Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• CCFW
    CCFW Member Posts: 570
    edited February 2014

del

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    edited March 2013

Just getting back to reading posts, ROCKET, I don't know what to say,to comfort you, except please yell and scream here and find a punching bag to let your frustrations out, all the while praying to God as JOB did. You have the patience of JOB!! I am so sorry that you are dealing with of all of this. Prayers and more prayers. Blessings, Kathy

• Rocket
    Rocket Member Posts: 910
    edited March 2013

Thank you Sweet Kathy! I needed that verse and your comforting words and prayers. Today will be a very busy one. I will call the assisted living facility in Maine and hopefully get some answers to the many questions that I have. Then I will get my house cleaned, go to therapy, get my hair done, pack suitcases and collapse. We leave early tomorrow morning for eastern NC. I will need to pack all her clothes and other assundries for shipping. From there, depending on the date they are willing to accept Mom in her new apartment in Maine, I will need to get the plane tickets and arrange for Mom's transfer. It's a big job as I have to get healthcare power of attorney in my brother's names, set up new bank accounts and then furnish her apartment before I leave to come back home to western NC. I'm exhausted just thinking about it. I know that God will bring me through this and I will learn lessons along the way. When things seem insurmountable, God makes a way. Thank you ladies for loving me.

• Rocket
    edited March 2013

Hey Jo,

Yes things are complicated because although I have three brothers that could help, one just lost his wife a couple of weeks ago to cancer and he is working 10-hour days. The second brother is out of the country on vacation until the 5th of April, and the third brother is also working full-time. He will be able to help some. I do tend to be a perfectionist, but learned to let that go a long time ago when my kids were small. My house only needs a spruce up, and my DH will do the vacuuming and cleaning the floors. We have two dogs that tend to make the floor a mess.

There are at least seven people with whom I need to coordinate this move and I can't believe how complicated it gets. I can barely think. I have to travel between eastern and western NC as well during this time, so another complication. I am keeping notes of EVERYTHING! I do look forward to Mom being settled as it is where she wants to live. She will have a beautiful apartment all to herself with the assisted living component. I'm excited for her and praying that things will all fall into place seamlessly. I always worry that I am overlooking some important detail. I also have three medical appointments of my own on Thursday and Friday along with one that my sister needs a ride to early Thursday morning. Believe me, if there were others that I could ask for help, I certainly would. Right now we are in the intense coordination stage. If it's coordinated well, things should fall into place, and it will get easier once we get up there. We should know if Mom is qualified by Friday and have her stuff all packed and to the post office on Saturday. Then we'll get our plane reservations and it will be up to my brother to get furnishings for her apartment. I will try to take things one step at a time. Thanks so much for your prayers. I need them!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dear Rocket, Our Dear Lord is smiling down at you, and your kindness and hard work will be rewarded my Faithful and Loving Friend.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Jo-5, Rich and I did downsize alot when we came here. We now live in a 1 bedroom condo. Our kids laugh and say their college dorm rooms were bigger!!! California is so different and challenging real estate wise. But we are so glad that we did it now. Our boys saw how we had to clean out both their grandparents homes. I am so glad that we can come here and support, encourage and pray for each other. Love you all so much!!!!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dear Rocket, please keep us posted if you can, as to how the move is going!! Prayers are coming for you every day!!!!

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited March 2013

Did anyone see Valarie Harper on The Doctors yesterday. She is my hero. Talk about grace in the face of death (she's been given 3 mo). One thing that she said that struck me was don't go to your funeral until you die. It's so easy to give into fear. I read something that said if you want to know if your purpose here in life is over, check your pulse. If your heart is stil beating, it isn't.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Valerie Harper has always been one of my favorite actresses. She is so amazing and what a legacy she will leave. I watched her interview this morning and cried!!!

• Rocket
    edited March 2013

I loved her character, Rhoda. She was always so funny in that role.

