Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• bethq
    bethq Member Posts: 177

Whippet mom I love love those bras. Have a question. If I had pocketwork on all sides will a bra that pushes me in harm the pocketwork around the sternum? Also I have been wondering about push up bras. Will my breasts be "pushed up" with the padding in a push up bra? And should they be? I am just three weeks post-exchange and they seem pretty fixed right now.

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

Do not wear push up bras, if you do at all, until well healed as you do not want to damage that pocket! They are really actually quite bad for both natural tissue and implants so even then you should only wear them for short durations of time. My implants at this point are quite malleable, I can move them around and up, I don't wear push-ups though. A well supporting, proper fitting bra, in a balconette cup, creates nice cleavage for me without distorting my implants.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527

I think all our favorites are there! 

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Whippetmom: it does!  Perhaps one of our readers has studied and learned?

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165

I'm exactly one week post-exchange today. I'm wearing a Jobst surgical bra, and it's comfortable but not super snug. My PS said they'd try to find a smaller size, but unfortunately they don't have any smaller ones. The one I'm wearing isn't huge, and it does feel supportive, but I can easily put my clenched fist between the band and my belly. We discussed that perhaps a sports bra might be more supportive, and my PS said the main thing at this point is good support. (And, yes, he reassured me that compression isn't going to permanently make them flatter!)  I have IMF incisions, so underwires are out for the next couple of weeks while they heal. 

What would y'all do? I could wear something snug over the surgical vest thing. I could try to find a supportive sports bra. I like the way the thing I have on comes down lower onto my belly because it's not likely to rub on those incisions. I'm terrified of a bra rubbing on them in a place where I have no sensation and damaging them.

Thanks!

• lalli
    lalli Member Posts: 21

I have a couple of general questions I was hoping someone might answer for me. I'm 6 days out of exchange.

How do implants get softer, squishier? Mine aren't either of those things now. Does the silicone actually soften over time?

What does "fluff" mean? I get the drop part. Does fluff mean they look bigger?

And can implant shape actually be molded by wearing a bra?

Thanks for helping me understand all of this.

• Olaf
    Olaf Member Posts: 133

Elizabethaw, I had IMF incisions too. I wore a fruit of the loom front closure sports bra with no problems. A sports bra with a wide band should be fine too. I

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

whippetmom - I do agree. 

• Estel

Elizabethaw - IMF incisions … you do need to be careful.  You're tiny.  What you have sounds like it is way too big but I think the bigger issue for you right now is for those incisions to heal.  I would keep what you have.  If you do wear anything over it … I would definitely talk to and/or show your PS to make sure that you're not going to impede healing on those incisions.  As you heal … a tighter soft cup bra like the wacoal awareness may be an option but for now, I think the priority is to make sure those IMF incisions heal.

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-85276-awareness-soft...

• Estel

lalli - For most of us … implants are at least partially under the pectoral muscle.  After your exchange … that muscle is tight.  As time goes on, the muscle relaxes … thus the drop and fluff part.  It's all related to the muscle.  The actual silicone stays the same … it's all related to the muscle relaxing.  Yes, the implants can look a little fuller … for some of us … right after the exchange … the implants look like hamburger patties … but over time … as the muscle relaxes … the implant drops into the pocket that your P.S. made for it and it all looks more relaxed … less pancake/hamburger like.  

Yes, wearing a properly fitted bra can help shape the new 'breast.'  I know that within a week … my left implant started to shift over to my armpit side and wearing a bra helped move it back.  The first six weeks is a crucial healing period.  Scar tissue is forming around the implant and wearing a properly fitted bra can help keep the implant where your P.S. put it.  Some of us have skeletal issues that make us more prone to shifting implants as well.  It's also very important to listen to your P.S. on taking it easy regarding exercise.  Lots of bouncing around (running, speed walking) is NOT good the first several weeks after your exchange because of the healing issues.  No bounce is especially important as everything heals.  I was advised by my P.S. not to exercise for a couple of weeks.  Then, bike only until I was six weeks post-exchange.  I cheated and tried to walk about two weeks ago and paid for it dearly.  No cheating.  Winking

• Estel

Elizabethaw - I think this is the bra that Olaf is talking about.  I wore one like it too after my exchange:

http://www.herroom.com/fruit-of-the-loom-96014-com…

Also, the Marena bras are great post-exchange bras.  

https://www.marenagroup.com/comfortwear/product/co...

The Marena bras come in a 32 band which is way big for you but with your IMF incisions … I think it would work.  

• lalli

Estel  thank you for the great explanation. I'm so happy to understand now what these terms really mean. My PS is very good technically and has done an excellent job on me throughout, however he doesn't seem to have many rules/guidance. i.e everything is whatever I want and feel, bras, exercise etc… So I've been learning a lot on this forum.

My breasts are a bit outward. I've just ordered 2 bras online… the nouvelle cotton bra  http://nouvelleinc.com/cottonbra1.aspx and the Warner Elements of Bliss bra  http://nouvelleinc.com/cottonbra1.aspx  Now I'm wondering if I really need the fuller Marena?  Do you have any thoughts on which would work best in keeping my breasts in laterally while I heal?  

