Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited December 2012

Rocket  It was such a nice surprise to see your post today!  I wasn't expecting but so thankful.  I was praying for you this morning and while I was waiting on the doctor to come in at my appointment.

Jo5  I'm was so glad to see your post too and I'm right there with you on needing to get going on Christmas.  I am so behind.

I am so excited and thankful!  I have a viral infection! I was concerned when my lymph nodes in my neck were swollen on the same side as where the cancer was found without a sore throat.  Then when I called they told me to come in the next day instead of waiting until the 26th! 

She explained that the lymph nodes swelled as a response to the ulcer in my mouth.  I thought they were swollen under my chin a week before and it was like she read my mind and told me the ulcer was brewing a long time before it became inflamed.  It's so bad the right side of my face is swollen and I'm just as happy as I can be about it!  It also explains why I've been so tired.  We don't even have our tree up yet!

Kindergarten The doctor asked about any pain I've been having a I told her about my hip which is improving.  She said exactly what you told me about the pain from aromasin moving around from one place to another.  I thought about you and how much you had already helped me with that information.  Thanks and thanks so much for your prayers!

Alwayshope  Is your bible study with your church or is it for anyone?

Jeannine:  Praying for you and your husband job situtation.

Mini and Susan3, Hope you two are having a good week. 

Love and prayers for you all!

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited December 2012

Dear Fondak! Praise The Lord, for a good checkup with your onc!!! However, sorry that you have a viral infection!! Hope you feel better soon! I have been thinking about all you wonderful ladies here!! Blessings to you all!!!

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited December 2012

Hi Gals,

Still needing your prayers. I was trying to transfer from my scooter to a seat, lost my balance and mashed my sore toes on the hard floor. OUCH!

Thank you for all of your prayers. Love you all!

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2012

Dear Rocket, Yikes, hope your toes are OK. Prayers are coming fast and furiously!!!!

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited December 2012

Fondak - I'm right there with you. This crud is miserable. I don't know if it's because my immune system is comprimised or not, but this thing laid me out flat for a week. I'm just beginning to feel better and I have a long way to go.

I've lost more weight from being unable to swallow and having no appetite or sense of smell. I hate losing weight because I can't gain it back. I know that doesn't sound like a problem to most people, but it is. You may not be able to be too rich, but believe me you can be too thin. Trust me on this one. But I'm blessed to have insurance to pay for the scripts, a loving husband that takes good care of me, and a patient boss. God is good.

Rocket - I hope you heal quickly and are able to enjoy the holidays.

I hope all of you beautiful ladies have a wonderful Christmas. We have struggles but we are blessed to serve a gracious God that walks with us through it all.

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2012

Dear Mini1, I am lifting you up in prayer for healing, strength and weight gain. May you have a Very Blessed Christmas! Our Lord is listening, He is hearing, and He will answer!!!

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Foot is still throbbing, and I'm very groggy and dizzy from the pain meds. I'm also very itchy from the anesthesia and feel like all my muscles are lame. Sorry, I shouldn't be whining. I just don't like being laid up. Thank you all for your prayers!

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2012

Dear Jo-5 ,May your Christmas be filled with many blessings as well!! Rocket, I am praying that by Christmas morning your pain will be eased! God Bless everyone of these beautiful ladies here!!!

• Mini1
    edited December 2012

Jo-5, I can drink Ensure but have tried not to lately because there is so much sugar and so many artificial ingredients in it. I started drinking it again anyway until I can find a healthier substitute for it. I can eat now so I'm trying to drink it between meals for extra calories. I'm gluten free so its harder for me to gain. Plus I can't digest a lot of fat. If I could live on McD's for a couple of months I could put it back on in a hurry. :-)

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Hi Jo,

I have been taking Claritin for some time now. The doctor told me that it is due to the anesthesia. I'll be so happy when it is over and I am feeling less pain. Thank you for all your prayers. I certainly need them!

Love all you ladies!

• fondak
    edited December 2012

I've had you in my prayers Rocket and will continue to do so.  I am glad you are able to keep us posted. So happy to see you have a scooter available to you also....but sure hate to hear what happen with your toes!!!!

Mini I'm sorry to hear of your difficulties. Gluten free does make things an extra challenge.  My son use to have to each that way and it was a challenge.  He had 11 food allergies.  In addition to that he couldn't have any starches with the exception of one baked potato and the only fruit was a small green apple and no preservatives for 6 months.  On top of that whatever he could have, which was very limited, he could only eat it once every 4 days. 

I went to a health food/vitamin store yesterday and saw something for adding weight but I didn't pay attention.  I wish I knew then, I could have read the label and see if it's something you might could use.  I got a brown rice protein powder that doesn't have soy and is sweetened with stevia.  I was really happy about that.  So many times something that appears to be good for you has so much stuff that is difficult to identify what's really in it. I spend so much time reading labels.  Do you have a good health food and/or whole foods store near you?

I hope you feel better soon! 

Kindergarten and JO are ya'll doing alright?  Can you believe I am hoping to get my tree up tomorrow?!  I am so behind and time doesn't slow down for me.  Hopefully, I can decorate tomorrow.