We are traveling as I write this to eastern NC for a week filled with medical appointments. I went to PT yesterday and my therapist told me that she believes I have sprained my ankle/foot. It was pretty swollen. I will get the x-ray on Friday. I have to walk on it no matter what.

Today they will complete the evaluation for Mom and we will know for certain if she is approved today. I will then get the plane tickets, and we should be set to make all the other plans and get Mom's belongings packed. Please pray that she is approved and that we can move her prior to April 1st. I want to get back home before April 2nd as my DS, DIL and Erin are coming to visit for four days. I will be so grateful when all of this stress is over. I'm exhausted. I'm just taking things hour by hour and trying not to get ahead of myself. Thanks for loving me. I'm keeping you all in prayer as it helps me also to keep my mind on things other than my current stress level. :-)

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dearest Rocket, You are loved and covered in Prayer!!!

• Rocket
    edited March 2013

Ladies,

Please continue to pray. Things are falling apart here as I have been misinformed over and over. Now they are telling me that I have to fly my mom all the way to Maine for the needs-based assessment prior to her being approved for the facility. They told me the exact opposite yesterday! I am in tears and my mom is going to be so discouraged. I don't even know how to tell her. There is a good chance she will qualify, but it is a huge physical, emotional and financial risk we are undertaking. They haven't even completed her financial eligibility which I had assumed was all ready done based on the fact that they were ready to do the needs evaluation. I am just sick over this! Meanwhile, we need to move Mom from her current facility within two months as we are out of money. Please pray that God would be merciful here. I need help!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dearest Rocket!!! It sounds like this Maine facility is making this transition so very difficult for you and your dear Mom! Just a thought, is there a facility in your area that would be comparable to the one in Maine? I know your brothers are in Maine, but maybe finding a good facility closer to you would be a better solution!! I just lifted you up in prayer!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2013

Dear Rocket, I am sending huge ((((hugs))))) your way along with prayers! I'm sorry it's all so complicated and confusing. We are all enveloping you with a loving embrace as is the Lord.

• CCFW
    edited February 2014

del

• Rocket
    edited March 2013

It has been an exhausting day! I have had three phone meltdowns. I finally have gotten through to the person that can facilitate things and she is taking the bull by the horns.

Jo, the facility here in NC did make the referral, but the very person who is in charge of the needs based assessment in Maine didn't even know her facts. She's the one that told us it could be done over the phone with the referring facility and I have spoken to three of the employees there and they all said the same thing. Today she called me and told me that Mom would have to be there in person. I am Mom's POA, so you can bet I will be accompanying her for that evaluation. The financial person finally got on the stick and called to tell me they have misplaced Mom's copies of her social security card, passport and birth certificate! I had to scan and send all those documents again along with an affidavit of Mom's non-employment status. Imagine, an 88 year-old working! What a nightmare. I am praying that by week's end Mom will be approved financially and then we can purchase tickets and fly her to Maine for the evaluation. The person who has been very helpful stated that based on my honest answers to her questions, she couldn't imagine her not qualifying. Needless to say, I trust no one in this process now! Thank you for your prayers. Please continue. God is in control.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dear Rocket!! I am so sorry, I totally forgot that your mom was already in NC!! Yikes, my memory is awful . I am praying now that everything works out for your Mom!!!!! Continued Blessings, Kathy

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited March 2013

Rocket- It is not uncommon to require an in person meeting. Many people try to get their relatives into AL when they really need to be in a nursing home (to save money). When I was working AL, we always required it; preferably in the afternoon due to sundowners. I'm sorry this has been so trying for you. I know the transition is difficult on everyone involved.

• Rocket
    edited March 2013

Jo, thank you for the prayers. It's what we need most right now. Please pray specifically that Mom's financial approval is completed today. Then I can buy plane tickets. The prices increase daily and I need to purchase them soon, not to mention getting all of her belongings packed and shipped. I am terrified that I will get her all the way to Maine and something will go wrong, and I won't have a place to take her. I also fear that my health is taking a beating. I have barely slept in two days, and I am very fatigued. No time for napping however. Thanks so much for your continued prayers.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2013

Hi all.  I have been off for a bit but continued to keep you all in prayer.  So happy for answered prayer (financial and employment).  Rocket, still praying for the peace of our Lord to be with you as you take care of settling your mom.

