Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Bras 101: The Great Post-Exchange Debate

Comments

• ericavw
    ericavw Member Posts: 51

Thanks again, Val! I was looking online today at the Donna Karan wire free "Life in Motion" sports bra. # 457058. I really like how the Tata Tamer looks though!! I was just trying to find it in white on eBay. They have it in just about every other color right now. Haha, figures! For sizing in the Tata Tamer... I measure a 34C. Of course, that feels totally uncomfortable to me. I prefer to wear a 36C, but as most women, I apparently always wore the wrong bra size. Knowing this bra better than me, do you think I should get the 34 or 36?

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969
    Erica-  You probably shouldn't ask me, 'cause I'm ALWAYS going to say to err on the smaller band side.....Wink    That bra isreally quite true to size......maybe runs a tiny bit big in the band.  Cup size is right on.  If you usually wear a 34C, then IF you sized up, you'd need a 36B to have the same cup size. If you haven't been professionally fitted and you want me to help you figure it out, you're welcome to send me your measurments in a PM.   What I need is the measurement of your chest right under your implants - holding the tape snug, but not stretching it.  The other measurement is a bit weird, but it's about the only way to size with implants.  It's the measurement from the center of your cleavage (which might touch your implant or might not), then up and over the top of the implant (across the nipple line), then ending at the lateral (outside) edge of the implant.  That's the most accurate cup measurement for implants, and I've used it several times lately, and it's pretty darn accurate.
  • ericavw
    Sending you a PM now. Wink
  • whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028

erica:  I have the Anita wireless sports bra and it is very supportive.  Here it is on Ebay in white...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anita-64-Extreme-Control-Sports-Bra-Rosa-Faia-Wht-32C-/130389229261?pt=US_CSA_WC_Intimates&hash=item1e5bcdbecd

And here it is on herroom.com, where you can read the positive ratings...

http://www.herroom.com/anita-5527-molded-sports-bra.shtml

You definitely want to get the 32 band....

But are you sure you are not a "D" cup?

• fire-dancer
    fire-dancer Member Posts: 444

Deborah - that is a really cute bra, and looks super-supportive!  I might have to check that one out, too!

I get so confused with band sizes, too.  I went to get measure, and they said 34-C, I tries on 36's and they were more comfortable.  My ribcage measures 30 in, so I don't think I understand the measurment-thing too well...

• ericavw

Thanks, Deborah. And I'm in Megan's exact boat! I measure a 34C, but 36C's are infinitely more comfortable. I bought a 34D and 36C bra in the same exact brand and style (Victoria's Secret) and while they feel pretty similar, the 34D feels a bit better. Where my drain was from my MX on the left side... is still somewhat swollen, so when I go anywhere under the 34 band size, I get ridiculous back fat/puffyness going on on the side... but NOT the other side. I'm really not sure what to do! My underchest measurement is also 30".

• ericavw

And just to add here... I've always been told I have a wide back, wondering if that's my problem? I really have no clue. I just want to get the proper size, and it be reasonably comfortable.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671

Erica & Firedancer:  I have a 30" rib cage and I wear a 34D or 36C-D.

• ericavw

Okay, good to know. Thanks, Mary! Although, I DID buy a cute bathing suit top from Victoria's Secret in a 36C is it's on the verge of being enormous in the cup and too tight in the back. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642

The sports bras you ladies mention above all look super supportive! But do they make any that have clasp/zip in the front? I am getting really tired of wearing my very high-necked compression vest. 

• MBJ

Erica:  I have a hit miss experience with VS fitting.  I have never tried their swimsuits (I have a drawer full, lol), but not all of their bras fit the same and I imagine it's the same fit.  I love their Ipex and their Angel bras as these fit my body perfectly, including now being wider.  I know some of their swimsuits are based on their bras, but I am not sure if they have these styles.  They are great about free returns, though.

• MBJ

Rennausas:  I found a great supportive non-slip zip front at Nordstroms when I had my fitting.  I had to buy it in a Large (I was 34DD at exchange and now I am a 34D).  It's by Moving Comfort.  I know they have less expensive ones at Wallmart and JCPenney, but I never tried those. 

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631

Yes I bought an Underscore (a few actually) zip front wirefree sports bra from JC Penney (inexpensive too)... wore them all through TEs and also in the early months post exchange.

