Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Options

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    Options

momto7 - yay! Smile

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    Options

Glad that Dream works so well!

WTH...Dillards fitted me at 38DD on the wireless Wacoal Awareness bra and Nordstrom fitted me at 40DD on the same bra. Crazy!

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    Options

At Nordstrom Rack, found a 40DD Natori wired sport bra #731439 for $26.97 instead of the standard $54.00. It was the only one of the several tried that had full coverage, with higher back and sides for support. Tried on Chantelle, Wacoal also. None were the right fit for me. A friend was with me and could see how it seems I could go 38/40/42 all based on how the bands fit etc.

• HGL4969
    HGL4969 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi - I've been intrigued by the Spanx bras for some time.  I am looking for a bra that give me a nicer shape. There are several ones I'd like to try on their website - but I have not found very many in stores here is in Chicago.  Does anyone have experiences with any Spanx bras on their reconstructed breasts?

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,154
    Options

Bump for people on Breast sizing

• Estel
    Options

MinusTwo - Thanks!

_____

For those who know their proper size…herroom and barenecessities are starting to have their clearance sales!

Time to catch those bras you've wanted but didn't want to pay full price! Winking

http://www.herroom.com

http://www.barenecessities.com

I've also done well buying from figleaves and they have amazing clearance deals going on right now. They ship from the UK, so it may take two weeks to get here. I would not buy from them if you think you may need to return it. But if you want to buy a brand you know will work, check them out for deals as well.

http://www.figleaves.com/us/

• Togetherness
    Togetherness Member Posts: 89
    Options

Thanks so much for this information. It is perfect timing as I am going in for my exchange on 1/29. I will definitely take a look at the bra websites yor recommended. I am just so anxious about this exchange and it being the last step in reconstruction.

• Estel
    Options

Togetherness - Love and hugs to you! Listen to your PS on their recommendations. Some want us in an underwire right away, others say no underwire for six weeks or more.

Best thing to do is go to a 'surgical fitter' at a Nordstrom or a privately owned bra speciality shop and get fitted by experienced fitters who have experience fitting women like us who have reconstructed breasts. If there is a Nordstrom near you, call ahead and make an appointment with a 'surgical fitter.'

Some of have more post-surgical swelling than others so you may need to wait several weeks before you make that appointment but keep us posted on how you do. Know we've been there and the waiting time is hard but it is worth it in the end. Love and hugs to you!

• Togetherness
    Options

Had my exchange two days ago and can't wait to get these drains out and heal and get into some of these pretty bras that are shown on these links. Will ask Monday when I go to the dr. How long I should wait before I get fitted

• roadrash
    roadrash Member Posts: 31
    Options

Congrats Togetherness. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Does anyone know why all the mastectomy bras I buy or non underwire bras leave dents and marks on the front of my breasts? It seems like no matter what I wear I get dents. I am ovrfilled now so I would really think that this would not be happening but alas it continues. I have spent over $400 on bras. The dents stay longer when I wear a mastectomy bra with hooks in the front. After 8-12 hours the indents do go away. MY ps had no response other than the marks go away.

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    Options

It just has to do with the new anatomy/composition of your breasts. I used to be able to wear bras with my natural breasts without getting dents, even though they fit snugly like they were meant too, now certain bras, like those with lace detailing, or seams, can leave little impressions for a while after removal. I figure it is because now all I have is a thin layer of tissue over a firmer implant, so my tissue gets more compressed between the two layers (the implant & the bra) whereas before there was not a firmer layer under for the skin to be pressed against. I kind of find it amusing, and call them my silly putty boobs. I have yet to try the comic/newsprint trick though, lol. I only wear regular (not mx) proper fitted underwire bras now, by the way, and this still happens with them. I try and pick bras with pretty lace so I have pretty lace impressions, ha. When I was still in front-hook post surgical bras, the rouching on them also left marks...rather deep ones since those bras worked by compression, not underwire support so there was more compression on tissue happening, and those dents did take longer to disappear after bra removal.

• Estel
    Options

roadrash - I didn't wear bras when I had my TE's. The most I ever wore were those hook up the front sports bras. As stated, the marks do go away.

Togetherness - I started wearing underwire bras six weeks after my exchange per recommendation of my P.S. As stated in the header, different P.S.'s have differing opinions on when to get fitted. The woman who started this thread was fitted right after her drains came out (her P.S.'s recommendation). We're all different on what kind of work was done during our exchange and some of us have swelling issues so a few weeks is better. Listen to what your P.S. recommends. You could get fitted right away and buy one or two and then go back six weeks later and buy a few more. :) Just know some of us, our band size goes down because we're swollen (not all of us, though). I was told to wear sports bras for the first six weeks, then I could wear whatever I want.

