Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

Come to think of it, I tried to get out my last shot but my oncologist wanted me to have it. I really didn't want it, though. 

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited February 2011

I don't know if she will let me get out of it, since the surgery is supposed to be in 4-5 weeks.  I think thay all want to keep me out of infection land if possible.   I will call the on call onc if they are not open tomorrow and see what they want me to do. 

• beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2011

Although I really do not post very often I want to share with all of you my good news.  Had my first mammo since all this started amost a year ago and the preliminary results state that all they see are surgical changes.  I also saw my MO yesterday, great visit everything is going well and I can now have my port removed.  See my surgeon next Thursday to get the complete results of the mammo and then to set a date to have the port removed.

Didnt really think that I would be so excited about having it removed since it doesnt bother me, the only pain about it I found was having to go and have it flushed every 4 weeks.  Hopefully I will be able to have it removed in March when the school I work for is on spring break.  If not it will have to wait until May.

• cmksocal
    cmksocal Member Posts: 163
    edited February 2011

Heidi Too - I'm with you.  I didn't have the shots either.  My onc said if my bloodwork indicated a problem then we would go in that direction.  Otherwise, he didn't believe in automatically giving them.  I also thought I was lucky because they sound painful.

Colleen

• laurajane
    laurajane Member Posts: 305
    edited February 2011

Beetle- Fabulous news! I am so happy for you. I just love hearing stories like yours. I hope to share this kind of good news with all of you someday. Hopefully soon. Congratulations again, Beetle.

Monika and MBJ- there is no way I would come to LA without contacting you guys. I would love to meet you. I'm hoping sometime in March. Warmth and sunshine, Yahoo!!!!

MBJ- I tried that recipe and those sweets are beyond fabulous. Almost like a truffle. I will have to triple the recipe next time. My son was gobbling them up before I could even refrigerate them. I know my daughter will love them too. I know what they are getting for Valentines Day.

I've been munching on a new fabulous snack for those salty food lovers. Called Kale Krisps. I just love them. They are healthy and taste great and easy to add that healthy dark green veggie to your diet. I love to munch for those of you that do also you might want to try them.

1 - Bunch Kale (About 1 lb) stems discarded

1 - Tablespoon (Approx) olive oil (I like the good stuff)

5 - Cloves garlic peeled and slightly smashed

2 - Tablespoons sesame seeds

light sprinkling of sea salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Soak kale in warm water and rinse thoroughly, cut into strips, dry thoroughly,( I use paper towels but a salad spinner would work great). Mound up on cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt, sesame seeds, garlic and olive oil. Fluff around until everything is coated. Again fluff out until it is in an even layer. Bake for 5 minutes and flip, turn and fluff etc. Bake an additional 5 minutes (I did an extra 7 minutes). Take out and remove garlic, cool and store in an airtight jar (if there is any left, LOL). I just love these. try them.

Last chemo tomorrow and I am so happy! 

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2011

congrats. you guys.  Smooth sailing sounds like a good idea for you now.

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited February 2011

Beccad- DO NOT SKIP THE SHOT!!! 5 days after my last chemo-my port catheter got infected. My onc. said having the Nuelasta saved me from being hospitalized with the infection.  Not saying that will happen to you, but you just never know-better to be safe than sorry!

Tiffany

• TifJ
    edited February 2011

Sorry, after I submitted previous post- I realized that was a bit strong! My intent was not to scare you! Sounds like you have everything under control!

• laurajane
    edited February 2011

Beccad- I go to a clinic on Saturdays and Sundays for my shot. My onc told me about it because the onc is closed on week-ends. I agree with Tifj, I don't think you should miss one they are accumulative.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited February 2011

I never had a neulasta shot.  I sometime wonder if I dodged a big bullet.  My onco does not give them in my age group (40) unless needed (i.e. fever, etc.).  

• beccad
    edited February 2011

TifJ, and Laurajane, That is kinda my thinking too.  Having not missed any so far and working at a hospital, I feel that I probably need as much ao a booster to keep down any infections especially since we are trying to get the surgery scheduled for 4-5 weeks from now.  Plus I am allergic to most of the antibiotics (especially penicillin and sulfa drugs).   

• TifJ
    edited February 2011
    Beccad- Im allergic to sulfa too! Now after this infection, I developed a rash from Keflex- so I can't take that anymore.
  • gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited February 2011

The Neulasta shots were not painful at all for me. It is a tiny needle and I did not have any se's from them. I got an infection ( just sinus or something) during chemo and my counts were way down. However by the next DD chemo day, they were good to go. So I'm glad I had them.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

OK..I was bad..I KNOW that the neulasta prevented infections.....and yes..I could have turned it down it if wanted too..but I didn't...

