Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited September 2010

kad22 - I can't believe that you have been going through the vein with 4 AC and now 10 Taxol!  Wow!!!  My sister went through dd ACT and had to get a port after her 2nd AC.  Since we have similar bad veins, I told my onco I should get a port before chemo.  I was originally supposed to get dd ACT like my sister, but my onco switched me to the weekly Taxol after my counts dropped on my 4th AC.  Thank goodness I had the port.  I hope everything goes well for your last 2 Taxols.  Congrats on almost being done with chemo!  :)

On constipation - I have struggled with this for a good portion of my life.  I've been diligent about eating salads.  Now that I'm on chemo, my onco has forbidden me from eating lettuce (too much bacteria) and raw veggies!  Ughhh... Everything has to be cooked or peeled.  My constipation has been so bad on chemo.  They told me to take Senacot S - didn't even touch it!  So, they gave me Miralax, which helps a little (and I mean a little).  I ate an entire bag of dried fruit from Costco (over the course of a couple weeks - not at once - LOL).  Still nothing!!!  So, I just ate prunes - one normal size bag from the grocery store.  It seemed to help.  But seriously I am getting scared about it, too!  I'm going to try and be more diligent about eating more fiber (veggies, prunes, whatever) and taking the Miralax.  I don't know what else to do.  I can't take herbs, which sucks because the tea from Dr Natura always works for me!  Ughhh...

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited September 2010

Monika - I am right there with the moody thing.  i take the steroids at treatment then for two days after.  I call it my roid rage days:)  My husband stays clear, does not say much and knows when the tears start flowing just give me a hug because there is no logical explanation for them except steroids:)

• PauldingMom
    PauldingMom Member Posts: 392
    edited September 2010

Great Great News Cathy!!

Kitty Cat-I only know what works for me. First I try prune juice in the morning followed by a mug of warm tea. If that doesn't get things moving I take Correctal at night. I know it's hard when your on chemo but try to walk at least a little every day. Hope you feel better real soon.  

• Meece
    Meece Member Posts: 10,618
    edited September 2010

KittyCat.  I bought the whole Costco bag of dried fruit recently, too.  I got sick of the flavor, and it didn't do much.  Yesterday i finished it up and was so thankful.  I find dehydrated apricots or prunes work best.  Not good, but better than the others.  My doctor has me on Miralax and a Colace daily.  It sure makes for a miserable time.

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited September 2010

Good morning ladies, I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one that gets moody.

Jenn3 :,funny you mentioned about the ice cream. I am not an ice cream person, but I did have some ice cream and was a bit better.

JenC : My kids and husband staying clear from me also. :)

Today I am going to see the surgeon about MX . I hope this is the right decision. 

Have a great day Ladies.Smile

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited September 2010

Kittykat:  You should really re-consider trying the MagO7 for constipation.  It is the only thing that has ever worked for me and I can't imagine going through chemo without it.

Monika:  Good luck today.  Did you ever get in to the picture forum?  I have been asking around for you who else to contact but no word yet.  I will keep you posted.

• Jwatrlily
    Jwatrlily Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2010

MBJ,

Since I have constipation issues anyway, what is MAG07 and can I buy it at my local pharmacy over the counter?  Thanks.

Juanita

• Meece
    edited September 2010

Yes, MJB, explain what it is.  Milk of Magnesia makes me nauseous.

• starling
    starling Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2010

Hi Ladies,

Had my 2nd chemo yesterday and was blessed to be given a sample pack of gold, ie  Emend pills. What a difference! No nausea to speak of, i wasnt really hungry, just a little headache and very sleepy. So made for a rasonably good day. Today I am much the same, minus the headache. Oh and minus the hair too. Started to be able to pull it out in clumps so it had to go. Buzzed it all off, actually a relief. 

And I don't offer this as a suggestion to you girls with constipation. But, on the day before my second chemo, when I felt really human and wanted to treat myself, I went out for chinese for lunch and had Chicken Lo Mein, fried rice and an egg roll. Half hour later - well, no more constipation. Good for a laugh anyway! 

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

KittyKat - my youngest daughter has an illness that causes her digestive system to be slow at times, causing severe consitpation.  Her gastro dr told her to take probiotics daily by either eating it in the yogurts like Activia or buying the probiotic pills.  I decided to take them during chemo and it helped - however it takes about two weeks, but with daily use it does help regulate both the constipation and dirrehea.  I found that I wasn't as consitpated and the diarrehea episodes weren't as severe.   Good luck and hope you feel better - that is a miserable feeling.

Barb - so glad to hear the Emend worked for you - it worked wonders for me too!  Now that you have shaved your head you won't have "bad hair days" for a while.  (((hugs)))

Monika - I am lactose intolerant and don't eat much icecream, but craved it during chemo - thank goodness for soy icecream. 

