Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited October 2012

Oh Jeannie, I am so sorry. Like Jo, I do understand. My husband has been laid off three times in our 33 years of marriage. It's never easy. I, like Jo, take prayer seriously and will be praying about both the job situation and the burns. Thank you for asking about me. I am feeling better. My DS, DIL and grandbaby are arriving late tonight to spend the weekend, so I may not post as often as I usually do.

Jo I am continuing to pray for you too dear Sister and your DH. I feel so badly for you both.

Here is a quote I like by C.S. Lewis, "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith, but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ."

He stands in our midst. Cling to the cross. I am praying that you will feel His presence all the more keenly.

Love you gals!

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited October 2012

Jeannine, I will certainly be praying for you with all your circumstances. It amazes me sometimes how life works.  Some of the most difficult things turn out to be the best.  I call them hard blessings....things we'd never ask for but we are better because of. I will be praying that this is the case with your husband's work situation as well as the illness you're pressing on through.  I too am hoping you won't need the gel packs by the time they get here.  Not even for a tension headache!

Rocket, I love what you shared from CS Lewis. I love his quotes.  You are always so encouraging.    Corrie Ten Boone is another who has many quotes I like snd have been coming across lately.  Once again, I am amazed when I think of her sister Betsy and how strong she was and how she encouraged Corrie. 

God just amazes me all the time.  I was just sitting on the porch yesterday and thought of how He created a leaf to change it color to become such a vibrant display of beauty.  Then I began to think about the tree being bare through the winter and then comes Spring and God brings forth a new covering of leaves all over again.

Some times I hear things and I wonder how someone can be so mean and then I think about myself and I know I'm really no different before a Holy God and I just think.....I can't begin to comprehend His sorrow nor HIs grace.  The more I see in this world the greater His grace is displayed.  I use to never think of how thankful I am to see another fall or spring and I hope if I see many more I will see HIs grace in it.  What is most wonderful is that if I don't that too will be His grace.

Sorry I'm rambling.  We have just had some really gorgeous days and then you turn on the news to politics and I just see God's mercy on us.

Kindergarten, I wish we all lived closer and could have lunch together every 3rd Saturday.  I just said that to say regularly.  You see how I have to do things these days or I'll forget.  I went to the dr today for labs.  I was suppose to go about 3 weeks ago but kept forgetting because they told me to come in any time! They are concerned I may have rheumatoid arthritis because of a high sed rate.  I thought, at least let me see 50 before we start talking about that lol!  Thanks for sharing about your family.  It's so nice to hear good reports and I will continue praying.

J05  It's wonderful to hear someone speak seriously about prayer.  It's one of the greatest gifts God has given us and something to be taken seriously.  Hope your husband will find some relief with his back as well.

I hope Paula is doing well with all she's facing too!

I love all you ladies and think of and pray for each of you through the week. 

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2012

Dear Fondak, I just love reading your posts and thank you for your concern and prayers for all of us. You are a sweetie!!! I just love this thread and the sisters here, so much love and support. Jeanne, prayers are coming for your dear hubby and your continued healing. Rocket, may each day be filled with less pain. I am sure you enjoy those wonderful walks. Please have fun with grandbaby!!!! Jo-5, prayers for your hubby as well and don't work too hard in the yard. Paula, hope things are going well with you. I am so grateful for all of you. I sure wish we could all rendevouz sometime. Love and Blessings to you all!! Kathy

• fondak
    edited October 2012

Hoping all my sisters in Christ here have a good night's rest!  With love and prayers.....

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

JO-5, I was thinking of your husband this morning as I was rubbing my painful leg. My goodness, how is he coping with the pain.Mine does go away as I walk on it.  Please know he will be in my thoughts and prayers as he goes through this. Dec. 12th can not come soon enough!!!! Love and prayers for everyone here!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

After reading what good shape your hubby is in, JO, my hubby and I are continuing to keep doing our daily exercise. Prayers daily for you and your husband!!! I am praying also for everyone on the East Coast! Turning on the news now. Blessings to everyone here today.

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

Jo-5, so glad that you are safe. A dear friend of mine lives in Westlake, Ohio and she lost power for 3 hours last night. Your exercise sounds great, I call that Clean and Sculpt,he,he,he!!!! There is no better exercise than cleaning your house. Don't work too hard. Continued prayers for everyone out East.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited November 2012

I want to thank you ladies for your words about being a victor vs. a victim. Those words have greatly encouraged me as I have realized I have felt like a victim at times and would rather be a victor in Jesus! It's been three weeks since radiation ended and my foob is now raw. The other parts are healing. At least the foob is numb and my other pain is easing. I saw the MO yesterday and she took one look at me and postponed chemo for one to two weeks. She said starting chemo too soon could actually reignite the radiation! Yikes, no thanks! My other concern: I may have to switch to Taxol if the Cytoxin causes the bladder spasms it did last time. Gosh darn it, after all I've been through, I've held onto the hair on my head thus far. It would be a shame to lose it now. I could deal with it, though, as you have. Plus I don't know how else the Taxol would affect me. I'm getting better at just living this moment, though, since that is what God has given me. Hubby continues to look for work. He does have a consultancy job lined up for December, so praise the Lord! Thank you for your prayers! They mean so much! Hope you're doing well.