Thank you!

• Estel

lalli - Did your P.S. give you specific instructions on what to wear post-exchange?  Again, as posted in the header, plastic surgeon's are all over the place on their recommendations.  If he/she gave you instructions, follow those.  If not, a good compression bra is ideal the first six weeks out.  

I like the link to the first one you posted above … that one looks great for only being six days out.  

If you live near a Nordstrom, make an appointment for a 'surgical fitting' to find out your proper bra size.  Note that most of us were wearing the wrong size prior to breast cancer.  You will probably need a smaller band size than what you were wearing before … and you will need a larger cup size …. remember that reconstructed breasts are wider than our natural breasts … hence you need a larger cup to fit around the implant.  If you do not live near a Nordstrom, find a specialty bra shop because those can be great for helping us reconstructed gals.  I live 2.5 hours from Nordstrom but I found it helpful to go up and get a proper fitting.  

Here's a helpful video to help explain on how a bra should fit.  It's the band that should give us the support we need … not the straps.  

Scroll down to "Bra Size Basics"

http://blog.lindasonline.com/category/braducationa...

• cateyz2
    cateyz2 Member Posts: 253

Elizabethaw One suggestion when having an IMF incision is to put a maxi pad between your incision and bra, that way it give a little padding and in your case may fill that gap due to size of bra

• Elizabethaw
    Elizabethaw Member Posts: 165

thank you so much for the suggestions! Cateyz, the maxi pad idea is awesome!  I've been using gauze pads, but it takes at least three hands to put them on the incisions and zip the bra closed--the stupid things scoot off the incisions as soon as you move the bra. My husband and I struggle with it daily. I tried tape, but I'm terrified of getting it on the actual incisions. Maxi pad on the bra--brilliant!

Estel, I'm trying to balance out the need for support vs the need to protect the incisions. Olaf, I'm so glad to hear that sports bras were ok for you. It's worrisome to hear that your (Estel's) left side seemed to be moving around the first week mark. I'm afraid that a sports bra will just smoosh everything down, but my PS seemed to think they were fine. The properly fitted bra with cups seems like a good idea, but I'm sure I need to wait a bit for the incisions to heal before I put any pressure on that area. 

Estel I'm really interested in your comment about walking. I got a big lecture from my PS about not exercising (he knows I'm a dedicated exerciser).  He said, "I know it will kill you, but Do Not go to yoga or Pilates, run or swim for 6 weeks."  He said walking on a treadmill or outside is fine. I assumed any bouncing is totally out, but I figured walking wouldn't cause problems.

• DiveCat

My PS encouraged me to walk as soon as I was able after my surgery (direct to implant, rather than exchange) and was happy to hear I was walking 3 days out, everyday, for 4-6 miles! His only limitations were "to go slow". I also am a dedicated exerciser, and was good about "no bounce" (mainly as I had no desire to bounce anywhere at that time!) but I credit walking to helping my recovery (there is some data out there to say that walking increases circulation to area and helps healing) and my mental state for sure! I was allowed to go on spin bike and elliptical WITHOUT using arms at 2-3 weeks out. I did not start running until about 7-8 weeks out, but though I was a daily runner before 5-10 miles most days) since my surgery I have been doing a lot more cross training and running shorter distances...kind of a deliberate choice as some injuries that were bothering me before surgery have resolved now that I am not running so much. I always wore a supportive compression bra when walking, etc, and once I started running and doing other bouncier things I made sure I was in a very supportive sports bra.

• Estel

just goes to show all of us are different as our situations.

I had a lot of pocket work done at the time of the exchange and my P.S. didn't want me to walk for exercise (he knew I was a runner/speed walker) the first six weeks.  I too was/am an avid exerciser … the bike became my friend.

Again, we're all different as as our individual bodies, surgeries and situations.  

• lalli

Sorry to ask what i know has already been answered. Can someone recommend a great sports bra? One that holds maybe with a little lateral push?  I searched back some pages but couldn't find what had been recommended. Thank you!

• DiveCat

lalli, 

I really prefer sports bras with underwire, as they do a good job of encapsulating the implant/breast, not just squashing it down against your chest. 

I really like the unpadded Wacoal underwire sports bras (the wire is worn on the "outside" of the bra which is a bit different, but makes it very comfortable). The underwire does come up high in the middle but I find it is not rigid or hard (especially as it is on outside) and it really does a good mixture of encapsulation and compression. Not the prettiest sports bra but I am willing to forgive that for how well it works for me. They don't make it in a 30 band so I need to wear my sister size in a 32DD on the middle hook to start, but the band is firm enough to get away with. It is also really easy to get on as it goes on like a traditional bra. I wear this one pretty much everyday when I workout....including running...and it works very well:

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-855170-sports-underw...

Wacoal has a new sports bra too that is more sports bra looking but still has the underwire, but I have not tried it:

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-853209-contour-sport...

I also know a lot of people (both those here and elsewhere) have had good luck with Panache 5021...it is a popular bra, and has some much more fun colourways, though sizing can be a bit tricky (I found I needed a different size than I regularly did in other Panache bras) so it is best to try it on in person if you can: http://www.herroom.com/panache-5021-full-busted-u...

