Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• Kate33
    Kate33 Member Posts: 1,936

I wanted to add a suggestion on this thread for those of us who have had NSM and have the added challenge of finding bras with enough coverage.  (Since most of us now have nips that are permanently "on".)  (Like standing in a meat locker "on"!)  I found some great DKNY bras at Nordstroms that gave great coverage, even under the thinnest t-shirts, without a bunch of padding.  One is called the Comfort Extreme T-Shirt Bra (sorry I don't have the style #) and the other is their Demi Bra (style #453079).  They are both underwire and support really well but are extremely comfortable.  They are microfiber with wide back straps.  And they were on sale for $27 and $30!

• jkz
    jkz Member Posts: 158

MBJ. Unfortunately I don't think that I am going to have any cleavage either. Not even with a plunge bra! MY PS told me if I had cleavage before surgery then I would have it after but I highly doubt it. I have an appointment with him today and I am going to ask him if there is any way her can fluff them up a little in between.. Any thoughts on this? As you can see in the picture forum my are quite spread apart. They are a little squishy (much more than the expanders but they are still VERY firm. Any feedback would be great!

Kate I just ordered a DKNY bra. Its very pretty and I hope I like it!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Jennifer -- since you did not have the gummy I'm suprised yours are only a little squishy (that is my description of the gummy!)  Looking at the pics you posted, though, it seem to me you have a good sized IMF.... which should allow you to push them up in a bra.  They move, right?

• Kate33

jkz- I just went and took another look at your photo and I agree with Lilah.  The implants will become even softer over time, too.  Your spacing looks about the same as mine and I have a little cleavage undressed, but in my DKNY underwire- VA-VA-VA-VOOM!  You will, too!!!

• jkz

Lilah,

They are cohesive..Which I think are sort of like gummy??? At least it sounded like they were when he described them to me..

They don't move to easy to tell you the truth. I can sort of push them a bit together but a bra would definitely not! What does IMF mean?

• Kate33

jkz- The silicone implants they use these days are cohesive meaning they're more like a solid than a liquid.  The "gummies" refer to the implants that are more anatomically shaped like a tear drop.  Those are still being testing here in the US (though have been used in Europe and Canada for about 10 years.)  If your PS is participating in a clinical trial they can use them, otherwise they're not approved yet.  More than likely you have the regular silicone cohesive implants and they will continue to soften up and will be easier to move.

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

Dawne:  The Freya bras DO cover the breast mound.  You have to make sure you get the right size.  You are likely larger in the cup size than you realize.  I cannot believe that your Nordstroms does not have someone to work with post-MX patients.  Why don't you call and speak with the manager in the lingerie department about this?

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Deborah - for me, the Freya Pollyanna covers most of the breast mound but the top is not covered, which is kind of nice.  My Natori covers most everything on the other hand.  Yes, size is everything!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Oh my!  Lots of posts and I was only away for about an hour LOL!  I love DKNY bras and Nordstrom is having a great sale right now.  So is Kohls, but I cant go shopping yet!  I am sure I will be able to squish mine together to get cleavage.  They are so soft!  The MX side even more so then my augmented side. 

jhz:  Your dr would know best what can be done or not done!  Me, I have a wide sternum so I was limited to how close together they could be.  Maybe when they drop and fluff, but my dr. said not possible.

Kate:  I thought yours couldn't be pushed together.  That is so great, because they really are beautiful and you should show them off!

• Lilah

Jennifer -- tell me again what implants you have?  The gummy is the Allergan 410 -- a specific cohesive gel implant that feels like a gummy bear.  Mentor CPG is also a cohesive gel implant that is softer than the gummy.  Regular silicone may be "cohesive" but as I understand it is very soft and squishy and not at all like the gummy.  And by IMF I mean inframammary fold; some of us have droopier breasts than others... yours is deeper than mine, for example, and by deeper I mean simply that there is more breast folding over that line underneath the breast where the breast meets the chest.  That implies (to me) that you can lift your breast up a little?  Is that correct? 

My implant is a gummy so it does not move much -- I can lift it a little but I have a very small amount of droop so it can't really go much of anywhere.  For what it's worth, it HAS gotten softer since it first went in and I find it gets softer as times goes on with a little gentle massage... so no matter what you have Jennifer it should soften up.

• MBJ
    So my PS just sent me forwarded me a note he sent to his nurse for her to order me an ugly surgical bra--probably like the one you had, Kate--for my appointment tomorrow.  I guess I won't be bra shopping any time soon.  I also received a call after a few months of waiting, that I was approved by MediCal to have some PT, but as the nurse was trying to schedule my 12 treatments in, she realized it took so long the order was already expired so I guess I will be waiting a bit longer Undecided
  • jkz

Lilah,

I have  Allergans #20, high profile silicone implants..I guess I don't think they feel that squishy because they are high profile? I was actually holding one in my PS office today and they are quite firm..LOL.

