Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

I will check it out Jerusha -- thanks!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Lilah:  Thanks for that post.  Since I have been a B cup all of these years, what I am realizing is that that larger cup sizes are also large all over and I do like the skimpy, underwire look that I have been wearing all of these years, just in a larger size.  I can find a 36 D on line in the style that I want from Warners, but if I am a 34DD it doesn't come in this size.  I also notice Victorias Secret has 34DD, but I think someone mentioned that they run small.  I might just have to re-think what I like in bras now.

Val:  I saw the beautiful Chantelle Balconette Bras at Macys I think.  They are beautiful but my Dr said no underwires.  I think mine is sutured to the side and underneath the muscle for good measure.

• MBJ

Jerusha:  Wow, that is a really pretty bra, but I can see how it could show under certain clothes.  It's one of those bras you want to show through LOL!  Beautiful.  Wonder if it's good for sleeping in?  My husband would love it!

• MBJ

Lilah:  The Chantalle Bra is very retro sexy, and I bet it looks great under sweaters.  It's going to be hard to wrap my brain around the size difference.  I don't really feel that big.  Of course, I am also in this surgical compression bra contraption that works like a minimizer and looks awful under everything so I am really wanting to wear my normal clothes and to be able to buy a pretty bra.  So far, I haven't really tried much on with my new foobs, but what I have tried on just fits better.  Very natural.

• Lilah

MBJ -- I'm sure you'll work it out.  For what it's worth, my PS said I don't have to stay in wirefree forever (and I am in wirefree for the same reason as you are for now)... so there is hope you will be able to get back to the skimpier underwires eventually. 

• MBJ

Lilah:  I think after 3 weeks of wearing this torture device compression bra thingy, just about anything is going to look sexy LOL!  My husband thinks this bra is hot though and keeps calling me Barbarella.

• waldo
    waldo Member Posts: 145

Hi Ladies,  MIA my new job is wrecking havoc on my cyber life!! 

Val, Any favorite pics for a comfy demi for 32 DDD?? 

Nips scheduked fo1st week in Sept and Komen Race is a few days later. I am hoping to be "finis" too by year's end!

• Lilah

LOL MBJ -- your husband is a doll!

Waldo -- good to see you!

• Anna_M
    Anna_M Member Posts: 88

Val thank you for the inspiration on Komen and for your words of encouragement regarding the nips.  It is hard to imagine my foobs with nips but after seeing all the great pictures you all have shared it really does give it that reality of having breasts.  Thank you all for sharing! 

• cleo100
    cleo100 Member Posts: 75

Jerusha, thanks for the link to the sleep bra. I will pursue that this afternoon. Val, sorry about the early complications for you but so relieved that all turned out well. This is such a "learn as you go" for all of us. Vanderlady, as of now I have no opinion on my 45's. I had to call my plastic surgeon yesterday(Saturday!) because I have an awful case of hives or some allergic reaction to ? my compression bra? He instructed me to stop taking the cephalexin antibiotic and to start using some oral benedryl until the redness is gone. He also said I could remove the compression bra and wear one of my sports bras. Upon removing my bra(very hesitantly as I didn't know what to expect!) I noticed little red bumps almost everywhere but largely around the bra line. Also, on my non-prophy side I have a deep red blood blister or something to that effect. I don't like the looks of it but my husband thinks it's the trauma from surgery. I don't know if you remember but I had an extra emergency surgery after my bilateral msx for a hematoma. Wondering what this thing is. Luckily I see my plastic surgeon Tuesday. Back to the 45's, I was truly shocked but pleased when I awoke and my husband showed me the implant cards. I guess my doctor really listened to me. I look rather flat right now (even with 650 cc's) but I will be patient. That's one thing I definitely learned from this site and you wonderful ladies! Thanks.

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

Jerusha- The Marena sleep bra is the "surgical bra" my PS sent me home in post-exchange!  It may not be the prettiest girl at the party but it was so comfortable.  I actually like sleeping in it.  Great suggestion for others!

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

Cleo -- I'm surprised you think you look flat in the 45's.... they have the highest projection, don't they? 

