Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited October 2012

Jeannie, I forgot to mention a product recommended by my PT when I was going through rads. It helped my burnt, blistered skin so much. It's a cooling roll made by Lindi Skin and you keep it in the refrigerator and cut a piece the size that you need, you lay it on top of the painful area, and return the rest of the roll to the refrigerator. Here's the link to the product. It worked so well and felt wonderful. http://www.lindiskin.com/body/lindi-skin-cooler-roll

You may want to mention it to your doc or PT.

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited October 2012

Dearest Rocket and Jeanne!!! I have learned through this journey, that I have  had to hit rock bottom many times before I saw the light and happiness again. I thought this journey would never end and that I would never see or feel happiness again.  I had mixed feelings of guilt and anger. My faith surely was tested again and again. But my family and church friends helped me to keep praying and relying on Our Lord. I am so sorry that you are both going through this. It does get easier, and I wish I could fast forward this whole breast cancer journey for you both. BUt I  know only our Lord can do this. You will both come out of this on top and be strengthened by this journey. I so admire your courage and your willingness to share with us!!! As friends, fellow Christians and BC sisters, we are all here to help and pray for you!!! Always know that your feelings of frustration, anger and sadness are so normal. Our Lord is listening and preparing plans for you. Just take each day and do something kind for yourself. Take this time to heal and totally take care of yourself when you are not feeling well, always looking up and talking to God and asking him for help!!! Love to you both, Kathy

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2012

Thanks, Kathy. It's good to hear from someone who has been through it all and has come out on the other side, compassion, faith and humor intact! Rocket, thanks for the advice. I picked up some lidocaine ointment to mix with the aquafor and it's helping so far. Tomorrow I get my non-irradiated foob at least partially refilled. This is good and bad. It's so comfortable deflated! My port has been bothering me and I realized it hasn't been flushed since August. I remember reading that it should be done monthly...it's always something! My spirits are better today so far---thanks for praying!

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Thanks Kathy. You give us true words of wisdom.

I had an asthma attack last night and had to use my rescue inhaler. Fortunately it worked well and I'm feeling much better today. Thank you gals for loving me and praying for me. Don't know how I would ever manage without you. Glad you are feeling better too Jeannie. Have a blessed day.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2012

Dear Rocket, I'm so glad you are okay!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942
    edited October 2012

Rocket I'm glad you're better today. My sister has asthma pretty bad.

My surgery is Monday the 22nd. Any advice on what I need to take to the hospital? Or to have ready for my return home?

Blessings

Paula

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Soteria, I brought a loose fitting, button front blouse to wear home. Do anything to keep your arms from having to reach up until your doctor says it's okay. At the surgicenter they gave me a bra to wear home with a pouch for each drain bottle. I had one on each side because I had a BMX. I didn't have reconstruction, but I wasn't allowed to use my arms until the drains came out (around 10 days later) except for very minimal grooming needs. They restricted my arm use to promote quicker healing and less drainage. I also brought a separate pouch like a carpenter's tool apron tied around my waist to carry the drain bottles. The bottles aren't large, but look like small plastic grenades. I also wasn't allowed to shower for ten days, but I got around that by filling the bathtub, and having the tool apron with the bottles around my neck so that I could at least wash my lower body. My husband washed my hair in the sink and I sponge bathed my upper body. I was also given little thin pillows to put under my arms to help with pain. Don't freak out if you have drains. I promise they don't hurt when they are removed. I used an unscented sanitary pantyliner and cut both ends off so I had a small square. I then cut a slit in the square to the middle. I placed the opening slit up around the drainage tube where it entered my body, and taped it with a small amount of paper medical tape to my skin. The pantyliner won't stick to your skin like the gauze bandaging does. It is so much more comfortable. You will do just fine,and I will be praying for you. You'll feel better just knowing you are on the road to healing. Let us know how we can help you.