Prayers and love for each of you ladies!

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Hi Ladies,

I have been sleeping a lot due to pain meds and recovering from anesthesia. Today I have just taken Advil for pain, but I'm still so exhausted. Foot hurts, but not as bad as yesterday. I have an appointment with the foot surgeon on Dec. 24th.

I hope you are all doing welland enjoying this beautiful holiday season.

• Mini1
    edited December 2012

We have a small HF store here, but I've been told that the owner is very nice and will special order things for you if they can. My diet is restrictive but at least not that bad. I'm low fat, high complex carbs, low fat, hormone-free meat and I cannot eat anything in a can or a jar that has more than 5 ingredients and I have to know what those 5 are. No corn syrup, dyes, artificial flavors, soy, or anything that ends in "itol" (they're artificial sugars). And of course no wheat or malt. You can eat a whole lot of fruit and most veggies and not gain an ounce, which is fine if you want to lose or maintain, but not so much if you want to gain.

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Hi Gals,

I need some more prayer. I am extremely weak. I break out in a sweat and get very pale and feel almost faint when I have to get up and go to the bathroom. I manage, but then am completely exhausted. My brother-in-law is doing well. My DH is playing nursemaid along with my sister. I can tell my DH is tired. He's also caring for four dogs. Please pray for us. Thanks all and Merry Christmas!

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2012

Dear Jo-5,Continued prayers for healing for your dear hubby and rest for you!!! I am sure everyone misses you as well at church. Rocket, I am so sorry that you are not feeling well. I am lifting you up in prayer right now. May our Lord ease your pain and discomfort and start you on the path of feeling well again. Also prayers are coming for your DH as he is the caregiver for many right now. I am so glad your brother-in-law is doing better. Just take one day at a time, and hoping that on Christmas Day you are all able to enjoy many blessings. Lots of Love!!!!!

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Thanks for the encouragement Kathy. I am just so down right now I could cry. Maybe it's the effect of the anesthesia. I'm just so lonely and depressed right now. Sorry I don't want to drag anyone down with me. I was hoping to feel better by now.

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Thanks Jo! I'm so used to being the one caring for others and I hate feeling so weak.

• fondak
    edited December 2012

JO5 that is so true about fatigue from surgery.  I didn't realize that until after me 3rd surgery last year.  It was much simpler than the first but I was so tired after it for a few days.  Someone mentioned it was from all my body had been through that year with the surgeries alone.  I could see that as I thought about it.

Rocket your husband is probably tired with what just happened with his brother.  I'm sure you situation can help with the helpless feeling we often have when those things happen.  It's not to say we aren't helpless.  Surely every breath, healing and all there is comes from God and we are helpless to that point.   However, it can be good to be reminded the we are still here for His purpose.  All this has been in His timing so don't feel bad about others helping you.  It may be just what they need now.

I will be praying for you, your husband, sister and brother in law.  You all have been through enough to leave you feeling weak and tired but better days are coming!

Glad your husband is improving Jo5!  Love the funny comments you two have shared.

MIni I like the "no more than 5 ingredients"  on a label.  Hope you feel better soon as well.

I just got my tree up yesterday and I should be baking but forgot my mixer quit on me sometime during this past year of craziness!  I am so sleepy now I'm about to get to bed.  I just have to bring a few bags in from the car that I got from the grocery store.  Waiting is not optional because my son will be driving that car to work around 3 in the morning.

Kindergarten hope you are staying well.

Love to you all!

I

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2012

Good morning and Merry Christmas Eve, Fondak and all the wonderful Ladies here!!!!!! Fondak, thank you for your wonderful posts. Rocket, hope this day brings you relief from pain.May you and your hubby and wonderful family enjoy each other and lots of food and fun!!!! Jo-5 may you and your husband enjoy each other and your wonderful family. Mini1, Have a wonderful Day and Christmas celebration. Prayers are coming for healing, rest, peace and strength for you all here!!!!! Dear Heavenly Father, with gratitude we all accept your gift of life this Eve of Christmas!!!!! Jesus gives us hope, power and purpose!!!! New Beginnings for all of us. I am so thankful for each and everyone of you. So wish we could meet in person. I will keep praying and it will happen. God bless you all!!!! Kathy

• Mini1
    edited December 2012

You said it well Kathy. I don't know what to add. I'm asking that God bless you all. Hang in there Rocket. The the holidays on top of your pain and the concern over your DH??? It's no wonder that you are feeling so low. Just remember that this too shall pass, and until then, let God hold you in His loving arms and give you the peace that only He can bestow

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope you all exprerience the blessings of the season.

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Am feeling much better. My DH and I got to spend time with our precious little Erin today. She opened her gifts from us and it was such a delight to see her joyous face! Thank you all for the prayers and your loving support. Have a very Merry Christmas all, and God bless us everyone!

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2012

Dearest Rocket, just wanted to read a few more posts here before we headed out!! So happy to read your post!! I am so glad that you are feeling better!! There is nothing like seeing your grandchild open up presents, brings smiles to our faces!!!! I hope each day brings you less pain!! God bless you!!!

