Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

Also, some of the lace styles had some stretch to them and the puckering is less noticeable … something like this:

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3281-rive-gauche-...

http://www.herroom.com/chantelle-3281-rive-gauche-…

And Wacoal has several bras that have some give in the cup area that helps hide the puckering too.

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290

Wacoal Awareness underwire and Wacoal Halo Molded Lace both have stretchy cups (rather than seamed) that can work well to accommodate shallower and or uneven breasts. I have two Halos #65149 in my sister size that I wear on tightest hooks and they are seriously comfortable and there is no puckering due to the stretch lace. Awareness was "too much bra" for me in my proper size, but it is really cut as a minimizer so has wide and shallow cups so many women have great luck with it.

Every bra brand and model is different. You may need to aim for shallower cups in general. I have had great success with Panache who is known to make some shallow cups. I have had particularly great fits with their Porcelaine Viva, Andorra, and Envy. The first is a lined cup and quite shallow, the last two are unlined 3-part cups but have stretch lace as well. I get slight puckering in Envy at the seam as it is a tad deeper than Andorra but it does not affect the support or look and is not noticeable unless you pinch at end. Andorra is so shallow that I actually went up a size to get more depth (from my usual 30E to 30F). It is my favourite bra though!

Natori is also known for some shallower cups, especially Feathers and Hidden Glamour.

Re narrower gores: if you need narrower gores and are having troubles finding them, you can actually pinch in the fabric in the gore and and sew it up with some simple stitches. I used to do this on many of my bras before surgery. However, when you try on bras you will need to try them on pinching in this are as it will move the underwires around and you may need to go to a different cup size.

Re lower wires in centre: look at plunge styles, like Andorra Plunge or Chantelle C Chic Sexy or the Natori Feathers. All have lower wires at gore and even if you need to pinch the fabric in middle and sew they should still remain lower than traditional wires.

• scubalady
    scubalady Member Posts: 49

Thanks Estel and DiveCat.  I'm going to look all those up and bookmark them forth next order I olace.  I'll give things another month to settle a bit more.

• LissaSue22
    LissaSue22 Member Posts: 3

Gosh, way to many pages on this thread! Can someone give me direction on a good bra for right after exchange? I'm still in my surgical bra, stuffed and bound up like a Christmas turkey. Doctor doesn't want me to remove bra or padding to shower until one week post op (in two days) and then I'm allowed to shower and re position pads and bra until my post op appt at 2 weeks...the following Tues. She had to do some pocket work on my right side which is why she doesn't want me to remove my bra, but I'm not sure what she'll want me to wear after my two week check up. I'll need a bra though. Advice anyone?? 

• DiveCat

LissaSue,

Does your PS want you in a wireless bra still? Lots of women seem to choose the wireless Wacoal Awareness after exchange. 

If you need a wired one, there are many options but best idea is to get fitted by a proper surgical fitter at a Nordstrom's. You will need a bra whose wires properly wrap around your implants but cup depth can be an issue...you generally need shallower cups. Brands that work well for many women are Wacoal, Natori, Freya etc though I found my best fit with Panache.

• hjpz
    hjpz Member Posts: 215

I have some Playtex bras I got at Shopko and Walmart that I have been wearing since my exchange in April - they are non underwire and look like a cross between a bra and a sports bra.  If you go to your local store I am sure you will find something similar.  I love them.   

• bc101
    bc101 Member Posts: 923

Lissa - After getting cleared to stop wearing the compression bras, I switched to Fruit of the Loom sports bras from Walmart - the ones that have hooks up the front. They worked great, were inexpensive and come in fun colors. 

• LissaSue22
    LissaSue22 Member Posts: 3

Thank you ladies! 

• kcat2013
    kcat2013 Member Posts: 53

I'm frustrated with my bras!  About 2.5 months after exchange I went and got fitted, came home with 2 Chantelle bras.  They fit well and were supportive.  Well, recently (4 months post exchange) I've been noticing pain on the side of my foobs about halfway through the day.  Took off my bra and looked things over and the wire is no longer sitting around the implant. It is now sitting on the side of it.  So is this a result of drop/fluff??? I'm sad to have spent so much on these bras and can no longer wear them.  I'm thankful I only bought 2, I almost bought more! Should I wait longer before buying more bras in case they  change more? I have soft, ugly bras I can wear in the meantime :)   

Kendra

• 2nd_time_around
    2nd_time_around Member Posts: 14,084

kcal, I can relate. A year and a half post exchange. Bought some bras, they fit perfectly and comfortable till several hours later. Then they're puckering and don't fit at all. I must be strange.

• DiveCat

Kendra...