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2012

Rocket thanks for the tips. There's a Hope's Boutique at the Breast Center where I'm being treated. They sell everything a BC patient might want to feel healthy & womanly. Bras, hats, scarves, jewelry, makeup, wigs, camisoles, lotions, foobs, compression garments, etc. Last week I stopped in after my app with my BS and they fitted me for a post surgery camisol. It was delivered to me yesterday. It has pockets for the drains (hand grenades) a cotton ball boob, and zips up the front.

They nurse/practioner told me to shower everyday, but to just let soapy water run over me, not to rub. I guess it just depends on the doctor. I think most say no shower until after drains come out.

I hope you're feeling better.

Blessings

Paula

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Thanks Paula, I am feeling better.  I needed the inhaler and am so glad I used it.

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

I decided to change my profile pic.  I took this picture today with my Ipad.  The other one was over a year old.

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

PhotoHere are my pups Baxter (the black one) and Murray (the gold one).  They are brothers from different litters with the same parents.  Murray is a year younger than Baxter and he will turn a year old in December.  They bring such joy to my life.

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Here is a view from my house in Western NC.  The foliage is gorgeous here.

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2012

Rocket I love the pics, and you are such a cutie!!!

Our trees are beautiful like that this year in Ohio. The past couple of years we didn't have much Indian summer. I felt cheated, but I've really enjoyed it this year.

Blessings

Paula

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

Hi, Rocket!!! Your new profile picture is just beautiful and I love your puppies!! I am so glad that you are feeling better. Asthma is scary! Stay well!!! Paula, I am sure you are feeling a little stressed and anxious right now. Please know we are here for support and prayer!!! Rocket' s tips were great!!! I know you are going to well with all of this, with your positive and Christian attitude!!! Blessings to you all!!!!

• LaurenS16
    LaurenS16 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2012

Wow, Rocket, what a beautiful view!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2012

Rocket, I like your new profile pic. You do look so young! How blessed you are to have such an inspiring view. Your dogs are adorable. I love the names! My little dog is such a comfort to me, too, and he keeps me smiling.

Paula, I'm praying for you. Looking back, I'd have to say that the mastectomies themselves weren't so bad, especially compared to these pesky radiation burns. You are going to do great! You are well-prepared and prayed for. A hint: I did sleep in a recliner for a week or so as getting in and out of bed would have been hard. God will be with you every step of the way, holding your hand and listening to your every prayer, wanting to help.

• [Deleted User]
    edited October 2012

Jeannie thank you for your prayers & encouragement.

I don't know if I saw it on this thread or another one ( I'm on an iPad and its difficult to keep scrolling up & down), but someone said, they mixed lidocaine into their aquaphor. I know that even on its own Aquaphor is an incredible product. I took care of my aunt in my home for over 3 years after she fell in her home. She came back here from rehab with horrible diaper rash after having C-Diff. The nurses at the nursing home tried for 6 weeks to clear it up to no avail, but we cleared it up in 4 days with generic Aquaphor (Walmart). In her case, for diaper rash, I mixed in a small amount of generic mylanta, for the zinc oxide.

Blessings

Paula

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2012

Yes, Paula, I have been mixing lidocaine ointment with Aquafor. It's messy but effective.

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Thank you ladies for the compliments - especially about my looking young.  I'm 52, but feel like 82 most days.  Arimidex pain plagues me daily as well as nerve pain.  It's amazing how much it can wear you down, and yet we trudge ahead with the grace of God.  So thankful for His presence in my life.  I wouldn't last a day without Him.  I hope you all have a great day today.

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

How is everyone doing? It's been kinda quiet on here lately.

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

Hi, there Rocket!!!! May Our Lord ease your pain daily!! Blessings to you and everyone here!!! I would really appreciate prayers for my son and his wife!!! they are going through a rough patch right now, emotionally and spiritually. Lily is their beautiful daughter and our precious granddaughter. Life here in California is so different, so many added stresses, financially!!!! God bless you all!!! Thank you for prayers!! Also, please pray for me to Let Go and Let God.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2012

Kathy, I'll be praying for your son and his wife. My daughter in San Diego is having marriage troubles, too. :(

I am in misery here with the burns. It's so bad that I'm taking Hydrocodone for the pain. It has to be bad for me to take that. H. makes me sick so I have to take a Phenergan suppository first. Fun times! I was thinking today that three months of chemo is looking pretty good compared to this! Now that is a switch of perspectives. Sunday's message was on courage. :). I learned that I would rather live in Gracetown than Victimville. No believer is a victim.

