Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• juliempw
    juliempw Member Posts: 191

Deborah, I think I'm more excited about the bra show (and using you and Val's brilliant minds) than the KA show!!  How sad am I!?  I agree an appointment is a good idea.

Julie 

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

LOL Julie

• Lilah

Wait -- what bra show?

• juliempw

Trip to Nordstroms with Val and Deborah as our guides.

Julie 

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Excellent idea for the Nordstrom's run, girls!  You know, of course, to count me in on THAT adventure!  I spent the day working in the bra dept ("Intimate" to be corporately correct).  It was pretty slow, so I had the chance to check out some bras.  I'll pull the info together and post it in the next day or so.  There are some Chantelles and Simone Pereles that have just the tiniest bit of lining, which might even work pretty soon after exchange - a time when an unlined bra is especially warranted because of its increased support. 

• Lilah

Julie -- lol of course (I am losing it here) -- yes that will be FUN!  Someone needs to PM the Ta Ta schedulers :)

• my560sel
    my560sel Member Posts: 399

Deborah: An "F" cup !!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, I need to sit down !............lol

Count me in for Nordstrom's ! And if you're still asking...I say "appointment". This is going to be soooo much fun!!!!

Terri

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Nordstroms is not going to know what hit them...

• Lilah

LOL Deborah

• MooreTennis
    MooreTennis Member Posts: 90

It would be worth going to Vegas just to experience Nordstroms with all of you.

• MooreTennis
    MooreTennis Member Posts: 90
    vmudrow - I love tennis; however, with an 8 and 12 year old I don't get to play as much as I would like. We relocated almost 2 years ago and I am just now getting back into league play - love it, love it, love it!!!!
  • Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

So I think I'm a little confused about the whole post exchange bra thing.  My PS, who doesn't have much to say about anything just said to wear the surgical bra 24/7 for 2 weeks.  After reading this thread I want to do whatever it takes to get the best long term results.  So at this point do I go do the Nordstrom's fitting?  Someone said don't buy any expensive bras while you're dropping and fluffing.  I guess I got the impression everything at Nordstrom's was expensive.  So what should I be wearing at night until then?  And what should I be wearing during the day?  If my implants are fairly small (375 cc's) do I still need the underwire as recommended?  Sorry, just not sure what I'm supposed to do during the drop the fluff months.

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Kate, I think I went to Nordstroms to be fitted at either 2 or 3 weeks post exchange.  I might have had a little swelling then, but they measured me then at 34D and that is still what I am (though they try to get me into 32DDs but that is just too tight).  I felt weird spending $60 on a bra when I wasn't sure about the swelling, but having a nicely fitting bra early on really feels good.  Each PS has a different set of instructions about bras - you should ask yours for advice.  I ended up wearing an Anita MX sports bra at night, and nice underwires during the day.  My fav brands are freya, Natori and just recently Wacoal.  (BTW I have 397 cc implants, and the underwire does provide support)

Man, I think we'd freak out the staff at Nordstrom if we arrived en masse!!  I was just there on Sunday and I had a sweet young girl helping me - I could tell she was still learning, but she insisted upon putting every bra on me herself...

• juliempw

Kate, I also got fitted about 3 weeks post exchange and my size did not change though the shape did.  I wore the post surgical bra 24/7 for the first 2 weeks as recommended and continued it at night after I found a bra.  I'd say wait 3 weeks, buy a decent bra (not too much money), and then buy more bras a few months out.

Julie 

• Kate33

Kristinka and Julie-  Thanks!  Sounds like good advice!  My PS is pretty apathetic about the whole thing but I'd rather be cautious.  Looks like Nordstroms- here I come!  (Well, next week anyway!)

• whippetmom

Love your new avatar Julie!  You are bootiful!

• whitedove
    whitedove Member Posts: 121

We ought to invest in their stock.

• Sandy3170
    Sandy3170 Member Posts: 16

As many of you know, i have my foobs too close together to wear a bra (confortablely).  So, with the great help of whippetmon, I purchased this "v" bra that helps to keep the foobs separate and at the same time keeps them from migrating to the armpit (a problem i also had with my TE).