• fire-dancer

MBJ, interesting about VS, I went and got fitted there and the fitting was completely off, I wasn't comfortable in the size she brought out, I think it was a 34 C, I didn't even clasp it I knew it wouldn't fit the foobs!   ...too small,  I'm going to have to try an assortment and see, I love their bra's, hope some of them fit me right :-)

Rennasus  - I don't have any that clasp in the front, but I found some lower-cut sports bras that clasp in the back at Marshalls & TJ Maxx.  They were hi-impact and fit nice and snug.  They have formed cups, but are non-wired.  The thing I found was I went to Marshalls, found one brand (Marika) that I really liked then I went over and cleaned out TJ's of the same brand & model...I was so psyched they both carried it!  I know you are looking for front-closures, but I just do these in front than swing them around to fit around back.  I do like the lower sports cut bras now that it is warming up, much less noticable in clothes!

Erica - if only we lived close enough to go bra shopping together!!! Wouldn't it be nice to share the ill-fitting-bra drama?!?!? ;-)

• ericavw

Megan: I still have yet to venture to TJ Maxx and Marshall's. Maybe I'll try this weekend, cause I reallyyyyyyyyy need something a bit more supportive. And funny, 34C is what Victoria's Secret measured me at too... but when I pulled it up, sooooooo uncomfortable. Way too tight! Especially on my MX side in the back. I think I'm still a tad puffy over there. I got the 36C and 34D's there. Frustrating that everyyyy bra is so different.

Mary: I bought the Body by Victoria Wireless bra and that in the 34D is soooooooooooooo comfy and I totally feel held in by that. I also bought the Biofit wireless in a 36C and had that mailed to me... hate it. Looks so damn cute, but totally uncomfy. I know I'm only 2 1/2 weeks out on my exchange so that's probably also a part of it. Stinks cause I thought that bra was so cute! I'm becoming a bra whore. Lol.

• MBJ

Erica:  The Biofit doesn't work for me at all, only the two I mentioned plus the Body by VS Wireless which I have 2 of. 

• MBJ

PS:  I think you will both need a D or a double D for the width of the implant.

• fire-dancer

Erica - I'm puffy under the arms towards my back - I've never had "back fat" but in certain cami-tanks it's happening! yes, I know it will go back to normal eventually but yikes for now ;-)   It's progressivley been going down, but it's still there, so I hear ya loud & clear about the strap-thing...

MBJ - I think I could quite possible be borderline 'D'...I mean, I fit a 36 C, but if I have a 30" ribcage, how would a 36 band be good?  I would imagine I'd move up a cup and down a band size or 2, like a 32 D? Does that sound right? I have NEVER had to worry about cup-size, growing up and adulthood was all about the itty bitty bra!

• MBJ

Firedancer:  Whippetmom is the expert on guessing bra size, but usually it's go down in the band and up in the cup.  I would think a 34D might do it.  Try taking a measurement around your back, under the arm pits and across the top of your chest.  My number there is 34 which is my band size.

• MBJ
    Band size
    Measure under your armpits, high on your back, and across the top of your chest, above your breasts.

How many inches do you get? If this measurement is an even number, that will be your band size. If it's an odd number, add 1 inch and that will be your band size. So if you measure 34 inches around, your band size will be 34. And if you measure 35 inches around, your band size will be 36.

Cup size
    Measure loosely around the biggest part of your chest, keeping the measuring tape level with the ground.

Got that number? Now subtract your band measurement from your cup measurement. Each inch represents a cup size. For example, if your band measurement is 34 inches and your cup measurement is 35 inches, the difference is one inch, and your cup size is A. If your band measurement is 34 inches and your bust measurement is 37 inches, the difference is three inches, and your cup size is C.

Difference (band minus cup measurement) / Cup size
    Less than 1" / AA
    1" / A
    2" / B    
    3" / C
    4" / D
    5" / DD
  • fire-dancer
    MBJ - thanks so much!  I'll be doing the measurments today Smile
  • MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467

About band sizes - I too thought I was a 36 but I'm now wearing a 34 after being professionally measured.

It was explained to me that you want it to be a snug fit so that the bra stays in place on your rib cage using the first set of eyes (closest to the end of the fabric).  As the bra band stretches out you can then move the hooks further in for a tighter fit and still have the bra fit snugly.

Did I explain that right?

• Lilah

You did Marie!