Do you swoop and scoop? 

It may be due to drop and fluff..it can happen for several months after surgery. When they drop and fluff the silicone shifts more to fill out the bottom of the implant/pocket so the wires could now by too narrow and/or the cup too shallow at the bottom pushing the cups "out" so the wires rest on the implant instead of on the ribcage (think of trying to push an orange inside a drinking glass...the volume of the glass is right, but the shape of the glass is all wrong for the orange so the glass sits on top of the orange).

If swoop and scooping does not work, you can try selling or swapping them on bratabase :)

• bc101

Divecat - thanks for the tip on bratabase. I love this thread - there's so much to learn here.

My PA told me to wait 4 to 6 months to see the final results of my new foobs. They look great now (I'm 3 months out), but was told by my MO I'd be seeing a lot of changes. I tried on zillions of bras at two masctectomy shops and at Nordstrom's but none seemed to fit. I did buy one at Nordstrom's but ended up returning it as I also had the dreaded end of the day discomfort. As for the pucker problem, they suggested putting in a small pad for filler, but I didn't want to do that. So I decided to wait to buy bras for a month or so, even though gummy bears don't do the drop and fluff. About the best fit I found was Amoena Mona softcups: http://www.herroom.com/amoena-2568-mona-soft-cup-...

lI'll be gathering my wish list in the meantime.

• dianems
    dianems Member Posts: 46

Well, this proves that every doctor is different.  I had the 1 week post-op visit yesterday.  PS says everything looks fine.  My sternum naturally bends outward a bit, right at the cleavage point. I always had a wider space between my breasts but, could compensate by scooping the real ones up and in with a bra.   He did some medial pocket work to try and lessen the space between the 2 implants.  He wants me in a bra 24/7 but NOT a sports bra without 2 separate molded cups.  He says the other sports bras tend to flatten out the implants. And, Not the soft Genie bras or Fruit of the Looms which someone had mentioned.   Underwires, or not, is up to me but, the bra must have a lot of lateral support and push in from the sides....but Not Up.  So after his office I went to Kohls and Walmart to look at the Bali which had been recommended on here. Also, I liked the Danskin high impact sports bra that had 2 separate molded cups.   Neither store had my size (32 DD)  !!!    So today I went to a bra / mastectomy shop.  The ladies knew the exact brands which would achieve the lateral push-in but, had only 1 that fit me - a Curvy Kate Starlet which fit me at 32E.   A Panache, 32DD,  has been ordered.  I also have a Wacoal Clear Comfort, that pulls them towards the center, that I can use at night.  Tomorrow I will try Nordstroms.  Man, I thought the only things that were hard to shop for were jeans and swimsuits.  Now add bra to that list.

• kcat2013

Thanks divecat and 2ndtime.  I am doing the swoop and scoop, the fitter told me to do that back when I bought the bras.  I'm guessing the implants have just settled more.  Oh well, hopefully they are in their final resting place now, ha! :)  Thanks for suggesting the bratabase, I've never heard of it.  

Kendra

• Dulcigirl
    Dulcigirl Member Posts: 864

kcat...also be careful with your washing methods. Are you hand or delicate washing so that the wires don't get bent? I bought one Chantelle that fit just after exchange. It felt pretty comfy. 3 months later I could not stand it. It pinched and poked in the wrong places. :-(

Lots of changing in those early days! But I don't regret paying good money for a bra that helped support and secure the implants in the right spot. I wore that thing 24/7! It was a good investment. Now I wear Waccoal Awareness in 2 different styles. I learned what size and style fits me, bought ONE at Nordstroms and have purchased the rest from Ebay or Nordstrom's Rack. They may not be the sexiest bra, but they fit me perfectly, are very comfortable, and come in lots of pretty colors. Some day when I have time and $$ I'd like to find out what my Freya fit is. So pretty!!!!! 

• kcat2013

dulcigirl, I have been hand washing or using the hand wash cycle on the washing machine and then laying flat to dry.  I've been so careful with them since I've never spent so much money on bras!  I think I need to try on some Wacoal bras, I haven't tried those yet.  

Kendra

• Estel

A couple of bra related things:

1)  I was parousing bareneccesities and came across a Chantelle sports bra.  Some of you may have seen this before but I never have.  I never knew Chantelle made sports bras.  I haven't tried it but I post it here in case anyone here wants to try it and post a review.  Happy

http://www.barenecessities.com/chantelle-maximum-c...

