Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

CS - thanks for the link to that fun store!  I bought a few bras from them online before my dx and they indeed have sexy bras for tiny tatas!  Let me tell you, it was a nice change from my TRAINING bras that I always bought in the little girls' dept at Target!

Cleo - hope you get that rash under control.....if only our bodies would behave when we want them to!  And congrats on the 45's....my PS took some in to try for my exchange, but my skin wouldn't stretch enough for them.  Do watch out for doorways, though!Wink

ladysingsdablues - Welcome!  There's no membership required here....just a bunch of women who want info about bras.....and sometimes want to complain about them!  If you need help on style or size, we'll be happy to try to help with that, too.  We learned that lots of docs don't mention bras, but the ones that do are often quite specific.  We represent many different philosophies here, so most likely there's someone who will have information or an opinion for you!

• MicheleS
    MicheleS Member Posts: 196

hi everyone! Had my pre-op appt for my exchange today.  PS told me to buy a couple non-underwire, supportive, front-close sports bras.  He said the the hosp will send me home in a TERRIBLE bra and that I should change it out that 1st evening.  I thought that this was covered somewhere in this thread but can't find it! LOL! can someone point me in the right direction??  I also don't know what size to buy.  My TE's are bigger than I'll be post-exchange... ugh. thx!!!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Michele -- buy an Underscore, front-zip sports bra from JC Penney.  They are inexpensive and stretchy (but supportive).  Did you discuss with your PS what volume implant he is going to use and do you know if he is going larger or smaller?  My guess is if you get something that fits snugly over the TEs it will be fine.  I had a DD size Underscore front zip that I wore with my TE (and remaining native breast) and though I ended up a D the DD was fine what with the swelling and all post implant and reduction surgery.

• MicheleS

Lilah~ I think I need a 32 band.  My TE's are over-filled to 550cc.  The implants will be high profile 375cc.  He said B or C cup but there was no way to know for sure.  I'll buy 1 or each from JCP-- sounds perfect! Thanks!

• MicheleS

Does anyone have any experience with Road Runner sports bras? I'm looking at the "Moving Comfort Iris".

Also, I measured myself last night and around my ribcage, I'm 31cm. Around the top, I'm 34cm (but the TE's are up there).  Around the TE's, I'm 36cm. To remind ya'll, I'm over-filled to 550cc but will be 375cc (allergan 20).  I'm thinking I should order a 34B of whatever I buy... ideas.  I bought 2 hanes front close bras in 34B/C and a zip-front jogbra in small.  Lilah~ jcp doesn't have front close Underscore sprots bras anymore.  :( bummer.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Aw Michele I'm sorry to hear that about the Underscore!

I'll look around and see if I can find another suggestion.

Did you look on ebay for the Underscore?  Maybe someone is selling one there (lots of new stuff is sold there).

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Hi Everyone!  Yesterday, I went for my professional fitting at Nordstroms but I wasn't that impressed--I am better at finding a bra that fits!  I paid attention to all of your suggestions here--down in bnd width up in cup.  I am not allowed to wear an underwire for 6 months and Nordstroms didn't have much in the way of wireless and none of the ones that they had fit at all.  I did notice that they had a Donna Karan bra with extra padding where the wire is, but I ran out of time and will have to go back to try them on.  Having broad shoulders has always limited me to what I can wear with clothes and with bras.  I did pick up a zip up the front sports bra to wear as an alternate to the medical bra they have me wearing since the darn thing doesn't work under clothes and the strap across the front doesn't stay up even when I am sleeping!  I only have to wear it during the day for one more week but boy is that thing a pain!!  The sports bra I purchased is pricey: MovingComfort High Impact Grace locking zip front.  It also has a pocket for a prosthetic.  It is a comprssion bra in and of itself and I got it in a size c/d.  I tried on some sheer stretch lace bras which aren't practical but pretty by Wacoal that I might get in 6 months but the Chantelles, for the most part, didn't fit me except for the balconette styles.  The bra fitter measured my band size, guessed at the cup and overall I fit in everything from a 34D to a 36 C or D.  No double D's for me, though! LOL!  I ended up at Victoria's Secret and purchased two no wire bras in 36D (again the 34D's were too narrow and they don't come in double D, at least not for me to try on).  VS also has a new padded underwire bra called the Incredible but it doesn't have adjustable straps, kind of like a Spanx bra, and I wasn't crazy about the look/fit.  I am still waiting for the bras that I purchased on line, some Warner's Tuxedo Wireless in 36D.  Anything else will have to wait though I could really use a strapless wireless bra that is not a bandeau--anyone find something like this out there???

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780

MBJ - Thanks for the link for your compression bra.  This whole bra thing has me so frustrated! I was sent home after my exchange with the same bra they gave me after my DMX.  It was too big, velcro and the velcro didn't hold tight.  Not much support.  I was told to wear exercise bras and thought that meant the kind that smoosh you.  Learned quickly that wasn't going to work.  Had ONE exercise bra that zipped up the front and I've basically lived in the thing the last few weeks. 

