Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215

Divecat - I went from a 36 B to a 34 C so not a huge difference IMO.  I still only feel comfortable with some support 24/7 but figure it will also help keep things where they currently are (or at least I hope so :)  Thanks for your response btw :)

Budfligal- I am over 3 months post exchange and waited about 2 months before I got fitted at Soma for a bra.   I have tried several push up bras since this time and none look good on me - I am not sure why.  Anywho I am large enough for my small frame that I am just fine with regular bras and don't need the extra push up so that is ok.  Best of luck to you :)

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

budrfli....I did not get back into underwires until about 2 months out (I had IMF incisions though, and was direct to implant). I have been an advocate of proper bra fit for a number of years so was in correct size before surgery (30E in most brands/styles). I am still a 30E though my breasts are now more shallow so I need to choose bra models that are designed for more shallow breasts (and yes, bra style, cut, brand, and so on can all mean some bras in you or size just won't work for you). I have found great success with Panache (Andorra (so damn comfortable..I only just got these and they are already my favourites!), Envy (similar to Andorra), Porcelain Viva) which is a brand that never worked for me BEFORE surgery (I used to wear Chantelle mostly). If you are on the photo forum I have put in a few photos in the bra thread. Many women find success with Wacoal (bit too wide in wires for me, but I do have a couple comfy Halos in my sister size), Freya, Chantelle, Natori, and so on on.

Just please make sure if you do get fitted you go somewhere good....to me that means avoiding at place that does the +4 to ribcage or has limited sizes (like band only in around 32-38, and cups in only A-DD). I actually recommend women first get an idea of what size might work for them so if a fitter recommends a bra that is way off, you can walk away! Also, if you know how a bra should fit, you can order online and try them on at home and return what does not work.

This is the BEST and most accurate online calculator I have found in all my years, and is based on the calculations on the subreddit /r/abrathatfits which is also a great resource. 

http://www.brasizecalculator.tk/

I would only wear push up bras for short periods of time (I personally don't wear them) as they work by distorting your breasts. If you are in a proper fitting underwire bra, you may be surprised at how uplifted and perky your breasts can look, without push-ups. 

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Divecat:  I am so glad you mentioned the bras that work best for you.  I am going to have to try Panache as a brand, because I have lost projection, due to scar retraction of either my original breast incisions or from the nipple flaps.  I need to go in and see if fat graft transfer would resolve this issue. Wish it was as simple as a Botox injection.  I do not know WHEN I would want to go through surgery again...after my nightmarish year....but I would like to know there is a "fix"...Wish I had gone with a 3D....Devil

So, I have been stuck on Chantelle and Freya....and my favorite styles are always so rapidly discontinued.  I love the Freya "Faye"....but it is discontinued and I came over here to see if anyone knew of a good replacement for "Faye" (thought Dawne-Hope might know Winking).  I know a lot of gals loved Pollyanna, but it never quite worked for me.  So maybe I will switch over to Panache and see what works with that brand. I love Chantelle 3582 - which has a stretchy cup and molds nicely over any breast mound....I found one on eBay tonight...NWT...but I have too many boring beige bras....

Deborah

• babyo20
    babyo20 Member Posts: 92

I wNt today for a bra measurement pre exchange at Nordstroms of which wasn't really impressed with the lady either :( anyways is bra size pre exchange any way accurate to what size we may be after exchange? 

• DiveCat

whippetmom, 

I am sorry you are having issues losing projection, I can understand wanting a non-surgical fix!

Do try the Andorra or Envy if you like stretch. The Andorra is the slightly stretchier of the two...it does mold entirely over the breast mound. I really like the top panel as it is so easy to fit, it will stretch or tighten up over whatever you have. I have it in Pearl and Black, the Pearl (a pale ivory-blush, rather than a nude) is especially soft. However, they do beautiful seasonal colours in it too, like Spice, Teal, etc. 

The Envy's stretch is primarily in the top panel, same lace as the Andorra, the bottom panels being a little firmer than the top and compared to Andorra, but remains very forgiving whether you are full on top or shallower, it is a tad deeper in cup than the Andorra, I get a tad of space at the seam but not enough to bother me, and it gives a more rounded look to the bust compared to Andorra which can be a look some prefer. Envy also gives a little more uplift due to the structure of the cup. Downside is it only comes in a beige and a black, but the houndstooth pattern makes it look pretty sharp.