Kate I hope you are right but they are very firm and move very little..

Today I had an appt with my PS and I rescheduled my nipple surgery for November 9. He asked me why and I told him I wanted to wait for my implants to settle in more. He said that he didn't think that they were going to fall much more. I also mentioned to him about the fat grafting for the divots. He said that he wait till after my nipples were done to discuss that part.. Urrrghhhh so frustrating.

Can't wait for my DKNY bra to arrive... MBJ,  I didn't know they sold DKNY bras at Kohls I was there the other day and didn't see any!

• Lilah

Interesting Jennifer -- maybe they are more cohesive than the other Allergan silicone?  Do you know if you have textured or smooth?   Textured adhere to the skin and don't move (as you describe) whereas smooth surfaced implants can literally move around within the capsule. 

• jkz

Lilah I think they are smooth but they are quite tight in the pocket and not too much moving is going on...Believe me.. I guess that is good in a way. I would rather have them tighter in the pocket with not too much movement than loose and all over the place.

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

jkz - absolutely better to be tighter.... mine are too loose in the pocket and when I bend over, they feel like they flip out.  Not to mention painful since exchange. Very annoying.  In the process of deciding about a revision... frustrating.... thought I was done with this surgery stuff.   

Kate - Okay, the vavavoom got my attention, so what is the style# for the DKNY? 

MBJ - I have a couple of Kohl's near me (no Nordstroms though unless I want to drive an hour). Do they carry DKNY?

• hmom
    hmom Member Posts: 5

Hi Ladies!

Wow!  Just want to thank all of you for sharing!  What a wealth of info we have here and oh so entertaining!!   SO nice to know I am not alone in this journey! 

I need a little help..I am 4 w post exchange with B MX's - smooth, round, high profile Mentor implants.

I have been shopping for bras for the last 2 weeks... still haven't found that perfect bra. One of my pocket seems a bit looser and the implant tends to drift laterally and inferiorly (out and down).   I was fitted by a nordstrom fitter at a 32 DD (LOL.. still can't get over that shock!!  i was 34A).  My problem is that the bras don't keep one implant where it shoud be...they all just seem too wide and a cup size smaller makes me pop out the top slightly.. which I am wondering if might be better then letting it drift out. My PS's assistant told me to go back to the sports bra... just so limiting with wardrobes!

Any bras you ladies think might work??  Even sports bras too.. all are just too long/wide for me.

• MBJ

Sorry if I missled anyone:  Nordstrom's is having a sale on bras, DKNY, and Kohl's is also having a sale on bras, but, no DKNY:(

• MBJ

hmom:  Have you ever tried the spanx?  I was wearing the spanx up until my exchange and I wonder if this would work.  They won't work under half of my clothes but at least it's better then a sports bra.  It should push them towards the middle and hold them in place and maybe even give you a little bit of cleavage.  I don't know if mine will fit anymore, but I am hoping they will because they are so comfortable.

• MBJ

jkz:  I have an Allergan 20 on my left MX side and from what I can tell it's pretty soft.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    whippetmom - When I went to Nordstrom's the first time there wasn't a surgical fitter around.  I went to a masectomy bra shop today in St. Louis and she told me that I was still pretty swollen on the left side and that I shouldn't be wearing anything too tight.  With insurance she gave a free bra ... a 34 band when I'm actually a 32.  Nordstrom's is located on the other side of the city ... about a 45 minute drive.  I called and asked if they had a surgical fitter and the girl on the phone was short and kind of rude.  To be honest, I've had it with that particular Nordstroms.  I'm glad that particular one is not representative of all of them but after talking with her I didn't want to give them my business.  The least they can be is friendly on the telephone.  It wasn't worth it to drive the extra 45 minutes.  I'm beginning to be concerned that the swelling on the left side of the breast may be lymphedema ... it is sore and comes and goes and there is swelling in my left fingers as well and they hurt.  But ... that is for another thread.  Cry
  • MBJ

dawnehope:  I hope you don't have LE. I am scared that I have it a bit in my back and my dr wants to examine me tomorrow and switch out surgical bras.  I am sorry you had someone rude at Nordstroms--it's rare but it can happen anywhere I suppose.  Good luck on your hunt and I hope the swelling goes down real soon.

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    MBJ - Thank you.  Hope the great unveiling goes wonderful for you!  I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.  Cannot wait to hear about it!  :)
  • MBJ

Me too!!!