Do we have to wear, should we wear a compression bra from here on out?  I don't have one, never had one, is it worth it to get one?  My PS said no underwires for three months.  I bought one anyway and it does hurt when I wear it so I've stopped wearing it for now.  I bought a couple of wacoal soft cups.  They feel pretty good.  But they don't hold tight for a sleep bra.  And I'm wearing out my lone zip up the front exercise bra.  Thanks, ladies.

• MBJ

Dawnhope:  From what I understand, the compression bra or excercise bra is supposed to help keep down the swelling and also stimulate healing.  It takes about 6 weeks for them to heal enough to not have to wear one 24/7.  I have the opposite problem--I am too tall and the velcro straps fully extended did into my shoulders.  I am switching it up but making sure I am wearing something that compresses my breast all of the time.  If you get another form fitting zip front sports bra this should be plenty.  If you want to get the breasts to lay more naturally, you can substitute an ace bandage wrapped around a couple times.  the compression bra is pricey $$$.

• val61

Dawn and MBJ - not all PS's - like mine - advocate a compression bra after exchange, except for high-impact exercise   Although he taped me up pretty tightly at surgery, it wasn't exactly compressive.  Then I went in the soft wireless for a couple day's til I could get fitted with the underwire.  He does insisnt that the bra fit tightly (both in band and straps) for the best support.  The thing you want to be careful of in a compression bra that's NOT wired is that it doesn't push the implants laterally.  That would be pretty easy.   As for a sleep bra, I still sleep in underwire, but that's because they're weirdly comfortable for me and I'm too paranoid about sliding foobs to change right now.  Kristinka has a Marena bra that she really likes for sleep.  I'll ask her to repost that info so you don't have to try to find it in the thread.  Then I'll add it to the list at the beginning.

MBJ - Sorry your Nordie's experience wasn't better.  You'd think in your area they'd be just fabulous....oh, well.  Glad you learned enough from here to fit yourself!  I've checked a couple of the wireless bras I've recommended for others, but they don't come 34DD, which it sounds like you need.  You might try this one:  http://www.herroom.com/Wacoal-85226-Everyday-Soft-Cup-Bra.shtml (sorry, you'll have to paste it in your browser 'cause mine won't let me link).  It's very supportive and the info even suggests it as a post-augmentation surgery bra. Might be worth a try. 

• MBJ

Val:  I thought the same thing about Nordstroms!  I went to the one at the grove and the woman who helped me was extremely obese at 5' tall and 300 + lbs, so maybe she just didn't know what to do with me:  a tall stick with breasts LOL!  The Wacoal soft cups didn't fit me--I am too broad in the shoulders and going up a cup size didn't help.  I think that I now can vary anywhere between a 34D to a 36 C or D and I will just have to stick to wider styles so I don't get cut off at the sides.  I did buy a $82 Chantelle Balconet bra for later at TJ Max for $19.99!!  For fun, I bought a couple of Daisy Fuentes stretch lace underwire sets on line at Kohl's for $8.99 (reg $25).  I also purchased the Warners no wire front close t-back for $9.99  in a 36C at TJ Max and on line at Kohls I also purchsed the Tuxedo no wire bras for $15.99.  Add the two VS no wire bras and the sports bra and I have an entire bra wardrobe except for a strapless.  Any recommendations?  They all fit kind of weird.

• vanderlady
    vanderlady Member Posts: 122

MBJ - wow.... seems like you went on a bit of a bra buying spree.  haha.  I know you have been itching to get out there.  Glad you were able to find a few that you like.  I did the same thing and then once I got home, I'd wear them for a couple of hours with the tags on to make sure they didn't irritate me.  I ended up taking a bunch of bras back once I zeroed in on the ones I liked best.  Enjoy! Pam

• MBJ

Vanderlady:  I have been trying them out, too!  I like the Warner T Strap Front Close the best, as is doesn't feel so big and padded like the other no-wire bras I purchased.  The Chantelle will be fine once I heal and it's impossible to wear even for a few minutes because of my incisions.  I had a drawer full of bras before all of this and so many of my clothes required a particular bra!  I also have a huge bag of clothes I am giving away to my sister in law because they no longer fit with my new foobs, which means of course, more shopping LOL!

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

MBJ:  You have to come down to South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa - to the new Nordstroms.  These fitters are fabulous!  Also, you will be a 34DD in a Freya or Chantelle bra - once you can wear an underwire bra. 

Deborah

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966

I am the same way with Bras MBJ.

The fitters cannot fit me. I am broad.. yet thin..???????/ I do believe, we are the most difficult to figure out.

I buy.. 36C and 34D. Both feel the same. I like the comfort of the 36C... I have never tried 34DD. I will try to get one on EBAY... this way.. it will be a cheap try. I can only wear NON under wire now.