I'm coping the link here in case someone else has the same problem.  There are pictures in the picture forum as well..

http://www.makemeheal.com/mmh/product.do?id=35231

She also found this Wacoal bra that helps to keep the foobs separate. 

http://www.herroom.com/Wacoal-65115-Body-by-Wacoal-Seamless-Underwire-Bra.shtml

I'm planning to wear the "v" bra at night and the Wacoal bra to come to work.

THANKS WHIPPETMON!! 

pd. Sorry the short message, now that i'm working again it's hard to keep up with this site and the picture forum. :-)

• whippetmom

Here is another bra which separates the breasts - has sternum support and separation:

http://www.herroom.com/Goddess-2066-Comfort-Zone-Soft-Cup-Bra.shtml

Might have to keep an eye on Ebay for that one or find it elsewhere as it has been discontinued...

And this Freya would work also...

http://www.herroom.com/Freya-4002-Underwire-Sport-Bra.shtml

• vmudrow
    vmudrow Member Posts: 415

MooreTennis - I didn't play much tennis when my kids were young - but started again when they got a bit older and I had more time.  I missed league this year because my surgery was in May, but played now twice this week - and realized how much I have missed it - and the great friends you make through playing.  Hope you find time to play!!

• Goldieknox
    Goldieknox Member Posts: 33

Hello,

I was going to ask about bras that separate the breasts in the middle, but I see some suggestions have already been made. The Warcoal bra looks fabulous but I have no idea where I could go around here to try one on. I just don't feel comfortable blindly guessing the size and ordering on-line and since the left has a bigger projection then the right, guessing so far has brought me nothing but tears. I have found a store near me (an hour away) that carries Freya and Fantasie. Is there a style made by one of them that is similar to the Wacoal Body Seamless Underwire 65115, that separates, has underwire, keeps migration under the arm pits to a minimum and is kinda pretty or at least not industrial strength?

I had purchase a Freya Pollyanna 32F (after reading up on it here) right after my exchange (June 1st) that fit perfectly before the swelling went down. Now, not so much, not in the cup and the wires in the middle don't go high enough to give complete separation so when I lean forward slightly, the two foobs kinda meet in the middle and the skin tents up some(not a lot, just enough to annoy the crap out of me) so I thought wearing something that separates the two might be a fab idea until my next PS appointment. Am I on the right track with this thinking? Or is there something better that could be suggested? 

• whippetmom

Goldie:  Let us work on this for you.  How about Chantelle?  Do you have access to Chantelle?  This one would work....

http://www.herroom.com/Chantelle-2101-Amazone-Underwire-Bra.shtml

Any other brands available near you, such as Elomi, Aubaude or Anita?  I believe I have seen these brands on UK websites....Anita has some really nice bras that encapsulate and separate and provide good sternum separation...

• whitedove

anyone have any good inventions with side sleeping?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 25
    Best bra makers ever!
  • whippetmom
    whitedove:  What works best for me is a Champion sports bra one size too small and a rolled up sock in the cleavage.  Not a pretty sight, but it does the trick. The sports bra keeps the girls up and supported all night.  I use the "Bear Paws" socks I got in the hospital prior to the MX.  Or a roll of gauze would work also.  You want about a 1.5 to 2.0 inch circumference with your cleavage roll.  Speaking of "roll"....who out there is rolling their eyes right now?  Hmm? Laughing
  • whitedove

Whippetmom, It's sports bra meets bear paws socks.

• Goldieknox
    Goldieknox Member Posts: 33

I think I know where I can go to try on Chantelle and Elomi. I did a quick internet search and it appears they might be at two stores located about an hour from where I live and worth the trip if I find them. If I ask around I might be able to locate stores that carry the other brands too. Are there certain style numbers that I should be looking for in the other brands you suggested? I hope I can find the Chantelle one you linked to. It's really cute and if it fits right, than it's exactly what I'm looking for. I found the Freya bra I had previously purchased at a store called Bravissimo, maybe they will carry some of these other brands as well even though they are not listed on their website.

Thank you so much for trying to help me out with this! 

• Kate33

OMG, totally forgot about my "Bear Paws" socks!  Didn't realize they were national!  Mine were purple!  

• whippetmom

Goldieknox:  I'll work on this for you when I get back this afternoon!

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Deborah - I just added a section at the top of our thread for those bras that separate.     Do you think it's worth me taking the time to put links in for all the styles?  I didn't want to push a certain website, so initially just put style numbers.