Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited November 2016

Kathseward... A plan that might help your anxiety would be to call the American Cancer Society. They have a program that can put you in touch with a one to one peer support person. This person would have the same diagnosis as you and be out of treatment living a full life. When I was going through treatment I spoke to a woman who had been clear for 15 years. Just the other night I spoke to a woman who had a 5cm tumor, BRCA+ and lymph node involvement. That was eight years ago. We are all terrified at first and anxious always after treatment. You have to find a way to calm down. The odds are really in your favor that you will be fine. Actually, the control you DOhave is to be calm, follow your doctor's instructions, eat healthy, walk, get a good night's sleep and be positive that all will be good.

• amw5
    amw5 Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2016

Did any of you continue to take your regular (daily) vitamins and supplements while you were doing chemotherapy?

Did you change your vitamin and supplement regimen prior to starting chemotherapy?

• nrsteph
    nrsteph Member Posts: 108
    edited November 2016

amw- I started taking everything and then I went to a doctor that specializes...of course not covered by insurance but this is what I take and what I learned...

Curcumin - Terry Naturally, Vitamin D3 - up'd dose after level was tested, B Stress Complex, Calcium, Magnesium, Selenium, Probiotic, Kelp, Algae, Vitamin C, Multi vitamin

I was taking Vitamin A and E too but doctor said "you are taking a lot of antioxidants...chemo is trying to kill cancer cells by oxidizing so maybe don't take those but eat as many antioxidants as possible."  After a discussion about how I have three little ones she said I could continue to take vitamin C.  I would recommend a consult like this to anyone because I kept reading take this, take that, and so on, so I did.  But sitting down and speaking with her was informative and she really helped me focus on how to keep all of my organs as healthy as possible while undergoing chemo.  All in all I felt it was worth the $175 in the grand scheme of things.

Good Luck!

• 6feetover
    6feetover Member Posts: 97
    edited November 2016

amw5 - Welcome to the group! My onco team advised me to refrain from taking supplemental antioxidants while undergoing chemo (same as nrsteph's did)...

• nrsteph
    edited November 2016

oh and Melatonin!!! YAY to sleep.  AND NO PREMEDS (I was on taxol now going to doxil).  However, I miss the energy from the steroid I do not miss the 3-4 nights of no sleep!!

• simplelife4real
    simplelife4real Member Posts: 341
    edited November 2016

Sister-Sister, I'm so sorry to hear about your pleural effusion. I hope the talc procedure kicks in and helps prevent further fluid buildup. My heart goes out to you.

Inspired, it was wonderful to see you post here. I've missed your presence on this thread.

Ally, your hair in your new profile pic looks great. (We always notice the hair after having gone through chemo!)

Cocker, I hope everything turns out to be b9 for you.

Welcome to all the newly diagnosed. I'm sorry you have a need to join this thread, but happy that you found us. I hope each of you have found the chemo threads on this site for the month you started chemo. Those threads are a huge help. I still keep in touch with my old chemo group. We shifted over to a Facebook group after treatment ended and are in touch with each other constantly.

I was having hip pain all summer and was getting nervous that it might be bone mets. I decided to go to a sports medicine doctor first to see if it could be bursitis. I saw him 4 days ago and he thought it was bursitis too. Yes!! I got a steroid injection and an order for PT. The injection didn't take away all the pain, but it is far better now than it was. I have an appointment with my MO in about 10 days. I plan on letting her know about the hip pain, but I'm hoping by then that it will be so much better than a bone scan won't be necessary.

• georgie61
    georgie61 Member Posts: 48
    edited November 2016

amw5 I was the same stage as you, pretty much same treatment plan it sounds like and I feel as optimistic as one can, that we kicked it to the curb. All I can say is plan on this being "the year of cancer" and then you can move on, and you will. My doctor didn't tell me to not take vitamins - I wasn't anyway - but no advice in those regards was given to me as I know it was to others, so who knows?

Cocker, so glad to hear you went to have some fun with your daughter. I'm sure waiting a week or so is not going to change a thing..so have fun! I know you have some challenges ahead, but with the love of your family and pups I know you can handle it.

My heart goes out to all the new people being diagnosed, and to those who are still suffering. Take care everyone and I hope you have a nice weekend!

• gmmiph
    gmmiph Member Posts: 662
    edited November 2016

Hi to all,

I think i saw a post here asking whether or not to continue taking vitamins and supplements during chemo. My advice is to ask your onco doctor about it. Tell them everything you are taking before and after chemo, and wait for their reaction. My MO told me to stop taking my supplements but she added iberet-active for iron/vit c supplementation, (i think it has vit B12 which is important) 20 days after chemo. If my stomach cant accept it, as i have previous problem with iberet, then find natural foods that contain the needed vitamins like in this case, i can change iberet with a cup of moringa leaf veggie which is also rich in iron. i am also planning to continue taking raw turmeric everday thru meals and smoothies. i've been taking it even before surgery and chemo, and i find it helpful against my rheumatic knees. The main thing is to EAT HEALTHY, more fruits and veggies, less meat and sugar.

Greetings to Cocker, Cathytoo, Meadow and all the special ladies on this thread. Thinking about you and sending my prayers and positive thoughts.