• vanderlady

MBJ - I'll have to look for the Warner T strap front close.  I found a Calvin Klein front close at TJ Maxx (underwire) that I like and am able to wear with my t-back shirts.  Haven't tried on a Chantelle yet.  

• vanderlady

Whippet -- I used to live in Costa Mesa many moons ago.  Great place... we lived near 18th and the newport line.  Used to work at Fashion Island so I hardly ever have to go on the highways.  .

• val61

I'm jealous of y'all who have gotten such great deals at the Maxx and such!  About the only thing I've seen at mine - and believe me, I'm a frequent shopper there! - are a couple of Natori's.  And of course, no 30's, and even in 32's they've all been 32B or C.  C'est la vie....

BTW.....are we still on for a bra shopping adventure in Vegas?   If only they had a "My Intimacy Boutique" there.  Hey, MBJ......why don't you try that store in LA?  They're supposed to be fabulous.  As soon as I have a free day, I intend to head to the one in my area (about an hour away).

• Kristinka
    Kristinka Member Posts: 223

Just another plug for Marshalls - I found two Natori bras there last week for 19.99 - and the same style at Nordstrom goes for over $50.  Val, I saw quite a few 32s there and even one 32F.  I'll check for 30s next time.  I like how the bras are arranged by size so it is easy to pick up 5-10 and try them on.  My size is 34D and they have lots in that size, so I'm feeling pretty fortunate.

• MBJ

Deborah:  I had a hard time fitting into the 34DD but that might have been the Wacoal.  Couldn't find a Chantelle in the 34DD so I purchased a 36C.  BTW I used to live in Costa Mesa/Newport/Balboa area!  I haven't been to South Coast Plaza in eons!  I might just have to check it out but I think I will postpone any more bra burchases until I can wear an underwire.  Anyone find a good strapless bra?  They all seem to fit funny on me now.

• MBJ

Does nyone know who the contacts are for the new TimTam site?  There are a couple girls asking on exchange city.

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490

I think it's still TimTam. Do you still have the email from them?

• MBJ

tim tam referred her to someone named Heidi but we aren't sure who Heidi is!

• val61

MBJ - I completely understand about the strapless bras; a good one is hard to find.  I have two, and both are by Fantasie, but they're underwire and molded, so not great for you at this point.  If you're still fairly fresh post-exchange (less than 3 months), I wouldn't wear a strapless for longer than an hour or so - just not enough support at this point, but of course, that's just my opinion.  I haven't seen a wireless that's not a bandeau style, but I'll keep looking. 

• Estepp
    Estepp Member Posts: 2,966

OK.. this is just me... BUT... if you have a little top.. or evening dress... or anything along these lines... and you are only going to wear it a few times a month.... and its strapless.. WHY IN THE WORLD do you need a strapless bra...LOL LOL.. I wear a LOT of tube top dresses and tubetop... tops... and I am in them about 6 hours when I wear them.. maybe 5 times a month... I have NO NEED to even wear a bra with these now.... the " sister" hang tight with me these days...

Also.. a strapless bra gives you NO real support... ( Nordys girl assured me of this... as my PS says the same).... so WHY wear one ever????????????? LOL

MBJ..... fill me in... help me understand WHY us perky girls need a strapless bra???

lol

I understand why we need a good support bra daily ( the masses and all...)

• Estel

Hi ladies!  I'm in serious need of some exercise bras.  What are your favorites?  And with those, how do they run; small, large?  I'm a 32C or D depending on the bra and I've started back to the gym and what I have isn't going to work and I'm wondering what's been good for you.  Thanks!

• val61

Excellent point, Laura!  To be perfectly honest, I never considered NOT wearing a bra......weird......  I think I'd be too self-conscious not to have one on.....I'm self conscious enough just having foobs at all that I think everybody looks at me......(maybe that explains why all the old guys ask me for advice in the grocery store....lol...)   I must admit, though, that I'm really not comfortable without a bra on.  Maybe it's because I never had boobs before, so I don't know what to expect.  But my foobs just feel kinda heavy and are much happier campers when they're contained.  I'm probably weird that way.....  Then there's the whole issue of my fear of the left one moving again......and I have no intention of revisiting THAT anytime soon!

But you're right......strapless bras are not very supportive.....they're essentially modesty preservers......for those of us with new nips, that is.......lol.......

• val61

Dawne-Hope - I PM'd you..........

• asr51
    asr51 Member Posts: 28

I know this topic is for bras after the exchange, but can any of you tell me what you wore while you had TE's in?  It's very uncomfortable if I don't wear a bra.  Right now I have a sports bra that I bought from Soma that clasps in the back.  It's fine, but it is high up, so there are several tops that I can't wear.  I'm looking for something that is comfortable, but more like a regular bra than a sports bra.

Thanks,

Ann 

• Estel

asr51 - I couldn't stand a bra when I had my TE's.  I wore a lot of cami's with shelf bras in them.