• MBJ

Kate:  I went and had a look at the Marena Sleep Bra and it very specifically says it is Sexy & Sensous LOL!  I have to say it's way prettier then what they are making me wear.  My compression bra in smooshing me from the sides and the top.  Ouch!!!

• cleo100

Vanderlady, yes, the 45's have the greatest projection. I believe these are 6.1 cm. Compared to my expanders though,  I look like I have a sports bra on even with no bra. I believe it has something to do with the drop and fluff which I anxiously await. I still have that nasty rash eventhough I stopped the antibiotic. The itch is maddening!!! Benedryl just puts me in a stupor with little relief. Tomorrow I see my plastic surgeon. Still concerned with the deep red blotch on my left breast near incision line.

• MBJ

Cleo:  I hope everything is okay and nothing serious.  Wishing you a fast and speedy recovery.

• cleo100

Thanks, MBJ. I'll let you know what he says after my appointment tomorrow. In the meantime, the rash is from my hairline to my waistline! YUK! What am I allergic to? The only known allergy I've ever experienced is to sulfa and that was on my hospital records.

• vanderlady

Cleo -- Get some Probiotics.... perhaps that might help.  My daughter just had a yeast infection that was driving her nuts..... it took me a day before I realized I had the Probiotics in the fridge.  She was so happy, as her symptoms were gone in a day. 

• Kate33

MBJ- Sexy and Sensuous?  OMG!  Who makes this stuff up?  More like Matronly and Mundane- but oh so comfortable for sleeping!

• MBJ
    Kate:  I thought you would enjoy that!Wink
  • cleo100

Vanderlady, thanks for the suggestion of probiotics. I think my favorite yogurt has probiotics in it. Off to go check the label.

• cleo100

Hi, everyone. Back from the plastic surgeon and thankfully all is well. He noticed the allergic reaction but doesn't know what caused it. The bra they sent me home in is identical to my post msx bra. They did have me on a different antibiotic which he stopped over the weekend. He removed my steristrips and gave me permission to shower. The best news today was hearing that the scary, red blotch is just a normal result of surgery. He said to wear a sports bra or other support bra 24/7 for the next 6 weeks. I'm a music teacher and school starts Thursday. After hearing today's good news, I'm excited about starting a new year with my new self! Thanks everyone for your concern and care throughout this crazy episode of mine.

Linda

• MBJ

Cleo:  Yay for you!!!

• vanderlady

Yeah Cleo.... man with that type of projection, when you go back to school, try not to poke people with those new 45's...... hahaha.

• cleo100

I'm still laughing from that comment, Vanderlady! I know that these implants have some great projection but right now I look really modest and quite subdued! Honestly! I sure hope the drop and fluff doesn't suddenly happen and I scare myself!

• imblessed2
    imblessed2 Member Posts: 1

Is this thread for implants only?  My PS didn't say anything to me about bra's.  I finally ( 4wks today post op) started wearing a sports bra as I had sutures and areas around the molded breast that hasn't fully healed yet.  I know what you mean about feeling better with a bra on vs not!

• MBJ

Going for my bra fitting at Nordstroms today so wish me luck!!!

• MBJ

ladysingsdablues:  Many of us are here from the implant Exchange City thread, but anyone who has had reconstruction and is having issue with trying to find bras is welcome here!!!

• Kate33

MBJ- Good luck at Nordy's!!!  Hope you have a great experience like I did.  Deborah predicted I was going to be a D cup and I was.  So you better head right to the DD's because the "bra whisperer" has spoken!  LOL!!!

• MBJ

LOL!! Kate!  I don't know about a double D but I guess I'm going to find out.  My friend who is a natural D cup looks 2 x bigger then me so it's weird how the sizing works.  I guess it has to do with the width!

• cs7777
    cs7777 Member Posts: 303

Hi Ladies, 

Hope all are doing well (I haven't gone back to read missed pages...sorry).  I wanted to post a link to an article in today's NYTimes about bras for us small-busted gals (AAA-B cups was their definition):  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/02/fashion/02Small.html?ref=style

I know most of you are larger but for those of us who stuck with the A cups we were before this lists lots of bra brands, websites, and stores in a few places that are now specifically catering to us A-cup gals.  Pretty bras, not just training bras!  :)

CS