• roadrash
    Options

Thank you so much for the feedback. I am really so glad I asked the question. I truly get sick to my stomach everytime I see all these marks. Divecat- I am going to think of you when I take off this front hook compression bra later and see those deep marks and laugh. Yikes, I was making myself so nervous over those lines. I really had no idea what the heck was going on. I am also going to be realistic and shop for sports bras after this exchange. I don't even know if I am suppose to be still wearing these compression bras with hooks. I guess my ps and I play the don't ask, don't tell game alot. :P

• minustwo
    Options

Roadrash - Once the drains were out & I could get rid of the mastectomy bra, I wore only camisoles with my TEs. 7 months before recon w/implants. After that 2nd round & those drains were out, and again the mastectomy bra was gone, I wore only Danskin Sports Bras for 6-8 months.

I have to admit I went to Nordstroms when I had the TEs and bought two very expensive bras. Thank heavens I didn't buy any more since neither of them fit when I was done.

• Togetherness
    Options

Thank you Estel for the information. You all have great information. I will definitely follow the lead of my PS just hope I can get these drains out Monday and wear something else other then this surgical bra. I would like a little more support so the implants don't move laterally. We will see what he says.

Roadrash I have the same type of dr who plays the don't ask don't tell game. But if you don't now what questions to ask it makes it difficult. That is why I luv these boards. I am armed with questions when I come into my appts....... Lol. He is more than willing to answer but just doesn't give the info freely unless I ask. Rest and heal everyone

• Togetherness
    Options

Went to PS and drains were removed after 4 days yipeeeee! Had to promise not much arm movement. Which I would promise anything to get the drains removed. Said everything was healing nicely and would like me to move to a sports bra or non underwire bra. Not gonna buy the expensive ones, just something to give me support while I heal. I need to find a bra fitter in my area as we do not have a Nordstrom. For now I will just use my judgement and get something comfotable and supporting. Currently all I have are masectomy bras and Camis which offer no support. So many changes will be happening down the road with size, shape etc. Anything has to be better than this surgical bra. Hope everyone is doing well.

• Estel
    Options

Togetherness - YAY! Happy Congratulations on getting the drains removed! Enjoy the new freedom and don't do too much! xoxo

A lot of us wore some zip or hook up the front sports bras. They are hard to find in smaller band sizes so you may need to do some hunting if your band size is small. Wal-Mart, Kohl's, T.J. Maxx, Target, Sears are all places where you can find them:

http://www.herroom.com/fruit-of-the-loom-96014-com...

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5523-active-front-clo...

A "Duh" moment for me was realizing that what my P.S. meant as a sports bra was not what I was used to. As you know, we need to be careful with our arms and I'm struggling to get those over your head sports on … and that is when it hit me that he meant the kind you don't struggle in pulling them over your head. ShockedGet one that hooks in the back or in the front.

http://www.herroom.com/wacoal-856167-awareness-con...

Sadly, they are discontinuing the Wacaol Awareness (link above). A lot of us wore that one while we healed. But there are others like it. Natori is another good brand.

Get fitted when you can. Some speciality MX stores have good fitters and my local Dillards has good fitters too. You're not going to get the maximum benefit of wearing a bra if it isn't the proper size.

Congratulations again on getting those drains out!

• roadrash
    Options

Togetherness - Congrats on getting your drains removed and healing so fast.SmileI hope you find a good fitting bra and get out of those surgical bras. I haven't worn anything but those surgical bras in 3 +months. Happy bra shopping.

• Togetherness
    Options

Roadrash was that based upon your dr recommendation or are you just more comfortable in the surgical. I see you have an upcoming surgery to do the exchange.......congrats!! I did go to Khols and found some sports bra that hook in the front. Thanks Estel for the tip!!! They feel better and gives me more support. Tried on a couple non underwire and could not tolerate them due to the band rubbing on the drain holes. I was wiped out after that outing. Not as recovered as I thought..... Lol Maybe this weekend I will try Dillard's and see if they have a bra fitter there. Cause I definitely want to be wearing the right size bra. My insurance has paid for bras while I was in my masectomy stage, tissue expander stage, Wonder if they pay anything for bras after exchange? I am gonna check it out. I need to see if they cover nipple reconstruction or 3d tattooing anyway. Haven't decided which way to go yet. So while on the phone I will ask the question. I am going to donate all other bras to our local ACS office. They are in perfect condition and some even have the tags on them. Just a waste to throw out if someone can use them. Hey I donated 6 of my wigs.... Lol hope everyone is resting. I know I am

• vfay49
    vfay49 Member Posts: 51
    Options

It has been three months since my exchange surgery. I went for my first professional fitting yesterday. I am working on losing weight and was going to wait until I lost a little more before going for my first fitting, but I decided to see if a properly fitted bra made a difference in the discomfort I am experiencing (another story). I am a larger framed girl at 5' 8" tall and 180 lbs and my Allergan 655 FF anatomical implants do currently look small on me, but they do not feel small. I did not want the look of a large upper pole or any more stress on my pectoral muscles than necessary so I was happy with the implant choice.

Prior to my BMX I was a 38DDD. I recently measured my ribcage measurement to be 35 inches and the fullest part of my chest to be 41" inches. I know reconstructed breasts are wider and flatter, but I was really expecting a smaller band size and a larger cup size yesterday.