Hope everyone who still need prayer gets the desire of their heart as our Lord is amazing.

Blessings.

• Rocket
    edited March 2013

Ladies, thank you all for the prayers. Mom was finally approved yesterday for the financial piece of this move. We now have plane tickets to Maine and will leave on March 25th. My sister and I will return to NC on March 30th. I'll be home in time for Easter. I ask that you continue to pray for safety for our trip, that the trip would not be too difficult for Mom, and that things would go smoothly with passing her needs based assessment.

Yesterday we packed her belongings and are mailing them out today. It was another marathon day yesterday. Today we are driving to Raleigh NC to visit our daughter. I am trying to relax. There are still so many things for us to do. I will be staying with my sister this week to help with last minute preparations for our journey in eastern NC while my DH returns to Western NC. We will be apart for two weeks, but he will drive to Raleigh the day we return from Maine to pick me up at the airport. I am already longing for that day.

I continue to lift you all in prayer. Your needs and concerns are important to me. I can't ever thank you enough for all of your support and love for me, and most especially your prayers. Bless you all!

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dear Rocket!! So glad to hear that the financial issue was resolved!!! Prayers for safe travel and transition are coming!!! Be safe!!!

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited March 2013

Had another chemo yesterday but have low white counts etc. I hope I do not have to have  Neupogen which is expensive, and daily. I feel fine tho.

I am praying for my hair to stay,Kiss a man by me in infusion room had a full head of hair and was been on taxol for some time.

• Kindergarten
    edited March 2013

Dearest Bestock! So good to see your post, and happy that you could have your chemo despite low counts!! Hopefully, your counts will rise and you won't need the shots. I know you will kick that cancer to the curb!!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited March 2013

Bestock, it is so good to hear about you. I have often been praying for you. Your faith inspires me.

Rocket, I am so happy your mom was approved financially and will continue praying that everything goes smoothly from here. Praying for your health and well-being!

Patoo, I enjoy your reminders about God's care for us.

I get my port removed Monday and see the Onc. on Wed. to start antihormonals. I'm trying not to worry about SE's. I'm so drug-sensitive. But thankful to be alive and fighting!

• Rocket
    edited March 2013

Bestock, you're whipping Cancer's butt! You go Girl! I'm praying for you and your support team as well. So glad that you feel well enough to post and keep us updated.

Jeannie, getting your port out will feel good - like another step in the process to recovery. Some people do just fine on the antihormonals. It's easier than chemo for sure! It's a strong weapon in the fight IMHO. Keep us posted. I'll continue to pray that you feel better every day.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited March 2013

Prayers going up for each and every need.  Be still and feel Him.

The Lord is in His Holy Temple watching and blessing and wrapping his arms around you as you travel this road. 

• CCFW
    edited February 2014

del

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited March 2013

Hi everyone,

I have checked in a couple of times this week and have you all in my prayers....so thankful things are coming together for your mom Rocket.  I have been really busy this past week trying to get caught up on things and our church is having a conference this weekend...well, yesterday and today so with these 3 days it's 6hrs driving for me but so thankful to have such a solid place to attend.

I will be checking in and hopefully have more time to sit down soon. 

Love you all

• bestock
    bestock Member Posts: 186
    edited March 2013

dearest Rocket- Jeannie57- Patoo- CC -fondak -kindergarten and all other who have been praying. I am doing okay just fatigue, and being isolated, I am a very busy person and hate to sit around(I do walk tho) hairs are falling but not much yet, my outlook is better as I choose to focus on the positive, and not "murmer"

i have to get MRI Tues to rule out mets to the brain, I am feeling positive about it, but the unknown is hard.

please continue praying for me.I am calling out your names before the Lord today too...