I read lots of reviews where people said they had to size up in Andorra as the cups were shallow, but I did not need to size up as the lace is so forgiving and I am shallower. Still, if you can it might be wise to order a couple sizes to try on.

Oh, I also find the Andorra and Envy bands are quite snug (definitely not stretchier like Freya can be!). I personally like this (I have a 29" ribcage and ideally wear a 30 band), but some people do size up in band if they are very close to the band size or need an extender initially, based on my reading over at bratabase and other review sites. 

Overall, they are fairly similar, just a bit different..ha. Both are also similar to Panaches popular Jasmine, which comes in more exciting patterns. The Envy is like a hybrid of the Jasmine and the Andorra. I really like both, but edge goes to Andorra for comfort and slightly better fit for me.

I hope you can find something that works for you, it can be so frustrating when they discontinue favourite bra models! Interestingly the Pollayana did not work for me either when I tried it out!

P.S. I posted pictures of me wearing these bras in the bra thread at the picture forum!

• whippetmom

Divecat...Thank you!  This sounds like an adventure...a new brand!  LOL!  I will go to the Pic Forum!

• whippetmom

Holy cow...131 pages in the Post Your Bras thread.  Lilah created a monster!  Love the Panache, Divecat!  They look fabulous on you!

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Hi all, I wanted to share the one that has given me the most comfort 

Wacoal Awareness Soft Cup Bra; #(85276)

I have bought many bras and someone on wippetmom tread mentioned this one. When I received it it didn't do much for me so I kind of putting aside. Kept on searching and buying others then one day decide to wear it again and I have no idea what happened but it gave me some comfort then I wore it a full day and night. Next day I order a second one lol now I wear these a lot I don't know what it is maybe somehow I got used to these. I haven't bought more cuz i am waiting for my surgery and I am not sure if I will have the same size or less or more.  I am glad you mentioned these other brands here I will try and specific I order a few after my surgery. 

Thanks again 

• DiveCat

Thanks for the compliment whippetmom :)

Enerva, that bra is definitely very popular around here (especially during recovery), as is the wired version (when cleared to wear underwires). I imagine the soft cup feels good as it adds some gentle compression, along with support :)

The wired Awareness works well for sooo many women here...sadly it did not work well for me. The wires were WAY too wide for me (and I was in the right size, but the shape of the wires is set up in a "minimizer style" which just does not work for me), and there was way too much coverage for my shorter torso...I would have been able to wear nothing but crew necks which I despise!. This was not that surprising though as I have always had much better luck with UK brands/sizing.

• sweetandspecial
    sweetandspecial Member Posts: 1,669

I have to make a trip to the other side of the state (Troy - where my closest Nordstrom's is) for a wedding in October and will likely try to set up an appointment for a fitting and hopefully purchase a few new, pretty, sexy, girly, preferrably underwire bras.  I'm sick to death of the stretchy ones.

So, following is a list of various brands/models I've jotted down over the past several months while reading this thread (probably missed many as well).  Keeping in mind that I prefer underwire, a little lower cut with less frontal coverage mass but still good side support (to minimize side flab), and crave pretty colors, patterns, etc as well as the basic and necessary black, nude, white......could y'all chime in on what would be good and what I should avoid on this list?  Thanks so much!

• Chantelle 3582
    • Freya
    • Wacoal Awareness 85567
    • Wacoal LeFemme
    • Amoena Lara Comfort SB 0956
    • Anita 'Daytona'
    • LeMystere
    • Panache Andorra
    • Panache Envy

If there's anything NOT on the list that you feel IS something I should try please let me know that too!  I'm about 5'8" tall, 175 lbs with around a 33" ribcage measurement and have Allergan 750cc high profile smooth rounds.  I'm a year out from exchange and do not really have any ptosis, so the object is simply to provide some sexy, 'I feel pretty' support to keep my results top-notch.

Thanks so much ladies!