2)  Often at this time of year you can snatch up deals from our favorite on-line sites.  Belle-lingerie was a seller on e-bay that I bought a lot of bras from a few years ago.  I don't buy from her anymore because I have plenty Winking.  But tonight I looked over her site and found some Freyas that I have not seen on the online sites in the U.S.  Any of you Freya fans need to check out what she has.  There are a couple that I find very tempting …. SillyHeart

http://www.belle-lingerie.co.uk

• momto7
    momto7 Member Posts: 114

Has anyone bought this bra? I was thinking of ordering it today it looks comphy

http://www.dreamproducts.com/lingerie-bras/doctors...

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754

So very disappointing that neither Nordstroms nor Dillards carried any wireless Sports Bras with any decent side support. Did try the Wacoal bra so many like. It will need to wait until mine have dropped and fluffed more, as well as the fat grafting getting done. They felt marvelous though. Until then, the outer lacy layer rippled too much. I'd have been constantly adjusting - not my game plan.

Need good side support since had the mudflaps removed and will need to fine-tuning about the dogears left from it. Recommendations???

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,269

GalSal - I've been diagnosed w/truncal LE and was looking everywhere for a bra w/good side support that wasn't high in the front & wasn't a sport "T" in the back & did come up under my arms. Got the best thing this week. Really nice looking for a compression bra. I've had it on since Tuesday and it's super comfortable. Sydney Compression Bra from WearEase.

http://www.wearease.com/wear-ease-products/product/view/5/34

• Estel

Galsal - I just quickly browsed heroom.com and selected the sports bra, wireless options on the left side of the page and the "Anita" and "Enell" and "Moving Comfort" brands stood out as some that might work. They are good brands with good support. Others, like MinusTwo, may chime in with some others.

It's been four years since I wore a wireless sports bra but the "Tata Tamer" from Lululemon was one I wore for a bit and it provided good support.

http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accesso...

• Galsal

Rats...the TaTa Tamer is gone not only in my size but a sister size too.

• Galsal

The wearease - how do I order that? I'm a 38DD. Bali when showing L or XL doesn't even come close to closing with strangling my band area. I'm concerned if I go up too high the compression won't be effective. Thoughts?

• bc101

I love my wear ease camisole!! I was fitted with this in a mastectomy shop shortly after my BMX and insurance covered it. I have had swelling under my arm near the left foob since surgery. Even though no one has said to me, "You have truncal lymphedema," I believe I do. The only thing that feels good for me is a sports bra or compression camisole. With any bra I tried on so far it always feels too tight around the band.

http://www.wearease.com/wear-ease-products/post-su...

Wear ease has a new compression T shirt, but all their products look great for women like me.

http://www.wearease.com/wear-ease-products/compres...

• Estel

Galsal - I found two that might work for you.

One is a Panache wireless sports bra. I've never tried the wireless, but I love the underwire version.

Here is a link to the wireless Panache:

http://www.herroom.com/panache-7341-wireless-sport...

I also found a Freya wireless. The cup on this bra isn't ideal … it kind of gives you a torpedo shape … but it is worth a try. You can always return if it doesn't work for you.

This one is on clearance. There are two left in your size right now:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4001-soft-cup-sport...

Here is another Freya wireless in black and red:

http://www.herroom.com/freya-aa4391-active-soft-cu...

If and when you are able to wear a wireless sports bra, the Panache sports bra and the Bendon Max Out both have worked well for me .

http://www.herroom.com/panache-5021-full-busted-un...

http://www.herroom.com/bendon-73-408-max-out-techn...

• Estel

bc101 - Thank you so much for sharing your success with the wear-ease camisole. Lymphedema is a *&%# … I only have bad words for that condition … I have it in my left hand. Thanks again for sharing what has worked for you!

• Galsal

I did try the Wacoal Awareness wireless bra and it was great. Except for that lace overlay. TYhat bit caused trouble truying to keep it smooth - it wanted to wrinkle up and of them. Love the bra and would wear if it weren't for that lace covering. Dillard sized me at 38DD with that one. Any thing like that? I'm guessing that those who can't reach fully behind have to connect them up in front first and turn around as pulling it up. Some of us live alone. :)

• Estel

Galsal - I live alone too and those bras I posted hook in the back like regular bras.

• Galsal

Okay thanks. I'm guessing most hook it in front first and swivel it to the back before bringing it up so a swoop/scoop can be done (such as can me). I'll figure it out since have those mudfalp incisions that I think wouldn't like it done like that with a very tight band.

I do enjoy reading through all of the pages - haven't completed all quite yet though!

• momto7
    momto7 Member Posts: 114

Okay I ordered the Dream bra 3 of them and got them yesterday so I started wearing it today the bra feel great and very soft a lot better than the damn surgical bra I have been wearing sports bras untill my revision After Christmas I will go to be fitted

Smile