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited October 2012

Hi everyone,

I know I've been away awhile and wanted to let you all know I continue to pray for you.  I think I mentioned I started renting a booth in an antique mall and it has kept me busy.  It's in another town which adds to the busyness???? I first typed business...and of course that's business.  

I didn't expect things to make me as tired as it does.  Still, I can tell I'm improving.  I read it can take 6 months to 2 yrs to adjust to aromasin.  Wide time frame!  I just realized it should be 6 months for me in November.  I try not to count those things so I won't be disappointed if it takes me longer.

Kindergarten, I loved what you shared about your first visit for radiation. I really had a good laugh with that.  I could picture that happening where I went. The two waiting areas were across a wide hall from one another where I went.  I always sat by the door and when there was no one in my waiting room I would begin a conversation with whoever I could find which often left me with one of the men across the hall.  I wanted every minute of my time there to count and I anything I could bring to read would have to be put in my locker and most of what was in the waiting room wasn't adding much to my life at that time!

Rocket, I love you profile pic.  You answered a question I didn't want to ask.  I thought maybe you had a photo from many, many years ago but I see you just look amazingly young!  I'm sorry to hear of your need for an inhaler but thankful you have it.  Is it worse with the change of seasons?

Paula, I am praying for you and your husband.  I hope this will be one of those things in life for him that his heart changes about things.  I don't mean for that sound harsh.  I mean it in a very loving way.  I continue to wish change for my own heart about things....some things I know I'm not even aware of that is there.   I pray that he will not be so bothered by deformities of the flesh and rejoice more in the condition of your heart as he sees Christ alive in you.

I love your desire to be at your church.  I pray that you will draw strength from your family in Christ there.  My church family was a great support to me.  That was an adjustment I had to make.  One of those hidden heart conditions I mentioned above....I learned I could be rather prideful always wanting to be the helper and not wanting anyone to help me.  I've learned a lot from having cancer.

Jeanne, I hope you are feeling better today.  Something you may can ask for is a prescription for a cream that I think is called silvadene....I'm not sure how you spell it.  I'll try to find out for sure.  I had radiation to my armpit and back as well as the front due to having 9 positive nodes.  It probably seems impossible to believe but all this will become, at least it did for me, become a distant memory.  Maybe it's just my poor memory all together (lol) but I will hear someone mention something like pain at the end of raditation, having the drains or more recently a concern about leg pain after chemo and then I think....Wow, I thought I would never forget that but I did.  I mean it did come back to me but at when I was going through it it seemed as though it would be fresh to me forever.  After my chemo, I had days it was a challenge to go up the stairs and I forgot about that!  I'm sure you realize this but thought a reminder might be encouraging. 

I can't believe it's this late.  I try and get to bed earlier these days which is part of why I haven't been on here as often but I do think of you all and continue to keep you in my prayers.

Goodnight!

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited October 2012

Oh, one more thing...Rocket, if you don't mind me asking, what kind of camera do you have?  I need a new one and your photos are great.  Your view is such a blessing!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2012

Hi, Fondak,

It's encouraging to hear that your life is a normal life and memories of treatments and SE's do recede. I can't use Silvadene because I'm allergic to sulfa. I have lidocaine ointment and a bunch of other stuff. I just have to be patient--grrr.

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Great to hear form all of you! Fondak I am using an IPAD 2 to take pictures. It doesn't have as good resolution as a camera, nor can I zoom with it, but when I'm in a hurry it can capture a decent shot. I can instantly email the photo to myself as well and then upload to Facebook and then BCO. As for the inhaler, I need it whenever I get sick from a cold or bronchitis. I don't need it much otherwise.