I was measured for three mastectomy bras--a sports bra (Amoena Performance O658) in a 42A and a comfort bra (ABC 110) in a Large (with hearts!), both of which I love. One other bra was ordered for me in a 42 AA that I do not current know the name of. I was also given Anita Sequitex breast forms to use in those mastectomy bras where I need extra projection. I will need to use the breast forms to fill out the sports bra and the more traditional bra that was ordered. The ABC 110 hooks in the front and can be used with or without the forms. All of this was covered by my insurance. I can get three bras every four months (12 per year) or four bras every six months (8 per year). I went with the latter.

http://www.herroom.com/Amoena-2794-Performance-Spo...

http://www.curediva.com/shop-by-product/bras/pocke...

I am wondering how many of you need to use the breast forms to fill out your bras. I know it depends on many factors, but I am wondering how many of you are wearing mastectomy bras with the pockets or whether you are you able to wear regular bras?

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    Options

vfay49 - I wear regular bras and do not need breast forms to fill them out. You do need to look around, and different brands and different models in brands are more suitable for some shapes than others. I have personally found the best luck with Panache and have several models, as several of their models are more shallow in the cup in the size I need compared to other brands, but other women on here have had great success with Freya, Natori, Wacoal, Chantelle, etc. I have had great luck with Panache Andorra, Porcelain Viva, and Envy. Before my surgery I could wear Chantelle, but now I find the cups a bit too deep for me even though I am the same size before and after surgery (UK 30E - about a US 30DDD). Before my surgery Panache never worked for me, so I am glad I tried them after!

I am sure I will have to start all over again after my revision in March though!

• vfay49
    Options

DiveCat, Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely make a note of those brands and will check to see if the shop I am going to carries any of them. I will be going back for additional bras in four months.

• Estel
    Options

vfay49 - You're fairly tall are you broad-shouldered too? MJB, a dear sister from these boards, was over six foot and she had broad shoulders and she had to go bigger than two inches of her band size. So, that may be a reason they fit you in a 42 band size.

If I were you, I'd try a 38 and and go up a few cup sizes. Sometimes they fit us in bras that they carry that may not be our actual size. Scared

Depending on the style, and the fabric of the bra there is going to be some room left at the tip since we don't have an aroela complex anymore. I find this most noticeable when I wear a lacy bra with no form in the cup. There is a little bit of a bunch at the tip. It bothered me at first but doesn't anymore. When I wear a t-shirt bra I don't notice it at all.

Panache bras work for me too as well as Freya. Besides a professional fitting (and get more than one. Not all fitters are experts or are very good) the most helpful thing I've ever done is go into a fitting room and just try-on bras. Sadly, Nordstrom doesn't carry my size anymore in the St. Louis stores. They don't have 30 D's anymore. There is a privately owned bra store that I've spent hours in that does carry my size and I've just tried on various brands, various styles. I'd encourage you to try on some 38 band sizes, try on some 40 band sizes and go up a few sizes in the cup as you go down in the band size. Experiment. And I would try another fitter too.

Keep us posted!

• vfay49
    Options

Estel, Thanks for the tips! I really liked the shop I went to this week. It was in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. I would recommend it to anyone living in the area. They carry quite a number of different brands and the fitter I had was very nice and accommodating.

http://www.wigsnmore.net/store/sports_bras.aspx

• horsemom
    horsemom Member Posts: 31
    Options

Does anyone have HAP insurance? We're you able to get bras covered

• Estel
    Options

horsemom - I don't know about that insurance company. Maybe someone will respond who does have it. Call them and ask. It doesn't hurt to ask because some do cover them.

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    Options

Has anyone that has already had their exchange surgery, have you ever heard of the Linder Bra?  It is sold by a Beverly Hills PS for $50.00 online.  It is for augmentation and reconstruction.  I am having my exchange surgery tomorrow and will be bound for a week in surgical bra and ace bandages.  I would like to hear someone's experience with this.  If no one has bought this, please tell me which bra you wore/ has to be sport type front zip, and where you got it.  Thanks, Robin

• minustwo
    Options

Robin - Sorry I haven't heard of Linder. I wore Fruit of the Loom bras with zippers from Wal Mart.

• Estel
    Options

robinblessed54 - I haven't heard of that bra either. I too wore a Fruit of the Loom hook up the front bra from Wal-Mart and an old zip up the front sports bra that I had forgotten about that I wore for the first six weeks after my exchange surgery. I then wore a Marena bra to sleep in that I still have.

Fruit of the loom bra: (Wal-Mart)

http://www.herroom.com/fruit-of-the-loom-96014-com...

zip up front sports bra: (Sears)

http://www.sears.com/hanes-women-s-zip-front-high-...

Marena bra: (ordered online)

https://www.marenagroup.com/comfortwear/product/co...

https://www.marenagroup.com/comfortwear/product/co...

They don't have the exact Marena bra that I have anymore but you get the idea from the bras above.

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    Options

Estel, thank you so much. I went to Wal Mart and got a pack of two Fruit of the Loom bras. Only $11.00!😀 Now I have some backups.