• Meece
    edited September 2010

I got the magic sample pack on my first chemo, but my insurance didn't cover the $400+ price, so I went without on chemo #2.  I was miserable.  NP made sure that I had a sample pack for each of the rest of my chemos, much to the dismay of her nurse who refused to pass on the message that I couldn't get the rx filled.  Her nurse stated that they are strictly to give one sample per patient, period.

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited September 2010

Had my LMX yesterday and am home today. 2 nodes tested - both clear. Yay! Now to just wait for the final path report. I have had surprisingly little pain - I'm just a little stiff and sore and have had no pain meds since surgery. I have some tylenol if it gets worse, and have a script for Darvocet, since they said the pain could increase on days 2-3 post-op, because the swelling is at its peak then.

I have two drains to futz with, and have someone staying with me to see how the dressing changes go. So, we'll see.

• MonikaV
    edited September 2010

MBJ: Yes I did get to the picture forum . Thanks. Did not see yours??? But got to have an idea of what to expect.

Saw the doctor today . Need to see the plastic surgeon next week. But looks like the end of October/beginning November I will have the MX. He said I am not a candidate for nipple sparing surgery and I will need to use the expanders. :( (I was hoping I did not have to ). Oh, well . I guess I am going to have a long road ahead. Need to prepare myself physically, mentally and specially spirutually. I am a basket case! 

• Pamelajo
    Pamelajo Member Posts: 124
    edited September 2010

Cathy.........congrats on the good news!!!

Your fingernails grow so fast because chemo kills fast growing cells, and our fingernails are made of dead fast growing cells.......voila!!! 

Jtwailly (I know that's wrong, but you get my point, for now, till chemo brain sets in, which seems a little snippy, but it isn't intended to be that way, it's a chemojoke)  Glad you got some answers from your Onc.  You are doing the same regime I did.  I just finished my chemo (for the second dang time, thank you very much Mr. Recurrence).  I got through 9 or 12 of the taxol (abraxane in my case, allergic to taxol), before neuropathy set in, which is farther than my dear oncologist thought I would get.  He has such faith in me NOT!!!  It is all very doable......hair falls out, but it will come back.  They will monitor your heart closely.  TN is a fast growing cancer which makes chemo WAY more effective in killing it than our dear er positive sisters.  You may experience:

constipation

sore mouth

fatigue

hair loss (oh yea, you'll have this around day 17 or so after the 1st dose, you'll notice your scalp getting sore a lil bit before it starts to come out)  Biotin will speed up regrowth.

gas (nuclear type, dangerous for all involved)

mood swings (also dangerous for all involved, and of the "hard to maintain my never have murdered anyone streak" species)

loss of taste buds..........extremely helpful when you are too fatigued to cook and must rely on husband or teenagers to make dinner.  Anything will make a turd, however, I prefer it not to taste like a turd at first bite.  Eventually, you will just be happy to make a turd, hence the constipation........thus the vicious cycle.

chemotardation.  .....use this very irritating yet powerful excuse whenever you feel like it.  Dole it out as a free pass card.  Get too involved in Facebook games and burn supper?  Oops, chemo brain.  Foot feeling a little heavy and you find yourself pulled over by Joe Law for doing 75 in a 45?  I'm sorry officer, I am on my way to chemo and this chemo brain won't register numbers on that thingy there (it's an speedometer, but act like you can't think of the name).  Forget your DH's birthday, CHACHING.........chemobrain.  Use this to your advantage.  There are so few upsides to cancer, might as well grab hold of the little nuggets of yay when you can.

All in all though, just know, you are loved here and we will help you in any way we can.  Know in your heart that you will get through this, and you have thousands of women to lean on who know exactly where you are when you get there and if we put our collective chemofogged brains together, more than likely we can help you find your way back.........or at least to a really great hotel.

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited September 2010

Pamelajo:  Toooo funny! Thanks for the laugh.

It doesn't seem right that you have to fork out $400 so you won't be nauseous while enduring chemo.  Jeeesh.  Meece, good on your NP!

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited September 2010

PPamelajo..you crack me up....I wish I knew you when I went through chemo..it would have helped! I, too, drive like a bat out of hell....always wanted to pull my wig off and freak out people....

Barb...dang it..do something about getting that Emend for each chemo....beg your insurance..whatever....it is just not right that you can't get it..that is just BS! 

Hey Riley..good to hear from you and that you are hanging in there..like PJ says we are all in this together..fuzzy brains and all! 

Monika...same to you...we are all basket cases here..that is way we all get along so well! 

