Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Giselle7
    Giselle7 Member Posts: 70

Alright ladies. We are a team for sure. It's time to buy some stock in these companies! Congratulations to all of you who now feel comfy and sexy in your new bras! 

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

Oooo, might have to visit my local TJMaxx!  Can someone recommend a good sports bra? I like the T-backs. Thanks, Pam

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

tamgam - TJMaxx and Marshalls are GREAT places to find bras, if you're willing to just dig a little.  They don't often have smaller band sizes with larger cups, but usually have lots of 34's and 36's.  Don't you just love to find a good deal?

Kate - Congrats on the 32D, girl!  So fun for you!  You know, a good fitting underwire SHOULD feel pretty comfy, so it sounds like you were well fit.  Yippee!

Giselle - He's going to Loyola.....(wanted Northwestern - along with 30K other kids).....this is a better fit for him anyway, I think.  Congrats on your daughter starting law school - so exciting!

• whitedove
    whitedove Member Posts: 121

Hi all: Congratulations on all the newly exchanged here! (excuse the repost)

Back from exch and feeling fine. Came back with bra dilemma as PS said underwires were not recommended after exchange because they could "cut off the blood flow". This would be especially cautioned for women with incisions going across the front of the breast because the pressing wires could decrease circulation from the bottom up. (??!?) PS said that after 6 weeks, when internal healing was complete, underwires were OK. Just thought I'd pass on what PS said, as opions vary so much and it is hard to know what the best thing is to do. I would love to compare what others have heard from their PS about this.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    whitedove - saw my PS on Tuesday for my 4-week follow up and he told me no under-wires for three months.  I was disappointed because of everything I've read on here.  Hmmm ... it really is interesting how diverse PS's opinions are on this issue.
  • tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83

Whitedove- my PS is not an advocate of HAVING to wear a bra but is thinks its fine if I choose to.  He has no problem with underwires right away either. He is sure his "work" will hold up just fine even without a bra but like so many others, I find wearing one more comfy since the exchange.  Good luck!

• Giselle7

My PS recommends no underwire. I had to ask the question though, otherwise I don't believe he would have commented at all. It is very interesting and confusing that there are no standards set for bras after surgery. We are very fortunate to have this site so that we can make our own educated decisions.

Whitedove - Congratulations on your exchange. Smile

val - Loyola is a great school in a great location. Several of my daughter's friends have graduated and are gainfully EMPLOYED. 

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Very Important:  voting started today on Timtam's site to move forward with the new one or stay with the old.  Please vote as they need at least 50 interested to proceed with the picture forum and the poll ends the 28th!

• Estel

Thanks, MBJ!  - Hope you're doing well.  Please tell us about the great unveiling!  :)

RE the picture forum ... please do something!  i still can't get in there and won't until decisions are made!  Timtam pm'd me and asked if it is urgent for me to get in there and I said no ... but I would really like to see the pics.  So ... I second MBJ ... please vote!  :)

• Estel

Vitamin E - I don't know if it was on here, but I started taking vitamin E orally and have noticed a drastic change not only in the color of my incisions, but also in the pain level of scar tissue.  I'd read that it helps prevent capsular constricture (sp?) and I just wanted you all to know, that it has really helped me! 

• vanderlady

Yes.... I second what Dawn-Hope says about voting for the picture forum. 

• MBJ

DawnHope:  If all goes well, I will have my :"unveiling" on Tuesday at noon.  Crossing my fingers.  Vote Ladies!!!

• whitedove
    whitedove Member Posts: 121
    Hi and again, it's great to hear about everyone's good experiences with the "final results". Dawn - wow, 3 months no underwire. Yes, I know what you mean about the frustration after having had the "kid in a candy store" feeling after sighing over all of those gorgeous bras this thread has introduced me to. btw The Freya's are to die for. I have scoured the internet about the guidelines and recommendations for bras post-exchange and uncannily concluded that the most info on this topic is right here. I doubt if a unanimous recommendation between PSs even exists.
  • don23
    don23 Member Posts: 213

MBJ -  I just voted. I don't go on the picture forum that often so I'm glad that you posted that info. Can't wait to hear about your "unveiling"!

• MBJ

I can't wait until I actually get to see what mine look like LOL!  All wrapped up in this contraption stuffed with gauze is absolutely no indication of how they will look.  I can tell they are much softer!  I have no cleavage as of yet, but maybe with the right bra! 

Kate:  Congratulations on your new D's!!  You may have to get some stilletto boots after all to wear in the foobmobile! 

• Estel

MBJ - I didn't notice any cleavage in mine until about three weeks after my exchange.  I'm betting there is some!  :) 

• Giselle7

Dawne-Hope and MBJ - If there is any way you can vote for those of us who don't yet have access to the forum please put a vote in for me. Thanks!

