Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited February 2013

Dear Bestock, I have not had a liver biopsy,but there are threads on this board that might be helpful to you. You will continually be in my prayers. God bless you, Kathy

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Dear Fondak, thank you so much for always addressing everyone's needs!! Your memory is amazing and you make us feel so special!! I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your son's friend's mom!! Yes, her suffering has ended and she has become an angel, watching over all her loved ones . I will certainly pray for Scott, and that one day He fully embraces Our Lord! What a wonderful witness your son is to him!!!!

Hugs and blessings to everyone here!!! You are all the most wonderful women that I have had the privilege to meet!!!

• ChristineO
    ChristineO Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2013

My surgery for the mastectomy on my left side is on March 20th and I was just wondering if it was hard, very hard, extremely hard, or okay when you ladies had yours?  I'm not sure what to expect.  

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Dear Christine, I did have a double mastectomy in May of 2005, and believe it or not I went home in two days and stopped for lunch on the way home, my tubes tucked neatly under a surgical bra that kept them intact. Truly, it was an easier surgery than my hysterectomy. I had a nurse come to my house twice a week for two weeks to drain the tubes, but then after that my husband helped me.  I hope that helps, and you will be in my prayers daily. You will get through this and we are all here to encourage you. God bless you, Kathy

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited February 2013

Fondak - I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing. I will pray for her family and for you. I also pray that God will touch Scott's heart to be receptive to the Gospel and to trust Christ as his Savior.

How are things going with your DH and his contemplation of coming home full time? I'm sure it's a big decision. I'm still praying about your onc appointment in March. I hope everything goes well with that too.

Bestock - I too have never had a liver biopsy, but there are other threads that can give you more information as so many others have had the procedure. I'm sure the doctors have ways to control any bleeding. Rest assured I will be praying that all will go well and that you will recover quickly. When is it scheduled? You are going to get through this with the Lord's help and strength.

Christine - I had a bilateral mastectomy and went home the same day. I had two Jackson Pratt drains, one one each side, and was instructed not to use my arms except for minimal grooming as the more I did, the longer the drains would have to stay in. My husband drained the bottles the first few times, but I was able to take care of them myself after that. I was also told that I couldn't lift my elbows above the level of my shoulders. So the next morning, I got out of bed, washed my hair in the kitchen sink, blow dried it, put on makeup, got dressed and began work from home. I didn't use my arms much except while doing my hair and makeup, and even then I was able to do it without lifting my elbows above my shoulders. I just had to bend my head down. I typed on my computer with my fingertips only, barely moving my arms. I was also told that I couldn't shower until the drains were removed, but many doctors differ on this. So I made a little fabric pouch with two separated pockets in front to hold the drain bottles, similar to a carpenter's apron, that tied around my waist. When I wanted to bathe the bottom half of my body, I filled the tub and tied the apron holding the drain bottles around my neck and soaked away my troubles for a few minutes. Two weeks later the drains were removed, which is very good. I have had a lot of surgery in my life (13 in all), and I have to say that the mastectomy was not as tough as abdominal surgery, and I've had four of those. We are going to pray you through this and the Lord will be right there beside you.

Mini - How did your nephew's doctor appointment go? I pray that he is getting good care and answers.

Everyone - I am continuing to pray for all of your concerns, but don't always have time to write a response to each one. Thank you for praying for me as well. My bladder is feeling much better, and my toe began feeling a little better this morning. I've been soaking it several times a day. I so appreciate your Christlike love, friendship and concern. I would appreciate prayer for one other thing. Since we moved here last July 31st, I haven't made any close friends. I attribute this to a number of factors. We have experienced three family member's deaths all within months of each other; I have been laid up since December 19th and have been unable to drive; we live in a place where a lot of people go away for the winter and return in the summer; we ourselves travel for several days out of the month. All of these factors seem to have hindered relationship building. As soon as my foot is better, I am going to attend a ladies' Bible study at church. I don't need a lot of friends, just one or two that I can do things with would be nice. Please pray that God would put one in my life. When I lived in eastern NC, I had family. I have a wonderful DH, but he doesn't do the surrogate girlfriend thing well. That's another reason why I appreciate all of you so much. You are my sweet friends and I care for you all dearly. I wish we lived closer.

Have a lovely day!

