Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited September 2012

My company left today. We had a great visit, but I had a rough day today. I have been in the bathroom with diarrhea all day. I've been having bouts of it all week, but today was miserable. I also fell down my stairs today, missing the bottom step because I wasn't watching where I was going. I landed on my bottom, and jarred my back. Now I'm I pain too. Thankfully I didn't break anything. Please pray that I will get to feeling better.

I've missed you all. How are things going with each of you?

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited September 2012
    Dear Lauren, Please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers!! Good news about your tumor markers. Tamoxifen is doing a great job for you and prayers for a long run for you. You have a wonderful and positive attitude!! Rocket,  you dear lady, you have had so much on your plate this past year, but you always ask how everyone else is, God bless you!!! Our Lord feels that you can handle alot, and He is using you as a role model for courage and strength. Now that your company is gone, time for you to rest and just take care of yourself. Prayers are coming your way for healing!!! Start with nice soak in a hot tub, he,he,he!!!! Hugs, Kathy
  • fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited September 2012

Hi everyone,

I've been what feels like more than busy this week. Last week was spent on getting our taxes together.  I didn't realize the deadline for business taxes are Sept 15 with the extension! At least both that and our personal taxes are finished as far as my part goes anyway. 

Before my husband left we were at an antique market and he thought it would be a great idea for me to have a booth because I always thought that would be fun.  I was just asking the lady out of curiosity thinking of a future possibility and she happened to have one available but hadn't posted it yet and he told her we would take it.  I told him she was about to close and she said it was fine. I whispered.....I need to wait until after the doctors appointment.  I felt like it was rude of me so I explained to her about my 3 month check up coming up.  Anyway, he was leaving that weekend and he signed me up that day.  So that's what I've been busy trying to set up this week. 

Rocket i hope you get to feeling better soon.  There have been lots of folks around here with a viral infection having similar symptoms and also vomiting with it lasting several days.  Tomorrow, I will be joining the ranks of those rushing to the toliet as I'm having a colonoscopy Monday morning.  I had no idea what all was involved with the prep!  I have to start at 12:00 and since church is an hour away I'll be missing it tomorrow Frown but next Sunday will be here before I know itSmile at least judging by this week.

How is your arm? I am suppose to start some exercises which I need to do and also go for physical therapy pending insurance approval. He also gave me a prescription for a cream that is compounded in Alabama.  I didn't want to take the pills just to be nice to my liver in hopes it will return the favor.

Paula.....I'm sure praying for your husband.  That's a lot of stress I know.  

Kindergarten, did you tell me once that you are on an exercise thread?  I was thinking someone here did as I rarely look at other threads. For some reason I was thinking it was you.  Maybe it was Jo5.  Anyway, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, is it on the breastcancer.org site or is it elsewhere? 

Hi Lauren, I'm your neighbor here in Georgia. Hope your appointment went well and I'm so thankful to hear that your tumor markers have been showing a great response to what you are doing.  I don't know where you are in Alabama but just in case you ever need to know last month one of the Cancer Centers of America opened up in Newnan, GA.  I don't know of anyone who has ever been to one of their centers but they always seem impressive to me.

Love all you ladies and I am praying for you and your families!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Hi, Fondak, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers for your colonoscopy on Monday. I love antiques, and wish I lived closer to shop at yours. When are you doing it? Yes, I am on an exercise thread!!! It is called Hi, My Name Is: and it is under The Exercise section. It is a great thread with lots of motivation and wonderful ladies trying to get back in shape. Please join us!!!!  Hugs to everyone here on this fine Sunday!!!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited September 2012

Hi Fondak, the prep is the toughest part of the colonoscopy. The rest is a piece of cake. Ive had 3 and get another one at the end of 2013. My mother, her mother, sister, & brother had colon cancer, so we get it checked every three years.

Did you use the stuff you mix with water in the jug? Very salty! I mix it with clear soda like 7-up or Sprite (diet). There is also an alternative prep that's even easier. You use generic Miralax mixed with Gatorade. Just don't use red,orange, or purple. I know you've probably already done your prep, but if you ever have another one, ask your doctor about those.

I pray you get an excellent report.

