Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

Whoohooo! Yay freedom! Best way to find a size is just to try them on. I was told to get one with a large band and to wear it 24/7 for 2 weeks. I don't mind wearing sports bras - there are some fun colors out there. Plus it's so much better than the compression garments!

Have fun at the beach!!

• bethq
    bethq Member Posts: 177

Thanks! I just read the beginning of this thread and found the guide to measuring very good! Looks like I am a 34 full B in one breast and C in the other.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

bethq - fitting reconstructed breasts is tricky because you will need a bigger cup size than you may think. Those bra calculators work for some but they never did work for me. Sized me a b when I need a d cup. Implants are wider than natural breasts. Go and get professionally fitted if at all possible. To get the proper support you need a good fit and most of us were wearing the wrong size before bc - a bra too big in the band and too small in the cup. It is an educational experience to go and get fitted. Please consider doing so, again, wearing the proper size is more important now than ever - you want to keep the implants where your P.S. Put them and not press on them, impinge them in any way. Proper fit is huge. 

Wacoal awareness is one that a lot of us wore after our exchange. I was told to not wear an underwire for six weeks. Anita is also a good brand that some of us wore after our exchange. All department stores are different but my local Macy's is terrible for lingerie fittings. Dillard's in my area is way better...but that might just be my area. It would be well worth the hours drive to Nordstrom for a fitting IMO. Call ahead and tell them you're a BC survivor who recently had reconstructive surgery and you would like an appointment with a 'surgical fitter.' 

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-85276-awareness-soft...

• Estel

and so funny about your dream. SillyHeart Classic anxiety dream.  It won't be that bad, promise. Winking

• bethq

Thanks Estel maybe I will go to Nordstroms tomorrow. Good advice!

• Estel

bethq - Since you're driving that far, call ahead and ask for a 'surgical fitter.'  I've had some great fittings at Nordstrom and not so great … calling ahead can increase your chances of getting a great fitter.  Keep us posted on how it goes and what you get.  Happy

• bethq

Should I wait until my post op swelling is gone? But if so what to wear in the meantime? 

• Estel

You're one week out from exchange, correct?  

Swelling is so dependent on our individual bodies and what was done at the exchange … it's hard to tell, bethq.  

The woman who started this thread was fitted within days of her exchange and her size didn't change.  For some of us, our band size does change as the swelling goes down.

At the most, I wouldn't buy more than one bra right now in case you need a smaller band size in the weeks ahead.

I wore zip up the front sports bras for about six weeks before I invested in any bras.  

The Wacoal Awareness that I linked on the bottom of the previous page is one that a lot of us wear right after our exchange.  

I was able to find some fruit of the loom and danskin sports bras that hooked/zipped up the front at Wal-Mart that I wore for a few weeks after my exchange.  

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23091827?wmlspartner=wlp…

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5523-active-front-clo...

I wore a front closing sports bra for a couple of years to bed … so you don't think if you invest in it now … it's too expensive.  You can wear them long after you're wearing them every day.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

Hi ladies, I am home now. 

I got implants NSRX695

I am very happy, finally got the results I should have gotten back in December ;)

Will try to post in thepicture forum tomorrow cuz i need to reach for the link and my password. Haven't been there in a wile.

All good, just in a lot of pain but smiling very very happy.

Sending hugs to all the ladies who are going to surgery soon.

;) 

• babyo20
    babyo20 Member Posts: 92

I know there is a lot of info here but looking for a few quick recommendations right now :)

I am a week out so need to either wear the surgical bra or a sports bra and the sports bras I wore with my TE are a bit loose. Any recommendations on brands of sports bras or where to buy them at that are snug like a surgical bra but more comfortable? :) don't want them to shift so figure if I get a snigger fitting sports bra I can get away with that. I don't know what size I am but king today to Nordstrom to check, maybe as I almost don't w ant to know. Thanks!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,269

babyo - since you'll likely be swollen for some time I'd hit WalMart - Danskin or Fruit of the Loom.

• babyo20

are they snug enough? I bought danask for before but it is not snug so worried implants might move. For the most part what fit is best to get tight or just regular? Thanks! :)

• bc101

Fruit of the Loom bras from Walmart are great - especially when transitioning from surgical garments. They're inexpensive and very similar to the "leisure bras" I was recommended to get at the mastectomy store. Thanks for the reminder - I need to buy some snugger ones, too. The ones I bought after my BMX where huge because I was in so much pain I couldn't stand anything too tight. I have to credit my DH for finding them, lol! They're not glamourous by any means, but very comfy.

• babyo20

I just realized that I have the same danask in in your link. I need to confirm size but they should fit. Thanks! Wold the other one ou shared be better since there is more coverage?

• babyo20

I can't wear a bra for another three weeks so that's by I am looking for sports bras. I had a hard time finding them before so know wher to go for them now. 