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Dear Rocket!! You are such a good friend to everyone here, and I know that because of moving and all that is happened to you in the last year, it was difficult to engage with other women!! We have moved 5 times in the last 7 years, because of hubby 's job, and I know what you mean about connecting with other women. Most of my best girlfriends are still in Pittsburgh and Indiana!! Now, that we are both retired, I pray that we will stay put!!

Joining a church, is the best way to meet new friends who have the same beliefs and interests as you. As soon as you are healed and feel better, you will again form many new friendships! Everyone will see your kindness, compassion and empathy for others!! God 's plan for you right now has been to heal, help your family and adjust to your new home!! I so wish that we all,here on this thread, could meet in person one day!!!

God Bless You!!!

• Rocket
    edited February 2013

Thanks Kathy! We lived in Indiana PA, about an hour northeast of Pittsburgh for three years about eight years ago. Small world!

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Oh, my gosh, Rocket!! My oldest son, Jeff graduated from Indiana University of Pennsylvania, (IUP) in Indiana, PA!!!!We spent many weekends there watching him play baseball, from 1999 to 2004!! Yikes, what a small world indeed!!! Did you go,to the Jimmy Stewart museum??

• Rocket
    edited February 2013

Nope I never did. My husband is a professor and taught at IUP. I also worked there on a grant. Indeed it is a small world!

• Rocket
    edited February 2013

He was teaching there when your son graduated.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited February 2013

I hereby nominate all you wonderful, inspiring, ladies for sainthood.  Such a joy to come here at the end of the day and read your posts.

May our Lord continue to bless you all and grant you the desires of your heart.

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Dear Rocket, my goodness, small world indeed! Patoo, thank you always for your kind words, you are a wonderful friend here!! Wish we all close neighbors, and could share in a Bible Study together!!! Hugs to you all!!!! Kathy

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited February 2013

Hey Ladies. I've come to ask for your prayers again. I just got a message from a friend that she's joining our little club. She has DCIS. It's a brand new diagnosis so I don't have the specifics, but she is a dear sister in Christ and I know she would appreciate your prayers.

Blessings

• Rocket
    edited February 2013

I'll add her to my prayer list Mini.  Do you feel comfortable sharing her first name?

• CCFW
    CCFW Member Posts: 570
    edited February 2014

deleted

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited February 2013

DEar Rocket and all,

I have the procedure this coming Monday. I have had back pain and headaches, but do not know if that means I am worse off than I thought. I just keep busy with work and keep believing that God IS with me by the Holy Spirit at all times, no need to fret, it does no good anyway.

Thanks for praying.

• Rocket
    edited February 2013

Bestock, you have such a great attitude and strong faith. God has shown you His power and it strengthens your faith for the next time you experience trials. His grace is very evident in your testimony. I continue to pray that God will protect you and help you.

• Mini1
    edited February 2013

Her name is Annette. She's such a sweet soul. She will find away to bring glory to God through this.

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Dear Bestock!! I will be praying for you!! You inspire me with your beautiful and positive faith and attitude!!!! God will take care of you!! Love and blessings!!!!!

• ChristineO
    ChristineO Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2013

Thanks for sharing ladies.  Wow you amaze me.  I think I have a low pain threshold but maybe I will do better than I anticipate:)  I am interested in "meeting" Annette (having the same thing, DCIS as myself).  I feel so "new" to this even though my diagnosis was 11 months ago.  I wonder, do you think it is strange that I am only having a mastectomy on one side?  (the side diagnosed).  Did you ladies have the choice to do one or both?  They've never asked me if I'd like both done.  I guess I'd like to hang onto a real one if I can but dont know if that is smart.  I'm 40 btw.  (though I was 39 still when diagnosed).  

• Rocket
    edited February 2013

Christine, because I had three tumors, all in different quadrants of my breast, I had no choice regarding the mastectomy. I did have a choice on the other breast and I chose to have it removed as well. I was age 49 at dx and feel like that was a lifetime ago even though it was three years ago. My doctor tried to persuade me to have only one breast removed, but I declined because I knew I would worry constantly about getting the beast again. Mammograms failed to detect my three large tumors because my breast tissue was extremely dense. I don't know if I would have made a different decision if I had DCIS since it hasn't escaped the duct. Mine was invasive. It's a tough choice.

