Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Options

Comments

• kingster
    kingster Member Posts: 289
    Options

Good luck robibblessed on your exchange surgery tomorrow. Mine is Friday, lol.

Estel, what is a Marena bra?? Where do you get one? I will have to look into those fruit of the loom bras. I bought bali bras from Sam's club.

I have never heard of the Linder bra. Wouldn't be nice if the ps would give us more bra guidance. It's more difficult than one might think to find a cute bra that fits these man made foobs.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    Options

robinblessed54 - Hugs and love to you! Thinking about you re tomorrow! Glad you were able to find something! Keep us posted on how you do.

kingster - google or kick on the link "Marena bra" and you'll see them. I've never seen them in a store. I heard about them here right after I had my exchange in the summer of 2010. I like the one I have very much. I still sleep in it at times. Again, I've never seem them in a store. I had to return the first one I bought …it was way too big and they were great with exchanges. If you haven't yet, go and get professionally fitted for a bra. It is difficult to find something that works… and it doesn't help that most of us were wearing the wrong size to begin with. If you have a Nordstrom nearby, start there and ask for a "surgical fitter" and make an appointment. It takes a lot of patience, and trial and error to find what works for us.

• kingster
    Options

Thanks Estel. I don't have a Nordstrom, but wonder if Macy's does that post surgical fitting? I will look that up. I googled the Linder bra. It looks very nice, but a little pricey. Wonder if insurance would pay for a portion of that?

Robinblessed, take care and will say a little prayer for u😃

• kingster
    Options

Estel, what is LE that you were diagnosed with in 9/2010? Thanks again.

• Lucy1010
    Lucy1010 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Hi everyone. My exchange was scheduled for March 30 but was postponed until September 14. My PS did clear me to run with a supportive sports bra. Anyone from the St. Louis area have any recommendations on good stores in the area?

• Estel
    Options

Lucy1010 - I've been to both the Nordstroms in STL area. I like the fitters better at the Galleria store but that may have been just the luck of the draw. I don't like the lingerie set up at the West County Store, their inventory has gone way down and they don't carry my size anymore (30D). At either Nordstrom, call first and make an appointment with a 'surgical fitter.'

http://www.saintlouisgalleria.com

http://www.shopwestcountycenter.com

I really like Ann's Bra Shop as far as surgical fitters they are in the best in the STL area in my opinion.

http://www.brashop.com/locations.aspx

• Estel
    Options

kingster - My local Macy's is horrible … the sales people at my local store know very little about bras in general and absolutely nothing regarding reconstructed breast fitting. Yours may be different, but my experience at my local store puts them at the very bottom of my list. My local Dillard's is good…maybe try there? Also, look in your area for a privately owned bra shop, those are generally good at fittings. I drove two hours to get a Nordstrom for my initial fitting; it was worth it. Most of us wore ill fitting bras before our surgery and we need someone skilled not only in bra fittings in general, but it reconstructed breast fittings to give us a baseline on what our size is and what brands work best for our body.

Yes, I was diagnosed with LE in 2010. I have Lymphedema worse in my left hand than anywhere else. I'm managing it now but it has been a huge learning curve and was devastating at first. I control it through Manual lymph drainage, exercise, what I eat, bandaging when needed and compression sleeves. I've learned what my triggers are and that has helped immensely to manage it. There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding lymphedema. I found the LE threads on BCO to be immensely helpful.

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    Options

This is the bra I got after my mastectomy.

Amazon.com: Mastectomy Bra Leisure Size M-A/B Grey: Health & Personal Care

It's very comfortable and has pockets for prosthesis. I bought 2 and lived in them until my exchange surgery 4 months later. I still sleep in them 2 years later, mostly because I have to have light compression or my foob really starts to ache. I wear the Bali 3488 during the day and the Leisure bra at night. Still can't get comfy in an underwire.

• Estel
    Options

lala1 - Thank you! I know you've had a tough time finding what works for you. Thank you for sharing what has worked.

