Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Yes, Kate!   I tried a gazillion....my PS initially had me in an underwire sports bra PLUS a wireless over it for added compression.  That was NOT comfortable....and breathing at rest was difficult, let alone when you're in the middle of a heavy workout!  I absolutely love the Max Out by Bendon http://www.herroom.com/Bendon-73-408-Max-Out-Technical-Support-Sports-Bra.shtml - it's an intensely supportive bra, has straps that can X-back (now getting into it takes a bit of practice, but I can do it now in the dark), and really keeps the foobs in check - no bounce - honest (I actually asked my class to tell me if I bounced!)   I also have the next step down by Bendon, the Action Underwire http://www.barenecessities.com/Bendon-Action-Underwire-Sports-Bra_product_BendonSport75909_,search,.htm  It's still pretty darn supportive, but cut a bit too low for good compression.  I also have a couple Donna Karan ones, which are very supportive, though not as good for high impact stuff:   http://www.barenecessities.com/Donna-Karan-Intimates-Signature-Underwire-Sports-Bra_product_DKIntimates35137_,search,.htm

(btw, I have pics of me in all of the above bras on Lilah's bra thread on the pic forum). 

I'm not a fan of the bras by Moving Comfort, but a lot of people do like them.  They run really long in the straps for me and too small in the cup.  Might be worth a try, though.  Somebody will probably pipe in and share about them.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Val:  On the Donna Karan sports bra - did you need to go up a band size?  Everything I read on herroom suggests that it fits on the small side.  Your experience as well?

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

Thanks for the suggestions, Val, and for the links....really helpful!

• val61

Yes, I think it does run on the snug side.  I have the 32, which I wear on the loosest hooks, and it's definitely tighter than my Bendon's.  I guess I never really thought about that.  Good point.

• Giselle7
    Giselle7 Member Posts: 70

Morning All. Thank you for this thread. Tons of info. I am heading for my exchange next Wednesday and I think that I should look at the Larissa bra at Soma, buy it and bring it with me to the hospital. The bra I was sent home with after my bilateral was shameful. I want to start to feel a little sexy again. Is there anything wrong with that!!! Can I judge the size before the surgery with my expanders on or do I have to wait?

Giselle 

• Kate33

Giselle- Did you check with your PS about that?  Mine sent me home in a surgical bra I had to pre-purchase (they measured me in the office) and I had to wear it 24/7 for 4 weeks.

• Giselle7

Kate - I was thinking this was too good to be true. I will most likely have to wear whatever they put on me. Oh well...wishful thinking!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Giselle -- it's only temporary!  Then you can head to Bras 101 thread and join the addicts :)

• val61

Giselle - check with your PS before you buy a bra.  I came home from my exchange wrapped from collarbone to the bottom of my ribcage in foam tape - very much like I came home after my bmx.  That stayed on for over a week 'til my drains came out.  If yours does want you in a bra, you need something VERY soft.  If you don't need a surgical bra, you might try the Soma "Spa Yoga Bra" http://www.soma.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=43&pageId=1&productId=100043756&viewAll=&prd=Spa+Kahala+Yoga+Bra&subCatId=cat40135&color=&fromSearch=true&inSeam=&posId=8&catId=cat4809276&cat=&onSale=true&colorFamily=&maxPg=3&size=- not super supportive, but soft - or the Warner's non-padded "Elements of Bliss" (style #1003) http://www.herroom.com/Warners-1003-Elements-of-Bliss-2-Ply-Wire-Free-Bra.shtml  That's the bra my PS put me in when he removed all the tape. 

Before you know it you'll be joining us in our latest addiction!

• Giselle7

val - I can't wait to check out all the bras discussed on this site. I am ready to be addicted. My husband will have to cope!

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966
    Val baby, you got it! I will do the : fill in the blank : for us on the VS no underwire.........
  • Kate33

I thought I read awhile back that most insurance companies will cover the cost of your post-mastectomy and lumpectomy bras.  I haven't called mine, yet, but was wondering if most of you found this to be the case.  How much do they typically cover and do you have to go to only certain stores?  Is there a time limit on when you have to purchase your bras?