• Kindergarten
    edited November 2012

Dear Jeanne! I am lifting you up in prayer right now, asking Our Dear Lord to hold you up and give you the strength needed to finish this challenging and exhausting journey. Jeanne, by this time next year, this journey will be over and you will know that everything that you have gone through was not in vain.Our Lord is so proud of you and wants only the best for you!! You have earned righteousness because of your strong faith!! You will see and feel God's Glory!! So glad to hear that your husband has a great job for December!! You are a great team together! God bless you!!!

• Rocket
    edited November 2012

Jeannie, keep claiming that victory! One word on the Cytoxan, I have interstitial cystitis, and when it was discussed that I would recieve Cytoxan as part of my chemo regimen and that it could make my bladder issues worse, it was a real concern. The onc decided to proceed with it and had me drink tons of water before during and after my chemo session. They also hung a bag of saline first and let that empty into my veins before they started the chemo treatment to sort of flush my system. It worked, because I made it through my chemo without the bladder spasms. It was a huge relief. I will pray that chemo will go well for you. Great news about your husband getting some work for December. Saying a prayer for you both right now.

Hey Jo and Kathy, good to see you! I hope you are doing well also.

Love you ladies!

• fondak
    edited November 2012

Hope everyone had a good weekend!  It was so nice to get an extra hour of sleep this morning.  I have to leave at 8 for church and mornings have been so hard for me since I've started aromasin.  So, this was like a really nice treat for me!

I have never liked the days being shorter but I think it may help me get better rest.

I do have to say I am beginning to have much better days.  I think the weather change recently impacted the pain.  Do any of you notice a difference with the barometric pressure changes?  (I think that's the change...my son always keeps me informed on those things.)

Love you all!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited November 2012

Fondak, I am praying right now for your mornings to feel better. I, too, was grateful for the extra hour!

Rocket, I practically drowned myself with liquids last time I was on CMF. I had a saline drip but sometimes only did half. I will spend the extra time this time and do the whole thing. I didn't get the spasms until the day chemo ended and for a month after. My theory is that I am such a slow metabolizer, the Cytoxin built up, maybe. I still drank a lot after chemo ended but probably not as much. It looks like the MO will lower the dose since I also lost my eyelashes and hair elsewhere and shouldn't have. Maybe that will help.

Kathy, thank you so much for your sweet encouragement! My DH and I are feeling more peace and are determined to withstand attacks and rely on the Lord even more!

• Kindergarten
    edited November 2012

Good morning, to all you wonderful ladies!!!! Hi, Fondak, yes Praise the Lord for that extra hour of sleep. We too go to early service on Sundays. Prayers are coming for you as well for relief of pain. Jeanne, every challenge in life sure brings us closer to our Lord. You and your husband are such faithful and wonderful servants. God bless you all!!!! Kathy

• Rocket
    edited November 2012

Hi Everyone,

Good to see you Fondak! Yes, my aches are worse with barometric pressure changes. The hurricane really had me aching. We got snow and wind from it, and I was really happy to see blue sky again. Praying that yours get better.

Had pool therapy again today. My hand and arm are no better, but no worse either. I will continue with the pool therapy as long as it doesn't give me another bladder infection. being allergic to all oral antibiotics is a real problem for me.

Hang in there Jeannie. I lost even my nose hair on Cytoxan and Taxotere! Praying for you right now that the treatments would be effective and that you will recover quickly with little side effects.

Hope you ladies are doing well. Hey Kathy and Jo. It's always a pleasure to hear from you both.

Take care everyone and have a lovely evening.

• fondak
    edited November 2012

Oh my....I forgot all about losing nose hair!  There are so many things we just don't think about that God blesses us withSmile.  A runny nose without nose hair can pour quickly.

The encouraging thing here is that I forgot about it!  It reminds me of having the boys.  Have you ever asked anyone who has children tell you about their labor?  I hope not.  That's how cancer is for me.  I went through the chemo, radiation, etc and if someone asks me about cancer I automatically think of God's grace and mercy seeing me through and not all the other stuff. 

If my cancer never comes back, I hope that part of all this stays fresh for me.  I hope I don't forget to be as thankful to see another spring as I was last spring.  But see, I have already forgotten how much I appreciate nose hair and today I've had a runny nose.  Maybe forgetting that shouldn't be the encouraging thing.  Even though I don't want to dwell on where I've been, I don't want to forget what God has brought me through.

I don't know if this even makes sense to anyone else.  For me it just serves to remind me to look for God's glory and be thankful.

Love you ladies!

