Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Hallelujah! Not too sore this morning, though I'm sure the Ibuprofen, Flexerol (muscle relaxer I use PRN for my neck) and 45 minutes in hot tub had something to do with it!

Just got back from getting all my pre-op labwork done for next Tuesday's arthroscopic knee surgery. I must admit, I'll be a little relieved when I go to the othopedist's tomorrow and can ask if my chest x-ray was normal. Something (a pre-op chest x-ray) that use to be so benign now makes me a bit nervous.

Now I'm putting together 911 info and a mini first aid kit to be kept on my horse's saddle in case I ever need it (which I hope I don't). It doesn't hurt to be prepared and the first aid kit is good to have on hand anyway. I always carry stuff on my carriage, but haven't carried it for riding.

Man, it's cold and windy here in the mid-Atlantic today. Hubby is going to drop me off and pick me up when I go for my swim tonight so I don't have to walk the parking lot with my wet hair.

Hope everyone is having a good day!

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011
  • Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2011

Laurajane - I'll have to ask what her chemo regimen was. I should have been more precise, as she was diagnosed in January 2010 with mets. I know they tried Avastin last year, but it put her in the hospital. It is just so good sometimes to hear that even Stage IV TNs can do really well, I didn't get all the details, lol.

Heidi - love that! Living in the NE, I sure can appreciat it.

• lindaa
    lindaa Member Posts: 13
    edited February 2011

Suze - I would like to know her chemo too.  It is always good to hear happy stories.  I feel like every time I see my onc I get more bad news.  I also didn't know our status could change to er+??  Along those lines, there is a test for circulating cancer cells that I tried for.  Around 30% of TNs test positive for HER2.  Mine came back negative, but it was a shot. 

• Suze35
    edited February 2011

Lindaa - I wonder if that's what she's having tested...she said her sample was being sent to Mass General to see if her status had changed, but I was out of it a bit from my chemo that I didn't follow up. Maybe she meant blood? I'll definitely follow up with her.

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2011

good luck with the chest xray Heidi....geez I hear ya.

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited February 2011

Last chemo done!  Now for surgery in 4-5 weeks, the path report from that will determine if I will have more chemo, or go straight to rads.  The Med. Onc. wants to get another PET Scan, before surgery, to see if the lymph nodes are still active or if it is scar tissue that she is feeling, she could not feel the breast lump at all today!  I will get my neulasta shot tomorrow if the weather lets them get into the office.  They are just across the parking lot from the hospital that I work at so I know I will be there,  I sometimes feel like the postman, nither rain, nor sleet, or snow has kept me from work. ( Now maybe Chemo SE's have kept me out a time or 2, but not the weather.)  

I do hope there is no more chemo, I am so ready to have hair again.

Beccad 

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited February 2011

beccad:  Congratulations!!!!

• beccad
    edited February 2011

MBJ, Thanks!

• Suze35
    edited February 2011

Becca - congrats! Sounds like we are on a similar schedule, my surgery is 3/10. I'd love to hear your PET results - my onc and BS keep saying my nodes are scarred, and no tests for me before surgery. My breast lumps are gone too - that alone feels great, huh?

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

congatulations Suze!

• Suze35
    edited February 2011

Thanks MBJ! I have my last weekly chemo Monday thank heavens!

• beccad
    edited February 2011

Suze, Yes that was the best news. It looks like your diagnosis was about 2 wwek before mine so we are on a very similar schedule for now.

I am hoping that I don't have to have any more chemo at this time.  The Medical Onc doesn't think it will be neccessery if the path reports are clean.  I do believe that I am going to have rads though. She will get me scheduled with the Rad Onc in the main office of their practice (I go to a satellite office closer to work and home that does not have Rads yet), when I go to see her for a follow up after the BS releases me from her care. I have heard really good things about this Rad onc and hope I like her.  I didn't plan it this way but the only male Dr. so far is the PS, and that may change. I don't know why but some of his staff...............well let's just say she was young and probably deals with augmentation patients more that mastectomy and recon patients.  Others on the staff we much more compassionate and seemed to know the right words and had tissues and hugs ready. 

• Suze35
    edited February 2011

Becca - my onc said she was 99% sure I wouldn't need more chemo, but did want me to leave the port in until my path report comes back. She just can't imagine that my nodes are still cancerous as my actual tumors have been unpalpable for 6 weeks. I'm not quite so up about it, I'll believe it when I see it.