• Lilah

Kate -- my insurance covered the bras my doctor gave me (two surgical bras, one after each surgery, and then a third that was like a post-post-surgical bra).  I never bothered to see if they would cover the new bras I bought. 

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Kate I was actually wondering the same thing so I called my insurance company on Friday. I was told they NJ BCBS only covers the bra if you need a prosthesis.. This will not be my case. I also called Nordstroms and the woman in the lingerie department told me she knows Cigna and Aetna are the two insurances they bill at the time of purchasing. Other insurance companies may cover but you to check with the company first.  In this case you would buy the bras and pay upfront and then submit it to the insurance company for reimbursement.

I actually am having problems with my insurance paying the bill for my reconstruction and expanders. They are claiming that this is cosmetic... Ridiculous. Yet they had no problem paying for all the other bill in the past 5 months...

• Kate33

jkz- It is a federal law that insurance companies have to pay for all reconstruction.  It is called the Federal Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998.  You can find out all about it at breastreconstruction.org

Here is what it says-

I have been diagnosed with breast cancer and plan to have a mastectomy. How will the Women's Health Act affect my benefits?Under the Women's Health Act, group health plans, insurance companies, and HMOs that offer mastectomy coverage must also provide coverage for reconstructive surgery after mastectomy. This coverage includes reconstruction of the breast removed by mastectomy, reconstruction of the other breast to produce a symmetrical appearance, breast prostheses, and treatment of physical complications at all stages of the mastectomy, including lymphedema (swelling that sometimes happens after treatment for breast cancer).This law sets a federal floor so that women can obtain breast reconstruction following mastectomy even if they live in states that do not require insurance companies to provide this coverage.

It's bad enough you're having to fight cancer without having to fight your insurance company, too. 

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467

What a wonderful and resourceful thread - so glad I found this!

I'm wondering what to do during the TE phase when I'll be uneven.  Is there a thread that someone can recommend for that?

Also, my insurance company paid a portion (90%) of my 2 mastectomy bras.  I'm in Canada and I just paid for them up front and then sent in the receipt.

I'm going to call and find out what they will provide for after reconstruction.

• Lilah

Hi Marie!  I wore a zip front sports bra (Underscore, sold by JC Penney - do they have those stores in Canada?  If not, you can google and buy on line I believe).... it was stretchy so the natural breast (which was large) got the support it needed but the bra also fit well over the TE; in fact in the early stages of filling the TE I wore an insert that I got from my hospital breast center -- it had stuffing in it and I pulled out stuffing as the TE grew.

• val61
    Question:  has anyone tried those nip covers that you can wear with a bra?  I'm really most comfy in my Freya Pollyanna bra, which is unlined, but the new nips still show a bit much for me.  I'm thinking that to keep would-be gawkers at bay, I could maybe try those things.  Please share your experiences!
  • whippetmom

Val: I wonder if they would work when the headlights are always ON, if you get my drift.  My neighbor uses them - she has had an augmentation - and she thinks they work very well - but again - her headlights are off most of the time.  Just wonder if they would lay flat enough or pucker.  That could be unsightly.  Order some inexpensive ones to try - like those from Sense Lingerie.

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

Kate, Thanks so much for this information. I really appreciate it. My secondary insurance sent me an EOB stating that this was for cosmetic purposes only. Ridiculous. I love you ladies! I learn so much from all of you :)

• whippetmom

BRA RECOMMENDATION:  For those of you who need to wear a wireless bra and need something breathable within LE guidelines, the Amoena Jada mastectomy bra gets good ratings.  I found one in my size on Ebay - new with tags - for $12.00 and it retails for $48.00 on herroom.com.   Another positive feature is that it has lateral supports - side supports - to keep the implants from migrating towards the armpits.

http://www.herroom.com/Amoena-2149-Jada-Seamless-Soft-Cup-Bra.shtml

On Ebay, just type in "amoena jada" - no quotes. [Tried to link but it would not work.]