Blessings

Paula

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Dear Fondak, The exercise thread is under the Forum:Fitness and Getting back in Shape!!! I am due again for a colonoscopy in 2014, Thanks for the alternative drinks, Paula!!! I will definitely ask about those when I have a repeat!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Dear Fondak, The exercise thread is under the Forum:Fitness and Getting back in Shape!!! I am due again for a colonoscopy in 2014, Thanks for the alternative drinks, Paula!!! I will definitely ask about those when I have a repeat!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

• Rocket
    edited September 2012

Hey Ladies,

My digestive issues are finally getting better. The rash on my legs flared up again, and now it is starting to clear up, but very slowly. My arm pain has been awful, and last Friday I went to pool therapy doing gentle stretching exercises in the pool. I was extremely sore that evening. I have a feeling that it will take a long time to show any success because I have a lot is scar tissue. The PT thinks that only surgery will help, and I reiterated that I absolutely will NOT go there with surgery to my axilla. I'll do PT for a fair amount of time, but if it doesn't begin to show improvement, I'm not going to waste good money on it. Sometimes it really does get me down.

On a more positive note, I have been doing well with lower body, weight-bearing exercise. I've been walking the crazy hill in my neighborhood several times a day, and took my dogs for a lovely 3 mile walk in addition yesterday. The gorgeous fall crisp air didn't hurt either. Today I spent more time outside. I love the cooler weather. It got to a high of 61 degrees in the mountains today. Then I ate a fresh, crunchy honeycrisp apple. It was awesome.

I was very challenged by the sermon today on the life of Joseph. Our pastor has been preaching on it for several weeks. He's showing us how Joseph trusted God, no matter his situation, and yet Joseph's father, Jacob, was very pessimistic and couldn't see the plan that God had for his good because to him, the situation looked hopeless. We were challenged to ask ourselves if we were like Joseph or Jacob. I confess, I'm much more like Jacob, the glass half-empty kinda gal. Somebody's got to be an Eyeore! :-)

Hey Fondak, Kathy encouraged me to join the exercise thread too, and the ladies there are very helpful. I too will be praying for your colonoscopy. I had one done this year too, a few months ago, and I don't have to go back for ten years! Yahoo! I pray that yours goes easily for you and you don't have to go back for another for a long time.

I'm really excited as my sister and her husband are coming to visit this coming weekend. I really miss her and can't wait to see her. We will be leaving for Greenville in three weeks and I'll get to hold my precious granddaughter again. I can hardly wait to see her.

Love to all you ladies, and I'm praying for you. Thanks for praying for me.

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Oops, so sorry for the multiple posts, my computer was acting very strangely today. Rocket, you are so patient and strong, Our Lord surely has a plan for all of this, He knows how much you can handle.I am so glad that your sister is visiting you this weekend, treat yourself to something absolutely decadent and delicious to share with your sister!! God bless you!!!

• Rocket
    edited September 2012

I think I'll make that chocolate cake that I gave you the recipe for Kathy.  It's low fat and scrumptious!  I even found some dark chocolate baking chips that I'm going to use instead of the semi-sweet.  I really love dark chocolate more than milk chocolate now. 

I went to pool therapy again today and will have another go at it on Friday.  I'm giving it a fair chance to work, but so far I've only been experiencing more pain and not less.Frown  I went for another walk with the puppies this morning after my therapy and it was so good to breathe in the fabulous fall air.  The trees are changing here and I'm loving it.  It really lifts my spirits.

I pray you are all doing well. I don't know what I would do without you lovely ladies.  You are very special to me.  Have a blessed day!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Dear Rocket!!! You are lovely as well!!! And thank you again for the recipe!! I am going to bake this cake for birthdays from now on!!!! Hugs and blessings to you all!!! Just always remember that we are all doing the best that we can, with the circumstances that we have been given, with the added benefit of knowing that Our Lord Jesus Christ is with us always!!!!!! I can do all things in Jesus Christ who strengthens me!!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Dear Rocket!!! You are lovely as well!!! And thank you again for the recipe!! I am going to bake this cake for birthdays from now on!!!! Hugs and blessings to you all!!! Just always remember that we are all doing the best that we can, with the circumstances that we have been given, with the added benefit of knowing that Our Lord Jesus Christ is with us always!!!!!! I can do all things in Jesus Christ who strengthens me!!!!

