my closed door. I had Covid already, but there's other things going around. I would just go out on leave if I had the leave to take. I have just enough left for surgery recovery, so I'm trying to hang in there until then.

My pre-op eval is on Monday.

• hersheykiss
    edited January 2022

My mother had COVID in December 2020. She was vaccinated in March and April (Moderna) and received her booster in October. A nursing supervisor called this afternoon that my mom has tested positive again!? Thankfully her symptoms are mild (a runny nose, a little congestion). Her assisted living facility is following the 10-day isolation guidelines, so my mom will be out of circulation for a bit.

Nancy, thank you for posting the beautiful photos. What sophisticated blossoms they are!

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

Chris, I am amazed that you are able to pack some boxes but I hope you don't push yourself too much. I will be praying for the big move tomorrow. I know that all of these big things and little things will fall into place before you and DH move. I will continue to pray that the move will be safe and that your daughter will experience success and fulfillment in her new position and that Bria will make new friends and feel good about her new school.

GB, I'm glad to hear you are back to work and trying to keep away from all of the germs there. I do pray that you will soon be able to have your surgery and that all of the things for your time off will fall into place and not be a problem.

Hershey, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I have specifically prayed that she would be safe in her facility. I know this new variant is highly contagious. I hope her symptoms continue to be mild and her isolation period will go by quickly.

Thank you for your nice comments on my flower photos. Hershey, the first two are hybrids of phalaenopsis orchids which are the kind I grow and the last one is a different type of orchid and I don't know for sure what it is as there are several different kinds of orchids and thousands of different hybrids. When I take pictures I don't pay attention as they are not readily marked other than the marker in the soil.

I am having a partial remodel of my master bathroom and I finally got the contractor back to really get started on this project. He is very good and I know he will do a good job but it is going to be stretched out for several weeks and I am experiencing sticker shock at what might be the end cost. This guy said he is used to doing high end jobs. YIKES I tried to impress on him that I don't want high end products. As I didn't want to happen it is turning into way more than I had planned all because I need a new sink and new lighting!!! What does one do without a bathroom for a few days? I only have a quarter bath besides the master bath. I know that sounds like a very minor issue to what all of you are going through.

Take care and be safe.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited January 2022

Nancy, remodel costs are high right now no matter what you do but I am sure you will enjoy your new bathroom once it is done. I had both of mine redone a couple if years ago. You have to be strong and choose the materials you want in your budget. It is hard but a good contractor should respect that and help you find them at other shops if necessary.

It is quiet here now that the movers and my kids are gone. It is time for some relaxation time... I am anxious to get on with my own issues now.

GB I am praying you stay well for your surgery. I can't imagine trying to work through all you are going through.

Hershey I will pray for your mom and that she will endure her quarantine well. My heart hurts for the elderly in retirement homes who have to go through this. They are isolated enough already.

I appreciate a little prayer for my kids who are driving to Colorado. Pray they make it safely. I had a roll over accident twenty-five years ago on a move to Denver. The car flipped three times. Both me and my youngest son (who is on this trip now) were in the car and we both crawled out safely...we didn't even need the hospital. I knew then God saved him for a special reason. He is now a wonderful pastor leading others to Christ and the Kingdom.

Blessings to others who are struggling too right now.

• hersheykiss
    edited January 2022

Nancy, I've been without a bathroom for a few days and have become quite adept at using the kitchen sink sprayer to wash my hair. As long as I can wash my face and hair and brush my teeth, I feel okay. It's a step up from camping. :)

Chris, I will pray for good weather and safe travels as your family makes their way to Colorado.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

Chris, I have been praying for your kids as they drive to CO. Your accident from the past sounded terrifying. A true miracle you both walked out alive. God saved YOU for a special reason as well. You are a light to all that know you from BCO. I am glad your son is with them to help. I also imagine he is a wonderful pastor. How could he not be, he is your son.

Hershey, I misread your statement about those orchid pics thinking you had asked me what kind of blossoms they were. I don't have dyslexia but I was completely exhausted yesterday from little sleep and standing the whole time my contractor was here so was not "all there" when reading posts yesterday. I will continue to pray for your Mom.