There seem to be a lot of different sizes offered....You might wait until I get mine and I will post a report on it re: sizing and benefits.

• Estepp

Thanks Deborah... Off to check it out. I am having a TERRIBLE time with my LE. I cannot be going to the PT twice a week.. She charges 400.00 an hour... EEEKKKKKKKKKKKKK

So I wrap myself. All this summer heat and sun ( WHICH I LOVE) is keeping my arm... large..

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I have decided QUALITY of life is what I am going to choose now. So, I suffer LE because of it. So be it!

I will keep looking into wireless bras... I am off to Ebay to look at them.... OH how I hope they are not UGLY........heheeheheheheeeeeee

• Lilah

Aw Laura -- I was thinking about you today and wondering how it was going.  Why doesn't your insurance cover the PT???

• Estepp

it does Lilah... 80% of it( after my 1000.00 deductible.. Dh and I have paid out about 14000.00 in the past 2 1/2 yrs... for me to live. This year we will add to that... DS bills.. so far... 1300.00 out of pocket... and growing,, :(

I just cannot pay anymore. Our liquid money is going away.... and NO ONE here in my group of family and friends even thought of having a fund raiser for me... you know... to help with expenses. Everyone see us as... " better off" and not needy for help.. WHATEVER! I SOOOOOOOO could have used the help... just like ALL OF US CANCER patients!

I suppose everyone thought Dh and I " had it covered"

• Estepp

it does Lilah... 80% of it( after my 1000.00 deductible.. Dh and I have paid out about 14000.00 in the past 2 1/2 yrs... for me to live. This year we will add to that... DS bills.. so far... 1300.00 out of pocket... and growing,, :(

I just cannot pay anymore. Our liquid money is going away.... and NO ONE here in my group of family and friends even thought of having a fund raiser for me... you know... to help with expenses. Everyone see us as... " better off" and not needy for help.. WHATEVER! I SOOOOOOOO could have used the help... just like ALL OF US CANCER patients!

I suppose everyone thought Dh and I " had it covered"

• Lilah

Aw Laura that just sucks I'm so sorry... I pray your LE gets better FAST so you can get your financial groove going in the right direction again.  In the meantime, I hope you have a FAB Thelma/Louise weekend :)

• val61

Gosh, Laura.......I'm SOOOOOO sorry your family is dealing with all that......I think your situation is way more common than most people think, though......like you said, people just assume......just please take care of yourself, okay?

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196

Laura~ I completely understand.  I am so blessed to have a great job (med school faculty) and insurance but dh is unemployed.  We have 3 kids in Catholic school plus dh's and my student loans. No one even considers that we might be having trouble. One of the reasons I put off recon was because of the $250 surgery copay and all of the added expenses... people just don't get it... Anywhoo, sorry to hijack but I get it. I soooo get it. Frown

Do you have a good friend who could learn how to do some of the LE massages for you?  She could go with you to a couple of appts and then could help you a couple of times a week?  Also, maybe if you spoke to the PT, sometimes they will write off your co-pay and just take what insurance will give them.  You might want to ask. xxoo 

• Kate33

Laura- It's hard to keep up with all the threads but have you talked to Binney about the LE? She is the LE whisperer like Val and Deborah are the bra whisperers.  She is very knowledgeable about it and may have some links or suggestions to make it better.  So, so sorry you are having to go through it.

Val- I had NSM and my nips are permanently "on".  I tried the inexpensive ones at Target and they didn't work very well at all.  I could still see my nips through my shirt, they didn't lie very flat and they were hard to get off at the end of the day.  So not worth it! 

• MooreTennis
    MooreTennis Member Posts: 90

Val, this may sound a little strange but I have used the paper tape to dim the headlights. It's inexpensive, non-irritating and easy to remove.