Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

kelben- great news. I know it's a relief. I remember having a lot of shortness of breath after treatment ended. It was more of an annoyance than a concern because I often felt light-headed also.

The M&M pretzels are delicious... and probably the biggest reason why those 10 pounds aren't coming off me on the weight-loss thread!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

Kelben - great news!  

I don't think the M&M pretzels are available here in Canada...at least I've never seen them.  They do sound really good and my DD would love them.  She's getting braces tomorrow so I won't be encouraging sweets or candy for a while.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited February 2011

Yeah Kelben! That is terrific news.  

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2011

Yay thanks guys, I'm breathing a little easier tonight, just the biopsy left. 

Heidi, did you hurt your knee?  You better be careful girl, you'll be laid up all summer and really pi$$ed off.     Smile

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited February 2011

Kelben- I'm so happy for you! What great news!

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2011

Fighter- Wonderful that you're finished !!!  Hooray!!

Kelben- Terrific news!

Heidi - video was awesome!  Hope you're not sore.  I would have broken into a million pieces if a horse bucked me even once, much less fell off.  Are you still getting the DC trip put together?  Maybe Fighter can help?

LJane- always love your attitude~

Sugar- I WAS going to mention where I thought you might find M&M with pretzles, but that just doesn't seem right during our diets!!  Yep, they can't be found in your neck of the woods, hehe!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited February 2011

Fighter: - Congrats!  I know the feeling and it's a good one! 

Heidi - wonderful video - thanks so much for sharing.  Hope you didn't do more damage to your knee (or any real damage anywhere!)

Kelben - great to hear your cxr news.  I am so happy for you and just want all this waiting crap to end for you.

And to all the rest of you - hugs and all good thoughts - running off to a meeting I am late for!

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

Fighter - Congratulations!  I am so glad you have moments of feeling normal.  Yes, you are normal.

Kelben - That's the news we want to hear, a clear chest xray.  I wish I had told you before, the breathing problem is absolutely coming from residual chemo.  I think I am still coughing due to residual chemo.  Don't worry, your biopsy will be just as good!!!!

MBJ - Sin free dark chocolate cake reciepe sounds delicious! Mmmmm!

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011
    Yes- DC trip is still planned. Maybe I should repost the info (Copy/Paste) from time to time so people can either grab one of the rooms on hold or make their own hotel arrangements via the links?

Here's a repost of the DC info. I'll repost it...weekly?

Here's a repost of the DC info. I'll repost it...weekly? I'm thinking it best not to create a new thread, since the thought was to plan it for the gals on his thread. However, rather than clog this thread with replies why don't the gals who think they might be going stay in touch with me via PM or send me your email address (some of you already have I know) so I can send out updates/info that way. Does that sound reasonable?

http://www.nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/

http://reservations.washington.org/2209_welcome.html

DC trip Update: April 8-10

OK, based on a day's worth of research and several people's input I have booked four (4) rooms for the Weekend Rate at:

Washington Marriott at Metro Center
    775 12th Street NW
    Washington, District Of Columbia 20005
    USA
    Phone: 1-202-737-2200
    Fax: 1-202-347-5886

HERE'S THE DEAL: I have requested all rooms be in proximity to each other

2 rooms are being held at the $289 per night rate 1-4 adults allowed NO breakfast allowance

2 rooms are being held at the $309 per night rate 1-4 adults allowed WITH breakfast allowance

I will be taking a room with the breakfast option and welcome a room mate to share the cost.

So, there is potential for as many as 16 participants  but obviously 2 per room would be best IMO (for a total of 8).

Right now we have about 6 interested people. The rooms can be canceled with no charge up until 6 pm April 8th. The rooms are being held under my name.

Here's what you need to do:

PM me when you know your plans. The rooms are being held under my name. I will give you my last name and you can then contact the hotel yourself and take one of the rooms and pay for it.

If I don't have commitment to cover 4 rooms I will cancel whatever is left unclaimed upon my arrival that day with no penalty to me.

Is this clear? The hotel is 1.5 miles from the Tidal Basin where the CBF takes place. It is located by a Metro station. Parking is $34 per day but $45 with a van or SUV. I will probably have my husband drop me off and pick me up to save on ridiculous parking fees since everything is so close and driving in DC is typically a nightmare.