• robinblessed54
    robinblessed54 Member Posts: 485
    Options

Got home at 1:00 from EX! Ge put in Allergan Natrelle 410 Gummies 475 cc. Had to cut capsule to get symetry on right side. Pain there but only 3-4. Thanks for the prayers

• kingster
    Options

Robin, So glad to hear that your surgery went well. I ordered the "Linder bra" today because it looked like it would really do the job:) I will update on what I think about it. It is being shipped today, and I just put the order in this am. They even called me to clarify my address before shipping it, which I thought was nice.

• Estel
    Options

robin - Wahooooo! Prayers for continued recovery! Hugs!

• Lucy1010
    Lucy1010 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Estel - I went to Ann's bra shop and they were wonderful. I got a Panache sports bra and it fits great. I am a member of the bra club so my 7th bra is free:) Thanks for your help.

• robinblessed54
    Options

We don't have Ann's here but an hour away Bra Garden in Orange County CA. We also have Nortstroms 1/2 hour away.

Day one post exchange! Doing fine pain is slight on right side due to some cutting of capsule. Hug

• Estel
    Options

Lucy1010 - Yay! Glad you had a good experience and especially you found something that works! Happy

robinblessed54 - It's worth the half hour drive to get properly fitted in a few weeks. Call first and make an appointment with a 'surgical fitter.' Glad you're doing so well! Take it easy…it's easy to overdue right after our surgery. Hugs back and take care! Heart

• howdidigethere
    howdidigethere Member Posts: 34
    Options

Hi ladies!  I've purchased more camis & bras in the last year!  When the TEs were placed, they sent me home with nothing and I used Bali soft sport bras.  Then they wanted me in a loose cotton cami.  Then we switched to a cami that was snugger, Jockey.  Now I'm in a Hanes cotton sports bra that is not tight just snug.  Of course that was a couple different PS's and the PT person.  However, now I'm getting ready for my exchange and have detailed instructions from my new PS to purchase a Warner bra soft style, no lace and wirefree, in several sizes that I will start wearing 5 days post exchange and 24/7 for 3 weeks.  Then I'm really hoping to do some serious pretty bra shopping.

So with my TEs, I measure a 32C (band 29", cup 35") which is not available in the Warner's soft styles.  With post-surgery swelling should I consider 34B and possible 34C?  For a 32C, is there another brand that someone would recommend? 

• kingster
    Options

howdidigetthere, I just had my exchange surgery Friday. Already much more comfortable than the expanders. I was allowed to shower today and change to a soft bra. I got my Linder bra today, so I am wearing that. It is a cross between my surgibra from the hospital and a sports bra. Zips and 2 clasps in the front, nice cushioned strip down the center. Black with pink lining. The lining is cotton and spandex. The outside is smooth nylon and spandex. I was told to use Vaseline on incisions. I didn't notice much post op swelling. I guess, get the size you wear now, and then one bigger and one smaller. I look smaller with the implants, but I guess it takes 4-6 months before things settle. Good luck.

• Estel
    Options

howdidIgethere -here is one:

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5493-rosa-faia-classi...

I'm having computer issues so I can't search anymore right now … but if you go to herroom … search "32C" and then in the search criteria on the left, pick 'non-wire.' Hope you can find something that works. I wore a Wacoal soft-cup for a while after my exchange … it is discontinued now but know there are some out there that will work. Hugs and I'll check back tonight.

• howdidigethere
    Options

kingster:  Congratulations on your exchange!  Looks like you had a TE problem early on also and mixed ER/PR as I did.  In my case, one was right and the other left!  I am looking forward to the same comfort that I'm hoping the exchange will bring.  Thanks for the info on the Linder bra; I had looked at those online yesterday and will look again today based on your info.  I forgot that I might need to go smaller too.  Are you posting pics on the forum?

estel:  I was on herroom yesterday and will go back today to look at the Wacoal soft-cup bras which I've seen recommended by others.  And check out the smaller sizes too as kingster mentioned.

Thanks!

• happilyretired
    happilyretired Member Posts: 2
    Options

willhave my exchange in April P.S. says to get an underwire to wear. How do I know what size to get ater surgery? also what kind of restrictions are there afterthatsurgery?

• robinblessed54
    Options

you will have same lifting restrictions as before. No arm movements above shoulders. I was told to get a front closure sport bra no wires. So odd how the instructions are so different.