• MBJ

BTW:  The measuring instructions are only a guide!   There are so many variants on sizing between styles and brand, you have to do a close guess and just try on alot of bras to see what is going to work.  Happy bra shopping!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642

Ladies: Thank you all for the bra sizing, style & brand tips. A-shoppin' I will go! ;-)

• debbieg2010
    debbieg2010 Member Posts: 12

I am a little new here. I wished I would have found this topic sooner.I recently was taken out of my surgical bra and my PS said I could wear a good support bra with no underwire. I went looking and trying on bras not realizing that it was going to be so hard.I could not find anything so I left the store and cried for 2 days thinking I would never be able to fit in a normal bra again and that I would have to wear a tank sports bra and just look flat. I finally found a store that did fittings and worked with BC patients.The girl that fitted me said that I should wear a 32 D or E and I said NO WAY but she brought me some to try on and they were way too big. I told her that I felt like I would be a 34 B or C. My emotions were beginning to take over and I started just to leave.This girl was supposed to be trained in fitting bras but I think she was in LAH LAH LAND. She finally brought me a Antia Brand #5529 sports bra in a 34B which fit pretty good. I bought it and then got out of there and cried all the way home because it is just another Sports Bra.I have no nipples and did not realize they took up that little space at the point of the bra to give it a better fit.I had my exchange Jan.18,2011 (silicone gel implants 500CC's). I still have to go back for more surgery for touch ups and have nipples tattooed on. I can not have skin grafting because my skin is too thin.This has been a hard journey.I did go online and found a website http://www.lindasonline.comthat carries the Anita Brand and I bought style#5493,#5521,#5300 and a Wacoal #85276, they all fit pretty good. It has been comforting reading your stories of struggling with the bra issue and that I am not alone during this difficult time.

Thanks girls

• Lilah

Aw so sorry you had such a hard time DebbieG.  I remember my first bra shopping trips about 3 weeks post-exchange and they were depressing.  For me it was a little too soon (the bras were uncomfortable due to the healing I still had to do) and it was really hard finding good wire free bras.  I also ended up with Anitas and Wacoals early on, which is funny because I always wore Wacoals pre-MX.  Another brand that I found some nice wire free bras in was Chantelle... which you can find on Herroom.com.  Also if/when you feel up to it, check out the Victoria's secret wire free bras... they have a great and pretty variety -- just don't let the girls fit you -- fit yourself!)  There's plenty of info here in this thread about how to tell if the fit is right.

• debbieg2010
    debbieg2010 Member Posts: 12

Lilah, Thanks so much for the information. I will check them out and out of all the other information here I should be able to find something.

• MBJ

Debbie:  Glad you found us and sorry you are going through such a rough time.  Try going up to the middle of this thread and I posted the info as to how to get to the approximate size you should be.  We are all a bit frustrated in the beginning of the bra hunt.  I had no luck at first but found the best fitting ones for me were on line at Victoria's Secret, but we all have our favorites here!  What fits one person doesn't fit another.  I went to Nordstroms and made an appointment with the woman who works with MX women and she did a so, so job but it helped me narrow down what size I should be wearing and I used these numbers to buy on line.  VS does free returns, too, so you can try in the privacy of your own home.  The wireless Body by VS, the wireless Ipex and the wireless pushup bras were what I started out with.  Now I can wear some underwires, too, though my mx side is a bit wider.

• val61
    val61 Member Posts: 969

Welcome to Debbie, Ranassus, and Marie!  We are happy to help you as best we can!  

A little tip on bra sizing:  STAY AWAY FROM THE VICTORIA SECRET CHICKS!!  They really don't know what they're doing - great for teeny-boppers, but horrible for us bc girls - and I've heard more stories of tears as a result.  Try to go to a department or specialty store that caters to bc customers  - though as Debbie illustrated, it doesn't always work (so sorry for you, sweetie!).  I am also happy to help you if you PM me your measurements.

In general, most of the bra fit guides will tell you if you have measure 30" under the bust - a very common measurement, btw - then you should wear a 34 band.  I personally disagree.  I'd go 32.  Yes, it's snug, but that's actually the idea!  If you've ever watched any bra fitting shows on Oprah, etc, they always say that women tend to wear too large a band size.  Absolutely true!  So, when you down in the band, you have to increase the cup size, as it's based on proportion to the band.  

Now, I've been using a different method than the one MBJ mentioned to measure, and it seems to be pretty darn good for implants. This method allows for the wider width of implants, which is why we need bigger cups than we look like we need.  All you need to do is measure from the very center of your cleavage, then up and over the implant, stopping at the outisde edge of the implant.  

You are welcome to PM me your measurements, or there's a chart that I linked on the start of this thread that will do it, too.Smile