If we need more rooms I can probably get them for awhile (and hopefully in proximity to the ones we already have on hold), but his will change, as they do book up as  CBF nears.

I am really excited by this, and I hope you are too! I want to reiterate that anyone not comfortable with these plans has the option of checking out the links I provided earlier and making their own reservations.

See you in April!
  • laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited February 2011

Kelban- Great news. I too have had severe shortness of breath ecspecially when I squat. So glad to know it is a chemo SE. 

MB- Those cookies sound fabulous. Will the recipe work without the artificial sweetener? I absolutly love coconut too.

I'm feeling better today. Last chemo is on Thursday and then the petscan. I just keep telling myself I can get through one more. Hard to believe I've been on chemo since last June or was it May? I had a short break for surgery and I remember that was wonderful. Feels so long ago. I'm hoping to have a break before radiation. I'm not sure how soon they do it after chemo. I forgot to take the claritin and zantac before one of my nueprogen shots and man, what a difference. I won't forget again thats for sure. As we all feel, I'm sure, I can't wait for Spring.

• lrr4993
    edited February 2011

laurajane - I was able to get a month off between chemo and rads.  It was great.  An entire month without a doctor appointment.  I am now in rads with the every single day stuff and I really miss that month off.  Try to get a small break if you can do so without jeopardizing your treatment.

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

I finished chemo on Feb. 8th and started rads on March 22nd so I had six weeks between.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

Yay Kathy!  That is the first step towards an all clear..thinking about you all the time..when will you get the results of your biopsy?

Fighter..YAHOO..nothing like getting done with chemo..it is an awesome feeling... now it is time to regroup and get back to "normal"...won't be the same as before but it is still GOOD!

Heidi..I like the Vikings....I just don't like the Steelers..alot...though I certainly respect the Steeler fans on here...it was an excellent game...I liked the Black Eyed Peas at half time though I think I like their music from the studio rather than live..some parts were..well..just horrible..some parts were good.

As far as chocolate goes it is M&M's with peanuts for me..maybe sharing a Twix bar with the DH now and then...I figure if chocolate cause cancer EVERYONE would have it...

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

laurajane - Just one more chemo, that is wonderful news, you can do it.  I know it gets really hard at the end.  I finished chemo on Dec. 28th and still haven't started radiation, has been 5 weeks now.  The Radiologist says, don't worry about the timing, it doesn't matter.  I am waiting for genetic test results, therefore the wait.   I understand you had your chemo starting in May, and then had a surgery and then continued the chemo.  Yes, it has been such a difficult long 9 months for you.  I can only imagine.  I started chemo on Sep. 21 and ended Dec. 28, so it was only 3 months.

Irr4993 - I will be starting rads soon.  Doc has ordered 23 treatments for me.  How many are you doing?  I am not sure if the boosters are included in this 23 or would there be several more.  I am looking at one month, 3 days.......hopefully finishing by mid March if everything goes well, keeping fingers crossed!!!

• retrievermom
    retrievermom Member Posts: 321
    edited February 2011

Heidi:  Thanks for the link to the you tube clip.  It's fun to watch.  Glad to hear you're ok after your latest adventure.

Kelban:  Good news!

• lrr4993
    edited February 2011

lovely - I am doing 30 rads plus 5 boosts.  Only 4 more rads to go then the boosts next week. I hope anyway.  I am coming down with something - feels like flu.  I hope it does not throw me off course with finishing.  Just when I was bragging about how my new diet and supplements have gotten me through the winter without a cold or illness . . . ugh.

• laurajane
    edited February 2011

Thanks ladies. I have something to look forward to. I hope I also get a break in between finishing chemo and starting rads. 

lovely- You'll be finished just in time for Spring.

irr- I hope you arn't coming down with the flu. Do you take cod liver oil? I've heard it helps fight infection.

I hope you all have had a nice evening. 

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited February 2011

RueMarbeau - I went to Sloan Kettering to get a 3rd opinion.  They have a great alternative to therapy group.  I saw the nutritionist.  Her advice was great on getting me through chemo.  Also, my sister saw an acupuncturist there that helped with her neuropathy after Taxol.  Great stuff.  Good luck!  :)

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited February 2011

YAY KELBEN!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited February 2011

Heidi:  Wow, I am sure you would have earned a 10 with you flying through the air and all and after 4 bucks!!!!  I bet you are sore so soak a good long time!