• kj123
    kj123 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi there Ladies,

I had my bmx 1/9/15 with lat flap, and immediate TE's. I had my 2nd and (last) fill last week, so now I have 450 cc's and I feel HUGE, as well as very uncomfortable.  That said, I don't know if they can remove a small amount or not, but I know I will not want the permanent implants to look or feel this big.  That said, my PS did not have me wear a bra at all for at least 6 weeks, but I am trying a soft stretchy one without seams for a while to see how it works (Bali no seams w/ back hook closure, but that's not a problem).  I am optimistic that some of you are exchanging to permanent type so well.  Thank you for sharing your experiences.

• kingster
    Options

I also felt like a huge water truck after my tissue expanders were filled. I had 700ml each side. Over time, with much stretching and massage, they were more tolerable. I was er, pr pos on the left and er, pr neg on the right. Anyway, so thankful my exchange surgery went well. Very minimal pain, especially compared to the expanders. My ps said limit overhead arm movements for 2 days, then gradually increase. Shower after 3 days, then soft bra. He may switch me to underwire as he did with the expanders after my next appointment, but not sure. I have learned that every ps is different and gives instruction based on what works best for them. I guess, just go with your ps instructions, as they know what your surgery involved. I have bought so many bras since July. I keep changing them, like breaking in new shoes, lol. Some just give more support in some areas than others. I do like the Linder bra so far, but I use a Bali or softer bra at night. I am nervous to go without a bra until I talk with my ps. I just want to keep these 700 ml implants in the correct position. I have read, after 3 or 4 months, your own capsule that forms will hold them in place. I definitely feel a huge difference since exchange to silicone jels! Take care. I didn't post any pics. My husband is a minister and that probably would not be a good idea:)

• vfay49
    vfay49 Member Posts: 51
    Options

Kingster, May I ask the names of your breast surgeon and plastic surgeon? I had my BMX at Magee and exchange surgery at Shadyside. My surgeons were Dr. Bonaventura and Dr. Gimbel, and I have been very pleased with both.

• howdidigethere
    Options

kingster:  Your receptors were on the identical sides as mine!  And the instructions are sure different from PS to PS.  My husband couldn't believe that I would post pictures on the forum but it has been helpful for feedback.  And I haven't posted any face shots although many do.  It takes special access to get in so I've trusted the system they have in place.  And seeing all the befores and afters has helped a lot too.

• kingster
    Options

I don't think that I have access to the picture forum. Not sure even how to get that? It took me a good while just to learn how to log in, lol.

Vfay, my breast surgeon is Dr. Gannon, and my plastic surgeon is Dr. Raszewski. Both at Jefferson hospital. I work at Jefferson, so my insurance paid at the highest level there. I have highmark insurance and cannot go to Magee. I have heard that Dr. Gimble is excellent. I really do love my docs and know they will do their very best to take care of me. I feel like family there:) My friend had a tissue based reconstruction by Dr. Gimble and was pleased. I am just so happy that my implants feel so much more comfortable than the expanders, which were horrible. I just could not sleep at all with them in, which made it very hard to keep up with my full time and overtime work schedule.

• DiveCat
    DiveCat Member Posts: 290
    Options

Had my revision today and back in my sports bras/surgical bra for 4 weeks. Don't think most, if not all my lovely underwires will fit anymore as width changed. I promised them to someone on picture forum (I think!) if that was the case though. I guess I'll be back on bra hunt again in a few weeks, most styles I liked might not even work now as I switched to anatomicals (maybe the Andorras will though due to their shape/stretch lace p!).

• howdidigethere
    Options

Divecat:  Congratulations on your exchange!  Hope you are feeling well tonight.  Keep us posted.

• robinblessed54
    Options

I had a fitting at Nordstroms yesterday. The sports bras I was wearing were leaving marks on my new girls! I got a Wacoal regular fitting bra, but they fit me so it acts like a tight fitting sport bra. fits really good and I went up a whole cup size! I am two weeks out from surgery. Glue still holding me together. how long does it take for it to come off?

• kingster
    Options

Robin, my glue is still on as well, about an inch on both sides. I like having the extra protection. I think it seals out germs, and seems to be keeping the incisions flatter and less irritated. My first day back to work post ex. Went well😃