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467

sweetandspecial - drive to Holland, MI instead and go to Muriel's Intimate Apparel.  It is located downtown.  The fitter there is excellent at working with breast cancer/reconstruction patients, and she has a lot of bras in stock to fit our needs.  I got a beautiful Wacoal there last week!SillyHeart 

• DiveCat

I don't think they make the Chantelle 3582 anymore, you would need to find it on ebay or something. You can get a plunge version though in stores. I just found the gore was a bit too low for me in the plunge and I did not like the straps at all, but others do like it. There are few photos of members wearing it on the picture forum.

I had no luck with Freya though I wore Freya a lot before surgery; I was surprised as so many have great success with them! I tried on about 50 of them, their half cups, their full molded cups, their seamed unlined plunges...nothing worked! I feel a bit envious when I see the ladies in the picture forum in their gorgeous fun Freyas! If they work for you, lucky!

Wacoal Awareness was a no go for me as stated above but many love the wider wires and shallower cups. It seems like it would be VERY comfortable if it fits you as it has padded underwires and nicely padded straps. I also know some use it as a sports bra. I actually do have a couple Wacoal sports bras for well, sports and running, and like them a lot! The Awareness is not what I would call "sexy" though ;)

The Andorra is my new favourite; and it looks like Nordstrom's carries it!  I would definitely give it a try. It has pretty shallow but stretchy cups which seems to make it an easy to fit style for many women who have reviewed it online. I don't think it is IN YOUR FACE sexy, but I think it is pretty subtely sexy because of the lace. Also, aside from the Pearl and Black, they have fun seasonal colours (Nordstrom's has a fun saturated Teal and a "Powder" which is a pink....if you look around elsewhere you might be able to get your hands on some of the old Spice (reddish) colours, etc). The Andorra is my bra love affair of the week!

Envy is my close second favourite, except it only comes in the black and nude. 

Other brands that seem to work well for women with recon is Natori and Bali.

Make sure you get a surgical fitter (make an appointment) and try on LOTS of bras. Even though the ones above show up here, not all bra styles will work for everyone.  Try on many that aren't on your list!  No harm in trying things on :)

Also, this is handy to get an idea ahead of time what sizes you might need, or if you feel brave enough to try ordering online in a few sizes and trying on at home: 

http://www.brasizecalculator.tk/

• babyo20
    babyo20 Member Posts: 92

let us know when your in the area. We can get together!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

sweetandspecial - Fantasie is a sister brand to Freya and they have lots of pretty patterns, 3 part cups and plunge styles.  I'd put her on the list and at least try some on.  Winking

• Estel

whippetmom - Like DiveCat, I've had some luck with the Panache Bras.

My very favorite is the Panache Viva:

http://www.herroom.com/panache-6071-porcelain-viva...

I haven't tried the Panache Andorra.  

But I have tried the Simone Perele Andora and I really like it.  It has shallower cups and gives a really nice shape.

http://www.herroom.com/simone-perele-131343-andora...

I was told by the lingerie salesperson at my local Dillard's a couple of months ago that Freya was bought out by Wacoal.  I have no confirmation that it is true but that is what I heard.  Most of my old favorites are either already discontinued or are in the process of being discontinued.

The Arabella one of the last ones that was my favorite and it is being discontinued now:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa5721-arabella-under...

There is one shape of Freya that absolutely does not work for me and someone on the bra thread (I'm sorry but I can't remember who) on the pic forum mentioned that the shape doesn't work for them either.  It is the "Patsy" line … those cups are just weird and if you have squishy breasts (which we don't have anymore) you can fill the cup … but with these implants … they are not going to squish into any cup.  

These are other Freya bras that have the "Patsy" cut that I DON'T recommend:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1531-ruffle-my-feat...

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1511-fan-tastic-und...

The "Ooh La La" reminds me of the Arabella:  AA1481

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1481-ooh-la-la-unde…

The "Gem" is what took the place of "Faye" and I haven't tried it.  I probably won't because I don't like the mid-wires that come up this far.  That is why most of the Fantasie styles don't work for me … the wires come up too high.  This one is being discontinued too, though:  Freya Gem AA1361

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1363-gem-underwire-...

I love this one but sadly it is being discontinued too:  Freya Tropics AA1651

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1651-tropics-underw...