So you are without a bathroom as well. I guess we can both "go camping" in our homes. Mine is not a complete remodel so it shouldn't take too long. At least I will still have my warm bed and won't be using a sleeping bag!! Cammie might be an issue so I will be praying for her anxiety level to be tolerable.

I have an issue that I cannot seem to solve. If anyone has any bright ideas or if you run it by the men in your household they might have some ideas for me. My one and only wired smoke alarm in the hallway on my second floor and right near my master bathroom I have had to replace year after year after year because condensation builds up in the cold weather and sets off the alarm and then the detector is dead. I had a guy from Home Depot tell me last year that it is probably condensation following the conduit in the attic to the smoke alarm. So I had a handyman in the spring put insulation over that conduit and obviously it didn't help. So I am now again without a smoke alarm. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Have a good weekend dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited January 2022

I am resting on this Sabbath day. Every year God sends me a word or phrase on which to focus what I need to learn that year. This year the word is TRUST. I don't know how to tell you all how, why or when I receive the message, it just happens. It is not anything supernatural or mystic, just there. Every night for the past week I have gone to sleep with the word tucked into my thoughts and prayers nad it has helped me let go of the chaos and worries of that day. and give them to God. It is never earth or even heaven-shattering; it just is there and I unconsciously carry it throughout the year and many experiences and Bible passages, etc., repeat it. It may seem strange to you but sometimes when I am just barely hanging onto my faith just that word reminds me God is personal and loves me enough to know just what I need.

I pray for each of you today that as you place your trust in Him you will be showered with an abundance of blessings.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

Chris, that is a wonderful testimony to how God works in our individual lives. Obviously your one word for this year is a powerful one. I believe it is at the core of our belief in a God that loves each of us so much that He treats each one of us differently but in a way a loving father would treat his children differently as each person is unique and special. I pray that your word "TRUST" will help you through these coming weeks of challenge as you get ready to move. I pray that it will help you as you and your new medical team find a treatment for you. Rest, and recharge my friend.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited January 2022

Nancy, we have a wired smoke detector on our second floor. I'm wondering if besides moisture, you may be experiencing winter power surges. Have you had any snow storms or strong winds lately? Have you lost power? Did your power company resort to rolling blackouts? Your smoke detector may be getting "zapped" when the electricity is restored.

• bandwoman1234
    edited January 2022

Hershey, thanks for your input. I know it is condensation because when I unplug the smoke alarm (power turned off) water actually is dripping from the wires and the hole in the ceiling after I take the detector down. What I don't understand is all of the dead alarms I have gone through they all have rust colored stains on them after the alarm goes off and won't stop. The first time this happened in the middle of the night I was scared and I didn't know if there could be a fire in my attic so I called the fire dept as the alarm was going off and I couldn't get it off the ceiling. They could see the water dripping out. I guess this is apparently a common thing but when it happens to me my detector is rendered useless. Yes we have had some strong winds and yes, we have had a power outage but it is not caused by the electric company as a forced roll out. I went out yesterday and bought a regular battery operated smoke alarm. I have to have something and until I figure out what is going on. I am not going to keep repeating this same scenario of buying a new device only to have them get knocked out again. The only thing I can figure that is different is I have a humidifier on my furnace when it was newly installed but that has been quite a few years ago. I didn't have this problem the first many years I have lived in this house. I have lived here for over 30 yrs. I wish I could get in my attic but it has no flooring and with my balance issues that would not be a smart thing for me to attempt now. I could see myself falling through the ceiling and ending up who knows where.

Thanks for your input. Power surges might happen. I have surge protectors on many of my electronics. I do know these smoke detectors sense humidity just as they do smoke so who knows. We are in the deep freeze now and that seems to make it worse.

Have a good night.

Love,

Nancy

• intolight
    edited January 2022

Thank you everyone for your prayers. My family all arrived safely in Colorado Springs and the moving van is currently off-loading everything into the storage unit. God is good!

Nancy, even though we live in a sprinkler-system electrically-wired condo with strict California rules we still installed battery-operated smoke alarms near our bedroom doors. They aren't necessary but since we have had some false alarms and our building is fifty years old we don't want to take any chances. I am just cautious that way.

• gb2115
    edited January 2022

In waiting room for pre-op eval/testing. Lots of people coughing and sneezing, and lowering their masks to do it. I am praying I don't catch something else. Winter is a minefield. It's giving me a headache.