Kathy I will certainly be in prayer for your family. Financial struggles are tough and I'm well acquainted with them. We are now doing well, but when we were raising our two kids and my husband started college after our first child was born, I felt like a single mom. We lived in Connecticut, a very expensive state with high taxes. He went through 10 years of school to earn his Ph.D. He worked three jobs to pay the bills while going to school two hours away. He slept in the car in the parking lot of the university after working his third shift job prior to his early morning class. He slept about 4 hours a night in order to make it. We lived in some places I would never want to live again. We sacrificed so much. Looking back on all of that it makes me feel ancient! Financial stress can really take a toll on relationships too. My husband and I have been married for almost 34 years. We are reading a book titled The 5 Languges of Love by Gary Chapman. I would recommend it to any marriage, good or bad. I wish my husband and I had known the truths of that book when we were first married. We would have had an even better marriage. It's a Christian book, but the truths can be useful for even a non-Christian marriage. It's a relatively short book too, but jam packed with great information.

Jeannie, you would really like the Lindi Skin gel cooling roll. When I was blistered after rads, it was the only thing that felt good against my skin. It stays in the refigerator and when you want to use some, you just cut a piece the desired length and place it on your skin. It instantly took the pain away and doesn't stick to your sensitive skin. I would have gone nuts without it. I will be praying for quick healing for you and relief from the pain. I'll also add your daughter and SIL to my prayers. I love your analogy of Gracetown and Victimville. I always say, "We can choose to be victims or victorious. I'll choose victorious today!"

My onc emailed me last night regarding my bone density scan. She said she is waiting for more information, but it looks as though I have some bone loss. I'm not sure what additional information she is waiting for, but it makes me nervous. Please pray that it's nothing to be concerned about. I really don't need any additional issues right now. Thanks ladies, and it was so good to hear from all of you. You are truly wonderful encouragers.

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Hey Jo, good to hear from you.  I am praying for your DH.  Pain is no fun!  Hang in there and take care of yourself too!

• Rocket
    edited October 2012

Love you Jo. I'm sure you have been hard pressed with your own pain and dealing with your DH's pain. I'm praying for you both that God will provide healing and perseverance. Hang in there dear sister.

• Kindergarten
    edited October 2012

Dearest wonderful Ladies and Friends, Thank you for your prayers and support. I see them working in our children's lives. Jeff and Liz seemed so happy today!!! Good to see you,Fondak , I sure wish I could visit your booth. I am sure you are doing great.!! Jeanne, prayers are coming your way for relief of the burning pain, and thank you for your support. I am sorry your daughter is having problems and I will pray for her!!! Rocket, thank you for your encouraging story of what you went through and your marriage is so strong. You should be so proud of what you and your husband accomplished through very challenging times. Your story gave me hope and encouragement. My husband and I have been happily married for 37 years and we want the same for our children. We live in different times!! Jo-5, it is always so good to read your posts here. Thank you for your prayers and support. Love all you wonderful ladies here and feel so blessed to come here and share everything with you all. God bless you all!!! Thank you, Lord for the power of prayer. He listens and He answers.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2012

Jo-5, I am clinging for dear life to what you said about God never letting us down. My husband was laid off today with a bunch of other people despite having done such a good job that they gave him his performance bonus when they laid him off! I am so confused. Not only am I wondering if I will get rid of cancer, but I'm wondering what the future holds in every other way. It's hard to feel victorious today, Rocket. I just want to hide in a hole even though I know that once again God wants to use us to glorify him in the midst of trouble. I am still in pain from the burns. It's been 2 weeks. I'm afraid by the time I order the gel pads you recommended, Rocket, I won't need them. I hope.

Jo-5, praying your husband gets the relief he needs and that you are okay, too.

Rocket, are you feeling better?

Fondak, so good to hear from you. Thanks for the encouragement. I can't use Silvadene because I'm allergic to sulfa. I'm using a lot of other things along with the domedoro soaks. I'm supposed to let the air get to it so maybe I'll turn the heat up and go topless later. Hubby is home but I am not attractive! At least on the outside. :)