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Hi, Christine! Prayers are coming your way as you await surgery!! Like Rocket, I had very dense breasts, and from an MRI, my onc saw some suspicious cells in my right breast! My left breast had a 2 cm tumor! , so I had the double mastectomy! It is a tough choice! Maybe getting a second opinion would help. Blessings to you!!!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Dear Mini1, I will lift your dear friend up in prayer!

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234
    edited February 2013

Rocket, you are such a sweet soul and so inspirational that anyone would love to have you as a friend.  I remember back when i was younger not having any close female friends and I prayed for God to help me find someone.  He did and my friend lived just down the street from me.  We met through our little daughters and she just became so dear and near to my heart. 

Since moving to a new neighborhood and attending a small church near-by, I have made 2 new dear friends.  We are happy to be your friends here, but you know you long for someone in the flesh.  God will grant you that heart's desire.  Of that I have no doubt.

• honeybair
    honeybair Member Posts: 234
    edited February 2013

Christene, thanks for sharing your positive mastectomy experience.  I am facing that once my chemo treatments are completed, and I don't mind saying that I dread the thought.  Did you go for reconstruction?  At this time I feel that I do not want to do that.

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Dear Jo-5, So good to see you! Yes, you have had a lot going on!! Praise The Lord that everything is benign with your son in law. Your poor daughter, I have dealt with kidney stones in the past as well, but have not had an issue for over 10 years now. My last one was big and it was surgically removed!!! Hopefully, your dear daughter will be free and clear from now on!! Prayers are coming her way!!

I will pray for your cholesterol issues as well! walking is great!!! I can not take the statins either, I drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water, once in the morning and before I go to bed, and use cinnamon and 1 tsp of spirulina daily. Hugs to you and everyone here!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited February 2013

Hi, Jo-5!!! Yes, this regimen has worked for me! My blood sugar has been normal! Spirulina comes in a powder form and it is found in the supplement section at Whole Foods. I don't mix it with cinnamon, but I sprinkle a tsp on yogurt, a smoothie or juice. It helps with cholesterol, your immune system and your cardiovascular system,etc. I have only been using this powder for about 2 weeks, but I feel good! Oh, and I saw a bag of spirulina chips at Whole Foods too. They did not look too appetizing, however!!! I do put cinnamon on my oatmeal and yogurt!!! I have heartburn too, but lately it has been better, since losing a little weight. I also drink Glucerna shakes, found in any grocery store!! Yikes, so much stuff, I know!! Taking all this stuff, hopefully keeps me mentally fit as well and organized, he,he,he!!!!! Love ya!!! Blessings to everyone here!!!!!

• CCFW
    CCFW Member Posts: 570
    edited February 2014

deleted

• Mini1
    edited February 2013

I have a lot of gastric issues and can't take a lot of things, but I've had no problem with DIM, my mushroom supplement and several others. What I have found is that it is not so much the supplement, but more often the fillers. I had a lot of issues at first. Look for vegan products if possible, and if not supplements without silicone dioxide, titanium dioxide, and and anything that ends in "ose." Be an avid label reader. I have found all kinds of things in "natural" vitamins and supplements. It takes some looking, but there are good productsout there and reasonable prices. I can't take ibuprofen, most antibiotics or calcium, but the others I'm ok with, although I have to make sure I take turmeric in a full stomach.

I always put cinnamon in my oatmeal. I don't know if the oatmeal nuetralizes it or what, but I never have any problem with it. I also add either chia seeds or raw walnuts and dried cherries or currents. It's an easy way to get some good nutrition in your system.

Pease say a prayer for my nephew. He is in the hospital (admitted from the ER). They cannot find any obvious cause, yet he has lost 5 lbs in 2 days, has lost conciosness several times and has an erratic heart rate. He is 6'3 and now weighs only 155. I'll be seeing him in a few days. Please pray God give the doctors the wisdom to discern what is going on with him.

Blessings

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited February 2013

I am still sick, very weak. I am trusting God but I am also discouraged. I have been confined to my recliner and house for many weeks now. I have hope that I will recover, just don't know how or when. Rocket, I think of you and I feel like I can make it through anything! Prayers for all of you. I read your posts and really care about what's going on. I just can't reply individually. Christine, I will say my double mastectomy was less painful than I anticipated. Love to all.