I tried the Panache sports bra before my surgery but found it did not provide enough support for running or other bouncy sports unless I used the racer back clip which helped a bit, which could be difficult to reach, and the band stretched out a lot quite soon. I tried one on again in store after surgery, and am still debating giving it another go, but I don't like that it has a padded cup (I get hot enough working out with adding padding!), but others seem to not mind this at all, so I shall leave it to you!

Oh, and I have never tried this one, but a few women around here seem to like the Bendon Max Out/Extreme Out models though there is a trick to getting them on as you need to go over your head, put your arms through, and then clip it up:

http://www.herroom.com/bendon-73-408-max-out-techn...

http://www.herroom.com/bendon-76-408-extreme-out-t...

• lalli

Thanks so much for all those options Divecat! I'll have to wait until I can wear the underwire on my IMF stitching, but these look good for getting back to exercise.

I have another question for you or anyone…..I'm a week out of exchange and my ps never said anything about bras. So I've been wearing coobies most of the time. I ordered a couple of more-supportive bras online, but they haven't arrived. I'm suddenly concerned that i better get into something more supportive right away and wonder if I should head out to Macys or Nordstroms today…any thoughts on what they might carry and if its important to wear something stronger than a cookie?

• lalli

coobie, not cookie :)

• Estel

lalli - Go to Nordstrom website to get a better idea of what they have.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/womens-bras?origin=lef...

I would ask your P.S.'s opinion as to what he thinks regarding getting fitted this early out with IMF incisions.

I've found bras to be like running shoes and blue jeans...in that you will find one particular brand and style that works best for your body. Sometimes finding your 'perfect' bra takes some time and a lot of trying on loads of bras. Don't get discouraged in the process.

Lalli, it sounds like you are stressing out over this...I would encourage you to take a deep breath and relax. If you are concerned about not having adequate support (you are tiny), call your P.S. and ask if it is ok to wear a compression bra over what you have. Breathe, sister. :) You're going to be alright. xo

I personally do not know a lot about IMF incisions and I wouldn't recommend you getting fitted as early as someone who doesn't. You need to let those incisions heal. 

• lalli

Thanks Estel, 

I'm actually not so stressed, but I was in a hurry and may have sounded so. I'm not looking for a fitting quite yet. Just something generically supportive as my PS didn't give direction and I thought maybe I'd better get myself some support while waiting for bras to arrive in the mail. I'll go look around this weekend.

• Estel

lalli - Good. :)

I really like the Marena bras I posted above. And the bras you ordered look like they will be good too.

Some brands that we all like: Wacoal, Panache, Freya, Anita, Natori, Josie by Natori, LeMystere, Freya, Fantasie, Chantelle. There are more but all those brands you are likely to find at Nordstrom and some Dillard's. 

Keep us posted on what you find and what works for you so we can pass on the knowledge to other ladies with IMF incisions. xo

• DiveCat

Lalli,

I had IMF incisions with Alloderm also stitched in around there and waited until 7-8 weeks to wear underwires. I wore Marena's or Genies until then. It is really important to let the incisions heal especially as you have a loss of feeling so might not know if you are injuring them. The main thing right now is to reduce the workload on those incisions while you heal. I don't have much experience with Coobies, but the Marena's were great as the way they fit the band came below the IMF area but they gave good compressive support, but other sports like bras can do something similar.

• Estel

lalli - I just saw your comments about exercise. If your P.S. said it was ok, then do it. I had a lot of pocket work during my exchange because my TE's were so uneven and that may have been the reason he wanted me on the bike instead of walking. I was cleared to do whatever I wanted after six weeks.

Here is what I wore for the first six weeks after my exchange:

http://www.herroom.com/fruit-of-the-loom-96014-com...

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-85276-awareness-soft...

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-852247-casual-beauty...

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-65547-halo-lace-full...

And the Marena bra posted in several responses above. After six weeks, I started wearing the Freya, unlined, 3 part cup bras. These remain my favorite. But like I said above, we are all different. Freya works great for me. For others, not so much.

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa1711-ignite-underwi...

• lalli

Thanks so much Estel, that's exactly what I was looking for. Wish there was a Walmart around here to pick up a Fruit of the  loom. I'll head out now and see if I can find any of your recommendations or something similar. So appreciate your advice and I'll report back what works for me.

• Enerva
    Enerva Member Posts: 2,985

hi lalli I am still wearing my champion sport bra and still love it I am two weeks out from.my surgery

• Sodie1017
    Sodie1017 Member Posts: 7

I just bought a Natori sports bra. Sticker shock. However, I'm pleased with the fit and the no bounce and the no uni-boob. The fitter at Dillard's came into the dressing room with me, which was a little embarrassing, but she made sure it fit and showed me how to adjust the straps. I'm willing to pay extra money at Dillard's just because their fitters are so good and sympathetic toward women with breast cancer. 

• Estel

Sodie1017 - Yay! So happy that you had a good fitter and found something that works! Smile

I've had good experiences with the Dillard's fitters too. So happy for you! Thanks for sharing.