• fondak
    edited November 2012

.....loosing rather than losing nose hairSmile

Goodnight!

• Kindergarten
    edited November 2012

Fondak, you make me chuckle, God bless you!!!!

• Rocket
    edited November 2012

I wish there were things I could forget about this cancer journey Fondak. Some things were really traumatic for me, but alas, I have a very detailed and vivid memory. It does however remind me to be grateful to God also for helping me through it all. He is a mighty God that we serve!

• Kindergarten
    edited November 2012

Amen!!!!!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited November 2012

Hi Ladies

I'm asking for prayer for my DH today. He's at a job fair right now. He's a very experienced forklift operator who's desperately in need of a job.

Please pray for the favor God and man to be over him.

Blessings

Paula

• Kindergarten
    edited November 2012

Dear Paula, I am lifting him up in prayer right now. May your day be peaceful and stressfree, knowing our Lord will take care of you both!!!! Blessings, Kathy

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited November 2012

Kathy thank you very much. Your prayers mean the world to us.

We just got back from voting, but before that, I saw the BS and had another drain pulled. Two down, and two to go. I have scans on Nov. 21, to make sure cancer cells are contained to the nodes.

Blessings

Paula

• Rocket
    edited November 2012

Praying for you both Paula. Hang in there and remember, our God is an awesome God.

• Healing123
    Healing123 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012

Hi ladies, can I join you. I was dx past June and finished chemo heading to surgery 11/15. I am 39, married and have a 6 yr old girl. I am a believer and the dx shook me to my core but I still believe He is a good God. It is good to join family of God here on this board.

• fondak
    edited November 2012

Healing123  Hello and welcome.  It is so true, God is good all the time.  I am so thankful you are His!  The dx was a shocker for me too finding myself at stage 3 after a clean mammogram 6 months earlier.

I'll be praying for you and also praying that God will use this as a testimony for your daughter to see and not only hear of the comfort, hope and strength that only He can give. 

Paula, I am praying for your husband also.  Please keep us posted on how his search is going.  I see your diagnosis is very close to mine and almost exactly a year apart.  I went into the hospital with chest pain on the 25th and was there 4 days before being released.  Aug 5th I was diagnosed.  I also had 3 other lumps which I never even asked what the size of those where.  I'll be praying for you too with your upcoming tests. Your drains are coming out much quicker than mine but I only had two.  Mine were in for like 7 weeks.  I didn't quit taking all my supplements before the surgery until the day before and I hemorraged really bad.  I had to stay in the hospital a little longer.  I found out I was suppose to stop a week before when I went in for my hysterectomy.

JO5 It sounds like your cholesterol is not too high considering they are giving you until Feb to get it down.  At least that's my thinking.

• fondak
    edited November 2012

I just wanted to share with ya'll what happened to me to day.  Out of the blue it popped in my mind it is "losing nose hairs and not loosing".  What in the world made me think of that I'm not sure.  It came right after my son smiled and said earlier someone texted him and said he would be there "e".  Then much later a text came that said "then". 

Anyway, ya'll are so sweet to not jump on the bandwagon of correcting my correction. 

Healing123 I think you are just going to love the ladies here.  They're really kind and encouraging.

• fondak
    edited November 2012

I just wanted to share with ya'll what happened to me to day.  Out of the blue it popped in my mind it is "losing nose hairs and not loosing".  What in the world made me think of that I'm not sure.  It came right after my son smiled and said earlier someone texted him and said he would be there "e".  Then much later a text came that said "then". 

Anyway, ya'll are so sweet to not jump on the bandwagon of correcting my correction. 

Healing123 I think you are just going to love the ladies here.  They're really kind and encouraging.

• Kindergarten
    edited November 2012

Hi, Jo-5,prayers are coming your way for the lowering of your cholesterol! You seem like a very disciplined person, so I know you will do it!! Hey, in the meantime, please view the thread: Hello, my name is, under the Diet and Exercise forum. Lots of support!! We would love your presence there!!! Welcome Healing 123!!!!!! You have come to a wonderful thread, where you will find support and prayer!!! Blessings to you, Kathy

• Healing123
    Healing123 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012

Dear sisters, thank you all for your warm welcome. I pray that all of us have peace that surpasses understanding and needs met by the great I Am who promise will never leave or forsake us. Love, Deborah

• Rocket
    edited November 2012

Hi Deborah and welcome. It's always nice to see new folks join our thread here. The ladies that you will meet here are amazingly supportive and just downright wonderful - filled with the Spirit of God. They have never failed to encourage me.

Jo, I have the same problem with my cholesterol increasing. It used to be a nice healthy 140 and now it's 250 since starting Arimidex. I eat very little meat or animal products too. I am working on losing weight as well, but it's slow going. I joined the thread Kathy mentioned, and it offers lots of positive encouragement there as well. With God's help we can do this.

Great to see all of you Ladies today, and I hope your day is especially blessed!