• Enerva

hi, baby20 not sure if I can help but I had my surgery yesterday and I am wearing a snugly sport bra I had lots of rippling with my previous exchange and now taking a different approach, there is a tread for bra and lots is has been said that for the first two months it's bestvto give good support so the implants can encapsulate properly. Here a pick i found this at winners very good price and feel great.

I am a 38C

• babyo20

very nice! Your ps said you could wear them so soon? Why didyoubhave are vision? I already feel too big so trying to just remind myself if I still feel that way once they settle that it is okay to do that. I fear if I want to go smaller that the skin won't look nice. Sounds like a lot of people do that or at least with reductions so they have ways of fixing that.

• Enerva

here is a better picture of the bra is a champion high support bra

I got one 36d and one 38C both fit good.

I had a revision to go larger, in my case I had all my skin and nipple, my previous ps was very conservative and did not listen to me at all even though I did the research and told her what I wanted she agreed verbally and then in the OR she chose a different implant smaller and softer and I ended up with terrible results. I then had to look for a new Ps, was turn down by one who was my previous ps colleague and finally was able to meet my ps boss who now was able to fix things up. I am extremely happy now got exactly the zise that fit my skin and looks yet natural. I brought several bras to surgery and the Ps said he does not recommend it nor discourage the use of the bra he said it is up to me if I feel ok to wear it so soon and it does not bother my incisions then it's ok. In the bra tread several ladies do recommend to wear a good bra for the implants to be in place so the capsule form well I am not sure, I just want to minimize the migration of my implants till the 2 months are gone. Lol 

Hope this helps you. I still didn't post in the picture forum I will Pm you now. It's faster

• bc101

Enerva - thanks for posting. Wow, you look great in that sports bra!ThumbsUp. Glad to hear you are happy with the bigger size. Every PS seems to have a different opinion on the (bra) subject. Personally I think a nice, snug sports bra is good enough and maybe even better than the old standard compression bra. They're soooo uncomfortable! 

Happy Healing!

• bethq

I want that sports bra! I just spent an exhausting afternoon trying on so many bras but that one is what I need. Dicks didn't have it. Maybe Walmart.

• babyo20

thanks Enerva! Is bit tight fitting? You say at least the first two months is this when things are more prone to problems with move my then?

• Straitlover
    Straitlover Member Posts: 20

FYI - for those of you who like the Genie bras, I saw a commercial where they have zip up ones now, so no pulling over your head! Not sure if they are order off TV only right now or not.

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467

For those of you with Genie bras, if you haven't tried stepping into them - try it!  So much easier than the over the head struggle!Shocked

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

Yeah, I always stepped into my Genies. That is actually how they recommend putting them on as well.

• bc101

In my town, the Genie bras are sold at Bed Bath & Beyond. I recently found a cami shaper and I LOVE it!! I recently had fat grafting, and found the Genie cami a great alternative to a compression or sports bra.

• bc101

Beth - Kohl's has Champion sports bras.

• Enerva

lol thanks for all the info, I have been so upset with my previous breast that i ended up with all kinds of bras and I need to tell you what I did to all of my bras including these champion ones. I opened a tiny hold and I took the wire out. Lol in my case I have incisions all underneath my breast so no wires for me at least till it all heals well. So I did that to any bra I found that I love but had wires lol I just wanted to mention in case you wonder if the wire bother me lol I took them off. 

Now on the gene bras. For me it's the material I can't stand. I love them but I need cotton or at least some cotton in it. I get an  itch and I cant stand those I got a few and never was able to wear them for too long lol 

• Estel

Marena is a good right after exchange bra.  When my P.S. told me to wear a sports bra after the exchange, the only kind I knew existed were those over the head sports bras … not so good for those us who've just had surgery.  He assumed I knew that but I didn't.  So … yes, wear a sports bra that zips up/hooks up the front.  Sports store (like Dick's or Hibbets) often have them and they are also available at Wal-Mart, and Penney's.  

Here is a link to the Marena site.  These are more expensive than the Fruit of the Loom and Hanes but they are also much more supportive.

Again, they are expensive comparatively but they are also worth it IMO.  You can wear them to sleep in too after you don't need to wear them post-surgery.

https://www.marenagroup.com/comfortwear/product/pr...

• Estel

Here are more, cheaper, hook/zip up front sports bras:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Comfor…

Herroom has it too:

http://www.herroom.com/fruit-of-the-loom-96014-com...

And Anita:

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5523-active-front-clo…

And then sports bras that hook in the back.  The Panache 5021 is my favorite, go back a page and you'll find a link.

Here is another and there are many more.

http://www.herroom.com/le-mystere-320-energie-spor...

If you want to see more go to herroom or barenecessities.com and search for sports bra and look at them 'til your hearts content.  There are many more options than what is available in department stores and in many more sizes too.

• bethq

Thanks so much, I did go get one of the Champion bras at Kohls but I would LOVE to have something that fastens in the front, just seems like that would hold things in place better. I will look at walmart tomorrow.