Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,269

babyo - Every PS recommends something different - no bra, yes bra, no underwire, surgical only, etc.  Be sure to talk to your own PS and go with the program he recommends.

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

Wow, this looks like a great post surgical bra - wish I had seen this sooner:

http://www.curediva.com/specials/bras/comfort-bra....

In the blurb, it says "the more time in a compression garment, the better the results." Is this true?

Also, have any of you felt the need for a 'breast pillow'? I saw this on the Cure Diva website and I've wondered if this is something I need to keep the foobs from moving towards the middle when sleeping on my side. http://www.curediva.com/bosom-buddy-breast-pillow... Most compression or sports bras don't really do anything for the cleavage part of your foobs except to just squish them together. 

IDK, does any of this really matter in the long run?

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

bc101,

I do believe in the importance of some light compression to boost circulation, as well as to keep down swelling. But, again, I think every PS has different views on this. My PS wanted me in some sort of compression for at least 4 weeks after surgery, essentially 24/7. The ideas was both for circulation, and to reduce the stress on the incisions and internal healing going on. I wore Marena B2 bras almost around the clock, except for a few days where I found they were too snug over my drains and I switched to Genie-like bras.  Switched to underwire at 7-8 weeks out. I have seen other PS's tell their patients not to wear bras at all once they took off surgical bra after a couple days, or left it entirely up to them.

I don't use a breast pillow, but I do wear underwire when I sleep and that keeps things nicely supported (my sports bras, etc are also underwire). Now that I no longer need to sleep on my back, I am back to sleeping almost always on my stomach, with about 5% on side and 5% on back, so keeping them separated is not a major concern. However, as with when I had my natural breasts, when I AM on my side I prefer to sleep with a soft pillow or body pillow up snug against my chest, so that limits movement as well.

I would check with your doctor before using that breast pillow. Usually the concern is more with lateral migration than symmastia. The pillow seems to be more of a "comfort" item, but given the goal with implants is usually to try and keep them "in" instead of push out, I'd be concerned if the breast pillow, depending on size and strength would push your breasts outward.

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

Thanks, Divecat, that makes sense.ThumbsUp

• redheeledwomen
    redheeledwomen Member Posts: 74

Since this forum is so large I wasn't sure if the following information has already been shared or not:

I discovered that some insurances cover bra's after Mastectomies with a prescription from your PS.  I called my Insurance (Cigna) and discovered they cover the cost of Mastectomy bra's unlimited per year and their preferred vendor is Nordstrom.  I went to Nordstrom and spoke to a Prosthesis Coordinator who walked me through the whole process.  I called my PS and asked them to fax over a script to Nordstrom (which they did). The appointments last around an Hour with Nordstrom, you pick out however many bra's which are converted to Mastectomy bra's wear etc., and Nordstrom bills your insurance just like a doctors office would.  Of course they want a back up credit card on file just incase there's any issue with your insurance company.    I have an appointment next week for bralettes or bra's that I can wear with my TE's.  After my Exchange surgery I will go back and get bra's (of course after the swelling goes down etc.).  Nordstrom gave my HCPC code L8000 (Mastectomy bra's aka prosthesis), so please contact your insurance and see if they will cover the cost of your bra's, how many and how often before paying out any money.  If you've already purchased bra's, call to find out if your insurance will reimburse you.   

Good luck!!!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

redheeledwomen - Yes, thank you for the reminder!  

Some insurance companies do cover MX bras.  

Glad you have one that does!  Keep us posted on what you get.

• redheeledwomen

Estel- I will report back after my appointment next week and let you all know what the process was like.

Thanks.

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215

I feel super lucky to never have had to have any wraps or compression bras.  Not sure why Dr.'s are all over the map with these recommendations.  Anywho - for those who are just post exchange.  I highly recommend you save your money at first and get some nice comfortable Bali type bras at your local Target, Walmart, etc...  I am 5 months post exchange and still wear these everyday for work and wear my nice Soma bras on the weekends/special occasions.  With the Bali type bras you don't need an exact bra size so it is much easier until you are ready to get fitted for a real bra :)

• cateyz2
    cateyz2 Member Posts: 253

hello Ladies, this is my first time posting on this thread and would like to share my thoughts/experience on this subject.