• Estel

I went back to the beginning of this thread to write down all of the bras that fit where I'm at that you all have suggested.  Between the bras at the beginning of the thread and about an hour and a half later, I made it to page 7!  LOL!  Then I went and looked them up and those Freya bras are gorgeous!!  I didn't have good luck at Nordstrom's last week and so I am going to take a special trip tomorrow to a masectomy bra shop.  My question is:  Those freya's don't completely cover the breast ... for some reason, don't know why, I thought the foobs need complete coverage.  Are the freya's only good for special outings, or can we wear them everyday?  They are sooooo pretty ... I'd love to get one.  Sorry for my ignorance!  And would one of you fly into St. Louis and go bra shopping with me?  I really need some help!  Wink

• MBJ

Giselle:  I would love to put your vote in but I think they will make their quota by the 28th.  I will post again after mid-week if it looks like not enough women have responded to the poll.

DawnHope:  That's some great news about cleavage!  My dr. told me he couldn't get me any because my breasts are so far apart so we shall see!  I would love to shop with you but I am already planning a trip to London!  I didn't know that we had to have full coverge bras!  I think we just don't want the bra cutting into the implant and leaving a mark.  It will be interesting to see what fits after this.  I will have to go through my whole closet to see what fits, what doesn't and what looks better and what looks awful!

• MBJ

BTW:  I purchased two Warner's bras and two Spanks to carry me through my TE expansion and I am hoping they fit until I can get a fitting!

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

MBJ- Hmm, stiletto boots!  Another reason to go shopping!  LOL! 

Dawne-Hope-  You might try Nordstroms, again, but make an appointment this time.  Not all the women in the lingerie department are trained to fit post-MX women.  I called and got right in and they were so helpful.  I would have been completely overwhelmed trying to figure out what to even try on!  It was nice having someone there so I didn't have to get dressed and undressed.  She brought in about 10 and I swear 8 of them fit!  (I went to buy 2 and came home with 4!)  If nothing else you could see what fits best and then try to find them online. 

I have to say, though, that I always thought Nordstroms was so expensive but she had me try on some DKNY bras and they were only $27 and $30 and they ended up being the most comfortable of all the ones I bought. 

• vanderlady

The wire-free Warner bras I wore through TE phase hurt me with the implants.  They sorta pulled the implants down and even when I tried to tighten the straps, it left an impression on my recon side.  I did have better luck though with the Maidenform wirefree and absolutely love the Maidenform underwire now. 

• Giselle7

Dawn-Hope - How fun it would be to go bra shopping together. A bra and champagne party sounds like fun. Oh, let's add those stilettos to the mix. Good luck at the MX shop. There is a similar shop near me and I had great luck there. If anything, they will be able to advise you with what is best to look for. 

• Estel

Giselle7 - A bra and champagne party sounds fantastic!  :)  LOL! 

MBJ - London, good for you!  I had a 9 hour layover in Heathrow once and was too motion sick to get out and do any sightseeing.  My next trip overseas is going to be London.  HAVE FUN!!  You so deserve it!  I was marked up too when I got my first peak.  Adds a little drama to the unveiling, I guess!  ;)

Kate33 - I will go to Nordstrom's again, just not tomorrow. And believe me, I will make an appt. the next time. 

Thanks for all your tips, ladies! 

• MBJ

Giselle, DawnHope, Kay & Kate:  You are the party girls I want to go out with LOL!!  (Since I am 6' tall, I will NOT be wearing stilettos!

DawnHope:  A 9 hour layover!  That sounds awful!  This will be our third trip to London and we really love it there--might even head over to Spain since we didn't really get a summer vacation due to all of my surgeries and all.

Can't wait to go bra shopping!  No more padded bras for me, I hope!!!

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Dawne-Hope - I have a couple of Freyas and I can wear them all day without any problem.  They are very comfortable if they fit you well.  The only problem I have is that they show through thin shirts, t-shirts, thin sweaters because there is no padding and there are significant seams.  Several of my bras - like the freya's - don't cover the whole foob but still give great support, so I wouldn't worry about that.  good luck!

• Estel

Kristinka - Thank you!  Hopefully, I'm off to see the bra wizard ....

• MBJ

Kristinka:  Good to know--Thank you!  I was on line last night looking at all of the pretty bras, but before all of this happened, the micro fiber bras have always been the most versatile and comfortable for me. 

DawnHope:  Good luck with the bra wizard!

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

How about a rented limo and champagne as we go from lingerie shop to lingerie shop for our bra party?  Now that would be fun!!!   Which city has the biggest plethora of bra shops? We will meet there!!! :)

• MBJ

OMG Kate:  What a great idea!  I am in!!!