Take care everyone,

gmmiph (Gina)

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited November 2016

Well, I was planning on having a good weekend, full of activities, but my immune system has other ideas. I can still go outside, I just have to stay away from people and their germs. It's my birthday weekend too.

Steph, the only premed I took during taxol was aloxi. My MO allowed me to skip the steroids and benedryl.

Happy weekend!

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited November 2016

bc husband beautiful pic of your little one.

Cocker know that we are here for you and praying for negative results. I'm glad you can spend time with your daughter.

For amw5 I only took bit b6 & b12 when I was on taxol to help with neuropathy. I would check with your medical oncologist before you start chemo.

Ugh I caught my first cold since treatment and I feel like I am down for the count. I even got the flu shot before I went on my trip to Ireland and England. I think I may have picked up some flu bug on the flight home. I am cuddled up on my couch under a warm crocheted throw trying to feel better.

Happy fall Saturday to all

• jcpriest0469n
    jcpriest0469n Member Posts: 63
    edited November 2016

Hi to all, I stopped chatting shortly after being diagnosed three years ago. I am feeling better and enjoy the site. My appetite was so awful during treatment, everything hurt my mouth. I am taking my vitamins again with extra calcium. I can eat some spices foods. I hope that helps amw5. I had a pet scan last month and everything was clear. That was a pleasant surprise. Happy birthday to Lovemyvizsia oh I loved ginger tea during treatment.

• nrsteph
    edited November 2016

jc- so glad to hear bout your last scan!!!

• Cathytoo
    edited November 2016

LoveMyVizsla...

HAPPIEST OF BIRTHDAYS

• LoveMyVizsla
    edited November 2016

Thank you!

• gmmiph
    edited November 2016

Hello all,

Just popping in to let you know i am thinking of all of you nice ladies here. I hope everybody is fine.

Happy Birthday Lovemyvisla! Enjoy your day and many more to come!

gmmiph

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited November 2016

Happy Birthday LMV!

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited November 2016

happy bday lmv🎉

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited November 2016

Happy Birthday LMV!!!

Ladies, I'm a bit nervous because yesterday I was feeling of my right armpit and noticed it was sore. Of course I panicked thinking my cancer has spread to the nodes there. That area has been swollen ever since finishing treatment and they think it's lymphedema. I wear a sleeve when flying which we did on Thursday. I can't feel any nodes I don't think. Anyone know if recurrence symptomsthere would cause pain? Thanks!

• nrsteph
    edited November 2016

Luv- armpit pain is what prompted me to get a physical. ..the nurse practioner who did my exam said she didn't feel anything unusual..but ordered ultrsound and that is what discovered cancer. I say this not to add to worry but to encourage ypu to have it checked out. I waited five weeks to have mine checked. However it could be nothing but it would be better to have your mo tell you it is nothing vs waiting! Best of luck I look forward to your it was nothing post;)

• amw5
    amw5 Member Posts: 74
    edited November 2016

LoveMyVizsl Happy birthday dear.

Thx for all the replies ladies. I will definitely check with my medical oncologist on which supplements I should take during chemotherapy.

• Batesburg
    Batesburg Member Posts: 114
    edited November 2016

Luv- I had cancer in two lymph nodes upon diagnosis...pain was not the hallmark symptom for me- in fact, I had no pain unless I kept digging in my armpit! I was able to feel them enlarged, though. The fact that you don't easily feel a lymph node is a good sign. Maybe compare how your armpit on one side compares with the other? Pain sounds to me like something to do with your lymphedema?! But, get it checked out!!!

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited November 2016

nrsteph, I'll admit that wasn't what I wanted to hear, but it doesn't upset me. I'm sorry to see you're Stage IV! I'm coming up on four years since diagnosis so I can't help thinking what if this is the year it comes back/metastasizes?! I don't want to be dealing with it around the holidays for sure! I felt my breast lump on Christmas four years ago and had a bad feeling then. Ugh. Anyway, I'm not home this week so I'm hoping it won't hurt to wait a week to call my doctor or my Onc nurse navigator?!! I'm hoping it's either irritation of some sort or lymphedema!

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited November 2016

Luv, - I seem to feel pain/discomfort very easily from lifting stretching, sleeping in certain positions, etc. All those surgeries have had quite an effect on our bodies. Sad Even when I go to the dr for an exam, I am sore from all the poking around that the dr does when checking around!

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited November 2016

Hope you had a great birthday LMV, and many happy returns!

• Cathytoo
    edited November 2016

Feeling a bit down today. No problems, feeling pretty good. Some days it all seems unbelievable...like a story I heard or a book I read about a woman with breast cancer. Not me‼️ But, today out of the blue, the thought popped into my head that it was indeed me who had breast cancer and will be forever under the threat that it might come back. I know you've all felt this way. It's so damn hard sometimes to be strong and positive.

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited November 2016

Annie: Rest assured that we will all be forming a circle around you on the 10th, encircling you with much cosmic love across the miles that separate us all.

Gentle hugs and many prayers....

Linda

• LoveMyVizsla
    edited November 2016

ThNks for all the birthday wishes!

• LoveMyVizsla
    edited November 2016

Has anyone heard from BanR since her biopsy? Hope she's okay..

• gmmiph
    edited November 2016

For you Lovemyvisla

• gmmiph
    edited November 2016

Lovemyvisla,

You forgot to blow your cake!

Happy Wishes!

Gina