Laurajane:  Have you planned a celebration for after your last chemo?  I am so happy that you are almost done!!! Hugs.  BTW:  There isn't any artificial sweetner in the chocolate cookie recipe--Agave comes from a cactus and it tastes a little bit like honey but it doesn't spike your blood sugar--you can substitute real maple syrup which has anti cancer properties. 

• kelben
    edited February 2011
    Titan they tell me another week or maybe 2.  I guess with breast cancer they have a lot of steps to go through in the lab, it's not as simple as sliding a chunk under the scope and having a look.  So, that's ok as long as they stay on top of it and I don't disappear down some narrow crack.  I will be phoning everyday once the 1 1/2 weeks is up, so no crack slipping for me....   :o)
  • kelben
    edited February 2011

Sugar, ...  Lets make our own chocolate covered pretzels!!!   How hard can it be?  Go to the bunk barn and buy a truck load of chocolate and dip away.... heh, heh, heh,  my grannie used to say   "where there's a will, there's a way."

• laurajane
    edited February 2011

Kittykat- I'm looking forward to using SK acupuncturist in a couple of weeks. You are right they have so much to offer. I'm also anxious to try their exercise class for stretching and preventing lymphdema.

MBJ- Silly me. I thought spirulina was a sugar substitute. I'm going to buy the ingredients and try making them today. I love that I can substitute maple syrup for agave. I know my daughter will love these too. She tries to not eat any sugar also. After chemo I plan to celebrate the following week in New York. I haven't been there since Thanksgiving. It's kind of my home away from home and it's been to long. I get revitalized there and just love the creative energy I get as soon as I step off of the plane. I'm actually contemplating a trip out to LA also, depending on how long I have before starting radiation. A friend from out of the blue has invited me out to stay at his place to "Heal". I believe warmth and sunshine is a healer, even though I will be sun sensitive from chemo. I know it could warm these bones of mine. I want to travel as much as possible knowing that radiation will be daily. Hopefully after radiation I will be busy with my landscape design business.

Kelban- Again waiting, waiting and waiting. There should be a law against it. I hope the time flies by fast for you and you get  great news.

I hope everyone has a great day. I plan on finishing my painting and trying to ignore the             19Degree temps outside. The sun is shining though and that puts a smile on my face.Smile 

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2011

Fast thread!!

One more chemo left, I can't wait! I am ready for surgery so I can know for sure what's going on inside. I know my breast tumors have gone away, but I hate that I can still feel the tangled mess of lymph nodes under my arm. Both my Onc and BS have reassured me, but...

I'm a salty fan myself, so do love those pretzel M&Ms. I also get super mini peanut butter cups from Trader Joe's. So much goodness, so tiny.

We have 6 blueberry bushes on our property - organic too! The kids love them, time for me to get in on the game.

Kelben - so glad to hear about your chest x-ray. One down...

Fighter and Laurajane - congrats on one more chemo. Yay!

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2011

Also, had good news from my friend who is Stage IV TN - she is NED! She started with bone lesions in January, did chemo and Zometa, and now they have healed. She was so happy because she doesn't have to do chemo for at least 3 months, when she'll get scanned again. She'll stay on the Zometa every 12 weeks. They sent her biopsy to be checked because her doctor (same as mine) thinks she may have converted to ER+. I'm so happy for her.

• laurajane
    edited February 2011

Hi Suze- Congrats on one more chemo. It's a good feeling. Do you know what chemo your friend did along with the Zometa? That is the best news I've heard. I'm so happy for her. Thats fabulous!

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited February 2011

I tried the M&M covered pretzels.  I did not like them. 

Kleben - congates on the good news.  I have been worried about you and the others.

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited February 2011

Thanks everyone!

Sure if any assistance is needed just holla. I will be happy to help. I'll take pictures once they actually start blooming so guys can have something to look forward to.

Suze- Great we need more positive upbeat stories...Kiss 

Kelben: yes, stay on top of things.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited February 2011

Laurajane:  I am so glad your friend has made this offer!  Where will you be staying in Los Angeles?  I am so glad you will be officially celebrating--it is a milestone!