• hmom
    hmom Member Posts: 5

MBJ - thanks for the tip on the "spanx" bra.  Where would I find this brand?

Dawn-Hope- So sad the fitter was rude to you! You are not alone with this!.  I had one hear last week at the Mall of America Nordstrom... I left in tears Cry.   She treated me rudely and brought me only about 8 bras ALL from one maker (la Mysterie or something like that) NONE of which provided me with much lateral support and the straps all were too long.  I went back with a friend the next day and had a different fitter - went MUCH better experience.  My friend was wondering if maybe the first one was thinking "reconstruction" might have meant and augmentation revision as I had a NSM and she thinks some of the fitters have real issues with this.  Just a thought... 

Nordstrom really does have a great selection and if you have a girl friend who can do the hooking and adjusting it makes it much more efficient and less painful!

• MBJ

hmom:  I purchased mine on line on sale at Macy's awhile back (they are always having a sale).  I couldn't ever find what I wanted in the store but it shipped fairly quickly.  It's quite stretchy so it's an easy fit.

• whitedove
    whitedove Member Posts: 121

Hello all: Thanks all for your great advice. Seems like there are as many recommendations about bras as there are PSs. Just bringing this up for the LE experts to help make sense of it.  Can anyone comment on whether they have had personal experience with LE being exacerbated by underwires? Undecided Now 2 wks post xch and eager to purchase new bras. It is like the final present we all have been waiting for after having gone on the BC ride.

http://www.implantforum.com/breast-augmentation-faq.html

"Bras - Most breast surgeons suggest wearing only a sports bra after surgery. Some surgeons suggest not wearing an underwire for 6 weeks after surgery, some suggest wearing an underwire bra 24/7. You may find certain bras uncomfortable for a long time, T-shirt bras and other "plain" type bras tend to be the most comfortable as less and other fancy materials tend to itch newly augmented breasts. I do not recommend wearing a bra all the time (after the initial period if the PS suggested it) because it sits tight on your lymph nodes which may not allow the lymph system to be properly cleansed. Underwires: make sure the wire goes around the outside of the implant to fit properly otherwise Underwires can leave an indent in your breast implant"

OK, hope not to confuse things, but this is confusing!

• MBJ

Hi everyone!  Home from my "big reveal"  and I have to say, my PS did a really good job matching them.  I posted the pictures on TimTam's site.

My PS recommended I order a compression bra, the kind with a band on top to keep these breasts down a bit on top.  Never had that problem before Tongue out!  He recommends that I wear the compression bra 24/7 for 3 weeks, then just to sleep in for 3 weeks and then only soft cups up to 6 months and then he doesn't care what I wear!  It is the Style SP Cover Bra 31 from the ContourMd.com website.

• Kate33

MBJ- I'm able to push mine together just am supposed to take it easy until Alloderm has fully "taken".

Just saw your new photos!  Girl, you look absolutely freakin' amazing!!!!  Your PS did an awesome job.  Was your DH happy on "Christmas morning"?  LOL!

vanderlady- The (Va-Va-Va Voom) bra at Nordstroms was the DKNY Demi Bra Style #453079 and I think it was around $30.

hmom- Sorry you had such a bad experience at Nordstroms.  I made sure to tell my fitter I had a NSM because I was wondering if she would think I just had augmentation, too.  I measured at 32D and the DKNY bras seemed to fit me best.  You might want to try those and see if they work.  The other kind I bought were the Natori's I think.

whitedove- I think a lot of PS's don't like the underwires because they push on things they shouldn't if you're not wearing the right size.  (And 8 out of 10 women aren't wearing the right size.)I would definitely recommend everyone have one professional bra fitting to make sure the wires are hitting where they should. 

I don't know if it's o.k. to recommend other sites but if there are any women out there whose size changed after recon (and whose hasn't), and you're having trouble affording new bras, I found this site that is a lot like this one and they have a "Bra Exchange Board".  I haven't been on that thread so I'm not sure how it works but it might be worth checking out.  Here's the link-

http://www.breasthealthonline.org/ 

• Giselle7
    Giselle7 Member Posts: 70

Kate, - It's funny that you mention the bra exchange. I have been wondering what I should do with the bras I have that I cannot wear anymore. They are ever so slightly used and quite lovely. I was a little over zealous after my BR and bought pocketed bras. Really too bad they no longer fit.

hmom - I have noticed that saleswomen get confused between breast augmentation and reconstruction. We need to be very specific when looking for bras and asking for help.

whitedove - It is all too confusing! 

• Kate33

Giselle- My sister just happens to be my old size so she "inherited" about 30 bras in every color of the rainbow!!!