I started my chemo very quickly after diagnosis, and haven't had to take any breaks thankfully. I did end up doing 12 weekly Taxol/Carbo, which added a month to my total.

Are you doing immediate recon? I am definitely doing rads with 4+ nodes, so I am meeting with the PS but delaying for a bit. I love my BS - she refers her patients to a PS based on their preferences and personalities. I'm meeting him 2/17, so we'll see if she got it right!

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited February 2011
    beccad:  Congrats!  It's so good to be done with that and yes, hair would be nice... tempted to try Miracle Grow myself!  lol.. j/k   I HATE hats!
  • MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited February 2011
    Laurajane if you do come to LA don't forget to Pm me. Maybe we can go out for lunch and meet . I am sure MBJ would like to join us as well. Let us know....Wink
  • MBJ
    edited February 2011
    Hey Monika, speaking of lunch, see you tomorrowCool
  • beccad
    edited February 2011

Suze35, I will be doing a reduction on the right and a TE on the left.  The BS and PS feel that this will be better since we are looking at Rads, I will have to meet with the ROnc, to get her feelings on having the TE filled or not before Rads. then go from there. I have read that sone ROncs prefer that the TE is filled, and some not,depending where the Radiation sites are located.  So....I guess it will be her call on that.  

• beccad
    edited February 2011

Ok anyone please answer.  If I miss my neulasta shot today, the offices are closed "due to inclement weather".  Will I be okay to get it tomorrow?  This will be the last one, and the only one that was late.

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited February 2011
    Beccad- from what I understand you have 48 hours to get your shot. Your last chemo was just yesterday wasn't it?
  • beccad
    edited February 2011

TifJ, yes last chemo was yesterday.  I was not sure on the timing.  This will be the 1st that I am late for.  Thanks.

• TifJ
    edited February 2011

My last Nuelasta was due on New Year's Eve and the cancer center was closed. They had me go to the hospital my onc. was affliated with. They had a small infusion room where i got the shot. If  you are concerned about geting your shot today- you might call the onc. on call and see if he would send you to the hospital for your shot.

Tiffany

• beccad
    edited February 2011

TifJ,  Duh.....why didn't I think of that?  I work at the hospital, I will call the pharm and see if they have neulasta here on site, If so I will wait until tomorrow, if the Onc office is not open I will see if they can fax the order over for the shot.

Thanks, Beccad 

• TifJ
    edited February 2011

Isn't it funny how the solution to a problem is right under our noses, but it takes someone else to point it out? This happens to me quite frequently and unfortunately it is my husband that points out the obvious (I thinks he enjoys those moments a little too much!!) Have a great day!!

• beccad
    edited February 2011

They do not have neulasta on our campus, but they do have neupogen,  I may have to research that one and see what the onc says.

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

Beecad - I used to get my shot the next day after chemo at my house.  A nurse would come by and give it to me.  Here in Ontario, Canada...the Neulasta shot is given on an out patient basis and is not covered under our provincial healthcare program. The onc writes a script, we get it filled and get the shot out of the hospital.  Because I only had four shots, the nurse came to do it. However, had I needed more shots or if I had of been on Naupogen, I would have needed to give it myself. 

• Suze35
    edited February 2011

Becca - Neupogen isn't as strong as Neulasta. It is usually given over several days, mostly for weekly chemo. I've had to get 2 shots each week for the past four weeks. My doctor described Neulasta as being 10x the strength of Neupogen, and that it took 10 days for it's full affect to kick in.

I hope you can figure something out!

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited February 2011

Becca:  I'd say if you are unable to get the Neulasta, then they may opt to watch your count and do Neupogen.  I had an adverse reaction to Neupogen (tacycardia), and it is given over 3 days or at least mine was.  My counts at that time had dropped to .8 and very (VERY) slowly came back up... like 1.1 the next day, and 1.3 the next, and 2.2 the next, and so on.  So yes, I think Neupogen is possible instead of Neulasta in your case but as others have stated it takes longer to kick in.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

Becca...this may be bad...BUT..RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!  

If I would have had that "opportunity" to skip my last shot I certainly would have..!! Laughing

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Titan- twenty lashes with a wet noodle... bad girl.

I never had to have any of those shots. Guess I was lucky?