Seriously though..it's Becca's last one..RUN BECCA RUN   HA HA..

• laurajane
    edited February 2011

Hi Gillyone- I had signifigant SE's from Neulasta until I was told to take a claritin and Zantac 1/2 hour before and that helped me so much. I still feel real achy not the painful to touch me kind of pain..

Tifj andbeccad- I'm allergic to sulpha too. I used to have rashes from penicillian but I was told that that can go away or get worse.LOL. I've just decided I won't get sick. LOL 

• beccad
    edited February 2011

Yeah I like to think that by being around all of the hospital germs for the past 20+ years tht I have built up an immunity to them, but why take chances, I have never had to have chemmo before, and have never had any of these SE's before.  Titan, I know you are BAD, but we all love you anyway. LOL.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited February 2011

Laurajane:  I am so happy for you to be having your last chemo tomorrow!!!  Yay for you!!!  That is such great news that you are coming in March!  Monika and I met up for a late lunch today and it was just so nice and I could have visited for hours! 

When I was little my mother used to make something similar to my chocolate coconut cookies but with a cup of sugar in it, sweetened coconut, toll house chocolate chips-you get the picture.  At Easter she made them into "nests" and put Cadbury Eggs or Jelly Beans in them!  I don't dare make more then the recipe calls for because I would eat every last one!  My DH and I fight over them!  Thanks for the Kael Krisp recipe.  They sell something similar at Whole Foods-yummy.

• slcst12
    slcst12 Member Posts: 73
    edited February 2011

Hello ladies!
    It's been a while since I posted, but I wanted to thank everyone for their nausea tips and answers to my questions from Jan 18th when I had my first chemo.

I've completed 2 rounds of A/C and the nausea is really bad. Oh and the constipation too. I had to buy a saline enema (sorry if TMI) for the first time in my life. It was brutal.  I'm down to 111 lbs (my normal is about 118) but I hope to gain it all back this week--beforem y next chemo on the 17th.

I have 6 more chemos to go, 2 of the A/C and then 4 taxol. Can you ladies please give input if Taxol is any easier? (I know everyone is different...but the A/C is just awful for me).

Thanks!

• laurajane
    edited February 2011

MBJ- I sure hope it works out to come in March. It would be great to see you both.

SLCT- Taxol was soooo much easier on me than AC. Actually the Carbo/Gemzar is easier than AC also. I did develope my chocolate cravings on Taxol though. You can get through it. Only 2 more to go. I also have gained back over half the weight I lost on AC. I was told enemas were not good because of infection risk. Talk to your onc about senecote3 or another laxitive. MBJ suggested a magnesium one I think also. Take care of your self I'm sorry it is so rough on you. Remember you CAN DO THIS! It will be over before you know it and you'll be able to move on.

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited February 2011

MBJ, that sounds yummy! Any chance you could post the recipe?

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited February 2011

I ended up giving myself the nuelasta shot wasn't toooo bad, but I know I didn't release all the contents into my arm. Hey I HATE needles. I started to skip my last one too since it was my 'last one' then I got scared that I might catch a cold or get sick.

SLCT: take a stool softener daily or every other day until treatment ends. That's how I got through. :)

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

SLCT:  I used Mag07 purchased at a health food store or on line.  I took it the night before with my steroids 4-6 tablets and it just blasted all of the hard stuff (TMI!!!) and it was much more effective then stool softeners for me.  It was recommended by my nurse.

Riley:  I posted it a couple of pages back!

• kelben
    edited February 2011

Good news guys... my biopsy came back negative... just inflammation, fibrosis.  Holy cow I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.    thank you all for your positive thoughts.... they worked!!

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited February 2011

Kelben - that is awesome news! Yay!!!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

Kelben - whew!  What a relief.  So no recurrence of any kind?  I hope that's the case and that's great.

• kelben
    edited February 2011

nope no recurrence I'm okay......... geez.  Thanks Sugar

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

YAY KELBEN!!!! WAHOOOOOO!!!!!

• minxie
    minxie Member Posts: 239
    edited February 2011

I've been thinking about you, kelben - what wonderful news!!!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited February 2011

Kelben - that is such great news!!  I am so happy and relieved for you.

• TifJ
    edited February 2011
    Oh Kelben! What wondeful news!!! Go out and celebrate!