After my bmx my PS stated I did not need to wear a bra during the entire time with TE's unless it was more comfortable. After my first echange to Allergan smooth rounds Style 20, again he stated I never needed to wear a bra unless I wanted too.

However, this past Tuesday due to some rippling and indents I went thru a revision and exchanged them for th Allergan 410 Anatomical Gummy Bears and have now been instructed to wear a well supportive bra 24/7 during the healing/recovery process.

Which makes me think that the style of implant may very well be the key as to Bra or no Bra debate.

So today I went shopping at my local Carson's and tried on quite a few. Of course trying to find one comfortable to fit around an implant is a job in itself and I found the most comfortable bra, completely encapsulates the wide width of the implant, is wired for full support and is extremely comfortable.

It is a Platex "Outgoer" bra style 4910, per the tag this is its' description:

1. Higher sides for secure coverage and comfort

2. Comfortable straps help reduce bounce and prevents digging

3. Rounder accommodating cups mean less spillage and proper hold for a natural shape

4. Wider smooth backs for stability without ride-up

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

"Which makes me think that the style of implant may very well be the key as to Bra or no Bra debate".

Except, many of us with smooth rounds (me included, who has Allergan Inspira smooth round silicones) were told to wear bras 24/7 while healing (and some beyond) ;)

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

catey thanks for the info on the bra, I ll look for it ;) I have so many and it's not easy to find a comfortable one. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,269

"Which makes me think that the style of implant may very well be the key as to Bra or no Bra debate...

And I have Allergan 410s and was told by my PS I would never need to wear a bra again ever.  So now we have the whole spectrum.  Just proves once again that every doc gives different instructions and each of us is different.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

Thanks for sharing the info on the Platex "Outgoer" bra style 4910. It is on sale at Herrroom this weekend. Be sure to check out the size conversion chart too!

http://www.herroom.com/playtex-4910-play-outgoer-u...

Lots of good sale prices at Herroom this weekend. I put myself on a bra and swimsuit budget so am trying not to look!

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360

I don't think I'll be able to buy bras online unless I had already tried on that brand and style in a store somewhere.  I tried on 10 bras the other day at Walmart and none of them fit right.  I'll be heading to Norstrom  next month :-)

• Golden01

You are right. I got fitted at Nordstrom, Dillard's, and a boutique at a local hospital cancer center. Once I knew the size I needed, I've been able to order online. My PS advised me to not spend much on bras until about three months after my last surgery. During that time, I wore a zip up sports bra from Penney's. Since then, I've spent a lot on underwear!

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Agree … don't order online until you know your size.

Once you know what works for you … what brands/styles work best for you … you can buy some of the more expensive bras on e-bay.  I've bought a large number of my bras on e-bay.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974

Even having been fitted in over a dozen stores, I still have a hard time finding a bra. They all fit very differently so I would find, buy and WEAR something for an extended amount of time before then buying cheaper online. Most places will let you return bras as well. I have found that 99% of the time, for me, I find what seems to be a comfy bra only to find once I'm home and have it on for a couple of hours, that it's not comfy at all! I am very very sensitive under my MX arm so pretty much all wires and seams bother me. I'm still in my Bali 3488 almost 2 years later. Recently I found a Maidenform that I wore for 4 hours without ripping it off so I'm hopeful that I will find a pretty and supportive underwire before I'm a wrinkled old lady!

So my advice.....take them home and wear them for a few hours before buying online. Heck, Victoria's Secret told me no problem with removing the tags and wearing the bra for a few days and then returning it if it didn't work!!

• Enerva

Lala 1 I agree with you,  only the wacoal bra worked for me but every bra I got on line are now a waist of my money. I now own so many different bra and only a few I can wear. I am waiting for my incisions to heal well and the pain to get better in order to try all the bras again lol I won't but any bra till I heal and I go through my collection first lol 

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133

Does anyone have TRICARE Insurance and had a NSBMX? If so can you PM me,please.