• fondak
    edited December 2012

Rocket I was so happy to see your post!  I hope you all have a wonderful time celebrating the day our Lord became Man!!  Love you all!

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Thanks all you lovely ladies! Have a joyous Christmas day today!

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2012

Hi, Jo-5!! Wish I could help you there!! My hubby is somewhat proficient with computers, but we are need of a new laptop as well!!! I am using his I-pad now. We are not sure what we are going to buy!! Try taking it in to the store where you purchased it and say Help!!!! He,he,he!!!!! I am so with you, on keeping things simple!! Hope everyone here is doing well, Rocket, Fondak ,Mini1, Jeannie57, and all those who have posted here!!!! Lots of Love!!!! Kathy

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Hey Ladies,

Doing okay here in eastern NC. Can't wait to get back to western NC, but need to stay here two more weeks to fit in all my medical appointments. We will be visiting with good friends and our son, DIL and granddaughter and staying with my sister and BIL while we are here, so that's a plus. We do miss being in our own home however.

I overdid things yesterday and had my foot down too long. I have only been taking Advil for pain though. It has been so much better than my previous foot surgery. I believe that is such an answer to prayer, and I am so grateful for your faithful prayers for me. I will try to keep it up more today to let it heal faster.

Jo, so glad that Dan is recovering although I'm sure it was tiring with all the visitors, even though they were very welcome ones. As for technology, I am always a fan of progressive technology, but it is sometimes a difficult learning curve and not always quick. I remember the days of typing on a computer keyboard with no mouse and only a template covering the function keys. I learned to type on a manual typewriter as a teenager, so I try to embrace new technology upgrades even though it isn't fun at first. I use an IPad most of the time because it's difficult for me to type now with my right hand.

Hope all of you ladies are doing well. Have a very blessed day!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited December 2012

Hi, everyone. I just caught up with your posts. Rocket, I have been praying for you, even before your surgery. I'm glad you are feeling some progress. We have so much in common---drug allergies, nausea from pain meds, slow recovery from anesthesia, osteopenia, I'm sure there is more! It takes a lot of faith and God's strength to face surgery. You are taking care of your health and that is a blessing to your family and us.

Fondak, I smiled when you were so thankful for a virus! I'm so thankful it was nothing more. Thanks for praying for us. Jo-5, I have been praying for you and your hubby. I never intended to imply that you need to exercise. Not my intention at all. You have so much to do and I've often prayed for God to give you extra strength, hope and endurance. AlwaysHope (I hope that's right), welcome! We all help and encourage each other in the Lord. Kindergarten, I love your sweet, encouraging spirit.

As for us, we will start the new year without a job, but DH has an interview at his old employer on the 3rd. He is also pursuing another position there as well as expanding his search. We have been through this so often that we have seen God provide for us, something we wouldn't have been so conscious of if he were continually employed. We are continuing to hope and have faith. I never thought I'd be going through cancer treatment AND DH would be unemployed, though! I have had 18 out of 24 infusions. #19 is tomorrow. 5 weeks to go! It can't come soon enough, though I am feeling pretty well, just tired, trouble sleeping and dry eyes and mouth. Not much to complain about! It's more of a mental battle now.

Happy New Year, everyone! I also celebrate a birthday on Saturday. I've never been so thankful to age!

• Kindergarten
    edited December 2012

Dear Rocket, so good to see you, sweet lady. You are such a trooper and always go with the flow. I know what you mean about staying elsewhere, your own home is such a comfort!!! So glad to hear painis lessening. Hug your sweet grandbabynfor me.

Jeannie 57, it is always so good to see you, here!!! You hand your dear hubby have been through so much, but you know our Lord, as soon as you feel enough is enough, Our Lord will make the blessings flow, be ause you are both such faithful and loving servants!!!! My prayers are flowing for you, and all of My wonderful Sisters in Christ!!!!

• Mini1
    edited December 2012

I had the same thing with my computer. I hated it at first, but now I like it better. It definitely took some getting used to. I actualy took a class since I had to kill some credits anyway, but a book from the library would be just as good really. Once I got the new ribbons down I like it better. :-)

• Rocket
    edited December 2012

Great to see you Jeannie! So glad to hear that you are almost done your treatments. It's been such a long road for you. I have another five weeks to go before I can walk in a fracture boot, so I'll be thinking of you and praying along with you for your five-week treatment end timeline. Hang in there Dear!

Kathy, thanks for your continual encouragement! You do have the sweetest spirit! We so enjoyed our time with sweet little Erin today. We bought her a little stuffed rocking horse that talks for Christmas and she giggles the whole time she is on it. So precious! I hope you have had some fun with Lilly.

Jo, hope you and Dan are doing okay! Just prayed for you both. You are always the voice of wisdom and reason. I can't tell you how many times you have ministered to me. You were absolutely right about the post anesthesia depression. I am feeling a lot better in that regard. My foot is better today because I kept it elevated more. Thanks for always letting me whine when needed.

Mini, Fondak, Alwayshope, love you gals and praying that you are doing okay.

Thank you all for your continued prayers. My knee is taking some abuse from the knee scooter, but maybe that's God's way of telling me to stay off it so much. ;-)

Have a lovely evening!