• Rocket
    edited September 2012

Amen Kathy - Amen!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Hi, Jo-5!!! Wow, it is always so good to see you on here!!! How are you doing? Any more cellulitis issues?? You always have words of wisdom for that insidiuous disease. I sure hope that you are doing well. God bless you, Kathy 

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

Dear Jo-5, wow, you are such a good mom and grandma. Your daughter will never forget the memory of wearing your wedding dress and how you made it work for her. Have fun with your great grandchildren at the farm. When we lived in Pennsylvania, we visited Amish Country many times. Such a treat!!!! Isn't it wonderful how Our Lord finds ways to keep us busy to make us feel needed, loved and productive. He sure takes care of us. Lots of Love!!!

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2012

I used the alternative version and it was much better than that nasty salty stuff I had to drink for the prior one. Blechh! I found that the colder the drink the easier it goes down. I also ate a much lighter diet the few days before the prep. That helped a lot. I try to make my appt. as early in the day as I can because I'm starving by the next day. On the plus side you're clean as a whistle when you're done. I enjoyed that feeling all the way to Red Lobster. :-)

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Mini, you are so positive!!!! So glad that you got the prep over with, good advice about the colder the drink the better!!!! Love Red Lobster, hope you had a great meal. Blessings, Kathy

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Mini, you are so positive!!!! So glad that you got the prep over with, good advice about the colder the drink the better!!!! Love Red Lobster, hope you had a great meal. Blessings, Kathy

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2012

I got my job! Maybe getting back to work will give a sense of normalcy once again. Thank you for all the prayers!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Congrats on your job, Mini!!!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited September 2012

Yes, JO-5, I am having this problem as well.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited September 2012

Yes Jo-5... At first I thought it was my iPad, then I realized it only happens here. I've noticed an awful lot of repeat posts on here too. Sometimes 4 or 5 times on the same post. I'm glad it's not my iPad, just a little inconvenient.

Blessings

Paula

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2012

I haven't been here for awhile. It's good to catch up with some of you and see new ones getting support. I have finished 12 weeks of chemo-lite (CMF) and 17 of 25 rads. I am doing well, trusting God, but feeling worn out. I will be done with rads next week and then get a break before 12 more weeks of chemo starting in November. I was diagnosed in January. This is such a long road! I am so not looking forward to more chemo with all the SE's, even if most of them were mild. Everyone says how strong I am but I know it's the Lord strengthening me. And, frankly, He's having to hold me up a lot these days. Thanks for listening and praying. I'm praying for you all!

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

HI, Jeanne, wow, so good to hear from you!!!! I have been thinking about you and knew you were in the midst of your journey. Prayers are coming your way for rest and strength as you prepare for more Chemo in November. You are amazing and your faith wil see you through this. Please keep us posted!! God bless you!!!

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I have been away for so long. I have been going through a lot of therapy for my arm and hand. I'm still in a lot of pain. Nerve pain is really quite something. My therapist has taught me exercises to do in the pool and I'm considering continuing them with a monthly membership. I hope I feel the same way in the heart of the winter. We'll see.

Good to see you again Jeannie. You are such a trooper! You amaze me with your positive attitude. God is shining through you like a beacon!

Kathy, you amaze me too. You never fail to lift everyone up. What a blessing you are in my life and the lives of others.

I love and miss all you ladies and don't know how I would have ever survived this journey without all the encouragement, support and prayers. I feel incredibly blessed to know you.

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

Oh? Sweet Rocket, you are so kind and helpful to others!! I just love this thread and I know that we here are all going through the same journey! How comforting to know that we have the common bond of knowing and loving Jesus!!! You are always comforting other and you share your wonderful recipes, he,he!! Love you and everyone here !

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2012

Oh, Rocket, I'm sorry you're going through so much pain. I care about you and am lifting you up to our Father. And Kathy, Rocket is right! You are such an encourager to everyone! I sure need it. I am just feeling sad these days about having cancer, even though I know how blessed I am in many ways. I am just hoping life becomes more than just "cancer" someday for me, which is how it feels right now.