This one looks like it would fit like some of the older Freyas:  Freya Ignite AA1711http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1711-ignite-underwi...

I was fitted for a Chantelle bra earlier this year at Nordstrom that has become a summer favorite.  It is so comfortable and give a great shape:  Chantelle Vous et Moi 2126

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-2126-vous-et-moi-...

Edited to add:  Some of these links don't work, don't know why.  So I went back and put in the name and number of the linked bras.  

• Estel

Bare Necessities is having a 65% off sale.  Ends tonight, though:

http://www.barenecessities.com/search.aspx?search=...

• DiveCat

Estel,

I have the Panache Porcelain Viva too! I also like it! It was the bra that got me trying other Panache bras, I would not have considered them otherwise based on my pre-surgery experiences! 

Cleo by panache is the "younger" Panache sub brand, it has some pretty fun bras but I have not tried any of the yet.

I tried that Freya Tropics on in store and soooo wanted it to work for me as it would be such a fun summer bra (or to bring a little summer in the dead of winter!) but nope. Sad Freya is just a no go for me.

• Estel

DiveCat - It's such a good lesson … that what works for one doesn't for another.  I've tried so many different Wacoals … that that is one brand that just doesn't work for me.  The underwires fit me low on the ribcage.  When I was in Nordstrom earlier this summer the fitter just shook her head at every Wacoal we tried because the underwire sits so wonky on my ribcage.  

It's why it is good to have all of us share what works for us because we are all different. Smile

I was fitted in the Panache Viva last winter at a private bra shop.  I've tried the Panache Porcelain Lace and I needed a bigger cup size in that style but not so in the Viva.  

• Estel

sweetandspecial - I thought of another brand you need to try:  Anita!  I know in the past whippetmom has liked that brand.  The only reason I haven't tried it is because I've had such good luck with Freya.  I would definitely put it on your list to try.  Happy

Edited to add:  I see that you already had one Anita on your list.  

I've heard good things about the Rosa Faia here:

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5688-rosa-faia-twin-u...

and about their sports bras.  I haven't tried them, though.

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

LOL Deborah -- just saw your comment about the 131 pages.  Hey beautiful, well-fitting bras are crucial!

• whippetmom

What has inspired me, is that in our closet, I had a sort of shallow jewelry drawer in the top drawer of my husband's built in dresser.  I took the jewelry out, took the jewelry organizer insert out, and voila!  A BRA DRAWER!  I lined them up like pretty little soldiers, with plenty of room for more.  No more digging through my armoire for a bra! 

• whippetmom

I tossed out some bras, and now I only have twelve....Sad

• Estel

whippetmom - "I lined them up like pretty little soldiers."  

Happy  Love it!  

And only twelve?

Poor girl!  Winking  Time to go shopping!  We can help!  Nerdy

Keep us posted on your new little soldiers that occupy that drawer!  xoxo

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

Whippetmom, only 12? I had about that many, but now many don't fit. I'm very envious

• budrfligal13
    budrfligal13 Member Posts: 105

Thanks for the great brand suggestions!  I have sports bras at the moment.  I'm in NJ so there are a lot of great places to go for a proper fitting. We have a lot of malls!  I'd love to make a day trick to NYC, since I'm only 20 mins away.  

Thanks again ladies!

• Estel

budrfligal13 - Keep us posted on what you get!  

We'd love to know what works for you.

• Estel

whippetmom - I'm thinking that Freya "Enchanted" is the new replacement for "Faye."  http://www.barenecessities.com/freya-enchanted-ba...

Interesting.  barenecessities has it in tan and white.

herroom has it in black and tan.  

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1571-enchanted-unde..

• whippetmom

Estel...I will look at "Enchanted"...thank you!

• whippetmom

Divecat....Is your Panache "Andorra" Style 5675  or 5676?  Maybe therein lies the difference....

• momto7
    momto7 Member Posts: 114

I have not had any bras fitted I like the genie bra and a few sports bras  that I have that feel great . I have thought about getting fitted  tho I an thinking about  getting my left implant replaced but need to talk more with my  PS about it. Has any one ever seen the dream bra advertised ? I had even thought about ordering one of them to try