Good for you Meece...getting the Emend.

I thought Emend was standard??? where I went it was just a given and they helped you out if your insurance balked...what the heck?????

You all get wigs pretty much free didn't you?  It is just the same as a fake leg or arm...

• JenC
    edited September 2010

Pamelajo - that was the best explanation and description I have heard for this.  Thank you for the laugh, I really needed it but it is oh so true:)

• starling
    starling Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2010

My insurance explicits excludes wigs ("cranial prothesis") so people won't even bother to try. Ok, I can handle that some, but the Emend - that really pisses me off. I asked if they would give me another sample pack next time, but they wouldnt say. So unfair.

Well, good night ladies, (((HUGS)) all around. One more day closer to end of chemo...

• MonikaV
    edited September 2010

Pamelajo: I am still laughing from your posting. I needed that! I just had a big fight with my inconsiderate teenage daughter and was really upset and angry. After reading your post the smiles return. Thanks for that!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited September 2010

barbbasile - my benefits plan through work covered a portion of my "crianial prothesis" but I'm also covered under my DH's plan and his doesn't cover anything toward wigs either. He's a teacher...I guess whoever developed their benefits package determined that teachers don't need wigs! 

• Lynn18
    Lynn18 Member Posts: 284
    edited September 2010

Pamelajo:  I must also say thank you for making me laugh with your post.  So funny, and so true.  Yes, the chemobrain excuse has come in handy for me. .  .  .

Riley702:  I am glad you have not had much pain, hopefully you won't.  I am finishing up chemo and then I will have surgery in a few weeks.

Monika:  I will probably have surgery the same time as you.  I am doing number 9 taxol today.  

Just 3 more after today!  I am trying to prepare myself also, for everything ahead.   

Have a good weekend everyone, I will be up all night tonight but maybe I'll get some housework done? 

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited September 2010

Apparently legal assistants don't need wigs either, as my BC/BS would not pick it up either.  they have picked up everything else though, so I can't really complain.

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited September 2010

congrats riley!!!

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited September 2010

Thanks, Michele!

• Meece
    edited September 2010

My mother bought me one, and my sister bought me another.  But when I wore one out I got a free one.

• JenC
    edited September 2010
    LRM216 - I am a legal assistant/office manager to.  My insurance paid for a wig but at this point (my hair is about 1/4 inches long) I go ala natural at work.  Clients have had no problems with it and have actually not made comments except for stay strong and things like that.  Its whats on the inside that counts not the outside.  I do wear a hat most of the time outside (baseball caps usually) or to restaurants, but I figure my office is like my second home so why not be comfortable.  Smile
  • MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196
    edited September 2010

once my scalp was covered completely, I went commando at work too.  My hair was super short and I definately looked odd.  I didn't care tho'.  Before that, I wore a scarf.  I bought a wig but HATED it. I only wore it a few times (like dropping DS off at camp or a work meeting outside my dept where people didn't know I was sick).

riley~ How are you doing? Drains are a PITA, aren't they! When do you get your final path rept?

I have surgery Monday.  I'm a little nervous.  I guess that's normal... However, I'm really excited to get these TE's out! 

{{{{hugs}}} for all of you!! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

xxoo

• Kelley41
    Kelley41 Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2010
    Michele S - Good luck with your exchange surgery on Monday.  I had mine done about 3 1/2 weeks  ago and am so much more comfortable.  I never realized how much that I hated the TE until they were removed.  Recovery time is a breeze - atleast it was for me and I hope it is for you also!  Best of luck....
  • jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited September 2010

Pam - you are so funny.......I tend to have a strange sense of humor and have had to laugh at the craziness of this all.  MY DH just yesterday asked if I take any of this seriously......

Michele - good luck with your surgery, I know you'll do fine.

Monika - (((hugs))) my daughter and I had some terrible fights after I finished chemo. I was told that it was normal - she was angry and needed to get it out.  Those were some of the worst fights we ever had.  The good news is she went back to her normal self and the fighting stopped after a few months.

Barb- My onc did tell me that insurance companies don't like to pay for Emend and didn't give it to me on my 1st round of chemo, but I landed in the ER with severe vomiting and had Emend for each chemo after that.  Can your onc put up a fight with the insurance company?

• kad22
    kad22 Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2010

Hi All,

Warning - have to complain!!

This week has been one of my worst weeks yet! I feel sooo off - like I have the flu with some bad DI and now I have a terrible sore on my tongue! Did anyone get sores on their tongues?? What to do about those? I have been trying to rinse with warm water and salt but not working at all - could hardly sleep even with taking two sleeping pills last night! I feel like sh** today!

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend and those still going through chemo a SE FREE one at that!! Kelli