Thanks, Marybeth

• redheeledwomen

Good Afternoon Ladies,

I just wanted to give you an update.  Today was my Nordstrom appointments for Mastectomy bra options.  Ashley, The Prosthesis Coordinator and I sat in a really nice private room and took my measurements (currently I just have TEs fully expanded to my desired amount) and discussed options.  All Bra's have been converted to allow Mastectomy prosthesis breast forms (inserts) so that there isn't a problem with insurance (if your insurance covers Mastectomy bra's clothing etc.).  Ashley went and brought back five bra's, bralettes, mastectomy bra's with Jackson Pratt drain pockets (the kind you wear after surgery) and camisoles.  Prior to my appointment I requested that my PS fax over a prescription to Nordstrom so that I could pick out the items I wanted and Nordstrom's could finalize the purchase by having me fill out the necessary paperwork to bill my insurance directly.   I selected three Wacoal bra's, two Amoena camisoles and one Amoena "Hannah" post surgical garment with drain management.  This will come in handy when I have my exchange surgery.  The appointment lasted around one hour and was very pleasant.  Six weeks after my exchange surgery I will go back and select additional bra's.  Please contact your insurance to find out if this benefit it available to you.  Nordstrom gave my code L8000 (to give to your insurance company).  Also, remember to ask how many and how often you can purchase garments.  And remember to have your PS give you a script.

Enjoy the weekend!

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165

I'm currently wearing what BethQ is wearing in the photo back on page 174--the Jobst surgical vest. I'm supposed to wear it for 2 weeks. My concern is that it's not actually tight. I shouldn't complain, right?  The sports bras I wore with the TEs were much tighter. I've got the straps velcroed up, but the band isn't tight. I've got a small rib cage (27" with the band tight). My exchange was last Thursday, and my follow-up is on next Thursday. I'll ask about it then, but I'm thinking the "compression" bra is supposed to be tight!

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133

Elizabeth, you'll probably get every answer under the sun since no PS seems to have the same opinion. I went home with no bra. No instructions were given. A week later he told me to go ahead and wear a sports bra for a couple of weeks. At night was optional. I think you'll be fine and you'll be seeing your PS on Thursday to ask questions.

• Enerva

ok I founding more sport bra also Champion and I love it.

Sorry don't know how to rotate the pictures lpl

• Elizabethaw

We have a specialty store here that does only custom fittings, and they are apparently great with reconstruction. Needless to say, they're expensive so I only want to go once!  How long should I wait to settle into my final size?  Two months?  Three?  Longer?

• Golden01

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule, for me it was about three months after my last surgery. 

• redheeledwomen

Just a quick update:  I wore one of the  Wacoal wire free contour bra's in color coffee bean.   I currently have TE's filled to 700ccs with a measured size of 38D.  I've worn the bra all day and it feels great!  Some have posted buying bra's that feel good when purchased but start to hurt after wearing for a few hours.  Not sure if anyone else has tried this bra yet.  Again, I only have TE's and not the final implants so not sure if this bra will work after exchange and if I will even be the same size.  Just thought I'd give an update.  Thanks all. 

• bethq
    bethq Member Posts: 177

Elizabeth I have a 28 inch ribcage and my surgical bra is fairly tight. They do come in different sizes and I think I have the smallest one. Even though I am allowed to wear sportsbras now I always wear the surg. bra at night because I find it comfortable now (I did NOT at first).

• Elizabethaw

Thanks, Bethq.  I suspect I should be wearing a smaller one. I'm finding my surgical bra (looks like a vest to me, so my husband and I have been calling it that) to be comfortable--and I have four!  (Two from the bmx and two from the exchange.) I don't minding sleeping in them at all. However, it'll be tricky to wear them when I go back to work--no matter what I wear they seem to show.  Oh well--not a big deal. I'll certainly ask if tighter is better at my follow-up appt on Thursday.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

This is really odd, but doesn't this website look as though information was culled directly from the pages of Bras 101?  

Hmmmm

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

IF YOU NEED LATERAL SUPPORT AND A BRA THAT LIFTS...

I think these would be excellent for gals who have implants too far apart and low on the chest wall.  Worth investigating further.

ORLINA BRAS